• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This I feel is greatly exaggerated by the Smash fanbase.

Simple things have simple answers. Like with Villager... Sakurai is a lot more consistent than people give him credit for. It’s more that people like to make up rules and pretend he follows them. Like how there’s people who were upset at Cloud’s inclusion because he’s not a Nintendo character, yet mourn Snake’s exclusion.
He definitely goes out of his way to include "WTF?!" characters in every game, characters the playerbase often never even considered as being options for playable.

But you hit on exactly what I'm saying: we make up rules and pretend he follows them, even when his own "rules" can change literally the moment he wants them to.

I believe Cloud had a cameo appearance in the Kingdom Hearts game on the GBA, just BARELY making him passable for the "rule" that the character had to appear on a Nintendo console. Short of that, however, Cloud is the antithesis of a Nintendo character for reasons I mentioned before (not that I have any issue with him personally, just stating the facts as they are).

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Which still disqualifies Goku. Besides having manga characters kinda defeats the point of Smash being a celebration of Nintendo's past
It's okay Ian, search your feelings, you know it to be true....

Like I mentioned in the NintenZone social, if Link AND Zelda get their BOTW designs in this game, I'd like to think that Ganondorf's design will probably be a unique design to Smash Switch in the same vein as Sheik in Brawl, where her design was based on 'what if she appeared in Twilight Princess'.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if the next bit of news will be exclusively at E3? Or if there will be a slow burn of basically already confirmed characters up until that point?
Mods, I am sorry for unleashing this havoc on the thread
It's not ok. ;)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So folks... how would you feel if Smash Bros turned into a game as service model?

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so who wants to guess which characters might make it in and how many total characters will we have? i'd like to think 70 at max.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I wonder if the next bit of news will be exclusively at E3? Or if there will be a slow burn of basically already confirmed characters up until that point?
We've yet to see actual gameplay so I'm guessing nothing until E3.

Just having a trailer with footage one day appear on the website isn't their style for SSB marketing at all.

So folks... how would you feel if Smash Bros turned into a game as service model?
I kind of expected that one day this would be the case, but now it feels more like Nintendo is going to maintain the pattern of "one SSB game per console", meaning I don't think we'll ever see it as a service.

Asking people to go back and buy DLC for a game on the Switch after Switch 2 has been released, for example, would feel unusual on their part.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
so who wants to guess which characters might make it in and how many total characters will we have? i'd like to think 70 at max.
I think Krystal will finally make it in, look I know relevance is a big thing with Sakurai, BUT, she was a popular ballot request and does have moveset potential. The Ballot will have a heavy impact on Smash 5 newcomers and returning characters that have missed a game

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Krystal will finally make it in, look I know relevance is a big thing with Sakurai, BUT, she was a popular ballot request and does have moveset potential. The Ballot will have a heavy impact on Smash 5 newcomers and returning characters that have missed a game
Why would she get in over higher-placing characters who also have moveset potential?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hang on can anyone make out the melody that's playing in the Trailer? Like as it zooms out towards the Inklings with the giant logo? Sounds awfully familiar but I can't exactly make it out.
We've yet to see actual gameplay so I'm guessing nothing until E3.

Just having a trailer with footage one day appear on the website isn't their style for SSB marketing at all.
I meant in terms of another sneak peak in a direct before then. But, thinking about it, E3 is barely 3 months away, it seems very unlikely that we'll get anything until then...

Holy ****, E3 is only like 3 months away...

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Here's a big hot take.

I don't want Smash 4 Deluxe.

I don't want Smash 5.

I want to see a best of both worlds.

I want a Smash 4.5. Maybe even instead a Smash 4.8. An "episode two," as some could call it. Everything that made Smash for 3DS and Wii U great, plus new content by the truckloads. New characters. New stages. New game modes. Enough new content to probably fill its own game.

If Smash for 3DS and Wii U was Sonic 3, this should be its Sonic 3 & Knuckles; one expansive game so humongous that it could be split into two.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, what are the chances of a proper ganondorf this game? You think there's any chance at all?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You mean like how Street Fighter V is handled? If so, I don’t think I would like that. I want all characters in the game from day one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like whom, may I ask?
That shouldn't matter. I think it's a safe assumption to make that Krystal was not at the very top of the charts, so, at least as far as Nintendo characters go, why should more popular ones, that more people voted for, with viable moveset potential, be passed over for her? What's the logic?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Other reasons why I think Krystal will make it in this time: Krystal would be a radical departure from Fox, Falco, and Wolf, who have similar movesets. Krystal could use her staff from Star Fox: Adventures (magic spells, but mostly melee combat), maybe some of the weapons from Star Fox: Assault, as well as her psychic abilities. Plus Sakurai heavily considered her for Brawl. I'd say she'd play as a melee staff combo based character, whose combos can do some serious damage, but has below average damage resistance, and mediocre long range attacks. Essentially rewarding those who like to get up close and personal

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, Wolf in the new game, happening or not?

Unfortunately, I'm prepping for the worst yet again,
Wait and see. If Nintendo keeps up their quality of games so far then I think this might be the most feature complete Smash game yet. I mean, think about a Smash game with the development cycle, and love and care that Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild got. You never know.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You mean like how Street Fighter V is handled? If so, I don’t think I would like that. I want all characters in the game from day one.
Were you opposed to DLC for a similar reason?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
65, maybe
That’s quite a small number. Given that there are normally between 5-6 cuts, and there are current 58 characters, that only makes for 12 newcomers.

May I ask why?

P.S. I am just going off perceived patterns. Cuts: Normally 5 or 6. Newcomers: 12,17,22 (DLC included)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Were you opposed to DLC for a similar reason?
That’s not the same thing.

The DLC for Smash 4 were optional. There were only 7 DLC characters in Smash 4.

Street Fighter V felt like half of the whole roster were DLC.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm going to be honest, I don't think any of the newcomers from Smash Wii U/3DS will be cut with maybe the exception of the clones.

I think we'll be looking more towards Brawl for potential cut characters this time...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That was a lot of pages

The hype is back

I not reading all that

Bandana Dee needs a prize for his many appearances according to his bio on the website

HYPE

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm going to be honest, I don't think any of the newcomers from Smash Wii U/3DS will be cut with maybe the exception of the clones.

I think we'll be looking more towards Brawl for potential cut characters this time...
I wouldn't mind seeing Miis cut. And it wouldn't surprise me if they were since they have taken a back seat on the Switch.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wouldn't mind seeing Miis cut. And it wouldn't surprise me if they were since they have taken a back seat on the Switch.
Oh. Yeah. I forgot about them. I could definitely see that happening. I don't think I even touched them once the whole time I had 3DS and Wii U...

I'll ask this again since it seems like people might've missed it the first time I posted. Anyone recognize the song from the trailer? Towards the end.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Odds seem pretty good that there are rumours about Smash for Switch being shown in every single month of the year - a stopped clock may be right twice a day, but I'd say just ignore rumours about that sort of thing or else you'll wind up disappointed if/when Nintendo doesn't announce it.
Hey, sometimes rumors turn out to be true.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I definitely wasn't expecting this in 2018 at all, especially not today of all days, I was thinking 2019 at earliest.

Went into the direct expecting nothing, ended up getting literally everything.

Also, hi everyone who may remember me! And hi to those who have no idea how I am!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I sure hope Miis come back.

Just done better this time.

Mii movesets are really fun.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I noticed that too. Miis aren’t as present anymore. Heck, Miitomo got shutdown, and I don’t know how well Miitopia did, but I also never hear about it.

I don’t know if they’ll get cut because they play that consolation prize role. Like “I’m sorry (insert character here) didn’t make it on to the roster, but here’s a costume so your Mii can look like them.”

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Miis will probably be back in some form, but especially if Nintendo made a lot off the costumes.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Bets on the number of new Fire Emblem characters that get added?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I honestly think that the Miis will come back. They might not be as prominent, but they're still relevant. I just hope that they don't take as long to work on this time!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I really hope this is Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch.

I want many newcomers and many new stages and many new items and many new Assist Trophies. I want many new stuff to justify calling it Smash 5 instead of Smash 4 Switch.
I'm very doubtful this is port of the Wii U version given how it was presented during the direct. Seems a bit of a dramatic trailer for a revamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom