• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's my thoughts on it.

If the next Smash in 5-7 years really does cut back on total characters, I would honestly recommend keeping Marth, Robin and Corrin, as they are all unique movesets that also happen to represent the best selling games in the series (Marth was the star of four separate releases, and Awakening and Fates are the only titles to break 1million copies) and Ike sheerly for his obvious popularity as demonstrated in FEH. Then, for the sake of variety, I would use Roy's moveset for another swordsman, and then one unique moveset for an entirely new addition. That would bring the total to six, which isn't overbearing but still a decent representation of a series with 16 canonical games.

I know Roy fans would hate it in particular, not to mention Lucina and Chrom fans (me), but replacing the old guard with a new guard after the explosion of Fire Emblem's popularity makes the most sense to me. Corrin may be a dumb character from a dumb game, but it's still a very strong-selling game with a major fanbase despite its well-documented flaws, and she/he has probably the best rounded kit out of any FE character.

Personally, I'd go Marth, (OG gen) Robin, Corrin, (3DS Gen) Ike (GC/Wii Gen), Lyn (Roy's kit, GBA Gen) and one of Edelgard/Celica/Anna as the new member. That's an even split of male to female, no generation of FE is overrepresented, all the characters are well known in and out of the FE community, modern "anime style" FE fans are happy, classic FE fans are happy, and everything's fine.

That said, I would still try to wedge Lucina in as a Marth clone because I don't like that tipper anymore and I really want Lucina's moveset again. Plus she's Lucina.
If I had to trim FE to the bare minimum, I would have Marth, Hector, and Robin. They all come from different eras, use different weapons, and all look different. If I was to add another, it would be Ike.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At least getting Falcon Punched gave Chrom awesome hair

but at what cost?

AT WHAT COST?! :cry:

:troll:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If it makes you feel better, I actually play a lot of her! She's probably in my top 3 favorites to play as right now, honestly.

Why do people consider the Samuses bad again? I thought people were saying they were pretty good now.
The problem with "pretty good now" is that it implies that they're better now than they were before. Which is the case for virtually every character in this game but Bayo, Cloud, Luigi, Mario, Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

So if every character got better, it's possible for an individual character to get better but still not get much better on the overall scale. Zelda is SO much better than she's ever been, but she's still mid-tier at the absolute best. The nice thing about Ultimate, at least as of right now, is that so much more of the cast is viable than any other Smash game before it. Still, some are clearly better than others-- even if it's by a slimmer margin than we're used to.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
At least getting Falcon Punched gave Chrom awesome hair

but at what cost?

AT WHAT COST?! :cry:

:troll:
chrom's punishment for being falcon punched was becoming a stilted echo fighter with the model from robin's final smash slapped over roy's skeleton with taunt animations done by an intern in a day and the expressiveness of a brick

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A while ago some people mentioned spirit fights, so I thought of a couple for Mega Man X, since he's who I'm shilling, because he's one of my personal favorites. There's a lot to work with, since there's Maverick bosses and the armors Mega Man X has. I'll think of some Tekken ones for Heihachi or Jin or something.

Storm Eagle: Purple Falco, Pilotwings, Gust Bellows, Strong Winds.
Spark Mandrill: Donkey Kong, Electric Floor, Frigate Orpheon/Wily Castle, Boosted Specials
Neon Tiger: Incineroar, DK64 stage, maybe with Killing Edge or Super Scope
Launch Octopus: Inkling with the Steel Diver, Floaty Jumps, Termina Bay
Magma Dragoon: Ryu/Ken or Ridley on Norfair.
Blizzard Wolfang: Blue Wolf on Ice Climber, Has a Freezie and the Ice floor.
Wire Sponge: Ivysaur who uses a ton of grabs. An invisible Pikachu spams Down+B when Ivysaur's low on health.
Rainy Turtloid: Giant Red Squirtle who you fight on Suzaku Castle.
Split Mushroom: Two Orange Mega Men on Wily's Castle, maybe they have Ramblin' Mushroom.
Armored Armadillo: Purple Sonic with Back Shield on Great Cave Offensive.
Infinity Mijinion: 4 Green Mega Men and only Ditto spawns from Pokeballs. Wily Castle.

Gold Armor Mega Man X: Gold boosted MMX with a Beam Saber, Central Highway.
Falcon Armor MMX: MMX with a rocket belt, again Central Highway.
Gaea Armor MMX: Super Armor and boosted specials. Central Highway.
Shadow Armor: MMX with Killing Edge and increased defense. Central Highway.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just finally completed the whole Spirits list including the "living dex" Spirits list, (besides the Partner Pikachu/Eevee Spirits but I'll probably just wait until their added to the Spirits Board).

Besides some minor sidechores, I guess I more or less 100% completed Smash Ultimate now, guess Its on to wait for the DLC and whatever new Spirit event challenges they may add in the future.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
chrom's punishment for being falcon punched was becoming a stilted echo fighter with the model from robin's final smash slapped over roy's skeleton with taunt animations done by an intern in a day and the expressiveness of a brick
Wait... he got punched and then he got punished for that? I feel bad for the man now...

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You've heard of Chrom's arm looking weird now get ready for
That Falcon Punch must have left more side effects than initially thought :crazy:
No wonder why people like Viridi and online fans still mock him
Here's my thoughts on it.

If the next Smash in 5-7 years really does cut back on total characters, I would honestly recommend keeping Marth, Robin and Corrin, as they are all unique movesets that also happen to represent the best selling games in the series (Marth was the star of four separate releases, and Awakening and Fates are the only titles to break 1million copies) and Ike sheerly for his obvious popularity as demonstrated in FEH. Then, for the sake of variety, I would use Roy's moveset for another swordsman, and then one unique moveset for an entirely new addition. That would bring the total to six, which isn't overbearing but still a decent representation of a series with 16 canonical games.

I know Roy fans would hate it in particular, not to mention Lucina and Chrom fans (me), but replacing the old guard with a new guard after the explosion of Fire Emblem's popularity makes the most sense to me. Corrin may be a dumb character from a dumb game, but it's still a very strong-selling game with a major fanbase despite its well-documented flaws, and she/he has probably the best rounded kit out of any FE character.

Personally, I'd go Marth, (OG gen) Robin, Corrin, (3DS Gen) Ike (GC/Wii Gen), Lyn (Roy's kit, GBA Gen) and one of Edelgard/Celica/Anna as the new member. That's an even split of male to female, no generation of FE is overrepresented, all the characters are well known in and out of the FE community, modern "anime style" FE fans are happy, classic FE fans are happy, and everything's fine.

That said, I would still try to wedge Lucina in as a Marth clone because I don't like that tipper anymore and I really want Lucina's moveset again. Plus she's Lucina.
better idea...keep the current list of Fire Emblem Heroes/Warriors playable in Smash as well as the AT characters while adding more for both categories

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
...Why would they have cut Yoshi?

Why would they cut Yoshi?

There is a small pool of characters in danger of being cut at the dawn of each new game, and Yoshi is never among them, not even close.
I never thought he'd get cut, but I was irritated beyond belief that he was essentially put on the backburner like that despite being an OG 8

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
A while ago some people mentioned spirit fights, so I thought of a couple for Mega Man X, since he's who I'm shilling, because he's one of my personal favorites. There's a lot to work with, since there's Maverick bosses and the armors Mega Man X has. I'll think of some Tekken ones for Heihachi or Jin or something.

Storm Eagle: Purple Falco, Pilotwings, Gust Bellows, Strong Winds.
Spark Mandrill: Donkey Kong, Electric Floor, Frigate Orpheon/Wily Castle, Boosted Specials
Neon Tiger: Incineroar, DK64 stage, maybe with Killing Edge or Super Scope
Launch Octopus: Inkling with the Steel Diver, Floaty Jumps, Termina Bay
Magma Dragoon: Ryu/Ken or Ridley on Norfair.
Blizzard Wolfang: Blue Wolf on Ice Climber, Has a Freezie and the Ice floor.
Wire Sponge: Ivysaur who uses a ton of grabs. An invisible Pikachu spams Down+B when Ivysaur's low on health.
Rainy Turtloid: Giant Red Squirtle who you fight on Suzaku Castle.
Split Mushroom: Two Orange Mega Men on Wily's Castle, maybe they have Ramblin' Mushroom.
Armored Armadillo: Purple Sonic with Back Shield on Great Cave Offensive.
Infinity Mijinion: 4 Green Mega Men and only Ditto spawns from Pokeballs. Wily Castle.

Gold Armor Mega Man X: Gold boosted MMX with a Beam Saber, Central Highway.
Falcon Armor MMX: MMX with a rocket belt, again Central Highway.
Gaea Armor MMX: Super Armor and boosted specials. Central Highway.
Shadow Armor: MMX with Killing Edge and increased defense. Central Highway.
Nice to see more MMX fans around here. He's a character I'd really like to see, I'd probably prefer him to Megaman Classic

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just trying to appease all those Lyn fans.

None of you ****ing played Roy's game. Be honest.
I did.
In fact, that's where most of my hate comes from.

Goddammit, I have yet to see a guy give two ****s about Roy beyond his function.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I’m here to ruin Zinith Zinith ’s day.

The meme is canon. I’m sorry...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nice to see more MMX fans around here. He's a character I'd really like to see, I'd probably prefer him to Megaman Classic
MMX is probably my favorite game, and I like most entries in the series. I don't think I'd pick him over Classic Mega Man, since he's also my dude. But I'd be really happy if a 2nd Mega Man character was actually a 2nd Mega Man and not just Zero for the 9th time.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
MMX is probably my favorite game, and I like most entries in the series. I don't think I'd pick him over Classic Mega Man, since he's also my dude. But I'd be really happy if a 2nd Mega Man character was actually a 2nd Mega Man and not just Zero for the 9th time.
Next DLC character is going to be generic Serv-bot.
Not even Tron Bonne.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I mean, that's who the spirit battle picked. Mechakoopa could be a spiny, and there's a cloud themed cart. Abandon ship makes sense, I guess, but how would Cannonball be reconfigured, or what could replace it?
Lakitu needs a fishing rod, obviously.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

At least he's asking nicely.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I knew that ****er never paid his taxes

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, I'm starting a YT channel were Toad talks about Smash Bros. (Just as a joke, obviously.) And a Toad model is being worked on! It looks great so far!
Capture.PNG

Credit to Octavio Lee for making it for me.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

As canon as a Mario x Dragon Quest crossover can get

kylexv

Smash Master
Ah yes, this thread was quite the chaotic one. So chaotic that I ended up taking a small vacation from it until release. All in all, it was fun to speculate in this thread, from the initial period of speculating about a 45 second teaser to the bloodbath that would ensue from the Box (I was one of the first to post about it actually) and the wretched Grinch leak. And, in the end, we got a 76 character roster, all veterans back, and Ridley and K. Rool, which would have been insanity if you told this to someone ten months ago. Not to mention a certain plant and Phantom Thief of Hearts coming soon, along with 4 others.

Although I began to loathe the general toxicity of the thread after Kencineroar was officially revealed and the Grinch leak was confirmed a hoax (although I still hate this less than Stuart Little), I overall don't regret my time here. The chaos was honestly fun to watch at times.

Of course, I'll still linger around until the DLC is finished, but, until the next character reveal, see you guys on the other side and remember: Stuart Little's crimes against humanity shall never go uncovered.

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, this thread was quite the chaotic one. So chaotic that I ended up taking a small vacation from it until release. All in all, it was fun to speculate in this thread, from the initial period of speculating about a 45 second teaser to the bloodbath that would ensue from the Box (I was one of the first to post about it actually) and the wretched Grinch leak. And, in the end, we got a 76 character roster, all veterans back, and Ridley and K. Rool, which would have been insanity if you told this to someone ten months ago. Not to mention a certain plant and Phantom Thief of Hearts coming soon, along with 4 others.

Although I began to loathe the general toxicity of the thread after Kencineroar was officially revealed and the Grinch leak was confirmed a hoax (although I still hate this less than Stuart Little), I overall don't regret my time here. The chaos was honestly fun to watch at times.

Of course, I'll still linger around until the DLC is finished, but, until the next character reveal, see you guys on the other side and remember: Stuart Little's crimes against humanity shall never go uncovered.
**** stuart little, mother****ing little stupid-ass rat, little *****, ate my ****ing hot pocket, ****ed my wife, stupid dumbass rat

TheCJBrine

Pranked!

Yoshi Yoshi

(
Yoshi committed tax fraud.png
)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bruh if this thread doesn’t reach 10,000 I will specifically campaign for it to be nuked and wiped from the face of Smashboards.

Get hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom