• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'd honestly say skip SM and go for the Ultra versions. They basically upgrade on the last game anyways and the story only changes considerably in the last 25% of the game.

Unless there's something I'm forgetting I don't think there's anything that SM does better over USUM besides a certain character's plot path.
I'd argue that certain character's plot point is one of the best parts of Sun and Moon, and why you should go for those first.

If you're here for story, go with Sun and Moon. If you're here for gameplay, go with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
How good is Pokemon Go even? I mean, I enjoyed Red, Yellow and FireRed a ton, to be honest, those with Gold are probably my favorite games. But is it a total new remake? I never was very familiar with Pokemon Go anyway. Is it somewhat challenging? Or just the same thing all over?
I found the Let's Go games an enjoyable experience. If you like the Kanto games this game is pretty much a trip down memory lane. Yeah the game is easy since Pikachu/Eevee plus Nidoking can handle most of the game's content but in my opinion all main Pokémon story campaigns are too easy. The most difficult parts to I would say are a certain battle in Silph Co. and Saffron Gym can be kind of tough if you don't take them out fast enough or don't have an Alolan Dark type mon.

I would recommend trying it out if you just want a calm and chill Pokémon adventure experience. I wouldn't pay sixty dollars for Let's Go though. The lack of anything to do in postgame besides shiny hunting doesn't justify the price tag. Maybe wait and hope it drop down to forty or even fifty dollars (I managed to get the game for fifty dollars but that was because I pre-ordered it on Amazon before August).

On the topic of Pokemon, what do y'all think is a good game to start with? I'm wanting to get into the series.
If you have a 3DS then either X/Y or Omegaruby/Alpahsapphire are good places to start.

If you are into emulation then Firered/Leafgreen, Emerald or Heartgold/Soulsilver are all solid games.

D

Deleted member

HGSS, BW and B2W2 are what I consider to be the best Pokemon games in terms of main campaign. I love SM but it's too story driven for replays and USUM is an upgrade gameplay wise but a downgrade story wise.
HGSS has a bad level curve but it's just so fun and has tons of content. It's also one of the most challenging games though even if that's because it's unfair sometimes.
BW and B2W2 are the perfect balance between gameplay and story, cutscenes are all text based so they go on pretty quickly and the level curves are great while still managing to keep the game challenging for the most part. Also, the OST, god the OST

D

Deleted member

Honestly I think Pokemon has been going downhill as a whole starting with XY. HG/SS, Platinum, and gen 5 are the best games imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Is it good that i played all of these except the Gen 7 games?
I've played...

G1: Red, Yellow
G2: Gold, Crystal
G3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red
G4: Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold
G5: White, Black, White 2, Black 2
G6: Y, X, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
G7: Sun, Ultra Sun

They're in no particular order (I played Sapphire last out of the Gen 3 games, for example).
Sun and Moon are great, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are decent but unnecessary, Let's Go is alright.

Buy Sun and Moon, you can skip the others if you want.
I'd consider LGPE to be more of a Gen 7.5, to be honest.

As far as I know, you can't connect LGPE with the other Gen VII games, which I consider to be the key point of each Generation. Obviously, unless I'm mistaken and you can connect Sun/Moon/USUM with LGPE.
depends on what you want your pokemon to be. if you want a decent story, go for black/white or sun/moon. if you want pure content, go for heartgold/soulsilver

if you actually want any difficulty and fun gameplay, like, legitimately just go for yokai watch or the digimon cyber sleuth games. pure gameplay wise, pokemon is honestly one of the worst of the mons genre
*cracks knuckles*

If you're going to play the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, it's better to play both, starting with the first; Hacker's Memory takes place concurrently with the first and kind of relies on you knowing what's going on (you also get benefits from transferring data).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I was looking through the spirit list, and I noticed that Micaiah is Spirit #666, and that made me curious as to which spirit is #888.

It's Woodman.

I guess I'm doomed to live in Meme Hell for all eternity now.

Also, happy new year.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I was looking through the spirit list, and I noticed that Micaiah is Spirit #666, and that made me curious as to which spirit is #888.

It's Woodman.

I guess I'm doomed to live in Meme Hell for all eternity now.

Also, happy new year.
nice >:]

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'd argue that certain character's plot point is one of the best parts of Sun and Moon, and why you should go for those first.

If you're here for story, go with Sun and Moon. If you're here for gameplay, go with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
I agree with this. Never really got attached to the SM plot so it didn't matter as much to me, but goddamn did they make that one character worse.

HGSS, BW and B2W2 are what I consider to be the best Pokemon games in terms of main campaign. I love SM but it's too story driven for replays and USUM is an upgrade gameplay wise but a downgrade story wise.
HGSS has a bad level curve but it's just so fun and has tons of content. It's also one of the most challenging games though even if that's because it's unfair sometimes.
BW and B2W2 are the perfect balance between gameplay and story, cutscenes are all text based so they go on pretty quickly and the level curves are great while still managing to keep the game challenging for the most part. Also, the OST, god the OST
I honestly think HGSS has some really good story points that often get glossed over (everything with Silver is great, ESPECIALLY the Celebi event later on) but yeah BW beats it easily storywise. I personally hated gameplay in base BW though, I feel like B2W2 is where they got that balance of great story and gameplay down pat, and yes the OST is great. Colress is a real interesting character too, I think I got more attached to him than N.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wasn’t Nidoran good against Brock’s team and available to catch before his battle in Pokémon Yellow?

Besides that, i agree that Let’s Go seems too easy.
I recall that was Mankey? Or that was the case at least in FireRed. Low Kick > everything Brock could ever throw in each Generation. :056:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
yokai watch 3 apparently has a stupidly large amount of content, especially the western version that seems to have all the additional content from the updated versions of the game in it. so if you want a mons game that will take you forever to beat, there you go

Guys.

All of the Smash Youtubers are posting Wendy Koopa videos.

Please send help.
i don't see a problem here

KMDP

Smash Legend
I agree with this. Never really got attached to the SM plot so it didn't matter as much to me, but goddamn did they make that one character worse.

I honestly think HGSS has some really good story points that often get glossed over (everything with Silver is great, ESPECIALLY the Celebi event later on) but yeah BW beats it easily storywise. I personally hated gameplay in base BW though, I feel like B2W2 is where they got that balance of great story and gameplay down pat, and yes the OST is great. Colress is a real interesting character too, I think I got more attached to him than N.
White 2 is the only Pokémon game I've successfully gotten all Pokémon in (well, almost all, there were some Mythicals I was missing).
SM were probably some of the best games in the series. They were literally the only games in years to change the formula at all
Changing the formula doesn't necessarily make the game better, it just makes it different.

I, for one, actually prefer the Gym system, though the Trial System made for a nice change of pace.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pokemon rankings, eh?
Out of the ones I played:

S tier: Crystal, Emerald
A tier: FireRead/LeafGreen, Yellow
B tier: X, Sun/Moon, Sapphire, Silver
C tier: Diamond, Red

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah I don't think it's fully fair to compare B/W to S/M. B/W is kind of where the traditional formula hit its peak IMO and you aren't going to top that without trying something really different. S/M wasn't the wild "Breath of the Wild" formula breaker of the series but its a step in the right direction. I hope that they continue that path with Pokemon 2019 and do something with its world to really make it stand apart.

I don't expect any significant changes to gameplay as that simplistic style they've used since Red/Blue is both effective and is what keeps it so that Pokemon is able to keep growing without every having to cut any past moves or monsters. I believe the overworld, however, is ready for a full overhaul. The top down perspective has its charm but I think it's a little bit dated for big budget Triple A games at this point, I want to see a free camera for that real sense of exploration. Let's Go has me worried that they'll run into technical difficulties though since there's some nasty frame rate drops at certain points.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

This is an example as to why you shouldn't make these types of videos until the console generation has passed.
A few thoughts on the cuts.
:ultincineroar:- Could be on Ash's team any episode.
- Is a unique fighter on the roster.

:ultsimon:- Pfft okay

:ultkrool:- The thought that Smash is the end of the road for him is... pfft.

:ultkingdedede:<:ultmetaknight: okay, you need to research more.

:ultfalco: instead of :ultwolf: Hmm a clone instead of a pretty different turn on the :ultfox: moveset? Okay...

:ultcloud:Video game hall of fame

LetterO

Smash Lord

This is an example as to why you shouldn't make these types of videos until the console generation has passed.

:ultfalco: instead of :ultwolf: Hmm a clone instead of a pretty different turn on the :ultfox: moveset? Okay...

Did this guy seriously keep Isabelle over Villager?

D

Deleted member

Silver is a great character but he's really the only good thing in terms of writing. The plot is incredibly simplistic and the Rocket admins get too little screentime(you don't even meet Archer until the finale).

I don't understand what was so bad about BW gameplay wise. It doesn't have as much Pokemon variety but having only the new Pokemon available before postgame is something I wish they'd do more often. Its pacing is great and the level curve is just the perfect sweespot of how they should be.

I like Colress but no one can beat N for me. Colress is a great character though and that's because he's such a perfect foil to N yet both end up in the same spot at the end: that a Pokemon's true potential is unleashed when bonded with their trainer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did this guy seriously keep Isabelle over Villager?
If it ever came down to keeping only one of them they should absolutely keep Isabelle.

Granted there will never be a good reason for Animal Crossing to have less than two characters.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm playing my friend's GameCube and is there any way to beat Event 50 in Melee? Seems harder than anything in World of Light, Ganondorf does the most damage, but some of their attacks have a lot of knockback and his recovery isn't good enough.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Did you just call Wolf a clone

ezoK5Wb.jpg

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm playing my friend's GameCube and is there any way to beat Event 50 in Melee? Seems harder than anything in World of Light, Ganondorf does the most damage, but some of their attacks have a lot of knockback and his recovery isn't good enough.
That’s the one with Ganon, Mewtwo, and Giga Bowser right?

I always used Yoshi and spammed down dair to rack up damage, then smash them off the stage.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
yall see the "top ten best smash bros reveals" that didn't have k rool or the brawl reveal trailer on it but had palutena and like ken really high up

KMDP

Smash Legend
Silver is a great character but he's really the only good thing in terms of writing. The plot is incredibly simplistic and the Rocket admins get too little screentime(you don't even meet Archer until the finale).

I don't understand what was so bad about BW gameplay wise. It doesn't have as much Pokemon variety but having only the new Pokemon available before postgame is something I wish they'd do more often. Its pacing is great and the level curve is just the perfect sweespot of how they should be.

I like Colress but no one can beat N for me. Colress is a great character though and that's because he's such a perfect foil to N yet both end up in the same spot at the end: that a Pokemon's true potential is unleashed when bonded with their trainer.
I was confused about the BW gameplay point too, there's nothing wrong with it's gameplay.

With the new Pokémon thing, the problem with that is the fact that they can't keep doing that, since having a restricted Regional Dex requires that they make ~150 Pokémon, which obviously isn't feasible long term.

Silver is a kind of character that they'll probably never do again, considering Masuda's opinion of Jerk Rivals in this day and age.

Last edited:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Pokémon stories for me are how every single game represents the goal of "become a Pokémon Master" by defeating eight civil servants (or, as in Gen 7, eight wild animals) capped off with a gauntlet challenge of five extra ones at the end. It retains this structure even when later installments focus more on the evil team plots, sticking so steadfast to the fact that the Elite Four and Champion have to be the final challenge that you'll get the big epic climax involving literal Gods being awakened from their slumber by megalomaniac villains with the world at stake... and then after that's done you've still got a sporting event to finish before the credits roll. It's a complete and utter momentum killer each and every time for me. Black & White circumvented this most effectively - yes, you still have Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, but then the game wisely shunts the battle with Alder to the side for what really matters: the battle with Team Plasma. Ghetsis is still a much better final boss than ANY of the Champions and I remember being so disappointed when Black & White 2 fell back into old habits. Sun & Moon probably has the strongest core evil team plot, but once again it's marred by its climax not being the end of the story and instead you're forced to deal with the Elite Four and Champion battles at the end yet again. At the very least, making the Elite Four (Kahili aside) characters who already appeared in the main story makes it all feel a bit more personable, and the Champion being Kukui represents the player's growth better than every other Champion in the series. Getting to defeat your mentor actually feels momentous! Too bad USUM completely chucks that out of the window by making the final boss the dude you've already beaten countless times throughout the game already, completely undermining the achievement of becoming Champion.

But yeah, Pokémon stories would be much sounder if they just vetoed the whole league structure entirely, IMO. There's no reason that that has to be the only way to represent becoming a super strong trainer. It's a JRPG! Where you constantly level-up! Becoming super strong by the end of the game is an inherent part of the genre! Surely that gives ample room to create whatever story you want around that!!! Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, while not part of the core series, still find room to have the traditional gameplay systems intact and not regurgitate the same Gym Leader plot for the umpteenth time in a row. Hell, the climax atop Realgam Tower at the end of Colosseum mirrors the gauntlet challenge of the main series' Elite Four/Champion battles while actually having stakes and consequence. Wish we could've gotten more like that in the main series.

LetterO

Smash Lord
To be fair, she is basically the mascot of the franchise
If it ever came down to keeping only one of them they should absolutely keep Isabelle.

Granted there will never be a good reason for Animal Crossing to have less than two characters.
Villager's the playable character. Isabelle may be the mascot, but she isn't the main character. Villager's the one who uses most of the moves in the moveset in his games. Villager's the one who you play as in all of the games. Isabelle's a mascot who only just became a character in the most recent game.

D

Deleted member

SM were probably some of the best games in the series. They were literally the only games in years to change the formula at all
Hard disagree. Trials to me were just gym battles, but sometimes worse. The game feels so railroaded it’s ridiculous, instantly killing any motivation to repay it. There are so many cutscenes and lines of dialogue and unskippable moments it feels like you’re only able to actually play minutes at a time. Plus, Z-moves just feel so tacked on to me. That’s just what I think though. Feels like almost all the things it did to “change the forumla” were surface level and didn’t actually change anything. Oh, and the post-game sucked imo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Villager's the playable character. Isabelle may be the mascot, but she isn't the main character. Villager's the one who uses most of the moves in the moveset in his games. Villager's the one who you play as in all of the games. Isabelle's a mascot who only just became a character in the most recent game.
Mascot supersedes the self-insert protagonist, IMO.
:ultpikachu:>:ultpokemontrainer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom