• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
because chrom came back and kicked his *** after that 2014 trailer
here's the thing tho

captain falcon IS smash bros. he is entirely made by smash bros and is so interlocked with the series that not including him would legitimately be worse than waluigi not being in mario kart 7

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
here's the thing tho

captain falcon IS smash bros. he is entirely made by smash bros and is so interlocked with the series that not including him would legitimately be worse than waluigi not being in mario kart 7
thats because f-zero is coming back BABYYYY

D

Deleted member

If a smash game that culls the roster does happen, I think Captain Falcon would stay just because memes and how iconic he is to smash bros.

Also a new F-Zero game is NEVER happening unless Imamura gets more freedom and input.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also a new F-Zero game is NEVER happening unless Imamura gets more freedom and input.
The obvious solution is to make a mockup Kickstarter to make a totally not F-Zero type of game to indirectly **** on Nintendo.

Curse of Moon is doing it at Konami as we speak.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The obvious solution is to make a mockup Kickstarter to make a totally not F-Zero type of game to indirectly **** on Nintendo.

Curse of Moon is doing it at Konami as we speak.
inb4 the actual Bloodstained game pulls a Mighty Number 9

Bionichute

Smash Champion
what we NEED to do is to make a decent looking f zero fan project so nintendo can take it down and show that they're working on something

that's what they do every time

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
what we NEED to do is to make a decent looking f zero fan project so nintendo can take it down and show that they're working on something

the **** were they doing when pokemon uranium got hit?

D

Deleted member

We did this same "they gonna cut half the roster!!!" for months after the initial Ultimate trailer lol. One day we'll learn.
To be fair, I feel people are a bit more justified thinking this for the next game. Still though, who knows what will happen.
Every speculation cycle people go mad with cuts, it’s an inevitability.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

There was a Wii U eShop title. Not sure how well that sold though.

Also I feel like an alien being someone who knew who Falcon was prior to Smash 64, but not Link and Samus.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
like i think they were making sun and moon?
ok but like that's kind of different

AM2R was hit because of an actual AM2R on the 3DS. Pokemon Uranium is just any other of the miscellaneous Pokemon ROM Hacks forced to shut down.

Ginsai

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8248-1982-9689
There was a Wii U eShop title. Not sure how well that sold though.

Also I feel like an alien being someone who knew who Falcon was prior to Smash 64, but not Link and Samus.
Finding out Samus was a girl was a shock for someone who didn’t know her character and played Halo prior to knowing this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ya see guys this is why it'd be wise to end the series with this game. How much more better can you get especially with cuts being done with not as big of a roster?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wonder where Zinith Zinith was during the OH MY GOD THEY'RE CUTTING YOSHI FROM 4 fiasco.
Paging Zinith Zinith for a reaction.
All this talk about cuts, but I think we can agree on one thing.

Piranha Plant is eternal. It will never be cut.
It's a plant. I'd hope it'd get cut. Those things can become absolutely unruly when not taken proper care of.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ya see guys this is why it'd be wise to end the series with this game. How much more better can you get especially with cuts being done with not as big of a roster?
By having a longer development time?

1517708762017.jpg

Brawl still has the longest development time total, not Ultimate. It's definitely doable.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My only thing, again, with the reboot talk is that any roster that cuts a majority of what Ultimate has will instantly be inferior and the quality would likely drop.

Don’t get me wrong, having Spring Man and a future Xenoblade character as newcomers would be cool, but you lose out on gaming icons, Nintendo all-stars (practically any Nintendo character that historically stands out is there...sorry but I don’t see BWD that way) and just great gameplay to boot.

Sakurai even said changing the gameplay wouldn’t be “Smash” anymore. It would be similar but probably wouldn’t do much to take down Ultimate in any sort of capacity.

Granted, even if there is another Smash it probably won’t be for many, many years. Ultimate happened so close to 4 because of perfect circumstances. It has what is in my opinion as close to perfect roster as possible, the most stages, the most music...

Is it really going to be exciting when, “WOAH, DLC FOR SMASH 7 IS ROSALINA!?”

Like come on. Ultimate already has that. This game is built for a long lifespan, absolutely.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Like come on. Ultimate already has that. This game is built for a long lifespan, absolutely.
I'd argue Melee did a better job at that, honestly. It's been years and I still have achievements I haven't unlocked. And I've been playing that copy since like, 2006.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My only thing, again, with the reboot talk is that any roster that cuts a majority of what Ultimate has will instantly be inferior and the quality would likely drop.

Don’t get me wrong, having Spring Man and a future Xenoblade character as newcomers would be cool, but you lose out on gaming icons, Nintendo all-stars (practically any Nintendo character that historically stands out is there...sorry but I don’t see BWD that way) and just great gameplay to boot.

Sakurai even said changing the gameplay wouldn’t be “Smash” anymore. It would be similar but probably wouldn’t do much to take down Ultimate in any sort of capacity.

Granted, even if there is another Smash it probably won’t be for many, many years. Ultimate happened so close to 4 because of perfect circumstances. It has what is in my opinion as close to perfect roster as possible, the most stages, the most music...

That's why I think they should just keep porting Ultimate and adding a handful of characters and echoes each generation.

To take the series in a new direction, Nintendo should try their hand at a serious fighting game. Do something like a Nintendo vs. Capcom or an all Nintendo version titled "Nintendo All-Star Fight" or something and go all in on it.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

this is why i refuse to believe they're only going to do one season of dlc. there is nowhere to go and anything after isn't going to satisfy. if we really aren't getting another nintendo console for the next 8 years, then it would be insane not to support their actual most popular game on the console for at least a few years.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Nah.

You see, even when another Smash comes out with a fraction of the roster, it'll still be Smash. It'll still be amazing. Heck, it might be really amazing! They might try and do something really special to make up for the lack of characters. And also, Ultimate will always be there. Whenever I have a hankering for a game with 80+ characters I can just turn on my Switch.

So yeah, I want this series to keep going. I wanna see what the future of Smash holds. But we don't gotta worry about that right now, Ultimate just came out.
We can seriously think about this in ten years.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Cutting half the roster doesn't fly in fighting games who have originally created characters that don't exist outside of that series. It wouldn't stand a chance in Smash - even if they overhauled the mechanics and/or engine as a compromise.

To the majority Smash is a character game.

Sakurai and his team put themselves in a bit of a bind. If they don't port it over they'll most likely have to cut but it won't be 37 characters like most people expect it to be.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's why I think they should just keep porting Ultimate and adding a handful of characters and echoes each generation.

To take the series in a new direction, Nintendo should try their hand at a serious fighting game. Do something like a Nintendo vs. Capcom or an all Nintendo version titled "Nintendo All-Star Fight" or something and go all in on it.
I want a Street Fighter where different styles of combat are literally different styles.

Kinda like HW, say one style has Link use the Master Sword, and then the other has him use the ****ing Wrecking Ball from Twilight Princess or something.

D

Deleted member

I mean, a smash game is more than a roster. While I can’t deny that’s a huge aspect of it, if you take a look at Ultimate, it’s pretty lacking in terms of modes. You’ve got classic, multi-man Melee, Spirits, and World of Light, a fairly big step down form prior games, especially when you consider that WoL was literally said to be made as an easy low-budget adventure mode. This presumably had to be done due to the huge roster. A reboot could pretty much go the opposite route, having a ton of substantial modes at the cost of characters. Plus who says the gameplay needs to be drastically changed? It needs some tweaking sure, but the core is solid, it’s still smash. If anything, moveset are what need an overhaul.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Man I always forget just how ugly Wendy koopa is. All of the other Koopalings look silly and fun but Wendy is just ugh. I guess Ludwig is kind a little ugly to but his hair isn't as bad as his dang list. Anyway Koopaling tier list goes...

SS - :squirtle:
S - :4feroy:
A - :4larry:
B -:4morton::4lemmy:
C -:4iggy::4ludwig:
D -
E -
F -:4wendy:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking Ultimate should be ported but with new modes added on top like bringing back stage builder and things like that.

And with so many stages already, they could finally bring back break the targets.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm thinking Ultimate should be ported but with new modes added on top like bringing back stage builder and things like that.

And with so many stages already, they could finally bring back break the targets.
Still waiting for that glorious F-Zero X Mute City to shine again.
(shame it will never happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom