• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
You now get to add three, and only three music tracks to Smash. They don't even have to be from a video game. What tracks would you pick? For me...

Rivals in Another Dimension/A Battle of Friends and Bonds 4 (Kirby stages)
Astral Birth Void (Kirby stages)
SUPER-REFLEX (Other stages)
Any music from the Jojo Part 1 anime (That ost is really good),
American Venom (RDR2),
and a new Mother 3 remix that's emotional.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While your statement is true, I believe that if we have to have cuts (and I don’t think we do but whatever) characters like Ike and Lucario are on the chopping block. Sure they have “unique” gameplay, but a new character could always do the same thing but better. And while legacy is definitely important, Ike and Lucario just aren’t that big in the grand scheme of Nintendo or Smash. I really don’t think this sheild of iconography extends beyond characters from Melee or 64.
In that case though, why not keep the character that players have several years experience playing as and having an attachment to? That seems like replacing characters for the sake of it.

Lucario not being an icon is flat out wrong though my dude. He’s one of the only non-1st gen picks that has stood out among the other six generations besides the first, even showing up in the mainly first gen Super Bowl commercial.

Frankly i’m of the opinion that none of the newer characters that could get picked should get in over anyone we have. Most of the characters we have I would consider “essentials” especially for those who consider a hall of fame type of game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You now get to add three, and only three music tracks to Smash. They don't even have to be from a video game. What tracks would you pick? For me...

Field Battle (BOTW)
Battling Precariously (Ninja Gaiden II)
Unbreakable Determination (Ninja Gaiden)

Not hard for me.

Or...

Damage Inc. (Metallica)
The Conjuring (Megadeth)
Leprosy (Death)

If I went with non-videogame stuff.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Dialga's Fight to the Finish (PMD2)
Dark Matter Theme (Robobot)
Something from Steven Universe

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Look, in my opinion if there's anyone that's gonna be cut, it would at least be one or two from Fire Emblem, which are probably Corrin, and (This sounds hurtful saying it) Lucina. Even people now know echo fighters don't take space, it still feels like there's a lot of them.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Guess I have to get out something cute for Noi since everyone else is doing it.
cute-snow-leopard-cub-dreamtime-38554816-1448-1159.jpg

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I am generally against cuts, even for fighters I dislike, outside of something like a full-blown series reboot (which I think is a very valid option for the next installment). However, I do think Cloud is on the chopping block unless the next Smash is another EVERYONE IS HERE!, and I say that as somebody who enjoys Cloud. According to the game data, Cloud was the last fighter to be added to the game, after even any newcomers, which makes me worry we came really close to having a Smash game where ALMOST EVERYONE IS HERE!. I feel that Cloud has a very good chance of getting cut. Not because they'd want to cut him, but because it doesn't seem like Square enjoys playing ball in Sora Ltd.'s court, given how it seems Cloud narrowly squeezed in this time.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Oh, I thought you were talking about the anime. Because I've heard a lot of Incineroar supporters saying Ash's Torracat is gonna suddenly jump out of the shadows and become Ash's ace (something that doesn't have much pointing towards it).
I think it's less about being his ace and more about being his fully evolved and having an impending rivalry in the anime. Both of which having things pointing towards them

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You guys The owl and wolf are great picks we don't have any archers nor ANYONE with a counter.

(Okay I can't stop laughing)
I’ve been wanting to call you out on this for a while now... but remembering your reasons against Decidueye about how one special move makes him similar to Link and Pit over the last couple of months... is what’s laughable.

Does this:
5D64DC99-B525-4D0F-B668-F74D45CA12FE.jpeg

Or This:
AB0BEBAF-D2B6-4E8B-9568-68F854A92D10.png

Look like they will have a similar moveset to this:
FB17234F-BAEE-4EFF-95BB-BB3A06598707.jpeg

Even take out their Archery aspect (including the Links and Pits) and look at their moveset and what moveset Decidueye would have and it would still be different.

I fail to see your point. And Sakurai has made it clear that the reason Incineroar is a fighter is because he wanted to work on a wrestler. That’s all we know, but I honestly think “uniqueness” wouldn’t be the fault because S/M already came out when Sakurai was picking a Pokémon, so concept art is thrown out the window and the idea that’s Decidueye would be similar to Pit/Link is already faulty to begin with.

And that’s only half of what you said that I want to address along with some other things, but I don’t feel so good at the moment.

... I sleep now.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace

Only 3? This is going to be hard.

Namida Ga Afureta - Strawberry Flower
Parallel Boss Battle - Kirby Star Allies: Heroes in Another Dimention
Hot Head Bop - DKC2

I'd leave a list of honorable mentions, but it'd be like 50 songs long.

Edit: It seems like I only like video game music :p

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe

Alright let’s see...
Crystal tear drops (castlevania SoTN)
Dung Defender (Hollow Knight)
The lightning battle (Kid Icarus Uprising)

I feel the last two would work wonderfully in smash. Crystal tear drops would be a lost painting type deal, just speed it up? I’d love to leave it the same though!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’ve been wanting to call you out on this for a while now... but remembering your reasons against Decidueye about how one special move makes him similar to Link and Pit over the last couple of months... is what’s laughable.

Does this:
View attachment 186952
Or This:
View attachment 186953
Look like they will have a similar moveset to this:
View attachment 186955
Even take out their Archery aspect (including the Links and Pits) and look at their moveset and what moveset Decidueye would have and it would still be different.

I fail to see your point. And Sakurai has made it clear that the reason Incineroar is a fighter is because he wanted to work on a wrestler. That’s all we know, but I honestly think “uniqueness” wouldn’t be the fault because S/M already came out when Sakurai was picking a Pokémon, so concept art is thrown out the window and the idea that’s Decidueye would be similar to Pit/Link is already faulty to begin with.

And that’s only half of what you said that I want to address along with some other things, but I don’t feel so good at the moment.

... I sleep now.
Doesn’t matter...Pit will always be better than both

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I'm kind of sad that Dark Samus is not played much because of the tier lists, since she's soo cool in my opinion. I mean, that's why I have this profile picture, she looks really good with K. Rools cape.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm kind of sad that Dark Samus is not played much because of the tier lists, since she's soo cool in my opinion. I mean, that's why I have this profile picture, she looks really good with K. Rools cape.
Yeah, Dark Samus is really fun. And this is coming from someone who couldn't care less about the Metroid series.

That might change.

D

Deleted member

If it makes you feel better, I actually play a lot of her! She's probably in my top 3 favorites to play as right now, honestly.

Why do people consider the Samuses bad again? I thought people were saying they were pretty good now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You've heard of Chrom's arm looking weird now get ready for
That Falcon Punch must have left more side effects than initially thought :crazy:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If it makes you feel better, I actually play a lot of her! She's probably in my top 3 favorites to play as right now, honestly.

Why do people consider the Samuses bad again? I thought people were saying they were pretty good now.
She lacks combos and is kinda slow.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Look, in my opinion if there's anyone that's gonna be cut, it would at least be one or two from Fire Emblem, which are probably Corrin, and (This sounds hurtful saying it) Lucina. Even people now know echo fighters don't take space, it still feels like there's a lot of them.
Here's my thoughts on it.

If the next Smash in 5-7 years really does cut back on total characters, I would honestly recommend keeping Marth, Robin and Corrin, as they are all unique movesets that also happen to represent the best selling games in the series (Marth was the star of four separate releases, and Awakening and Fates are the only titles to break 1million copies) and Ike sheerly for his obvious popularity as demonstrated in FEH. Then, for the sake of variety, I would use Roy's moveset for another swordsman, and then one unique moveset for an entirely new addition. That would bring the total to six, which isn't overbearing but still a decent representation of a series with 16 canonical games.

I know Roy fans would hate it in particular, not to mention Lucina and Chrom fans (me), but replacing the old guard with a new guard after the explosion of Fire Emblem's popularity makes the most sense to me. Corrin may be a dumb character from a dumb game, but it's still a very strong-selling game with a major fanbase despite its well-documented flaws, and she/he has probably the best rounded kit out of any FE character.

Personally, I'd go Marth, (OG gen) Robin, Corrin, (3DS Gen) Ike (GC/Wii Gen), Lyn (Roy's kit, GBA Gen) and one of Edelgard/Celica/Anna as the new member. That's an even split of male to female, no generation of FE is overrepresented, all the characters are well known in and out of the FE community, modern "anime style" FE fans are happy, classic FE fans are happy, and everything's fine.

That said, I would still try to wedge Lucina in as a Marth clone because I don't like that tipper anymore and I really want Lucina's moveset again. Plus she's Lucina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom