• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I miss the days some Smash newcomers were meant to introduce new, overlooked series to the public. Nowadays people only want legacy characters and are forgetting about introducing new stuff. It's not a problem, but I liked being introduced to characters I never knew before.
Same can be said about old gems too. A lot of people missed out on games because they were too glued to the usual routine, and being afraid of "different" is a very human trait with Normies. I too miss the times where Smash would introduce us to characters we weren't already familiar with.

Hell, my cousins didn't know who Mega Man was until I told them about him. I grew up on Mega Man and they didn't. No one in my family outside of a handful even know the character. Some lack the scale of legacy that other characters do, and it's a shame.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Fighting type is 'Hero' type in Japan, and Dark type is 'Evil' (or 'villain') type. Incineroar is a heel wrestler, so he's an 'evil' type as far as his wrestling persona goes.
Hero Type is a myth actually, Fighting type is still called Fighting type in Japan and it has been that way ever since the games started in Kanto. Dark and Psychic (called Esper) are the only types that have had localization changes to their names.

So theoretically Incineroar could've been a Fighting type if they decided to go that route as the way it fights would be comparable to examples like the Machop line, but thankfully they played into the Heel persona.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright guys, with the evidence that Brave is shorter than Luigi, it seems they have a chibi-like artstyle. Yes, it could be Erdrick, but what if it was another character from a company known for making iconic RPGs? A company with a long and storied history with Nintendo? That's right folks, I present to you:

View attachment 186126

Town(Working Title)sperson!

Unique weapon, short looking, medium speed and weight. Plus he's probably pretty brave, since he's got to fight all those monsters. And he's promoting something coming out this year.
I know absolutely nothing about this character so I can't say if i'd be happy or not.

+10 points for thinking outside the box.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
if its ****ing brave fencer musashi then the dlc is dead on arrival

yall complain about literally who characters but that is a literally who character
Why? Look how HD this intro is..

But seriously, great game, great character

Edit: Here's a better one.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
To be completely honest with you, I don’t have the info of front of me to cite particular characters. I’m currently at a family dinner and had a chance to comment.

I don’t necessarily mean “old” characters, but characters that have made an impact in the gaming world. A substantial impact, culturally or historically.
you mean a character like jibanyan. threatening one of the most successful franchises in the world and taking over japan for several years isn't what i'd call a blip in a thirty/forty year old industry

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
I know absolutely nothing about this character so I can't say if i'd be happy or not.

+10 points for thinking outside the box.
Pretty sure no one does. I'm going off the 2 minutes of footage they gave to us. I just found the game's announcement funny so I was thinking of it

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But if it's indeed Erdrick's classic art style. Doesn't that damage that rumor of him having alt costumes of the Luminary and such. Because alt costumes are suppose to have the exact same proportions as the default character. Luminary from what I've seen in his design, is taller than Erdrick.
Have them all in the same chibi art style. Simple solution to a non-complicated issue.

On paper Pokemon Trainer is extremely powerful because of how adaptive and flexible they are and impressed a lot of top players back at E3. As a team they have few weaknesses, and it seems lime that's something Leffen values as the bottom right of that chart is fairly empty. It doesn't seem like a lot of players are flocking to them though, but that's probably in part due to their learning curve. Of course I'm a Charizard/Trainer loyalist so I'm definitely on the biased side. It's also worth mentioning that Leffen has been playing Pomemon Trainer himself and may also have some bias.
Thx for the clarifications on Pokemon Trainer, this makes more sense to me now.

What kind of match ups do you think Peach struggles with by the way?
I'm no expert but i think she may struggle a bit against projectile based characters (Snake and Link for example), still she's far from helpless but it just seems like there's an exploitable weakness there (imo). Maybe 'struggling' was a bad choice of word on my part tho, i just wanted to point out that she doesn't dominate in every match ups and that her strengths don't make her 'broken' (as Leffen seems to imply by putting her off the chart in his tier list).

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
There's a secret behind Brave Fencer Musashi creation...
One that would please a certain fanbase X)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Legacy characters left? Ryu Hayabusa for helping push story presentation in gaming, Resident Evil for horror and third person shooters, Dante for hack and slash, Dragon Quest for RPGs, Doomguy for pushing FPS to mainstream audiences, Master Chief for further pushing FPS games to what they are today along with online gaming as Microsoft pushed that **** to what we have today, Minecraft Steve for leaving a huge impact on gaming to the point everyone tried to put in crafting mechanics to copy it, Pheonix Wright for making visual novels exist outside Japan, perhaps Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins for more iconic NES games... Anything else?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Have them all in the same chibi art style. Simple solution to a non-complicated issue.
Problem is though is that Sakurai uses a 3rd party's most iconic design. Chibi Erdrick is his most iconic one. But Luminary's most well known design is the more realistic proportion style he uses which is far more prevalent in SE's marketing and public eye.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So... who would you consider to be the remaining legacy characters?

I'm just curious.
Ryu Hayabusa
Erdrick
DoomSlayer
Contra guy
Arthur (Ghouls n Goblin)
Cody (Final Fight)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Monster Hunter
Chris Redfield
Morrigan
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Gordon Freeman
Steve
Dovahkiin
Chell (Portal 2)
Left 4 Dead (2 specifically) guy
Scorpion
GTA guy
League of Legends guy

... Demi-fiend

These are all I can think of when people say "big legacy" and "impact on gaming"

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa
Erdrick
DoomSlayer
Contra guy
Arthur (Ghouls n Goblin)
Cody (Final Fight)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Monster Hunter
Chris Redfield
Morrigan
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Gordon Freeman
Steve
Dovahkiin
Chell (Portal 2)
Left 4 Dead (2 specifically)

... Demi-fiend

These are all I can think of when people say "big legacy" and "impact on gaming"
You forgot the best one: tetris block

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
With the Mii Costume DLCs coming soon, is there any character you guys want to see getting a Mii Costume? I personally want a Mii Gunner costume of the Masked Man from Mother 3 if he doesn't get in (which he'll probably not), or a Geno costume.

You forgot the best one: tetris block
A Tetris stage would be pretty cool.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
With the Mii Costume DLCs coming soon, is there any character you guys want to see getting a Mii Costume? I personally want a Mii Gunner costume of the Masked Man from Mother 3 if he doesn't get in (which he'll probably not), or a Geno costume.

I hope my theory of each mii costume pack contains 3rd party costumes corresponding to the 3rd party character's company is true. Because then it would bode well for another Namco and Capcom rep.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Legacy characters left? Ryu Hayabusa for helping push story presentation in gaming, Resident Evil for horror and third person shooters, Dante for hack and slash, Dragon Quest for RPGs, Doomguy for pushing FPS to mainstream audiences, Master Chief for further pushing FPS games to what they are today along with online gaming as Microsoft pushed that **** to what we have today, Minecraft Steve for leaving a huge impact on gaming to the point everyone tried to put in crafting mechanics to copy it, Pheonix Wright for making visual novels exist outside Japan, perhaps Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins for more iconic NES games... Anything else?
Ah right, Lara Croft for 3D adventure games and Mortal Kombat for making age ratings exist

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
Hey! It's been a while. It's been a rough holiday break for us over here medically, but a lot of Smash has taken place in the home.

As for mains right now... I went into this game thinking I'd main Richter for the most part. I'm a huge Castlevania fan after all, but the more time passes, I play him less and less. I played K. Rool for a while but found him to be just...to little of a challenge. I wanted to start maining the FE cast since I've never been a big fan of them in Smash. Love FE but never gravitated toward them in Smash. BUT I realized I'm pretty good at Robin, Roy and Chrom. Even Corrin since I never purchased their DLC pack back in Smash 4. All in all, I've been maining Roy, Pichu and Robin for the most part. Love them to death. Pichu is freakin' tight, btw. Loved him in Melee but he was just not that good in melee. Anywho, enough rambling.

Love this game, but Spirits Mode gets super tedious after beating the first leg of it... Idk, it just gets more boring as time passes. I've put in 110+ hours into this game with my family and it's almost exclusively been couch versus, Classic and online versus with fam and friends who live in other states. It's an amazing game with quick-snappy fighting mechanics, fun hours upon hours of multiplayer, but very lackluster story mode. Subspace and Adventure Mode this is not. Also, where's my break the targets? Home run contest?? Ugh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
you mean a character like jibanyan. threatening one of the most successful franchises in the world and taking over japan for several years isn't what i'd call a blip in a thirty/forty year old industry
I mean...it hardly made an impact in the US as far as I know, and even then I don’t thats necessarily historic considering how fast it fell off.

We’ll have to agree to disagree there. It can’t actually threaten Pokémon if it doesn’t take over other regions as well. To be completely honest, to the video game industry as a whole, I would call that potentially, maybe, a little more than a blip. Maybe more than a blip in Japan, but again, it didn’t catch on anywhere else.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Ryu Hayabusa
Erdrick
DoomSlayer
Contra guy
Arthur (Ghouls n Goblin)
Cody (Final Fight)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Monster Hunter
Leon S. Kennedy/Jill Valentine
Morrigan
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Gordon Freeman
Steve
Dovahkiin
Chell (Portal 2)
Left 4 Dead (2 specifically) guy
Scorpion
GTA guy
League of Legends guy

... Demi-fiend

Fixed that for ya.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'd absolutely love Kingdom Hearts content in Smash, but Dragon Quest has existed for much longer and is more popular in Japan, so...
I've accepted that we won't be getting that and that the Erdrick thing might be true.

----

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 186120
Not really. Sans is still in though.
I mean, nothing wrong with the classics, but this essentially means no unique alts whatsoever. If it was the version with the adult proportions, we could have had the female version or the other heroes. Talk about a missed opportunity...

Either that or it's a different character altogether. Might not even be from Dragon Quest or Bravely Default, but their run speed and weight class is a bit weird if they're Toon Link sized.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the "brave" thing was totally unrelated to the character it was tied to, just as a misdirect.
Though I doubt Nintendo is trying that hard to mislead us.
f39ec7c895cd249e5b2466f477c899e3.png

Guys I figured it out.
They would be shorter than Luigi, be relatively average speed with a high fall speed, and not have a rapid jab.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, if there's one "darkhorse" franchise I see, it's Dungeon Fighter Online.
Yall probably don't know what it is, so I'll just leave it at "F2P MMO with Beat-em-up combat"

I don't mean it lightly when I say it's one of, if not the world's biggest money-making game of the 21st century.
It's already made over $10 billion, and earns $1.6 billion every year. And that's sales, 8 months ago.

They've made so much dosh in fact that they've started an entirely new project which turns is just DFO with hack n slash gameplay instead.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Assuming Rhythm Heaven's basically all but out for the count for DLC, it'd be nice to have a Mii costume of one of the characters...
Jeez, I miss the most important conversations...

What's this about Samus and dinosaurs?
Oh yeah... I forgot we talked about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom