• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well itd have to be a specific simulator ride were pairing rl rides to the characters you know.
I was just listing what the rides were before as me and my family went on those versions of the rides before and we were more familiar with them. It’s currently the Despicable Me version and I’m assuming it hasn’t changed outside of the license so I guess I’ll go with that one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just got back from my weekly grocery shopping, the thread only gained two pages since I left. I am deeply disappoint.
In a sense, I get it. Not the volatile responses to people they deem casuals or the hissyfits they're known to throw, but more the idea of "I was here first and I'm more of a fan than you." It's somehow disheartening when a clearly more casual fan talks about how much they love something despite not being able to keep up with you in a conversation about it.

Ever since Daredevil came to Netflix, I've run into so many huge Daredevil fans who can't name a single character who wasn't in the show. As a comic book nerd who ****ing loved Daredevil since middleschool, those conversations annoy me.
This is a really good point; it's a point of view I've felt but never been able to vocalise. :laugh:

Regarding Modern FE: The one problem with Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates: Birthright I can see is that the games don't really make much of an effort to train the player to be able to handle the other, harder games. It's all well and good to have the games be casual friendly (especially in the early game), but what isn't good is to only have the map missions be "Rout the Enemy" (I can't remember if Awakening branches out from that, but Birthright definitely doesn't; most, if not all, of the chapters in BR are Rout missions).
School had me for a while.

Anyway, still haven't spent a year here. Even that hasn't stopped me from being familiar with more people than I was expecting. Does anybody else ever think "what if [insert anything] never happened?" to themselves? If I never considered buying Smash and watching tourneys, I probably would have never been here at all. Not the most emotive person in the world, but I can say I have made friends here. I don't know if I'll be posting here frequently in the future, but who knows?

So, thanks to:
or helping make the place look more comfortable.

And some friends I haven't seen in a while,. Uh, the list goes on, so I might have actually forgotten to name some people. That does mean something good, at least...

Okay, back to the edgy personality.
Appreciate the shout-out, Iridium. :grin:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just got back from my weekly grocery shopping, the thread only gained two pages since I left. I am deeply disappoint.

This is a really good point; it's a point of view I've felt but never been able to vocalise. :laugh:

Regarding Modern FE: The one problem with Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates: Birthright I can see is that the games don't really make much of an effort to train the player to be able to handle the other, harder games. It's all well and good to have the games be casual friendly (especially in the early game), but what isn't good is to only have the map missions be "Rout the Enemy" (I can't remember if Awakening branches out from that, but Birthright definitely doesn't; most, if not all, of the chapters in BR are Rout missions).

Appreciate the shout-out, Iridium. :grin:
Awakening is mostly just Rout the Enemy with a few Defeat the Commander missions sprinkled in.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Okay, so after giving it a lot of thought (because of my limited knowledge of non-Disney Parks attractions and my love for theming above all else) and decided to do one for Marth. :ultmarth: For the ride itself, I decided to base it off of the only-recently-defunct EPCOT ride, Maelstrom.

Maelstrom, which I'm happy to have gotten to ride before it went kaput, was a fairly standard log flume ride, but was notable for its sense of Norwegian culture, fitting for an EPCOT ride. You would take a vikingesque ship (there's probably a more accurate word for these but I don't know it off hand) and sail through a labyrinthine ice cave, beset by magical trolls. The ride would then spill into a theater after the final stretch, showing a documentary about Norway's history.

So for this version, the ride would be titled "Anri's Way," the legendary and perilous in-universe route that Marth's great grand-uncle, the mythical hero Anri, took to reach the Ice Dragon Temple and receive Falchion. Chapters 11-14 of (New) Mystery of the Emblem feature Marth conquering that same route against all odds, with the final stretch (13-14) having a very icy appearance (complete with rivers), given the beasts that make their home there. Combine this with Archanea's rich lore and history, and I believe the ride becomes the perfect fit for a Maelstrom substitute.

The trolls would be replaced with ice dragons, of course, sending the boat careening back with a blast of cold wind instead of magic. You'd be able to see and hear the battle raging outside of the Temple, with Marth leading the charge, before finally reaching the Temple and Lord Gotoh. At the end, instead of a film reel dedicated to Norway, it's one dedicated to the continent of Archanea, done in a style reminiscent of if Archanea really existed.

The ride's queue would be modeled after Maelstrom's, but also at take inspiration from EPCOT Norway's little Viking museum. The room would be adorned with a map of Archanea lining the walls, alongside glass display cases housing "Archanean artifacts," in the forms of some of Archanea's powerful legendary weapons. The Hammerne and Aum Staves, the Wing Spear, Mercurius, Gradivus, Parthia, Hauteclere, Aura, Excalibur, Starlight, the Divinestone, and Falchion itself would all be on display, with each "exhibit" going into each weapon's history. The obligatory attached gift shop has the cashiers dressed as Anna, and outside the pavilion there's a meet and greet spot fashioned after an Outrealm Gate, allowing for non-Archanean Fire Emblem characters to appear there without breaking the theming.

I like theme park brainstorming. :p
OK but im giving the rides successor of Frozen to :ultlucina:

I was just listing what the rides were before as me and my family went on those versions of the rides before and we were more familiar with them. It’s currently the Despicable Me version and I’m assuming it hasn’t changed outside of the license so I guess I’ll go with that one.
Well i already got you down with fox for Soarin over Pandora, why not wait a bit and if nobody else takes him let pit have the original Soarin

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
OK but im giving the rides successor of Frozen to :ultlucina:
I was gonna make a joke about but decided against it. :laugh:

Seriously, people think the fandom wars for Smash, Fire Emblem, and Pokémon are bad? The Disney Parks fandom is ten times worse if ever someone brings up Maelstrom vs Frozen Ever After. :p

KMDP

Smash Legend
Awakening is mostly just Rout the Enemy with a few Defeat the Commander missions sprinkled in.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Basically, "Rout the Enemy" is the most casual friendly Fire Emblem Mission type.

One might think "surely it makes the game harder because you need to fight everyone?". but no. It forces you to gain experience from fighting everyone, making your whole team higher levelled, making the game easier in the long run.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I was gonna make a joke about but decided against it. :laugh:

Seriously, people think the fandom wars for Smash, Fire Emblem, and Pokémon are bad? The Disney Parks fandom is ten times worse if ever someone brings up Maelstrom vs Frozen Ever After. :p
Well lets hope the next few additions to the forum game arent in disney parks. Seriously i can name ten non disney parks on the east coast that got pretty damn good rides too, almost had my own entry be Captain Falcon paired with Lightning Racer at HersheyPark. But i figured someone else could think of a different racing coaster or ride..
Edit: OK ILL EVEN DO IT

1. Six Flags Great Adventure (home of Kingda-ka the fastest and tallest on earth roller coaster)
2. HersheyPark
3. Busch Gardens (Either in Tampa or in Williamsburg)
4. Knotts Berry Farm (Arguably the FIRST theme park predating Disneyland)
5. Carowinds (this ones the closest to me now if anyone wants to know that)
6. SeaWorld Orlando
7. Universal Resort Orlando
8. Kings Dominion Virginia
9. Dorney Park Allentown
10. Coney Island (Ok the park is called luna park and if nobody pairs little mac with the coney island cyclone ill slug yas)
11. Cedar Point (Flagship of Cedar Fair amusement Parks)
12. Kings Island Ohio (Home of the Beast former home of Son of Beast two of the best wooden coasters on the planet)
13. im pretty sure i single counted a few doubles but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So no Direct for this week as well. At the very latest, the direct would be February 15th since that's when PP's amiibo is released.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Awakening had very few that weren't rout the enemy. Conquest did. But Fates in general got way too experimental with their map gimmicks and not enough with the actual gameplay.

The main problem in this regard, I think, is one they can't fix: When you dumb down the difficulty to appeal to a wider audience, the only way for that same audience to get into your older games is for them to willingly up the difficulty themselves (because you still have to be fairly good at the FE format to beat Awakening or even Birthright on hard). And for the people who just came for the waifus and story, there's no motivation to do that.

There'll forever be a wall between old FE games and post-Awakening titles simply because the tactics-heavy, grid-style kind of RPG will remain a niche while pleasant-looking characters doing quotable things will appeal to anyone with a Twitter account. The only thing oldschool fans can hope for is that the games moving forward will do more with the optional difficulties than just upping stats. Give old fans a real challenge while giving new fans the easy road they want.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Guys, let's not rush Nintendo with the direct. The longer it takes for the direct to happen, the more time Nintendo has to make more content to surprise us.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
In space everyone can hear him screech.
First furry Mewtwo and now fleshy Riddley? This is terrifying. It makes him seem more like a demon then a dragon. But I accept dragons of all varieties, even violent, fleshy, demonic cyborg ones from space.

No but seriously though this is my favorite picture yet. What if this is all a stealthy build up for Kratos in Smash? /s

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Before this thread meets its end on page 9999 I want to say one thing

I only JUST realized that Cloud’s 8th palette is a subtle reference to the Miss Cloud dress

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
First furry Mewtwo and now fleshy Riddley? This is terrifying. It makes him seem more like a demon then a dragon. But I accept dragons of all varieties, even violent, fleshy, demonic cyborg ones from space.

No but seriously though this is my favorite picture yet. What if this is all a stealthy build up for Kratos in Smash? /s
*posts last image
*it's Kratos
*Kratos announced for Smash on the same day

KMDP

Smash Legend
Awakening had very few that weren't rout the enemy. Conquest did. But Fates in general got way too experimental with their map gimmicks and not enough with the actual gameplay.

The main problem in this regard, I think, is one they can't fix: When you dumb down the difficulty to appeal to a wider audience, the only way for that same audience to get into your older games is for them to willingly up the difficulty themselves (because you still have to be fairly good at the FE format to beat Awakening or even Birthright on hard). And for the people who just came for the waifus and story, there's no motivation to do that.

There'll forever be a wall between old FE games and post-Awakening titles simply because the tactics-heavy, grid-style kind of RPG will remain a niche while pleasant-looking characters doing quotable things will appeal to anyone with a Twitter account. The only thing oldschool fans can hope for is that the games moving forward will do more with the optional difficulties than just upping stats. Give old fans a real challenge while giving new fans the easy road they want.
I didn't mind any of Conquest's maps, in fact I liked most of them (yes, even "Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride").

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
In a sense, I get it. Not the volatile responses to people they deem casuals or the hissyfits they're known to throw, but more the idea of "I was here first and I'm more of a fan than you." It's somehow disheartening when a clearly more casual fan talks about how much they love something despite not being able to keep up with you in a conversation about it.
The Fire Emblem community is exactly this. Japanese fans to Rom Translation fans to GBA fans to Tellius fans to 3DS fans.

I disagree about the wall being there forever. Older games in the series (at least they're old to 3DS fans) were eventually excepted by the original fans so I suspect the same will happen to the 3DS games once Three Kingdoms comes out. I think it just comes down to newer fans checking out the older games, playing the newer ones, and thus being more able to compare what they like/dislike about the series.

Download Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, and Shadow Dragon on the Wii U VC and you'll be mostly up to speed on how the series as a whole is. Blazing Sword is the hardest but has a solid tutorial story. Sacred Stones has grinding. Shadow Dragon has save points on each map to help reduce RNG.

Additionally I hope newer games take after Tellius more. It's stupid that Bonus Exp hasn't returned to the series as it's a mechanic on par with Kirby's copy ability in terms of brilliance IMO. It rewards good play habits, eliminates the need to grind, allows for newcomers to buff units they see as key, and offers optional secondary objectives to complete for veterans. If you save each time before you use it, you can reset when you get poor RNG for stat increases.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Before I played the Resident Evil 2 demo I was like, “Yeah, a character from those games would be cool.”

Now i’m absolutely all for it. I think Leon or Jill would be a great pick, with Leon being the outlier who hasn’t been in a fighter yet. If they went with Jill, I think they’d pull some stuff from MvC.

As someone who hadn’t thought about it before, I think it would be a great pick as DLC. Expands three Smash universe with a well known series that still packs a punch, and really maintains the “major series crossover” feel.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The Fire Emblem community is exactly this. Japanese fans to Rom Translation fans to GBA fans to Tellius fans to 3DS fans.

I disagree about the wall being there forever. Older games in the series (at least they're old to 3DS fans) were eventually excepted by the original fans so I suspect the same will happen to the 3DS games once Three Kingdoms comes out. I think it just comes down to newer fans checking out the older games, playing the newer ones, and thus being more able to compare what they like/dislike about the series.

Download Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, and Shadow Dragon on the Wii U VC and you'll be mostly up to speed on how the series as a whole is. Blazing Sword is the hardest but has a solid tutorial story. Sacred Stones has grinding. Shadow Dragon has save points on each map to help reduce RNG.

Additionally I hope newer games take after Tellius more. It's stupid that Bonus Exp hasn't returned to the series as it's a mechanic on par with Kirby's copy ability in terms of brilliance IMO. It rewards good play habits, eliminates the need to grind, allows for newcomers to buff units they see as key, and offers optional secondary objectives to complete for veterans. If you save each time before you use it, you can reset when you get poor RNG for stat increases.
I have to say, while I love Blazing Sword (It was the first FE game I played), I do think it would have done the game well to give players the option to access Lyn Hard Mode from the start.

Also, you are absolutely 100% correct about Bonus Exp.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just want the Advance Wars ride that runs once every 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom