• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Quick question about arena lobbies: What's the best way to name and label them? Also, while I do enjoy 1v1s without items, I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a "veteran player", so would the " anyone" tag be better for them?

Double K

Smash Lord
Remember, Toei sent a Cease and Desist to Mexico's government for having a public viewing of the DBS finale
First I've heard of Smash. Maybe because the game's still very new and they want the meta to be established?
That was due to the locations possibly pirating it. They forced cities to make it into an event and watch it via Crunchyroll

Global Smash Power is such a dumb ****ing ranking system and I fail to see what's the point of having it instead of an actually normal and functional ranking system.
It's literally just a reskinned form of the elo system.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Quick question about arena lobbies: What's the best way to name and label them? Also, while I do enjoy 1v1s without items, I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a "veteran player", so would the " anyone" tag be better for them?
I name my arenas The Bone Zone.

Go with that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So , a question:

Apareantly Toei Animation , Bandai Namco and Nintendo are stopping DBFZ and Smash Ultimate to apear in EVO Japan.

Toei said that "they are not getting money in these tournaments"

But why Smash?
Android 21 is going to be in Smash :wario::wario::wario:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Global Smash Power is such a dumb ****ing ranking system and I fail to see what's the point of having it instead of an actually normal and functional ranking system.
Because Smash hates all of you

khfan93

Smash Cadet
It's probably the same reason why Nintendo still has friend codes, doesn't have messaging online or voice chat with strangers in Smash, etc.

Nintendo's online features have always been weirdly restricted compared to other companies because they are the kid-friendly company and Nintendo doesn't want to abandon that.

I know it is stupid since parents let their 11 year-olds scream slurs at each other on Call of Duty but it's clearly Nintendo's thinking.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
No.
They can't.
No CPUs can and if anyone tells you otherwise they're spreading misinformation.
The only thing they're good for is teaching you bad habits.
You're better off getting stomped online and actually learning people's habits than learning to stomp CPUs.
Then I guess I’ll stick to being a filthy casual until the online gets better which realistically could be never at all.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Why did you tell me to go to Galeem now i'm fighting him and I can't win what the hell.

Inkling and Fi are pretty good at this, though. The Splattershot racks up damage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Then I guess I’ll stick to being a filthy casual until the online gets better which realistically could be never at all.
Oh no, the online's HUGELY improved and the ranking system, while still weird, works to an extent.

I highly recommend going online to get beat up and learn from there.

D

Deleted member

Guys, Toei doesn't have to do with Smash Ultimate being excluded from EVO Japan. Only for FighterZ.

Nintendo of Japan is the reason for Ultimate.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
oof yeah, Id say, if you wanted it, the GC controller is good but the Pro Controller is just as good. Anything is better then the joycons for Smash.
i think the joycon layout is fine? as long as you have the grip, the controller has the same layout as the gamecube control

i do wish the stick on the right one was higher so i didn't have to switch between jumping and stick moves

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Can I get a source on Toei stating that they're the cause of the FighterZ being pulled btw? This is for a friend who wants to keep up with this story.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can I get a source on Toei stating that they're the cause of the FighterZ being pulled btw? This is for a friend who wants to keep up with this story.
No official statement.
But it's the only explanation, especially considering Toei pulls this crap all the time.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
oh yeah can someone tell me which feels better, using the stick for aerials and having a jump button, or just tilt jumping?

i find it difficult to use the jump button and wondering if i should switch

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Oh no, the online's HUGELY improved and the ranking system, while still weird, works to an extent.

I highly recommend going online to get beat up and learn from there.
I’m still questioning if it’s worth the money. The fact I have to buy a LAN adapter sucks ass. I’m running tight on money as it is anyways.

How do I actually git gud at this game?

My friend keeps kicking my ***, I want us to at least be on equal ground.
Practice... what a boring answer...

A bit late for answering but I took my time (as usual) and made you a mini practice guide because i'm rooting for you and not your friend ;)

To put it simply, pinpoint in which aspects of the game you struggle the most first (approaching your opponent a.k.a neutral game, confirm kills/take your opponent's stock or defense/the ability to shield and dodge at the right time).

Then try to practice one particular aspect at a time in a game environment where there's little or no pressure and gradually increase the difficulty when you feel you're getting better.

Neutral game is the hardest (and the most significative) aspect to master imo because it's a combination of knowing what your opponent's character can do (his strong and weak points basically), knowing what your own character can do, reading what your opponent is trying to do in real time and knowing the various timing specific to each attacks (e.g. 'comitting' with a smash attack/slow attack is risky, choosing a more 'hit and run' approach is generally safer). In other words it's a mix of knowledge and reaction time.

Getting better at safely approaching your opponent/neutral game basically gives you the opportunity to rack up % faster than him, leading to the next aspect:

Confirm kills is a pretty simple aspect. Each character have some moves that are better at confirming a kill (e.g. Incineroar back throw, Sheik bouncing fish, Snake up-tilt etc). Find the ones that are the most reliable for your character/gameplay. Know at what % the move usually kills (you can easily test it in trainning mode), when your opponent reach that % wait for or create your opportunity to use that kill move. Best way to practice finishing moves imo is playing with a % handicap on your opponent, it's one way to focus only on learning how and when to use finishing moves.

About Defense, at first i personally just played match after match against various cpus not attacking at all and just trying to block and/or dodge everything. It's a bit boring but you'll learn how to deal with pretty much everything the opponent throws at you (in other words, you'll learn the timing). When you master defense, you're getting less dmg (duh:p) but you also get opportunities to 'punish' your opponent (it's a sub-aspect of defense that you can practice after mastering your basic defense skills imo). Some moves are better at punishing depending on the situation.

With time you'll probably want to add some combos, pressure tools, edgeguarding, teching and other more advanced techiques to your toolbox but neutral game, confirming kills and defense are the basics imo.

That's how i see it anyway, I hope it helps and if it does and you happen to become a top player one day i want 10% :p

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Question is though is what's NoJ's reason for this?
No official reason out there, but I guess they're not entirely comfortable with Ultimate being played? There's not too many reasons that make sense and stray off. Just a strange decision to make, for it most likely would have been huge in terms of about everything.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Try it without a lan adapter if your modem is close.
I play exclusively in handheld so I could play closer to it. It’s a shame that lag still exists in this game when I’m paying money I worked hard to get. I’m just sticking to what I have now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No official reason out there, but I guess they're not entirely comfortable with Ultimate being played? There's not too many reasons that make sense and stray off. Just a strange decision to make, for it most likely would have been huge in terms of about everything.
It's most likely due to the official league they have over there and they don't want confliction.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember, only report a post that is inappropriate. Don't comment on it. If a post would be deleted, it's easier on us if it's treated like it never existed. Less talk about it means the thread continues on in a more appropriate fashion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom