• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If you’re gonna really cut down the third-parties, honestly I’d keep Sonic, Megaman and Pacman only. If another one, then one of the Konami characters we have now.

Last edited by a moderator:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly Villager being replaced by Isabelle isn't that out of the question. The way I see it isn't she basically seen as the mascot of Animal Crossing nowadays?

I also couldn't see Lucario being cut tbh.
She pretty much IS AC these days. She is in basically everything and always in the forefront of it, has multiple amiibo to her name with another coming, is at the front of their social media, etc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd say Lucario at the very least. He tends to stay very popular. Greninja has retained a fair bit of popularity as well.
Honestly Villager being replaced by Isabelle isn't that out of the question. The way I see it isn't she basically seen as the mascot of Animal Crossing nowadays?

I also couldn't see Lucario being cut tbh.
Remember Lucario being revealed for Smash 4 though? Those were times of anarchy.

WH-WHERE'S MEWTWO SAKURAI?!?!?
UuUUuuUUuuGH, THE FURRIES WIN AGAIN

i dont know man lucario's kinda alrig-
GO YIFF SOMEWHERE ELSE WITH FURRY GOKU, EVERYONE WANTS MEWTWO

Pakky

Smash Hero
Remember Lucario being revealed for Smash 4 though? Those were times of anarchy.

I did want Mewtwo though...

D

Deleted member

If we're talking 3rd party cuts, whoever needs to go to keep as many Nintendo characters possible goes. Ideally I'd prefer most of them to stay, but TBH they aren't the reason I play Smash.

So yeah, not at all a popular opinion, but I'd cut all the third parties if I had to to keep certain Nintendo characters in. However, since I don't believe you'd need to do something that drastic, I'd personally keep these: :ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsnake:(Joker)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So besides my boi.

Other characters I honestly found really fun to play as were :ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultsimon:

Out of the bunch I found Inkling to be the funnest.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja are super popular. Whether the latter maintains that way with the passing of time remains to be seen but the first two are monumental characters for the series.

Squirtle is arguable. He's one of the most recognizable Pokemon out there and a very popular starter Pokemon.

Jigglypuff is a bit outdated but she's still a recognizable 'mon for more people than not.

Pichu and Ivysaur are extra fat but eh. I don't think Incineroar will reach the heights of being super popular either.
Incineroar isn't super popular even two years after his debut. He was my starter in Moon, so I don't harbor any malice against him like some people do, but it's obvious he was never majorly popular. Not as unpopular as Primarina, but definitely not as popular as Decidueye or some other Gen VII Pokemon.

Though Ultimate might give him some more spotlight, since his unique characteristics of being a wrestler Pokemon didn't really shine in his home games. The display of personality afforded by Smash might make him more popular in time.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Incineroar isn't super popular even two years after his debut. He was my starter in Moon, so I don't harbor any malice against him like some people do, but it's obvious he was never majorly popular. Not as unpopular as Primarina, but definitely not as popular as Decidueye or some other Gen VII Pokemon.

Though Ultimate might give him some more spotlight, since his unique characteristics of being a wrestler Pokemon didn't really shine in his home games. The display of personality afforded by Smash might make him more popular in time.
Decidueye popular? I mean there's Pokken, but like is there anything else?

D

Deleted member

Who would be the most controversial fighter to be brought into Smash in your opinion?

My pick? BJ Blazckowitchz. You all know why.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People were focused on Decidueye being the newcomer prior to Verg saying it's not. Rowlet was an instant hit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Was never really angry at Lucario but the Aura/Rage thing is not even in Pokemon
Well, not in the games. Aura is very much a thing in the movie he debuted. And a huge focus of his character. Though Smash made it different from what it really was, which was more sensing lifeforce and was able to be output into energy moves. I feel it did a good job of being unique.

Pakky

Smash Hero
People were focused on Decidueye being the newcomer prior to Verg saying it's not. Rowlet was an instant hit.
Pretty much because people were poorly researched there were a few people who were considering big tiger man before vegetable soup mentioned him.

Also yes everyone loves baby owl.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Isn’t he the most popular starter in the west, but the least popular in the east?

Personally, I used him as my starter. Although I also hated the game and never finished so I guess that doesn’t mean much.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

The Smash bubble can be strong and kind of rancid sometimes. lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If you’re gonna really cut down the third-parties, honestly I’d keep Sonic, Megaman and Pacman only. If another one, then one of the Konami characters we have now.
Bayo would have to stay aswell, since compared to the other 3rd parties you didn’t name, she’s practically a Nintendo character (and overall the only ones who can truly be claimed as such a thing are :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultbayonetta:, with :ultpacman::ultryu::ultken: being for everyone and :ultsnake::ultrichter: being moreso of the outsiders)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pretty much because people were poorly researched there were a few people who were considering big tiger man before vegetable soup mentioned him.

Also yes everyone loves baby owl.
You asked if Decidueye was popular. "Research" means jack **** there. Decidueye is popular.

D

Deleted member

Here’s what I’d do for the Pokemon roster if we want to cut it down.
Obviously Pikachu stays, being the mascot.
I’d keep Mewtwo as well, as he’s a rather iconic and well-known character, provides a pretty unique moveset, and serves as pretty much the ‘final boss’ of Pokemon. I’d cut Charizard/Pokemon Trainer, as while Charizard is more popular/iconic than Mewtwo, I think Mewtwo has a more distinct ‘purpose’ if you get me. Essentially, Mewtwo always had a mystique as being the mysterious secret overpowered Pokemon you got at the very end, which I think would appeal to the audience more than Charizard would.
Then for the last two, Lucario and Greninja, as they represent the modern games, and have shown themselves to have immediate and sustained popularity. Incineroar, as good as his moveset is, ultimately hasnt had enough time to prove his popularity, and for what time he has had, he hasn’t shown the immediate success the prior two have.
Alternatively, cut either Lucario or Greninja and add in Charizard if you must.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
35 imo is too few, so i tried this but bumped it up to a much more even 40 characters. its still super gross

things 2 consider:
1. im considering this a "base point" for veterans, in a theoretical game where this roster exists, there would be newcomers alongside all of them but im not funny valentine so i can't include them
2. similar to the above, clones, as stated by sakurai, are basically extra characters, so you could potential add more clones in
3. it was a legitimate toss up between incineroar and lucario but i picked lucario because he's more of a mascot even though i hate him. i cut so many pokemon because imo pokemon shouldn't have more than mario, and most of the mario characters are honestly very superfluous
4. yeah sheik falco and a few other iconic characters are gone but what do you expect me to do with limited space?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Do we really think that the next Smash game is going to cut half the cast rather than just be a semi port with everyone back, plus another handful of unique and echo character? And obviously new and improved modes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do we really think that the next Smash game is going to cut half the cast rather than just be a semi port with everyone back, plus another handful of unique and echo character? And obviously new and improved modes.
People are upset that their obsession with cuts didn't mean anything for this game.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i assumed we were just doing this for fun

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That really wouldn't be easy to do still, as they would have to get the rights to use every character again
Sakurai did say that was a tough hurdle that they had to deal with during Ultimate's development

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well yeah everything on a forum (should be) is for fun. But I was wondering about the general consensus
TBH while I do enjoy these "what if" discussions, I'm not even really thinking about the next Smash too much right now. I'm just enjoying Ultimate right now, not even really concerned with what the series does next.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I mean let's be fair do we really need anyone else that isn't :ultpokemontrainer::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo: when it comes down the bare essentials? actually you're right we need ****ing buzzwole
I propose we axe all of the Pokemon and leave only the Trainer, referencing the male and female protagonists from the original four regions (as cool as it'd be to have Hilbert and Hilda). In doing so, we have 8 alternate costumes, as well as a full team of Pokemon spanning across all generations. Actually, maybe that idea sounds better on paper...

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That really wouldn't be easy to do still, as they would have to get the rights to use every character again
Sakurai did say that was something tough that they had to deal with during Ultimate's development
True. 3rd Parties may be more difficult and could get cut. I wonder who was difficult though. Capcom and Konami both seem very willing. And I can’t see Sega or Platinum or Namco being a problem.

I wonder if it was just SE who was holding out.

D

Deleted member

After Smash 4, I saw the next game going in either two ways:
A)Some sort of grand celebration of the series bringing everyone back (which is what we got)
B)A reboot that revamps the gameplay and cuts a bunch of characters.
Considering we got the former, I think the next game not only will likely do the latter, but SHOULD do the latter.

I simply don’t think constantly porting over the game with new characters is an effective strategy (although obviously it would still make bank). Think of it this way:the reason everyone is here was such an exciting reveal was because nobody thought they could bring back everybody. Every fighting game cuts characters. However, you can only pull of a gambit like this so many times. Once seems like a good estimate. If you just keep porting the game over, I think the appeal of smash as this really climatic game and event would slowly start to wear off. A reboot on the other hand, would provide an avenue for completely new concepts and ideas to flourish, and would manage to retain the excitement of smash in my eyes, with each game doing something different to set it apart. It could allow old ideas to be re-examined and re-imagined to remain FRESH and interesting. That’s not say I would dislike a port with new modes, I’d gladly take it. But I don’t think a reboot is a bad idea.

Obviously I can only really speak for myself here though.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
TBH while I do enjoy these "what if" discussions, I'm not even really thinking about the next Smash too much right now. I'm just enjoying Ultimate right now, not even really concerned with what the series does next.
Enjoying the current Smash rather than worrying about DLC or the next game?

You madman.

Pakky

Smash Hero
We could axe all the FEs so can have a glut of DK characters EVERY ANIMAL BUDDY IS HERE!!!!

Man I sure hope that Rare Ware Spirit stuff holds up to become something great.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Might as well just have 6 Pokemon characters.
I was being kinda jokey about my comment, because even though Pokémon Trainer takes up "one" slot, each Pokemon has their own moveset anyway. Plus, that's 6 move-sets you'd need to learn , lmao

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Enjoying the current Smash rather than worrying about DLC or the next game?

You madman.
I got super lucky and got a lot of what I wanted right off the bat, lol.

TBH while there are a few more things I want out of this game, I sometimes feel bad asking for more when I already have like 90% of what I want. Makes me feel greedy. So yeah, I'm good with whatever happens from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom