• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Trust me or not, I've met people that hate the top down style Zelda games. Thank god I never saw them again.
Well that's a different statement altogether. Sometimes a style of game doesn't appeal to someone. That's fine.

But I've never heard of someone liking the 2D Zelda style and not liking the Oracle games. Until A Link Between Worlds came out, they were my favorite ones.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Feelsbadman.

No hot DQ11 Erdrick.
I mean, nothing wrong with the classics, but this essentially means no unique alts whatsoever. If it was the version with the adult proportions, we could have had the female version or the other heroes. Talk about a missed opportunity...

Either that or it's a different character altogether. Might not even be from Dragon Quest or Bravely Default, but their run speed and weight class is a bit weird if they're Toon Link sized.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Ignoring the shipping conversation: Any bold predictions on Piranha Plant release date?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I know it's the same designer, but damn that's literally just Gohan with a headband (wait is it just Gohan with a headband?)
May as well be, but I find it hilariously endearing. We could have reached peak memehood with DBS Spanish memes crossing over.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I mean, nothing wrong with the classics, but this essentially means no unique alts whatsoever. If it was the version with the adult proportions, we could have had the female version or the other heroes. Talk about a missed opportunity...

Either that or it's a different character altogether. Might not even be from Dragon Quest or Bravely Default, but their run speed and weight class is a bit weird if they're Toon Link sized.
What is their weight and run speed again? Also, where is the info stating that he's shorter than Luigi? I couldn't find it.

Ignoring the shipping conversation: Any bold predictions on Piranha Plant release date?
February 1st or 3rd, I guess.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know it's the same designer, but damn that's literally just Gohan with a headband (wait is it just Gohan with a headband?)
Yes.
That's literally a Gohan edit.

Of course, the fact that it's not that easy to tell speaks to Toriyama's admittedly linear art style.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Feb. 1st.

It's a Friday, nothing else from Nintendo releases that day, cut-off for registering your game is Jan. 31st.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Personally, I'm hoping for a Bravely character. If that really happens, I'm legally barred from complaining about this game's DLC, because that would unbelievable and amazing all at once.

On that note, wouldn't it be hilarious if the "brave" thing was totally unrelated to the character it was tied to, just as a misdirect.
Though I doubt Nintendo is trying that hard to mislead us.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
What is their weight and run speed again? Also, where is the info stating that he's shorter than Luigi? I couldn't find it.

February 1st or 3rd, I guess.
Wasn't it a page or 2 back in this very thread? Their weight and run speed were supposed to be average, I think. I can't remember.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; off-topic spam
*Yawn*
wait! what a weird rule. My post has to be at least 10 characters long!
LengthyPost would do it then.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
On that note, wouldn't it be hilarious if the "brave" thing was totally unrelated to the character it was tied to, just as a misdirect.
Though I doubt Nintendo is trying that hard to mislead us.
A cowardly character? Ravio from ALBW? He's short-ish, has average weight and running away is one of his main features.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait. "Brave" has small character physics? Phil Spencer met with Nintendo at E3?

Guys. It's been under our noses all along.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I believe that's a measure used to limit spam...
What spam can mingle in less than 10C. That spam should be awarded a post XD

Bohohohohooring ...._(L '-')-=: Help!

Edit: Hey! Brave has small figure. Then it's as I predicted. It's Brave Fencer Musashi.. they were celebrating his somthing th last year

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
A cowardly character? Ravio from ALBW? He's short-ish, has average weight and running away is one of his main features.
I wouldn't complain, lol. Zelda finally gets a unique newcomer, and he's got the best outfit to boot.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think all of the DLC characters have stats that are subject to change before release. Were Lucas, Roy, and Ryu's stats ever published before their official availability? Did the stats match post-release? I feel those are important questions for Pakkun, Jack, and Brave.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
TBH I think we all over think it.

Nintendo chooses characters they believe will be popular, and that of course includes recent characters. Characters more prominent in recent memory are more likely to garner a positive reaction from the market as a whole, rather than just a respective game's fanbase.

A lot of the points you raised are honestly pretty subjective. Characters needing a "legacy" to be considered feels like a typical fan limitation put on this game's speculation for very arbitrary reasons. Honestly, I still consider anyone viable as long as Nintendo wants to make it happen. We as fans like moving the goal posts after every reveal, when in all truth we are very rarely right about how the selection process actually goes.
It’s not that they need a legacy to be considered. I simply based that on the fact that save for Bayonetta, every character from another company still has a sort of gaming legacy behind them. That’s not even speculation, that’s fact.

Now, it doesn’t mean that further 3rd parties NEED a legacy to get in. But I think there are choices that are leagues better than some that get considered “likely” over others.

Frankly the biggest 3rd parties that this site speculated on well...weren’t really Simon Belmont. They were Jibanyan, Layton, and a select other few prior to the E3 reveal. Those are character that I feel don’t really compare to what we have already. Could they get in? Sure. Do I expect them to? Not really.

That’s my point. There’s a huge difference between gaming icons and games that are niche in comparison. There’s a chance we could drift away from “legacy” icons, considering i’d say in regards to that Bayo and Joker are the biggest offenders. But I think there’s a larger leap between Sonic and Shovel Knight than we think.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Joker's not as niche as you think. He has ties to one of the oldest role-playing video games in history, and his spin-off expanded on the relationship between the summon and the summoner. Everyone has their preferences whether you're a Persona fan or a classic MegaTen fan, but there's no denying that the former does characterization and world-building properly.

There is a unique identity to Joker and Persona as a whole that makes his inclusion that much more exciting and praise-worthy in Smash. If we only went purely on legacy, success, and recognizability with the entirety of the world populace, we wouldn't have the roster Ultimate has now. Normies have Mario and Pikachu already. That should be enough to entice them.
Joker isn’t one of the choices i’m speaking to. I think he’s a great pick! Persona and SMT might be less of a well known series in the US, but P5 did excellently commercially worldwide, and it’s been around a looong time.

D-d-d double post. Combine plz!

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It’s not that they need a legacy to be considered. I simply based that on the fact that save for Bayonetta, every character from another company still has a sort of gaming legacy behind them. That’s not even speculation, that’s fact.

Now, it doesn’t mean that further 3rd parties NEED a legacy to get in. But I think there are choices that are leagues better than some that get considered “likely” over others.

Frankly the biggest 3rd parties that this site speculated on well...weren’t really Simon Belmont. They were Jibanyan, Layton, and a select other few prior to the E3 reveal. Those are character that I feel don’t really compare to what we have already. Could they get in? Sure. Do I expect them to? Not really.

That’s my point. There’s a huge difference between gaming icons and games that are niche in comparison. There’s a chance we could drift away from “legacy” icons, considering i’d say in regards to that Bayo and Joker are the biggest offenders. But I think there’s a larger leap between Sonic and Shovel Knight than we think.
So... who would you consider to be the remaining legacy characters?

I'm just curious.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I miss the days some Smash newcomers were meant to introduce new, overlooked series to the public. Nowadays people only want legacy characters and are forgetting about introducing new stuff. It's not a problem, but I liked being introduced to characters I never knew before.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
if its ****ing brave fencer musashi then the dlc is dead on arrival

yall complain about literally who characters but that is a literally who character

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, with the evidence that Brave is shorter than Luigi, it seems they have a chibi-like artstyle. Yes, it could be Erdrick, but what if it was another character from a company known for making iconic RPGs? A company with a long and storied history with Nintendo? That's right folks, I present to you:

vlcsnap_01577.0.jpg

Town(Working Title)sperson!

Unique weapon, short looking, medium speed and weight. Plus he's probably pretty brave, since he's got to fight all those monsters. And he's promoting something coming out this year.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
if its ****ing brave fencer musashi then the dlc is dead on arrival

yall complain about literally who characters but that is a literally who character
This character is such a literal who, that even though I know the character I forgot about him until you mentioned it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So... who would you consider to be the remaining legacy characters?

I'm just curious.
To be completely honest with you, I don’t have the info of front of me to cite particular characters. I’m currently at a family dinner and had a chance to comment.

I don’t necessarily mean “old” characters, but characters that have made an impact in the gaming world. A substantial impact, culturally or historically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom