• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Aren't they first-party to Microsoft, though?
Yeah which makes them 3rd party to anyone else. Though between Sony and Microsoft, I'm far more convinced that Nintendo could reach an agreement with Microsoft then they would with Sony. Not that I think it's probably happening either way.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to play Smash Switch bingo?:

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-for-switch-roster-bingo-thread.453925/

Surprisingly the bingo was easy to think through and fun to do. Here is my bingo:

If you wanna know more about my reasonings, I recently posted them in that thread for those that wanna know.
Neat idea. Heres my bingo card

Theres are pretty much the most realistic choices I feel we will get it. I'd be shocked if anyone outside of it makes it in the game at this point. (Maybe isabelle or Pauline? but thats stretching for now).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is anyone going to play Smash Switch bingo?:

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-for-switch-roster-bingo-thread.453925/

Surprisingly the bingo was easy to think through and fun to do. Here is my bingo:

If you wanna know more about my reasonings, I recently posted them in that thread for those that wanna know.

Theres are pretty much the most realistic choices I feel we will get it. I'd be shocked if anyone outside of it makes it in the game at this point. (Maybe isabelle or Pauline? but thats stretching for now).
Reminder that the center case is supposed to be free.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Theres are pretty much the most realistic choices I feel will get it. I'd be shocked if anyone outside of it makes it in the game at this point. (Maybe isabelle or Pauline? but thats stretching for now).
Except for Rex + Pyra and Spring Man that I feel might not have been considered at the time Sakurai decided his roster (and that, we're not even sure), looks solid. Probably because I also don't know who else could get in at this point. As you said, Isabelle and Pauline, and maaaaaybe Paper Mario.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Top 10? Why not a top 25?

25) Excitebiker
24) Phoenix Wright
23) Badge Bunny
22) Samurai Goroh
21) Dark Link
20) :038:
19) Matthew
18) Nibbles
17) Sceptile
16) Waluigi
15) Scorpion
14) Morrigan
13) :snake:
12) Kamek
11) Black Shadow
10) Daisy
9) Ninten
8) Midna
7) Urban Champion
6) King K. Rool
5) Dynal
4) Isaac
3) Daitoryo
2) Bandana Waddle Dee
1) Maxwell

Might be a little outdated, and Snake's a vet, but I'd still like to see all these guys.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Aren't they first-party to Microsoft, though?
Yeah, but that doesn't matter. If Nintendo doesn't own the rights and the property isn't public domain, it's third party.

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Top 10? Why not a top 25?

25) Excitebiker
24) Phoenix Wright
23) Badge Bunny
22) Samurai Goroh
21) Dark Link
20) :038:
19) Matthew
18) Nibbles
17) Sceptile
16) Waluigi
15) Scorpion
14) Morrigan
13) :snake:
12) Kamek
11) Black Shadow
10) Daisy
9) Ninten
8) Midna
7) Urban Champion
6) King K. Rool
5) Dynal
4) Isaac
3) Daitoryo
2) Bandana Waddle Dee
1) Maxwell

Might be a little outdated, and Snake's a vet, but I'd still like to see all these guys.
Like nintales in here, I think it would be super cool if they would add a bunch of awesome pokemon in smash. There is so much room for creativity in special moves because duh they are pokemon. I should make my own game: "Super Smash Bros Pokemon". It would basically be smash with only pokemon characters. :laugh:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Like nintales in here, I think it would be super cool if they would add a bunch of awesome pokemon in smash. There is so much room for creativity in special moves because duh they are pokemon. I should make my own game: "Super Smash Bros Pokemon". It would basically be smash with only pokemon characters. :laugh:
I've honestly always thought this would be a cool idea. Might dilute the "special-ness" of Smash a bit, but the idea of a Pokemon-centric spin-off has always appealed. I suppose we have Pokken now, which is a 3D Pokemon fighting game, but it's not quite the same :)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So what are some stages that you think will return? Mario Circuit (MK8) and Onett are rather safe bets for me. Maybe Spear Pillar as DLC when/if we get D/P remakes

D

Deleted member

WARNING!! WATCHMOJO DID THIS AGAIN:

What do you think about Tails, Shovel Knight and Crash being included in Smash Bros for Switch?
WatchMojo makes a list for everything under the sun (usually pointless) but at least they are better than "The Gamer"s top 10 channel. Its sad that the guy in WatchMojo sounds like he actually knows what hes talking about when it comes to gaming, yet a top 10 channel called The Gamer does not and barely researches anything in his videos.
Off-Topic, but I dislike both WatchMojo and TheGamer.
TheGamer's thumbnails are so fake and clickbaity it is not even funny. I do not think The Gamer researches anything at all. He steals people's stuff and makes them to thumbnails even.
WatchMojo.... just no.
Why does Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition's boxart look so similar to Smash Wii U's? haha.

Maybe it was made around the same time as Smash 4, and one of them liked the other. So that is why.
In all seriousness, what is your favorite cover? My favorite boxart cover was the Brawl one's.
I think the Smash for Switch one could look similar to the Wii U, considering they want to show off their characters clear enough to identify quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I prefer Melee and N64 covers myself. They fight appear to be fighting in them rather than making a dynamic pose. I hope the cover for next game return to the characters appearing to fight each other.

Morbi

Scavenger
I prefer Melee and N64 covers myself. They fight appear to be fighting in them rather than making a dynamic pose. I hope the cover for next game return to the characters appearing to fight each other.
The trend seems to be very clear that they are heading toward an even more generic cover, if you ask me; however, I definitely agree with you. The earlier covers were much better. Albeit, it probably has less to do with them fighting and more to do with nostalgia in my case.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hey, I made one of those bingo things!

I tried to pick only likely characters (and Lycanroc, who is the least likely on here)

Morbi

Scavenger
>Black Shadow

Really, thats your pick for an all-star? I would say there are bigger characters in his own game.

Usually, when people say there aren't any Nintendo characters, its that they set the bar overly high or don't have the creativity to think about some. Here is some areas they can still draw from.

• Mario in General as ever character in this series is better known that a lot of video game series
  • Zelda has too few characters, especially now that BoTW was a success and the game had a host of characters that even got amiibo
  • Star Fox is well known by the main stream, so you could add Slippy and Peppy down the road (Slippy could work now if based off StarFox Guard)
  • Interestingly, Kirby is possible, mostly as Japanese fans feel this series is underrepresented (similar to Zelda over here)
  • Pokemon
  • Isabelle - one of the biggest characters not in Smash.
And I'm saying top-tier characters, nit just who they can pick. I think this list is a good example of what the average player will be familiar with. So there is a lot of areas they can draw from. Additionally, people would argue that Inklings would be All-stars now, so new characters will always draw interest even as the pool of older characters shrinks
Oh, no, no, no, no, no-no. I just want Black Shadow, he is my personal "bias" pick that I know will never get into the game. Definitely not an all-star. Albeit, compared to the trash that is left, you could probably make the case for it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
WARNING!! WATCHMOJO DID THIS AGAIN:

What do you think about Tails, Shovel Knight and Crash being included in Smash Bros for Switch?
predicts Geno
calls ARMS "one of Nintendo's best [franchises]"
Why did I waste time even skipping through another watchmojo video.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Let's see how far I can get:

1. Bomberman - I would get Smash on launch
2. King K. Rool
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Lolo/Lololo (Eggerland/Kirby) - I don't care since they practically look the same anyway, a trap-base Kirbyesque character would be neat to play as
5. Mimikyu
6. Geno
7. Tom Nook
8. Bandana Dee
9. Marx

I can't think of anything else.

Sakurai considering Mega Man a special case implies that he does consider iconicness a factor. Just because Geno may have been considered or even someone Sakurai wanted doesn't mean that iconicness as a factor should be thrown out the window. At the end of the day, he didn't get in and what we got did. Bayonetta doesn't count seeing as she was the Ballot winner among realizable characters.

I was also not saying you thought that Shovel Knight and Shantae are shoe-ins but that a lot of the fan base jump to the assumption that if they scream hard enough, they'll get in. It doesn't consider that not only do they have to be popular, they have to stand out among first and third-party characters in how wanted they are. Sonic, Mega Man, and Bayonetta stood out in their demand, Shovel Knight, and arguably Geno does not.
If Sakurai only wanted iconic 3rd party characters then why was Geno seriously considered twice? I could understand if he considered him once and dismissed hm for being too obscure, but he didn't. Also Geno doesn't stand out in his demand? Sakurai literally pointed out how Geno was very popular and had a lot of requests; that's the reason he got a Mii costume.

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

He was seemingly left out in favor of more iconic characters, but there aren't as many iconic characters to choose from, so there is less competition for the unique fan favorite Geno.

Hell even Sakurai seems unsure of if there are any iconic 3rd party characters worth adding at this point.

—Still, Ryu and Cloud crossing over into Smash must surely be a smash hit with long-time gamers. You really know how to make people happy.
Sakurai: At the same time, gamers from that generation probably already have all the characters they could want. Mega Man has also joined the fray, so there might not be anyone left.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Also lack of iconicness might not be an issue if Sakurai sees Geno as more of a Mario character than a guest character.

In any case, Sakurai clearly has interest in the character, and that shouldn't go ignored.[/quote]

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
predicts Geno
calls ARMS "one of Nintendo's best [franchises]"
Why did I waste time even skipping through another watchmojo video.
Honestly, Geno seems like a decent prediction. What, with Sakurai trying to get him twice, or something to that effect? He got his precious little Mii costume, as well.

Beyond that, regardless of their opinions on Arms, an Arms character is inevitable, even if not on the base roster.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’ve always thought melee’s cover was weird
When I was a kid I thought they were all fighting a bonfire or something

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The only reason Geno would get in would be if Sakurai's opinion matters for character picks and he is a huge fan of the character. He's an obscure one-shot (and a tiny cameo) character with barely any personality from an old game from a third-party with more popular characters even after Cloud.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Just a thought, but I'd love to see Smash Switch have a replay/snapshot mode like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey, respectively. I love capturing replays, but I feel like it'd be really cool to edit them like you could in Mario Kart 8 where you could slow down or speed up a moment and alter the angle or zoom in and out on a certain event in a battle, almost like how I'm sure they are able to edit them for trailers and screenshots on the sites and what not. And it'd be so cool to have filters for screenshots you take and the level of control you had in Super Mario Odyssey was really cool in my opinion. Imagine having a neon filter like one of the newer updates in Odyssey and seeing your battle with that on it! And of course, easily sharing your replays and screenshots online to Youtube or social media. Also, no more making replays unwatchable with updates, that was lame lol

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner was unsurprisingly Camilla of the Norhrian siblings. Leon was the second most wanted with Xander right after. Then there Elise. lol

Next will be the last Fates poll and FINAL Fire Emblem poll ever. This one will be mostly Fates fan favorites. Your picks are Niles, Azura, Oboro, and Rinkah.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Still making my prediction roster... lord I've put too much thought into this.

I need your guy's input. I was wondering do you think Pokken tournament and Hyrule Warriors hurts several certain Pokemon and Zelda characters chances. As a reminder Sakurai is the guy who would not add a stage hazard because "Playstation all stars did that already" Personally I don't think he will add Decidueye because he wants to be different and original.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I need your guy's input. I was wondering do you think Pokken tournament and Hyrule Warriors hurts several certain Pokemon and Zelda characters chances. As a reminder Sakurai is the guy who would not add a stage hazard because "Playstation all stars did it" Personally I don't think he will add Decidueye because he wants to be different and original.
Honestly there's a decent chance Sakurai didn't even know Decidueye was being added to Pokken when he decided the roster. He has "insider information" but that still doesn't mean he knows everything. I doubt Pokken will hurt anything. And in regards to Hyrule Warriors, I see that having a better chance of helping something than hurting. Especially since Nintendo has been all over Hyrule Warriors.

Morbi

Scavenger

I need your guy's input. I was wondering do you think Pokken tournament and Hyrule Warriors hurts several certain Pokemon and Zelda characters chances. As a reminder Sakurai is the guy who would not add a stage hazard because "Playstation all stars did it" Personally I don't think he will add Decidueye because he wants to be different and original.
That is an odd question, normally, I see people using those games for the opposite reasons. "Hey, Decidueye was in Pokken, just ignore the rest of those Pokemon and pretend as though Decidueye is given" or "Impa was a bad girl in Hyrule Warriors, definitely coming to Smash THIS time, surely, c'mon Sakurai, make it happen!"

And, despite the argument being weak on its own, I do believe it helps.

splat

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh? Top 10? Let's go my man!
So Top 3 with why-

-Chrom: My favourite FE lord in the series, got trolled by Gematsu Leak and Sakurai himself- And Viridi in Palutena's Guidance... (When dark pit exist, smfh) His chance might be today! Hopefully- If Sakurai considered him for Smash4, hopefully he will do that again for Smash Switch, as Chrom got a lot of popularity thanks to :
TokyoMirage Session, being the Main MC's Mirage,
One of the most popular Unit in Fire Emblem Cipher, the card game
The "main" characters of Fire Emblem Warrior
Popular characters in FE Heroes.
Maybe Chrom could get in as an Marth/Ike hybrid- I wouldn't mind

Waluigi: My man- I still need to WAH WAAAH all days- I need my Event match Mario/Luigi vs Wario Waluigi

Ray: Custom Robo....Do I need to say anything else? I'm also a Mecha fan, and Custom Robo need some representation, he have unlimited moveplay possibilities-

Then, without any order-

Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
Micaiah
A second Sonic Rep, but especially DR.Eggman
Sora from KH (yes, that mean talking with Disney- nice joke- lemme dream)
Dixie Kong
Lana from Hyrules Warrior
Ghirahim
Bonus: Geno-

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I need your guy's input. I was wondering do you think Pokken tournament and Hyrule Warriors hurts several certain Pokemon and Zelda characters chances. As a reminder Sakurai is the guy who would not add a stage hazard because "Playstation all stars did that already" Personally I don't think he will add Decidueye because he wants to be different and original.
If he sees something in Decidueye then I don't think he'll let Pokkén influence him, but I actually do think it's an interesting question, because it would be typical Sakurai to just go for something more unexpected and unconvential. I'd still say Decidueye is by far the most likely Pokémon though when the best argument against him is Sakurai shenanigans.

I don't think Hyrule Warriors really matters in the same way, because there's not really a character that's isolated in the same way Decidueye is by being the Switch exclusive Pokémon, and pretty much every notable Zelda character under the sun, excluding BotW, is playable in Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom