• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Suddenly, I don't feel hope for Mimikyu at all anymore. I even had a dream that Mimikyu was confirmed as a Pokeball. My most wanted newcomer, I thought was a clear running up. And yet, it isn't.

Smash has been failing me lately.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The Link shown in the trailer is obviously BotW Link, and you can see his sheath being fixed for right-hand position. So that Link is right-handed, not a leftie like most Links. Which is good weight against the idea that it could just be a skin. Meaning, either we're getting a 3rd Link, OR this could be a reboot.

I'm leaning for the latter. The new Link, and the logo harking back to OG Smash seem to hint at that.

I personally would like a smaller roster of like 30 characters, Nintendo only, all revamped, with very distinct movesets, viable custom moves, and new mechanics.

So we'll see I guess.
30 characters with more distinctive movesets would be a nice change of pace, however, I feel that it could be executed poorly depending on the characters chosen.

I'd be alright with it being Nintendo-only, but I'd still miss Sonic.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Suddenly, I don't feel hope for Mimikyu at all anymore. I even had a dream that Mimikyu was confirmed as a Pokeball. My most wanted newcomer, I thought was a clear running up. And yet, it isn't.

Smash has been failing me lately.
Incineroar will be the Gen VII representative.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Decidueye >>> All >>>>> Mimikyu

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Wait a minute guys. I think it is a reboot. Think about it.
Link might be right handed now.
You know what other Link was right handed?
Skyward Sword Link.
You know Skyward Sword had in the game?
Motion controls.
Why would Link be right handed if motion controls weren't in the game?
Motion controls confirmed.

IronTed

Smash Ace
If Pokemon is this year, that would be the closest a Smash game and new Pokemon generation released. Varying on the timeline, a gen 7 Pokemon could barely make it in.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Why is everyone so down on Mimikyu all of a sudden?

I think he’s got a shot. Unique typing. Popular Pokémon. What’s the problem?

The Pokémon Reps don’t have to be starter Pokémon. Out of 6 Reps, there’s only 2 that are. 33%. The others are the mascot of the franchise, an original 12 that was a fan favorite Pokémon during her time, an fan favorite from both Pokémon and Smash, and a legendary Pokémon.

So, why is Mimikyu not eligible all of a sudden?

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team

The Pokémon Reps don’t have to be starter Pokémon. Out of 6 Reps, there’s only 2 that are. 33%. The others are the mascot of the franchise, an original 12 that was a fan favorite Pokémon during her time, an fan favorite from both Pokémon and Smash, and a legendary Pokémon.

New Gens typically have a starter represent them, with the exception of Brawl and Lucario.

UserKev

Smash Champion

That's the phenomenon of speculation. Once it blooms, all hope is lost.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
What about Super Smash Flash 2?
And then again, I just hope Nintendo can make an official spinoff of that.
And I think I have bit of a theory... which isn't convincing but... I think Nintendo cares more about the IP rather than the game itself... you have fan games that literally from the know franchises such as Pokemon and Metroid's fan game.... whereas Splatoon Chinese bootleg and Smash Flash mobile weren't banned....

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
New Gens typically have a starter represent them, with the exception of Brawl and Lucario.
I don't think that's the best logic, we got Greninja from XY and I guess you can include Pikachu in 64 with Yellow. I don't think you can make the assumption that a Gen VII Pokemon would be a starter because of that.

Greninja was chosen before Pokemon XY even came out, this will be a completely different situation. It'll likely be based on popularity if we get a Gen VII Pokemon. That being said, I think Decidueye would be the most likely candidate for a Gen VII as I think he would be the most popular.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's the phenomenon of speculation. Once it blooms, all hope is lost.
I wouldn't let speculation dictate too much on who is or isn't likely. No one knows any more on who is in the game than anyone else. Other than the dev's themselves.

Mimikyu is at least a very popular pokemon with a lot of marketing behind it with its own song, is a popular and prominent character in the anime and even got its own Z-move in the latest Pokemon games.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So...only 1 game out of 4 iterations.
Smash 64: Pikachu and Jigglypuff (Not starters)
Melee: Pichu and Mewtwo (Not starters)
Brawl: Lucario (Not starter) and Pokémon Trainer/ Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard (Granted they are starters, but they definitely aren’t representing a new generation.)
WiiU/3DS: Greninja (Starter representing a new gen.)

So 25% of games with 33% of the roster representing starters.

Mimikyu has a chance.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Mimikyu wouldn't work in Smash because someone could just jab Mimikyu then Disguise falls down. /s
That could be part of a gimmick. He can take small hits and retain regular damage, but let’s say you use a charged smash attack. Bowser’s drop kick for instance. Instead of falling of screen or taking heavy damage, Mimikyu’s disguise absorbs the hit and breaks. After it’s broken, he can have a move to repair it, but it just takes precise timing, and is risky to pull off. Ala WFT’s deep breathing. The longer he waits to repair the the quicker it’ll be fixed when he tries to fix it. If he tries immediately after it breaks, it leaves him open to take regular damage and knockback. Wait a few minutes and he can fix it lickty split.

There’s ways to make Mimikyu work. We can see him adjust his Disguise in the anime.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Looks like it is finally time to start posting in this board. I've been purposely holding off until we got some sort of confirmation.

Am honestly 50/50 at this point between a port or a new game. My bias would prefer an updated port as I'd rather not deal with the stress of character cuts nor am I interested in buying a new line of Smash amiibo beyond newcomers. 3DS/Wii U had as prefect of a roster as most could hope for and I'd rather not see that lost so soon after development ended.

E3 is probably going to make or break discussion based on what is announced. That said it's awesome to have SWF active again.
Frankly if it is a new game, character cuts are unavoidable. They reached the point last time where they reached a limit on what can realistically be inserted as far as the roster size is concernd. Once you start going into the 60+ I have a feeling you would starting running into other problems. So if new characters are to be added, something has to give. Think people need to start accepting that now to avoid being disappointed later.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
That could be part of a gimmick. He can take small hits and retain regular damage, but let’s say you use a charged smash attack. Bowser’s drop kick for instance. Instead of falling of screen or taking heavy damage, Mimikyu’s disguise absorbs the hit and breaks. After it’s broken, he can have a move to repair it, but it just takes precise timing, and is risky to pull off. Ala WFT’s deep breathing. The longer he waits to repair the the quicker it’ll be fixed when he tries to fix it. If he tries immediately after it breaks, it leaves him open to take regular damage and knockback. Wait a few minutes and he can fix it lickty split.

There’s ways to make Mimikyu work. We can see him adjust his Disguise in the anime.
Using a move to repair it would be kinda broken, I see Mimikyu repairing it over time so it's easier for people to kill.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
You guys have any favorite "leaks" from the Smash 4 speculation days? I remember a pretty interesting Chorus Kids leak (which I didn't buy) but I think the fake leak that fooled the most of us (not all) was the Rayman leak by ArtsyOmni. I think he even came on the forum and apologized haha.

Staarih

Smash Master
Mimikyu certainly has a chance and would be my personal pick for a Pokémon newcomer. Though Gen 7 has lots of good ones to pick from (any of the starters, Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, an Ultra Beast, or the event Pokémon). I don't think a fighter from Gen 8 is very likely anymore, we've all established that timing is key but the new Pokémon games would have come out, like, this year before or alongside Smash for it to feel reasonable. While Greninja was indeed picked before X/Y came out, for the general public they were out before Smash 4 and so Greninja was familiar when revealed.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
You guys have any favorite "leaks" from the Smash 4 speculation days? I remember a pretty interesting Chorus Kids leak (which I didn't buy) but I think the fake leak that fooled the most of us (not all) was the Rayman leak by ArtsyOmni. I think he even came on the forum and apologized haha.
The actual 3DS one was my favorite. It was so fun.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Using a move to repair it would be kinda broken, I see Mimikyu repairing it over time so it's easier for people to kill.
That could work too. I don’t think the move would be broken though because it would take time to repair it. It’s like I was saying, if he tries immediately afterward, it’ll leave him open to huge hits and kill potential. Wait 2-3 minutes and he can repair it right away. It still leaves time to KO the little guy. It’s a high risk, high reward kind of move. In the middle of repairing, if you’re hit, you have to start over, and it’ll take even longer.

Mimikyu certainly has a chance and would be my personal pick for a Pokémon newcomer. Though Gen 7 has lots of good ones to pick from (any of the starters, Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, an Ultra Beast, or the event Pokémon). I don't think a fighter from Gen 8 is very likely anymore, we've all established that timing is key but the new Pokémon games should come out, like, this year before or alongside Smash for it to feel reasonable. While Greninja was indeed picked before X/Y came out, for the general public they were out before Smash 4 and so Greninja was familiar when revealed.
Roy’s game wasn’t out yet when he was added into Melee. Nintendo and Sakurai could totally add in a Gen VIII Pokémon to promote the games and get people excited for what’s to come. Even if we don’t see one on the original roster, there’s always DLC.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
That could work too. I don’t think the move would be broken though because it would take time to repair it. It’s like I was saying, if he tries immediately afterward, it’ll leave him open to huge hits and kill potential. Wait 2-3 minutes and he can repair it right away. It still leaves time to KO the little guy. It’s a high risk, high reward kind of move. In the middle of repairing, if you’re hit, you have to start over, and it’ll take even longer.
I would rather the rebuilding part be passive.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers may not have their chaingrabs though... Sakurai saw Nairo and MKLeo ladder each other to death, and he then proceeded to nerf both ZSS and MK in smash 4. It is likely that he'll do the same to the Ice Climbers.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Ice Climbers may not have their chaingrabs though... Sakurai saw Nairo and MKLeo ladder each other to death, and he then proceeded to nerf both ZSS and MK in smash 4. It is likely that he'll do the same to the Ice Climbers.
Chaingrabs are removed from Smash 4 anyway.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I personally thought Mimikyu would probably have some kind of super armor unless it receives about 15-25% or so damage before it wears off for the rest of the match (or unless it loses a stock or maybe heals itself with a healing item, maybe) so it would be able to take a hit or two before being flinched, not sure how balanced that would be but I guess that's an option.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Considering the game is releasing the same year as it is announced, I think it might be worth discussing the possible timeline of major reveals, which is going to be shorter and thus probably very different compared to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

Personally I'm expecting this teaser to be all we're getting prior to E3, which will be the time when we're going to get a legit trailer with more details and actual gameplay footage. Afterwars reveals are going to be more and more concentrated over time, similar to the previous Smash pre-release era. Here's what I think is a reasonably expectable reveal timeline:
(for the sake of this post "new character" means character not in Smash 3DS/Wii U, both newcomers and cut characters from previous entries)

- June: two or three new characters for E3 including Inkling (and actual gameplay footage of them);
- July: nothing;
- August: nothing again;
- September: new character revealed in a general Direct;
- October: new isolated character trailer (like Robin);
- November: one or two new character trailers in a Smash Direct before the game's release the same month;
- plus two or three new hidden unrevealed and unlockable characters.

So I'm expecting between 7 and 10 new characters in the base game, a number that may vary according to how much this game is based on the Wii U version or derivates from it. This is to be compared to Smash 3DS/Wii U which had 15, or 12 if you don't count the clone trio. Or maybe I'm underestimating how concentrated new character reveals will be over time prior to the game's release.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Considering the game is releasing the same year as it is announced, I think it might be worth discussing the possible timeline of major reveals, which is going to be shorter and thus probably very different compared to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

Personally I'm expecting this teaser to be all we're getting prior to E3, which will be the time when we're going to get a legit trailer with more details and actual gameplay footage. Afterwars reveals are going to be more and more concentrated over time, similar to the previous Smash pre-release era. Here's what I think is a reasonably expectable reveal timeline:
(for the sake of this post "new character" means character not in Smash 3DS/Wii U, both newcomers and cut characters from previous entries)

- June: two or three new characters including Inkling (and actual gameplay footage of them);
- July: nothing;
- August: nothing again;
- September: new character revealed in a general Direct;
- October: new isolated character trailer (like Robin);
- November: one or two new character trailers in a Smash Direct before the game's release the same month;
- plus two or three new hidden unrevealed and unlockable characters.

So I'm expecting between 7 and 10 new characters in the base game, a number that may vary according to how much this game is based on the Wii U version or derivates from it. This is to be compared to Smash 3DS/Wii U which had 15, or 12 if you don't count the clone trio. Or maybe I'm underestimating how concentrated new character reveals will be over time prior to the game's release.
What makes you think this game is in November?

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Anyone see the IGN video where they put down their guesses as to who the characters are? I feel like they made several mistakes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom