• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
"I've been off Smashboards for a while. I wonder what posts were made while I was gone."

Give me Zelda with pants or Give me Death.
"..."

Zelda with pants is something I'd have to actually see in Smash before I could judge it. Her traveling outfit (or whatever its official name is) is the most iconic outfit she wears from BotW, but it's not something you'd expect a princess to wear. I'm used to seeing Zelda in a dress, so a transition from a fancy dress to a shirt and pants will take some time to get used to.

D

Deleted member

Look at this and tell me you don't want it
Oh my goodness, it reminds me of a Nintendo Switch! Gray being one Nintendo Switch color, Red and Blue being another Nintendo Switch controller. Creative!
I love this design, and I would be totally fine with this in Smash Bros. Switch.
Give me Zelda with pants or Give me Death.
I am on your side. Zelda would look much more fit in pants, considering herself in BOTW uses pants. :p
Also Zelda needs another buff, even though she was buffed in Smash 4.
#MakeZeldaViable

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I am on your side. Zelda would look much more fit in pants, considering herself in BOTW uses pants. :p
Also Zelda needs another buff, even though she was buffed in Smash 4.
#MakeZeldaViable
Don't buff the Zelda we have.

Redo her with her Breath of the Wild design as the NEW base.

Keep some of the moves, but really just replace most of her basic attacks. They look disjointed and silly, which is major reason why she is so dreadfully designed and so woefully underpowered in each Smash entry.

Her new "look" should translate to a "new" style. It would be for the better for Zelda players, and it would grow the amount of people who actually (and actively) play Zelda in this Smash Bros entry (compared to previous ones) immensely.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Keep some of the moves, but really just replace most of her basic attacks. They look disjointed and silly, which is major reason why she is so dreadfully designed and so woefully underpowered in each Smash entry.
She's just so unbearably slow and has such huge sourspots + lag on like, all of her moves. I know her Smashes are really strong but my god, give her something else.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
you guys think transformation characters could come back now that they dont gotta worry about 3ds?maybe something like pokemon trainer?
If we get transformation characters back, I hope the Wandering Heroes are a new transformation character.

Their Down Special would be Next Hero. This is where your Wandering Hero goes to the back of the line and the next Wandering Hero comes to the front and becomes your current Wandering Hero.

What’s the point of this move? It’s to change the shirt colors so you get new Neutral Special (Color Magic) and Side Special (Mii Force).

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
If we get transformation characters back, I hope the Wandering Heroes are a new transformation character.

Their Down Special would be Next Hero. This is where your Wandering Hero goes to the back of the line and the next Wandering Hero comes to the front and becomes your current Wandering Hero.

What’s the point of this move? It’s to change the shirt colors so you get new Neutral Special (Color Magic) and Side Special (Mii Force).
I never thought I'd ever actively want the Wandering Heroes in Smash. Until now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't buff the Zelda we have.

Redo her with her Breath of the Wild design as the NEW base.

Her new "look" should translate to a "new" style. It would be for the better for Zelda players, and it would grow the amount of people who actually (and actively) play Zelda in this Smash Bros entry (compared to previous ones) immensely.
Personally, I think giving her the BOTW design and replacing Din’s Fire, Farore’s Wind, and Nayru’s Love with the Champion abilities would make her an excellent character. Increasing her speed would help as well.

Urbosa’s Fury could be a side combo like Marth, without the sword. Daruk’s protection could be a sort of counter/deflect. Revali’s Gale is obviously her recovery, but I’m not sure what to do with Mipha’s Grace. I think this would be a great improvement for Zelda I’m not just a gameplay level, but to really update her design as a character.

Normally I wouldn’t expect a massive change to a character, but Zelda in previous games just...isn’t good. Bowser got changed for Wii U and is more more able than his previous versions. I think we’re going to see it happen with Zelda.

Sure, her smashes now are strong. But that doesn’t matter if it’s difficult to land them in the first place. The moveset has to work around that.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Top 10?

1 - King K. Rool
2 - Beast Ganon
3 - Sylux
4 - Ridley
5 - Waluigi
6 - Kamek
7 - Mimikyu
8 - Crash Bandicoot
9 - Bandana Dee
10 - Dixie Kong

Pakky

Smash Hero
You know after playing the Kirby DLC last night it got me thinking.

The the quality of these characters and their abilities would anyone be mad if Kirby had like 6-8 reps?

The 4th is going to be Bandanna Dee no question, it just makes sense, baring how he's become Luigi in a way.

Like Marx, Dark matter, or Adeleine would be amazing for both Star Allies and Smash.

Now for my Top 10

1. King K Rool

2. Ridely

3. Bandanna Dee

4. Spring man

5. Crash

6. Marx

8. Dig Dug

9. Rayman

10. Shantae

-------

Greedy Pakky likes girls

11. Dixie Kong

12. Captain Syrup

13. Dr. Cyole

14. Ivy (Soul Calibur)

15. Chun li

----

Honorable mentions

Paper Mario

Medusa

Hades

Cranky Kong

Funky Kong

Steve

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
One of my friend gave me this idea :
Has anyone here brought yet the idea of Hyrule King as the new Zelda rep ?

I mean he is iconic in the overall serie and fit well next to link zelda sheik ganon ect ! More than a champion IMO
He is not a one game only character after all

I'm sure it could be a WTF character and Sakurai could easily make a moveset for him (even WW moves maybe or the champions for special attacks)

That'd be hilarous

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Since nothing is really happening here right now, I made a list of my 10 most wanted newcomers for the game. It was actually harder than I expected it to be. I'd like to see other's Top 10's if you feel like making a list. Personal bias is very welcome in this top 10.
View attachment 139907
1: Shantae (#1 was originally Inklings, but since they got confirmed I bumped Shantae up a spot.)
2: Paper Mario
3: Rayman
4: Ridley
5: Dark Samus
6: Bandana Waddle Dee
7: Medusa
8: King K. Rool
9: Balloon Fighter
10: Isaac

Honorable mentions are Spring Man, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bomberman and Galacta Knight.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm very cautious when it comes to revamping Zelda's moveset completely. Urbosa's Fury and Daruk's Protection fit over Din's Fire and Nayru's Love easily, but simply changing Farore's Wind to Revali's Gale means she loses her long range teleport, and that thing has saved my ass more times than I can count, then there's Mipha's Grace which doesn't really fit anywhere. I also don't like the idea of Zelda losing her connection to the 3 goddesses, cause as it was mentioned in the Zelda veteran thread BotW Zelda still retains a close connection to them since she prays at their shrines.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Except that he didn't make it. Until Geno actually gets in, in no ways should this be used as an argument that Shovel Knight and Shantae are shoe-ins because of a bunch of fans screamed for them on the Ballot.
Never meant to imply that at all. All I'm saying is that there is no evidence that "star-power" is a must-have criteria as Sakurai never stated that for third-parties ever, that was just something we assumed.

Geno being considered and wanted =/= the likes of Shovel Knight are shoo-in.

Geno being considered and wanted = the fan assumption that star-power is important for third-party characters is false and if the likes of Shovel Knight doesn't make it in, it would have nothing to do with their lack of "star-power". That was my entire point and you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Besides, I hardly think Shovel Knight is a shoo-in. Not even close.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Personally every character who was a Mii costume + Ridley who had the function of a normal character are very likely for the upcoming Smash.

-King K Rool

- Ridley

- Geno

- Protoman

- Viridi

- Zero

- Lloyd

-Takamaru

-Gil

-Tails

-Knuckles

- Monster Hunter

-Heihachi

- Akira

- Jacky

- Isabelle

- Chrom

- Black Knight

All seem possible to me. Though other versions of Megaman or Duban seem like a stretch because Megaman is already here and Xenoblade has another game out.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm very cautious when it comes to revamping Zelda's moveset completely. Urbosa's Fury and Daruk's Protection fit over Din's Fire and Nayru's Love easily, but simply changing Farore's Wind to Revali's Gale means she loses her long range teleport, and that thing has saved my *** more times than I can count, then there's Mipha's Grace which doesn't really fit anywhere. I also don't like the idea of Zelda losing her connection to the 3 goddesses, cause as it was mentioned in the Zelda veteran thread BotW Zelda still retains a close connection to them since she prays at their shrines.
My worthless idea for this: Maybe change Zelda so she's like in BoTW, but introduce Toon Zelda to keep the original moveset?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
We doing top 10s? Very well
  1. Rabbid Mario
  2. Agnes
  3. Kamek
  4. Paper Mario
  5. Toad
  6. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  7. King K. Rool
  8. Daisy
  9. Waluigi
  10. Spring Man

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
1. Ridley
2. Bomberman
3. Ray 01
4. Mimikyu
5. Wolf
6. Beast Ganon
7. Chorus Kids
8. K. Rool
9. Crash
10. Toad

That's my top 10 of characters that I think have at least some small chance of getting in. A top 10 of just wanted characters would have some crazy stuff like Chaos from Sonic, and Bass haha.

I've also probably forgotten someone important as that's off the top of my head.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Top 10 WANTS

1. Phoenix Wright
2. Professor Layton
3. Isabelle
4. Dixie Kong
5. Dusk Lycanroc
6. Amaterasu
7. Decidueye
8. Lyn
9. Dark Matter (Blade)
10. Banjo

My top tens are weird, I think.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
So when do you guys think this is launching? I will honestly be surprised if we don't have this in our hands by September. That's when the online service is launching, and I honestly see the holiday game spot being given to pokemon. That coupled with the fact that smash is almost never the holiday game, and that the game must be pretty far along for the invitational to be able to happen in June, makes for a pretty strong case IMO.

I also see there being an extremely good chance of us getting a stress test demo just like arms, splatoon, and Mario tennis got before launch. What do you guys think?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I might consider getting cut-happy if that was the only way to get more newcomers. Depends how many we're getting to begin with. But there's plenty of other content I would cut first, like custom moves, Stage Builder, or a robust single player. (Except trophies. Bring on 1,000+ trophies to collect, and make it time consuming PLEASE)
I know this response is a million years old... but you would cut the content that adds replay value to the game, new modes primarily, but would keep trophies, which literally do nothing for the value of play? Do go on. This seems a curious stance to take.

Troykv

Smash Master
Since nothing is really happening here right now, I made a list of my 10 most wanted newcomers for the game. It was actually harder than I expected it to be. I'd like to see other's Top 10's if you feel like making a list. Personal bias is very welcome in this top 10.
View attachment 139907
Outside the Top 3, the character aren't in any particular order.

1. Micaiah (Fire Emblem)
2.- Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
3.- Adeleine (Kirby)

Marx (Kirby)
Crash.Bandicoot
KOS-MOS (Xeno)
Waluigi (Mario)
Ganon (Zelda)
King K. Rool (DK)

And many other that are minor likes.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So when do you guys think this is launching? I will honestly be surprised if we don't have this in our hands by September. That's when the online service is launching, and I honestly see the holiday game spot being given to pokemon. That coupled with the fact that smash is almost never the holiday game, and that the game must be pretty far along for the invitational to be able to happen in June, makes for a pretty strong case IMO.

I also see there being an extremely good chance of us getting a stress test demo just like arms, splatoon, and Mario tennis got before launch. What do you guys think?
September seems reasonable to me. I wouldn't be made at a holiday release though.

I mean this drops less than a year after its announcement. Pretty hard to be mad at a release date anywhere in 2018

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Awhille back I made a Marx Moveset and I figured I'd post it here. I really don't think he's getting in (He's the second most likely Kirby rep IMO, but Bandanna Dee is happening way before him), just I used support him to a ridiculus degree, and now that he has an actual shot I figure I may as well get on his support train before the inevitable disappointment.

Please ignore the percents. They were only there cause I felt like I had to, and I'm worried that some attacks may be too Over/Underpowered for what I was going for.
Darnit, beat to the punch on the moveset front. Anyways, here's mine. I'm open to making changes, as some attacks were just made because I couldn't think of anything else (Up-Smash in particular).

Marx Rolls In!

Marx is a character from the Kirby series, most notable as Final Boss in Kirby Super Star. Between this and his recent return in Kirby: Star Allies, there’s more than enough to make a Smash moveset.

Stats

In SSB, Marx (mostly) is in his Star Allies form, with his Wings and Ball coming when needed. When it comes to stats, he’s relatively slow, being slower than Olimar. Contrary to this, he’s actually quite good in the air, having the air speed of Roy and the fall speed of Villager. He’s a Light Mid-Weight, being slightly heavier then Peach.

When dashing, he uses his ball. While dashing, he has something similar to Bowser’s Tough Guy ability, where weaker attacks don’t make him flinch, but just go into a walk. The ball bounces around and does some weak damage before popping about 4 seconds later.

Basic Moves

Jab Combo: Marx’s Jab Combo is a kick from each of his legs, followed by the final attack being him using his wing. The kicks do 3% each, with the wing dealing 6%.

Dash Attack: he trips, which causes him to fall, dealing 7% damage. Since he falls off the ball in this attack, it functions how it does if he gets attacked mid-dash.

Up-Tilt: He uses one of his wings to do an attack upwards, similar to Villager’s up-tilt. Comparatively, it has more range, but does less damage (4%).

Down-Tilt: He splits in half, similar to Mirror Kirby. The attack does 6% damage

Side Tilt: He kicks his ball in front of him. The kick does 5%. The ball keeps going forward until it falls off the stage or hits an opponent, in which case it pops and deals 6%. If there’s a player right in front of Marx when this attack happens, the ball cannot damage them (right away).

Aerials

Neutral-Air: He does a much weaker version of the Black Hole attack. It does residual damage that adds up to 8%, plus a slight gravitational pull.

Up-Air: He sends up some prickly thorns that deal 6% damage straight up. The attack has decent range and can even tether grab!

Front/Back-Air: He does an attack very similar to the down-tilt, but with less range and more damage (8%). If he touches a ledge, he can grab instantly.

Down Tilt: He sends an Ice Orb downwards, freezing and dealing 11% damage to anyone it hits.

Smash Attacks

Up-Smash: He makes a ball of Pshchic Energy appear above him, similar to PSI Kirby. It can deal up to 13%.

Forward-Smash: He makes a barrage of arrows appear. It’s a multi-hit attack that deals up to 16%.

Down Smash: He make two Plant Towers appear on both sides of him. It does 14%.

Special Attacks

Neutral-B: Beam Charge. Marx charges up an incredibly powerful long ranged attack, but it takes 5 seconds to get it ready. The next time Neutral-B is used once charged, he releases the beam, dealing up to 23%.

Side-B: Black Hole: Marx makes a black hole in front of him. It’s more powerful than the Neutral Air, but it does no damage. It could lead into combos.

Up-B: Teleport. Unlike other character’s teleport attacks, Marx has full control during the attack, similar Greninja’s Side-B. To counter this, however, there’s no hitboxes and the range he can go in any direction is a little less. He leaves no shadow, so it could be good for mix-ups

Down-B: Dig. Marx buries himself underground. During this point, he can go around underground, and when he comes out the attack does 16% damage. If used in the air, he falls quickly and spins, dealing light damage on the way down.

Final Smash: Marx Soul. During the final smash, Marx can fly around as Marx Soul, Similar to Super Sonic and Mega Charizard X. To attack, he sends out four cutters downwards, like in Kirby Super Star. He can be damaged, but he has no knockback.

Miscellaneous

Up-Taunt: He bounces on his ball, but he falls off (See KSSU outtakes)

Side-Taunt: Laughs and floats using his wings.

Down-Taunt: Pretends to do his Up Special, but reemerges in the same place 1 second later. Exact same animation, good for mix-ups.

Grab: Hops on the opponent like he does in KSA. The pummel is a particularly hard stomp. The throws are throws, not too fancy. (Sorry for this being so brief, I just really couldn't think of unique throws.)

Ledge Attack: Uses one wing to attack in-front of him, while the other one stays there until safely on the ground.

For holding items, he uses one of his wings. For midair jumps, he temporarily uses his wings and hexagons shoot out of them, propelling him upwards. He has two midair jump. One jump is a little less useful then the midair jump of a regular character, but are miles ahead of one from the other characters with multiple jumps.

Alts

1: His regular appearance from Super Star and Star Allies

2: Magalor Colors. Marx Soul has his colors from the boss Fight.

3. Sectonia Colors. Marx Soul has Soul of Sectonia’s colors

4. Dark Matter Colors. Soul has 02 colors.

5. Daroach colors. Marx Soul is Dark Daroach colors.

6. Nightmare Colors

7. Haltmann Colors

8. Marx Soul Colors. FS has normal form colors. Side taunt has the lovely sound he makes when defeated in the True Arena.

I know it's not that good, but I'm open to more changes (I have already, as I changed the Grab, Down Taunt, and elaborated on the Jumping)

D

Deleted member

View attachment 139907
Let's see how far I can get:

1. Bomberman - I would get Smash on launch
2. King K. Rool
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Lolo/Lololo (Eggerland/Kirby) - I don't care since they practically look the same anyway, a trap-base Kirbyesque character would be neat to play as
5. Mimikyu
6. Geno
7. Tom Nook
8. Bandana Dee
9. Marx

I can't think of anything else.

Never meant to imply that at all. All I'm saying is that there is no evidence that "star-power" is a must-have criteria as Sakurai never stated that for third-parties ever, that was just something we assumed.

Geno being considered and wanted =/= the likes of Shovel Knight are shoo-in.

Geno being considered and wanted = the fan assumption that star-power is important for third-party characters is false and if the likes of Shovel Knight doesn't make it in, it would have nothing to do with their lack of "star-power". That was my entire point and you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Besides, I hardly think Shovel Knight is a shoo-in. Not even close.
Sakurai considering Mega Man a special case implies that he does consider iconicness a factor. Just because Geno may have been considered or even someone Sakurai wanted doesn't mean that iconicness as a factor should be thrown out the window. At the end of the day, he didn't get in and what we got did. Bayonetta doesn't count seeing as she was the Ballot winner among realizable characters.

I was also not saying you thought that Shovel Knight and Shantae are shoe-ins but that a lot of the fan base jump to the assumption that if they scream hard enough, they'll get in. It doesn't consider that not only do they have to be popular, they have to stand out among first and third-party characters in how wanted they are. Sonic, Mega Man, and Bayonetta stood out in their demand, Shovel Knight, and arguably Geno does not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cin726

Smash Cadet
I'll roll with my top five wants.

1. Wolf (He needs to come back.)
2. King K. Rool (Gives us another heavy-class character, provides some diversity to the DK roster, and adds another villain to the overall roster.)
3. Ridley or Sylux (I'll take one or the other at this point. My heart says Ridley but my head says Sylux.)
4. Impa (Really the only LoZ character I have a genuine interest in seeing added.)
5. Samurai Goroh (Captain Falcon's one of the original 12 characters, yet four games into the SSB franchise he is still the lone rep for F-Zero. This should be rectified.)

Obviously the list is a bit villain-heavy, but as far as I'm concerned SSB could use more antagonists on the roster.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
See, "scraping the bottom of the barrel" as a term implies that only inferior stuff is left, which I don't think is true.
I remember Smosh Games "Honest Trailer Smash Bros" video describes Smash 4 roster just like that.. Lol

That was also the first Honest Trailer video I saw... At that time.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I remember Smosh Games "Honest Trailer Smash Bros" video describes Smash 4 roster just like that.. Lol

That was also the first Honest Trailer video I saw... At that time.
"Select your character from an ever-expanding roster that began as a Nintendo Hall of Fame, then grew to include third-party stars, and now showcases the absolute bottom of the barrel. Raise your hand if you knew who Shulk was before Smash. Congratulations, you're now Japanese!"

Chron

Smash Journeyman
The new Smash 2018 Invitational video didn't show any footage of Smash Switch. Why would they STILL be keeping it a secret if it's just a port. It's looking like we're getting a new game, and I'm hoping more than ever for those new mechanics.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Top Ten?

1 - Ridley
2 - Marx (or other Kirby newcomer)
3 - King K. Rool
4 - Dark Samus (or Sylux)
5 - Waluigi
6 - Giygas
7 - New Pokemon (something cool)
8 - Isabelle (or Tom Nook)
9 - King Boo
10 - Toad

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
WARNING!! WATCHMOJO DID THIS AGAIN:

What do you think about Tails, Shovel Knight and Crash being included in Smash Bros for Switch?

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Let's see how far I can get:

1. Bomberman (the only third-party I want) - I would get Smash on launch
2. King K. Rool
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Lolo/Lololo (Eggerland/Kirby) - I don't care since they practically look the same anyway, a trap-base Kirbyesque character would be neat to play as
5. Mimikyu
6. Bandana Dee
7. Tom Nook
8. Marx
Banjo and Kazooie are also 3rd party though

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
WARNING!! WATCHMOJO DID THIS AGAIN:

What do you think about Tails, Shovel Knight and Crash being included in Smash Bros for Switch?
WatchMojo makes a list for everything under the sun (usually pointless) but at least they are better than "The Gamer"s top 10 channel. Its sad that the guy in WatchMojo sounds like he actually knows what hes talking about when it comes to gaming, yet a top 10 channel called The Gamer does not and barely researches anything in his videos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom