• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Unexpected announcement.

Did we get hints at some Inkling moves?

B: Gun
Side B: Squid
Down B: Grenade

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i just want the new smash game to have its own sense of identity, even if i like it less than smash 4.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I really hope this is Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch.

I want many newcomers and many new stages and many new items and many new Assist Trophies. I want many new stuff to justify calling it Smash 5 instead of Smash 4 Switch.
It will. They would have said if it was Smash 4 for Switch. It would just be outright revealed. Not a teaser trailer with no official name.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
If they turn Smash into a constantly-updated "service" game, I'll be hyped as ****. The speculation hype train wouldn't be over even once we have the game in our hands!

Wii U/3DS was kind of like that during a year but I feel like they could do so much more with that idea. It'd be amazing if they manage to keep updates free, like they have with Splatoon and Arms, but I'm not holding my breath to be honest. Fighting game characters are not exactly a simple task. They're probably gonna want to monetize it somehow.

As for the developer, I really don't think it's Namco anymore. The website lists HAL Laboratory, which as far as I remember, didn't actually have anything to do with the development of Wii U/3DS. Namco, however, was listed as a developer right from the start.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
The forums are scaring me. I thought there were threads. The newcomer thread already has 35 pages worth of threads.

And there are being made as I type. The veteran forum is slowly approaching that (did not even bother scrolling past the first five I saw there). Meanwhile, the Inklings forum has 1 thread with 257 pages. You guys can catch me in there.

Edit: Khao Khao

With Smash 4's DLC announcements after Mewtwo I heard talks of that and thought that was where the series was headed.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
As for the developer, I really don't think it's Namco anymore. The website lists HAL Laboratory, which as far as I remember, didn't actually have anything to do with the development of Wii U/3DS. Namco, however, was listed as a developer right from the start.
HI I'M GONNA CONTRADICT MYSELF AFTER ONLY THREE MINUTES.

From the old website, through wayback machine. Welp, says the same ****.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I really hope this is Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch.

I want many newcomers and many new stages and many new items and many new Assist Trophies. I want many new stuff to justify calling it Smash 5 instead of Smash 4 Switch.
More than anything, this reveal trailer and the drama behind it implies that it's a new game.

When MK8 DX was announced, it was just announced. No super dramatic reveal or anything like that.

Even with tons of new content, a teaser like this for an updated port would be anticlimactic.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
People, calm down. It's a new game. Just like Mario Tennis Aces uses assets from Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and has revamped veterans, this will too.

There should be plentiful content in the form of newcomers, stages, items, modes etc. I think it's safe to say that all the veterans are returning too. As long as there aren't any legal issues with third parties.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I squealed like a pig when the trailer came on.

Anyway, I think you guys are overthinking this. When it says original game, it probably refers to the original version of the game, meaning its likely a game in the same vein as Pokken DX or MK8 DX. Cool new logo though, and I'm expecting at least 3 new characters, as well as veterans.

Greninja isn't being cut, you can kind of see his head next to DK in the trailer.

Get this:
Who is that one by Wario? Ganondorf? Robin?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
All I ask is cor the return of the Cracker Launcher.

WHY WERE YOU ABSENT FROM SMASH 4!?!?!?

YOU WERE THE LIFE OF THE PARTY!

I also hope the very high item setting returns so I can relish in the days of old with frame-dropped pokemon battles. Oh, and reduce the chance for a capsule/crate/party ball to explode. Happened so much in Smash that there was no point in attacking them. Party Balls gave out less items when they spawned unless it was food but even that was reduced from Melee/Brawl.

Please, please, please, bring back the low chance of enemies appearing in crates from Melee. I loved throwing them at players to deal huge knockback and damage.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t know about you guys but I got a huge helmeted Kylo Ren vibe when Mario and Link came into view. In fact, I wouldn’t of been surprised if the entire cast had pulled out red-colored Sith lightsabers.

And I guess the entire Eye of Sauron also popped into my head.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I don’t know about you guys but I got a huge helmeted Kylo Ren vibe when Mario and Link came into view. In fact, I wouldn’t of been surprised if the entire cast had pulled out red-colored Sith lightsabers.

...I would not have been opposed to seeing the cast pull out lightsabers

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
There were kids dead serious about including those characters in the game while others just joined in for the lulz. My body is not prepared to deal with that again.
Unrealistic characters like Cloud, right? ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goku, TBH, not because I want to see him, but because Banco handles all the DBZ games and I expect the 3rd party inclusions to only get more outlandish with each iteration.

Khao

Smash Lord
All I ask is cor the return of the Cracker Launcher.

WHY WERE YOU ABSENT FROM SMASH 4!?!?!?
For a moment I was like "wait, whos that"

Then I remember that there's things in Smash other than characters, lol.

I gotta say, one of the things I really freaking want to see is Adventure mode. I don't necessarily something as gigantic and elaborated as Brawls, but I also don't want something as simplistic as Melee (which honestly felt more like a classic mode with a couple of sidescrolling sections. Great idea, got old fast.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know what? I think this is definitely Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch. Why? There are now five official Smash websites.

Smash 5 = http://smashbros.com/en_US/index.html

Smash 4 = http://smashbros.com/wiiu-3ds/us/index.html

Brawl = http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/index.html

Melee = https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/ (Japanese)

Smash 64 = https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/index.html (Japanese)
Well, they have no information on it. It's on a new system. It's easier to have a new website since it clearly has differences from 3DS/Wii U if it's a port. It's kind of a necessity since it's not simply DLC.

Of course, I believe it's a new Smash, but that's just my headcanon.

Well, the Beam Sword is based upon the Lightsaber, so...

Hokori

Great King of Evil

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goku, TBH, not because I want to see him, but because Banco handles all the DBZ games and I expect the 3rd party inclusions to only get more outlandish with each iteration.
Mainly referring to Shrek. The Shrek requests always got me. And Donkey as an Assist Trophy.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So it's that time again, huh? Oh boy oh boy... ¦D

I'd like to be excited, but I'm honestly not all that happy about Sakurai being on this one again. I don't like his vision for the series at all and I came to pretty much hate Smash 4 immensely, so I don't want another game like it or worse.

That said, Pre-Smash Hype Season is best season and there's no way I'm missing out on that. <3

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Except, Sakurai has stated on numerous occasions that only characters that have debuted in a video game are eligible

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know what? I think this is definitely Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch. Why? There are now five official Smash websites.

Smash 5 = http://smashbros.com/en_US/index.html

Smash 4 = http://smashbros.com/wiiu-3ds/us/index.html

Brawl = http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/index.html

Melee = https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/ (Japanese)

Smash 64 = https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/index.html (Japanese)
Smash 6! Hahah, I enjoy being pedantic.

But yeah, it's a new game; I mean Sakurai even says the actual title is pending. Doesn't mean it won't heavily be based on Smash Wii U, though. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Except, Sakurai has stated on numerous occasions that only characters that have debuted in a video game are eligible
He also said at one point that Animal Crossing was too nonviolent to have a rep.

Things change, after all, and the old "rules" are only as binding as Sakurai wants them to be.

Again, I've no interest in seeing Goku or a lot of other 3rd party characters, but I don't think it's safe to rule anyone out, especially after Cloud's inclusion when he's a character that's basically synonymous with PlayStation.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He also said at one point that Animal Crossing was too nonviolent to have a rep.

Things change, after all...
Also, R.O.B. didn't properly debut on a video game system.

Also, he never actually said that either.

He more said he wouldn't add Manga characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom