• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Bets on the number of new Fire Emblem characters that get added?
73//shot

Realistically I expect only one or maybe two total getting added, considering the backlash the series got for "overrepresentation" last game. In fact, I'd expect a cut as well (sorry Lucina)

Last edited:

Ade117

Smash Rookie
The hype is real.

Realistic character predictions: Decidueye, Rex, new FE character from the Switch game.

Hopes: King K. Rool, Isaac, Crash Bandicoot (maybe not as far fetched anymore).

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Bets on the number of new Fire Emblem characters that get added?
I see Lucina and Roy getting the chop. Which makes me sad because I like Roy.

Marth is the poster child of the franchise.

Ike is a heavy sword user, and has been in two iterations so far.

Robin uses magic.

Corrin turns into a dragon.

We’ll get 1 new character from FE Switch, and then Roy or Lucina as DLC as a hard maybe. So 5-6 total reps, but they won’t all be back. Clones to the back, uniqueness to the front.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
OK here's my personal takes on the likelihood of cut vets from previous games returning in Smash 5:

:pichumelee: Maybe? She has possibility if the devs seek to add clones, though she's got some competition in that department.
:linkmelee: Toon Link was pretty much Young Link done better, and he appears to be a lot more popular and well-received. Only way I can see him make a comeback is if either he or Toon Link get a decloned moveset, though even then the idea of three Links on the roster probably wouldn't fly well. I don't see him ever coming back.
:popo: If the Ice Climbers aren't coming back in this game I'll eat my shoes.
:snake: Probably isn't coming back ever, considering the state Konami is in.
:wolf: I think he's the most likely rep behind Ice Climbers, though even then I'm not that confident in his return. His specials were included in Smash 4 as Fox's custom moves so they at least acknowledge him.
:squirtle::ivysaur: I don't think there's much hope for either of them, Charizard is more popular and he reps the Gen I starters well enough on his own.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally hoping we get to see Girahim in this one.His potential moveset is too awesome to miss out on. Unfortunately, Skyward Sword is kind of old news, so there's a good chance he won't make it in.

Troykv

Smash Master
Whoever FE16's protagonist is.

If not, I wouldn't be surprised if either FEW or FEH's new main characters.

Still holding out for Hector, or just a FE character that doesn't have a damn sword really.
Micaiah doesn't use sword, in fact, she looks a bit different from the typical FE attire.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I don't really see any Fire Emblem character getting cut, Marth is definitely safe, Ike has the whole being the most popular Fire Emblem character, being a 2 time veteran, and a unique moveset, Robin and Corrin both are incredibly unique and come from incredibly well selling games, and Lucina and Roy are the 3rd and 4th most popular characters, as well as Lucina having been promoted to the point where she has become a face of Fire Emblem.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Newcomers I know we’ll see: / = (Couldn’t decide between the two.)
Inklings
Spring Man (Ribbon Girl alts or semi clone)
Rex & Pyra
Decidueye/Mimikyu

Newcomers I hope we see:
Paper Mario (The only logical choice for new Mario rep in my opinion. Sorry Daisy, Waluigi, and Captain Toad supporters.)
Hades
Isabelle
Takamaru (he’s almost been added to every game since Melee. It’s time.)
Dixie Kong/Cranky Kong
Hero (From Dragon Quest)
Labo-Bot

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Small detail but I like how on the main website, if you click to watch the teaser, a black smash symbol comes out to show the video. Kind of a new thing.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Hang on can anyone make out the melody that's playing in the Trailer? Like as it zooms out towards the Inklings with the giant logo? Sounds awfully familiar but I can't exactly make it out.
Sounds like a slowed down choir version of a song. Try listening to it sped up, cause it sounds even more familiar when I did that but I can't place it either. Maybe it's the notes of the new main theme.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I just feel there's a good chance Ryu gets axed
As opposed to saying x pool of chars (like Captain Toad of all chars) as possible newcomers
Two things that are likely not happening.
1. Ryu getting cut.
2. Captain Toad getting in.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But that's the way I see it.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Two things that are likely not happening.
1. Ryu getting cut.
2. Captain Toad getting in.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But that's the way I see it.
Street Fighter is Sakurai’s favorite fighting game. If they let him use Ryu once, they may let him do it again if he ask for him. I hope he does Ryu was a great addition. Definitely a gaming icon.

Also, Smash is incredibly popular. I think it was a mutual “Thank you for your consideration.” On both developer’s part.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm thinking it's an updated port but treated like a sequel. And I'm thinking 68 total characters, with 8 brand new characters and 2 returning veterans.

58 = Current Roster, Meaning we'd have 8-10 more slots.

1. Inkling [Confirmed]
2. Spring Man
3. Decidueye
4. Takamaru
5. King K. Rool
6. Rex & Pyra
7. Dillon
8. Rayman
9. Ice Climbers
10. Wolf

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm more excited for Bandana Dee than ever before, or maybe I'm just plain excited

Bandana Waddle Dee
“I’m not just a pretty face!”

That bandana! That spear! With his courage, he sets himself apart from carefree parasol holders, and he deserves a prize for his stellar attendance in the Kirby series.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So Nintendo at least sees it as a new game.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
How many more additions do you think we will get this game? We already know the Inklings are in and there's going to be more than just them. Assuming this is an enhanced port or an expansion like Splatoon 2, I'm guessing five more. These are what I am thinking:

- Ice Climber
- Wolf
- Spring Man
- Mimikyu/Incineroar/Lycanroc
- BombermanThere's the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi games (especially 3) but then again, balancing 160+ characters isn't feasible. But this game will probably do that.

I don't consider the Budokai series to be fighting games. DBZ FighterZ fits the bill for me. I have also herd that a lot of characters play the same, too many Gokus, and a unique character called Frieza Minion or something. Probably Lackey.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The person to the right of Samus is clearly Sakurai himself with that squiggly stuff next to him being his arm in it's current state.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I must say that I'm quite pleased that the speculation period will be shorter this time around, ~2 months before Smash 4 was released I was just completely burned out on discussing the game after having been at it for well over a year. If we assume that the Dojo (if there's going to be one) will open around E3, and the game keeps its promise of being out before the end of the year, then it'll be much much better, and hopefully with far less pointless updates too.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I haven't seen anyone discuss Dillon. He had a new game revealed today. I give him a 50/50 shot.
Now that you mentioned it, I'm all for it. It does help his chances unless Sakurai already decided to add him in advance

I must say that I'm quite pleased that the speculation period will be shorter this time around, ~2 months before Smash 4 was released I was just completely burned out on discussing the game after having been at it for well over a year. If we assume that the Dojo (if there's going to be one) will open around E3, and the game keeps its promise of being out before the end of the year, then it'll be much much better, and hopefully with far less pointless updates too.
Remember the times when we had to look at the site daily and constantly refresh the page? Good times

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I do believe Dillon has a shot, but what bothers me is that I rarely see his supporters saying anything. Are they just too timid or absent or i'm just mistaken?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I do highly expect Ice Climbers & Wolf to return.

Newcomers wise in addition to the Inklings, I predict that Rex and Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2), ARMS rep, a new Pokemon are likely choices and perhaps Takamaru and Dillon as well.

3rd party characters will always remain as something that I'm interested to see.

New stages that I would like to see are New Donk City (Super Mario Odyessy) and the Ultra Wormhole (Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm still convinced it's gonna be a port of 4, considering it comes out this year, and is using the same fire logo as 4.

I could be wrong I guess, but for the time being, I see nothing to convince me otherwise.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm leaning towards a heavily enhanced port of Smash Wii U, with some characters overhauled, new game modes, gameplay adjustments and the like, but also expect a lot of recycled content from Smash Wii U, including characters with no changes whatsoever.

The game is also very likely running on the same engine and sharing a lot of the same development staff. Even the trailer played out a lot like the Smash 3DS/Wii U trailers. Aside from the new logo, BotW Link and the addition of Inklings, it feels like this game doesn't have as much of its own identity relative to Smash 3DS/Wii U as the previous games had relative to their respective predecessors.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Switch requires the Joycons attached if it's in portable mode. With that in mind, I can see this next Smash title to have a higher focus on single player than the Wii U one. Even if it's just Smash Run coming back. Could possibly see Adventure mode come back too

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm all for Dillon, the games are awesome but sadly not really popular. I'm glad they're going all in with the 3rd one though. At this rate his role as an Assist Trophy should remain, at least.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Dillon would be an okay choice, but there's plenty I'd rather see make it in before him. Would be fine with him remaining an Assist Trophy, would be a shame if he got cut from that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We should not underestimate the ballot's possible influence in this game, but since Sakurai is directing, we also should expect the unexpected.

Having 3 games, Dillon isn't completely unlikely. He may have a chance at making in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom