• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So how long till we get actual information on the game you guys think?
Probably E3, or E3 will be the place where we get more information.
I'm more excited for Bandana Dee than ever before, or maybe I'm just plain excited

Bandana Waddle Dee
“I’m not just a pretty face!”

That bandana! That spear! With his courage, he sets himself apart from carefree parasol holders, and he deserves a prize for his stellar attendance in the Kirby series.
I think Bandanna Dee is more likely than before. Considering he never got a Mii costume and his fans are getting more vocal, this is good news. Bandanna Dee should be a lightweight yet mobile type of fighter who should have great range with his spear. Bandanna Dee is one of my most wanted fighters, so I would happily put him in the roster.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Seems like I missed a lot yesterday.

Well, it happened. Definitely didn't see that coming at all. I'm admittingly a little nervous to see how it'll be handled, but it does seem like they're treating it like a "Splatoon 2" sort of game.

Oh, and the Inklings weren't the best thing that got confirmed yesterday. Hopefully people will finally stop using the "all Zelda characters have to use the same design" argument. :p

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think Link will have two costumes this time around, both classic and Breath of the Wild costumes, with the latter as default. Same for Zelda. I expect Sheik and Ganondorf to retain their Twilight Princess looks since they haven't had any new designs since that game, not counting Hyrule Warriors given its spin-off status.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Seems like I missed a lot yesterday.

Well, it happened. Definitely didn't see that coming at all. I'm admittingly a little nervous to see how it'll be handled, but it does seem like they're treating it like a "Splatoon 2" sort of game.

Oh, and the Inklings weren't the best thing that got confirmed yesterday. Hopefully people will finally stop using the "all Zelda characters have to use the same design" argument. :p
I didn't think any of us really saw this coming and if anything we expected to the news around E3. An interesting question on my mind is that now that Link is using his BOTW appearance will Zelda also use her BOTW appearance?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I didn't think any of us really saw this coming and if anything we expected to the news around E3. An interesting question on my mind is that now that Link is using his BOTW appearance will Zelda also use her BOTW appearance?
Not sure if Link's new look is just an alt, but if he uses his BotW design, Zelda should too. Maybe Sheik and Ganondorf will get a special redesign so they can match the artstyle.

And on a related note, I think the odds of getting a Champion is very likely now.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I can see BotW outfits being the new defaults for Link and Zelda. As for Ganondorf and Sheik, I'm pretty sure there was Ganondorf BotW concept art somewhere, and it wouldn't be hard to create Sheik with BotW style either, just by using the Stealth outfit as a reference point. With Link in particular, he'd either be like Wario and Little Mac, with half his alternates being BotW and the other half being classic, or each of his alternates being actual outfits from BotW, like Hylian and Snoquill.

Last edited:

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
I think that I would rather see them made into new characters since at least for BOTW Link there is a lot of potential for a new moveset and he doesn't get all of the tools that the other Links do but he has a lot of unique ones that the other Links don't have.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They could do some tweaks with Breath of the Wild Link while keeping Toon Link as the more traditional Link option. They have been a bit more experimental with Link since Brawl really with the Gale Boomerang and jump slash and all after all.

I just hope that Link and Zelda will get at least both their Champions outfits and their traditional outfits as alts at least.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
They could do some tweaks with Breath of the Wild Link while keeping Toon Link as the more traditional Link option. They have been a bit more experimental with Link since Brawl really with the Gale Boomerang and jump slash and all after all.

I just hope that Link and Zelda will get at least both their Champions outfits and their traditional outfits as alts at least.
Ehh... I'd prefer Link's moveset stay untouched. All of the changes made to Link so far haven't really been major, so it seems like his moveset has become a staple for Smash. The idea of a third Link is hardly exciting to me, but if Sakurai really wants to add moves to Link's moveset from BotW, then he should just make a separate character.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ehh... I'd prefer Link's moveset stay untouched. All of the changes made to Link's moveset so far haven't really been major, so it seems like it's became a staple for Smash. The idea of a third Link is hardly exciting to me, but if Sakurai really wants to add moves to Link's moveset from BotW, then he should just make a separate character.
I mean, Link doesn't have a hookshot in Breath of the Wild so I think It's fairly likely he will get some tweaks at the very least (The magnesis rune for grabs for example)

I don't think they will do anything too drastic with him though.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'd be okay with visual changes to Link's moveset, and more interesting custom moves with stuff from BotW, but I'd prefer for his main moveset to remain the same functionally/mechanically.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some tweaks here and there for him.

GrownManJones

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 was a good game but not a classic. If they don't make this game more like Melee it will be a mistake.

Melee needs to die but it never will if they keep making inferior versions.

Last edited:

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
An idea I had for Link is voice and character models from 64 and Melee as well. Now you can be whatever Link you wanted to be.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Smash 4 was a good game but not a classic. If they don't make this game more like Melee it will be a mistake.

Melee needs to die but it never will if they keep making inferior versions.
Everyone has a different opinion. I'm sure a few people would prefer Smash 4 over a game where every character feels like they ate a pile of bricks for lunch.

GrownManJones

Smash Cadet
Everyone has a different opinion. I'm sure a few people would prefer Smash 4 over a game where every character feels like they ate a pile of bricks for lunch.
I don't doubt that for a second, I know there are plenty of people who prefer Smash 4. That doesn't make what I said false though.

Like I said, Melee is the reason we are at this moment right now. Melee needs to die but it won't until they give us a game worthy of replacing it.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
I don't doubt that for a second, I know there are plenty of people who prefer Smash 4. That doesn't make what I said false though.

Like I said, Melee is the reason we are at this moment right now. Melee needs to die but it won't until they give us a game worthy of replacing it.
Why does Melee need to die? I don't even care for it and I don't think it should die.

Staarih

Smash Master
If this is going to be a Splatoon -> Splatoon2 kind of thing, the mechanics/engine will likely be similar to Smash 4, if not the same.

And if the support is going to be anything like Splatoon2, then thank you. All the freebies and the massive Octo Expansion as first DLC does wonders for the game.

GrownManJones

Smash Cadet
Why does Melee need to die? I don't even care for it and I don't think it should die.
Because it's been the most popular Smash game since it released 15 years ago.

People will still bust out the CRT's in 2018 if Smash5 doesn't let us move/express ourselves like Melee.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Speaking of Splatoon 2 I have to wonder if this game will also have voice chat for public lobbies. A part of me really hopes that it does and another part of me hopes that it doesn't.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not sure if Link's new look is just an alt, but if he uses his BotW design, Zelda should too. Maybe Sheik and Ganondorf will get a special redesign so they can match the artstyle.

And on a related note, I think the odds of getting a Champion is very likely now.
I still think that the best that the four Champions can hope for is Assist Trophy roles. Otherwise, mere trophy cameos will have to do.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think a Champion is far more likely now as well. And am glad that BOTW Link isn't a separate character, but just regular old 'Link'. The Twilight Princess costumes irked me already in Smash 4, glad to see a update on them.

Now for the real update, what will be the changes in the Zelda roster? It's logical to assume Zelda will also get her BOTW look as a main costume. But will her moveset also change? I seriously hope so. And I wouldn't be 100% sure on Sheik, Ganondorf or Toon Link returning. For all we know, all 3 could be cast aside in favor of ALL 4 of the Champions? I could definitely see that happening, tho I myself prefer Ganondorf, Toon Link and yes, even Sheik staying. Hopes for Impa aren't as big anymore, but that was a given ever since her BOTW appearance anyway.... :urg:

For now, I just want Diddy Kong, Ike and Mewtwo to return. :4diddy::4myfriends::4mewtwo: Logically speaking, they should. But you never know...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still think that the best that the four Champions can hope for is Assist Trophy roles. Otherwise, mere trophy cameos will have to do.
But the timing is impeccable. Regardless of when Sakurai started picking the newcomers for this game, the Champions were highly relevant. Plus, the fact that Link is being promoted in his BotW design over his iconic green cap and tunic shows me that the latest Zelda game will have a big influence in Smash Switch. Will it be a big enough influence for a newcomer? Possibly, since BotW has sold phenomenally well, is regarded as one of the best titles in the series, and has garnered many awards for GotY.

I wouldn't rule the Champions out just yet. They have more going for them than you think.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what character ISN'T going to be in?

Ridley

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The weird thing about Smash Switch is that there's only two/three years of new content after the old one, which makes speculation a bit more than "lol what good games released in the last decade?"

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, from what I've seen, Mario's model is probably pretty much unchanged and just polished up from his Smash 4 model, which was a polished Brawl model... That, plus the huge firey Smash Logo and a 2018 release date make me think that this game is gonna draw a lot from Smash Wii U. There's no way they could've whipped up a complete new Smash game this quickly, which is what most have hoped for. I pretty much called this, and it was the most logical step.

Wonder when they are gonna open another Dojo-like website?

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
To be fair, it also started with Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer.

Then again, that was E3 2013.
That's true, although WFT wasn't shown until hours after the initial reveal, but Villager was shown before even Mario, Link and the other veterans.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Also, from what I've seen, Mario's model is probably pretty much unchanged and just polished up from his Smash 4 model, which was a polished Brawl model... That, plus the huge firey Smash Logo and a 2018 release date make me think that this game is gonna draw a lot from Smash Wii U. There's no way they could've whipped up a complete new Smash game this quickly, which is what most have hoped for. I pretty much called this, and it was the most logical step.

Wonder when they are gonna open another Dojo-like website?
I think Melee's and 4's development cycle was 2/3 years as well. Roster of Smash 4 was decided in February 2012 and released Fall 2014.
So it's not impossible for Sakurai to start development Fall 2016 and Smash Switch to release Holidays 2018 with quite a chunk of new content

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But the timing is impeccable. Regardless of when Sakurai started picking the newcomers for this game, the Champions were highly relevant. Plus, the fact that Link is being promoted in his BotW design over his iconic green cap and tunic shows me that the latest Zelda game will have a big influence in Smash Switch. Will it be a big enough influence for a newcomer? Possibly, since BotW has sold phenomenally well, is regarded as one of the best titles in the series, and has garnered many awards for GotY.

I wouldn't rule the Champions out just yet. They have more going for them than you think.
The main thing to keep in mind is that unlike past Legend of Zelda installments, you can actually do a playthrough of Breath of the Wild without taking back any of the four Divine Beasts. This does make the Calamity Ganon battle harder with the inclusion of the Blight Ganon gauntlet, but it's apparently doable if you have the right weapons and armor.

Anyway, I know that the four Champions have received amiibo models of themselves, but they'll probably meet the same fate as the other one-time only characters, such as Midna and Ghirahim.

It's not impossible for a playable role, but it's probably for the best to not put their expectations up so high, which is why I see them as being Assist Trophies at best.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Since the roster must've been decided quite early again, and there's no sign of Pokémon Gen 8 yet aside from being "in development", this bodes well for the likes of Lycanroc, Decidueye and Incineroar

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since the roster must've been decided quite early again, and there's no sign of Pokémon Gen 8 yet aside from being "in development", this bodes well for the likes of Lycanroc, Decidueye and Incineroar
Definitely. If a Gen 7 Pokemon gets added, it could be any of those three (or maybe even someone else). Hard to say which one will get picked.

Although, if Sakurai went purely off the current anime when he was choosing newcomers, I'd say Dusk Lycanroc is probably the most likely (which stinks because Cheetos Puff Lycanroc is my least favorite Lycanroc form).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
everytime i go over the arguments for it being a new game or a port i feel like im debating whether or not sylveon is a brand new type or not again

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unfortunately for Decidueye, it's not very big on the popularity list. Rowlet, on the other hand, is.

Pokemon is kind of in a tricky spot, in terms of potential newcomers. I will say that the idea of a playable Ultra Beast is there, as Buzzwole finally got an anime appearance.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
If the game is coming out this year then I'd imagine there isn't too much development left to be done on it. There's been no information on a Pokemon gen 8 or a Fire Emblem for the Switch outside of both of them eventually going to be a thing, right? I wonder if that takes out the chances entirely of getting a character from them pre-DLC. Pretty sure Greninja and Corrin were known to the public before they got put into Smash. Can't say if Roy was or not since his game is Japanese exclusive and that was back in 2001.

Also, what all has to be changed for any of you to go from calling Smash for Switch an enhanced port to outright calling it a new game? Sm4sh already used many voice clips, animations and physics that were made for Brawl. Getting into more detail on the physics bit, when Sm4sh first launched, it was still possible to DACUS (dash attack cancelled up smash) and Peach could still cancel the endlag of her turnip pull by sliding off an edge plus the air dodging is basically the same, they just added landing lag to it. There were new items, stages, characters, music and modes to justify calling Sm4sh a new Smash game but it very clearly took a decent amount from Brawl.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Worth remembering that Greninja was in the same spot with Smash 4, we didn't even know it existed when Smash 4 news were well and truly underway. If they want a Gen 8 Pokémon in the game they'll just do the same and have Sakurai come in and get an early peek at what Game Freak are planning, and then work out a moveset from there.

The difference here is of course that this Smash is coming out this year, while it looks somewhat unlikely that Gen 8 will, but we can't really know for sure.

Last edited:

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
Unfortunately for Decidueye, it's not very big on the popularity list. Rowlet, on the other hand, is.

Pokemon is kind of in a tricky spot, in terms of potential newcomers. I will say that the idea of a playable Ultra Beast is there, as Buzzwole finally got an anime appearance.
What popularity list? Most of the time when I see discussion on which pokemon should be added it's always either Decidueye or gen 8 mon. (not gonna lie though, Buzzwole would be awesome)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Worth remembering that Greninja was in the same spot with Smash 4, we didn't even know it existed when Smash 4 news were well and truly underway. If they want a Gen 8 Pokémon in the game they'll just do the same and have Sakurai come in and get an early peek at what Game Freak are planning, and then work out a moveset from there.

The difference here is of course that this Smash is coming out this year, while it looks somewhat unlikely that Gen 8 will, but we can't really know for sure.
Difference is that the new Smash is supposed to launch this year whereas I don't imagine the new Pokémon will release this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom