• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double K

Smash Lord
i dislike fates for reasons other than the localization

the localization looks soooo much funnier than the original. like that one everyone keeps linking is hilarious and the japanese original is so damn dry and boring

don't you people want fun in your video games????
The thing is, the fan translation was actually really bad for the opposite reason as the localization. It didn't try to edit things like you are supposed to do with a proper translation. Fates and Awakening are both notable for being a lot more light-hearted than 7~10, but a lot of the dialogue choices in both games dates it which is not something you should do when localizing a product.

I mentioned the Elise line as one example of bad dialogue choices, but you got a lot of other stuff to handle. Effie went from being this girl who was freakishly strong and hating it, putting up with it to protect Elise. She was meant to contrast with Arthur and a lot of the humor came from basically being One Punch Man in the camp. Instead they made her into a meathead/gym rat, which kind of goes against the whole point of Elise's retainers (they look and act like you'd expect, but they put it into effect in ways to subvert it).

The Beruka/Saizou line was supposed to be a serious line that actually gave you insight to the characters, but they turned it into a meme, which was not the place to do it if you wanted a joke.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I get what you mean, but when both parties are determined to not have their minds changed I think it's best to end that discussion. It's a fruitless effort at that point.
That's if the fruit you're trying to bear is changing someone's mind or discussing something.
You're allowed to discuss your opinion, same as people are allowed to criticize it.

Double K

Smash Lord
I'm actually really harsh on Fates sonetimes but the reason for that is because I want to see FE be something better, not because I want to make everyone else hate it.

There's a lot if things Fates did so, so right but also a lot of things it did so, so wrong. Like I can be having a ton of fun with Conquest's amazing map design one moment but then be cringing the next when I see that Elise's s-support is now available, and I hate how things like that can ruin such an otherwise fantastic game for me.
I'll standby that Elise was one of the most refreshing characters in the franchise, because almost every troubadour is usually too serious to either their archetype, or an archetype where the gag is that they are serious. Having a girl who was just a genuine ball of sunshine in a game that is supposed to be 'the dark one' of the three was nice.

But yeah, the writing is ass. Translation won't change that. Give me PoR/RD difficulty and game design with Conquest's maps please

EDIT: Also I just realized that Beruka is actually a bad translation. It should be Velka

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even if you aren't going to change your mind on something, it can still be good to willingly listen to opposing sides just to try to understand where they're coming from or to keep your own opinions from becoming too blindly extreme.

Double K

Smash Lord
Even if you aren't going to change your mind on something, it can still be good to willingly listen to opposing sides just to try to understand where they're coming from or to keep your own opinions from becoming too blindly extreme.
basically th Gundam philosophy

"I understand you. I don't agree with you and you're wrong, but I understand you."

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know the context of this post but I would strongly suggest that everyone in this thread take this advice to heart.

The worst parts of Smash speculation have occurred because people refuse to listen to each other and plug their ears to defend their beliefs instead of keeping an open enough mind to understand what the other side is saying and coming to a conclusion about what they personally believe.

Double K

Smash Lord
I don't know the context of this post but I would strongly suggest that everyone in this thread take this advice to heart.

The worst parts of Smash speculation have occurred because people refuse to listen to each other and plug their ears to defend their beliefs instead of keeping an open enough mind to understand what the other side is saying and coming to a conclusion about what they personally believe.
It's over a Fire Emblem discussion re; Fates localization.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Saw some promoted Assist discussion. For either future games or DLC, Assists (and a Poké Ball) that I think would make cool fighters are Waluigi, Snorlax, Tiki, Starfy, Vince, Arcade Bunny, Shovel Knight, and Alucard.
I'll standby that Elise was one of the most refreshing characters in the franchise, because almost every troubadour is usually too serious to either their archetype, or an archetype where the gag is that they are serious. Having a girl who was just a genuine ball of sunshine in a game that is supposed to be 'the dark one' of the three was nice.

But yeah, the writing is ***. Translation won't change that. Give me PoR/RD difficulty and game design with Conquest's maps please

EDIT: Also I just realized that Beruka is actually a bad translation. It should be Velka
This is L'Arachel erasure and that saddens me,

Double K

Smash Lord
Saw some promoted Assist discussion. For either future games or DLC, Assists (and a Poké Ball) that I think would make cool fighters are Waluigi, Snorlax, Tiki, Starfy, Vince, Arcade Bunny, Shovel Knight, and Alucard.
This is L'Arachel erasure and that saddens me,
Hey, I did say almost for a reason!

The objectively **** localization where they changed things and removed them to just replace them with memes?
That'd be the one. The big problem I had with the whole argument is the extremely dismissive "Oh, you're mad about the petting game being removed" which honestly isn't even remotely the issue-- frankly I think what we were left with was creepier

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Mythra's censorship made her hotter.

Fite me.
Being someone who owns Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and is almost done completing it, I can say that I love both the original version and the "censored" version. For Pete's sake, my avi is Mòrag Ladair. She's the most covered-up female in the main cast!

Just because a girl is shown wearing more or less doesn't matter as long as they still look great in whatever it is they're wearing. Take Chun-Li for example: Still looks great in her default dress, and she wears more than Mythra does. Her other alts fall into a spectrum between skimpy and modest, but that's okay because most of them are eye-candy too. What matters is the execution. "Censoring" for political reasons and not doing something fun (and creative) with it yields boring results [cough] Dead or Alive 6 [cough]

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Being someone who owns Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and is almost done completing it, I can say that I love both the original version and the "censored" version. For Pete's sake, my avi is Mòrag Ladair. She's the most covered-up female in the main cast!

Just because a girl is shown wearing more or less doesn't matter as long as they still look great in whatever it is they're wearing. Take Chun-Li for example: Still looks great in her default dress, and she wears more than Mythra does. Her other alts fall into a spectrum between skimpy and modest, but that's okay because most of them are eye-candy too. What matters is the execution. "Censoring" for political reasons and not doing something fun (and creative) with it yields boring results [cough] Dead or Alive 6 [cough]
I can get it, it's a good execution. Some of the designs in XC2 are kinda too monotone. Leggings gave Mythra some contrast.

EDIT: Also, it's nice to see we are talking about outfits in XC2 after everything.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I can get it, it's a good execution. Some of the designs in XC2 are kinda too monotone. Leggings gave Mythra some contrast.

EDIT: Also, it's nice to see we are talking about outfits in XC2 after everything.
I also discovered some cool stuff about the characters in XB2 that actually exhibit a subtle bit of nostalgia. Example:
CHOCO character comparison.png

Makes sense, given the fact that the characters were designed by CHOCO, who's essentially the official artist behind the Xenosaga games.
I want to see more with the characters in the future. The fact there are alternate outfits in all of them gives me hope that Monolith Soft (and Namco) approaches Arksys one day to make a fighting game. Who knows? By the time the Guilty Gear Xrd engine is refined even further, we could potentially see these characters duke it out while rocking costumes like our modern Street Fighter games.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Oy vey, I hate it when this happens; yet again, an argument ensues on the forum,, and it becomes so heated that asterisks become too frequent on the pages for the likings of many who just want to talk hype and have a good time. Don't you hate it when these arguments happen, too?

Well, I have good news for you!

To cool off or get away from this whole debacle, I've made up a fun little minigame which follows a 5-step plan.

1: Make a spirit team with Full Armor X and Pyra/Sheriff
2: Create a ruleset as follows;
> Timed Match, 3-5 minutes
> Spirits On
> FS Meter Off
> Items; Assist Trophies only, high frequency
> Stage Hazards Off
> 0.5 Launch Rate
3: Choose a stage that you think is best fit for this kind of mode (I prefer Bridge of Eldin and Colosseum due to their open nature, if there are other static, flat walk-offs, I apologize for not listing them here, I've yet to play all the stages)
4: Select whoever you main, equipping the spirit team you made earlier
5: Start a 1-on-1 battle, but only go after the Assist Trophies that the AI picks up, and not the AI itself

I've been at this for the past week now, and it's a fun way to both unwind and train. Who knows, with the characters you pick, you might even get the chance to take some pretty cool screenshots (Ike VS. Black Knight, Wario/Luigi VS. Waluigi, Mega VS. Wily, the possibilities are limitless for you photographers out there). I reccomend giving your opponent a spirit team that attracts items closer towards them to make it easier for them to deploy. Hopefully it can draw some of the heat from the past couple of pages and bring in discussions on how many ATs players take out.
i just want everybody to get along plz don't yell at me/SPOILER]

I'm just gonna go to bed and wake up to a wave of vitriol in the morning. G'night, guys.[

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I'm just ribbing you, lmao. Dunno about the rest though.

Also, Tidus' forced laugh is super funny to me. I don't know why.
That laugh is on a level similar to this
amma gonna call it Funky.. funny and cringy at the same time :p

Edit: You know, I think this what Zero said when he was assigned as an AT :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/dragon-quest-xi-s-nintendo-switch/

There's a special DQ livestream going to happen on January 1st. There's the possible chance of it being Erdrick's reveal or not.
Is there going to be anyone from Nintendo there on the livestream? It seems unlikely that Nintendo would let anyone reveal something without their being there.
I do think it’s likely too soon after the Joker reveal, but we still can’t say there’s a 0% chance. I guess it depends on if they plan to space out DLC releases evenly (so, about every other month) or release multiple together.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I..dont recall memes in any of the three scenarios...now Tri Force Heroes, on the other hand..
I might be wrong on this, but I think Awakening had more memes then all three Fates routes combined. I think people are just more forgiving of Awakening's changes becaus people aren't as aware of Awakening's localization changes and because 8-4's writers are arctually hilarious.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
I might be wrong on this, but I think Awakening had more memes then all three Fates routes combined. I think people are just more forgiving of Awakening's changes becaus people aren't as aware of Awakening's localization changes and because 8-4's writers are arctually hilarious.
It's less people are more forgiving and more that people misattribute. Most of the memes in the translation were memes because of the bad translation. Awakening is the one where you get **** like "BANANA SLAMMA!"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's less people are more forgiving and more that people misattribute. Most of the memes in the translation were memes because of the bad translation. Awakening is the one where you get **** like "BANANA SLAMMA!"
I nominate that every voiceline Chrom has to be replaced with "Banana Slamma"

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
At least it's less meme-heavy than ATLUS USA's translations...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
That laugh is on a level similar to this
amma gonna call it Funky.. funny and cringy at the same time :p

Edit: You know, I think this what Zero said when he was assigned as an AT :p
I guess you could say he had Zero chances of being playable.
CARLOS.jpeg

5 alts too many.

Just for the salt. :V

Spirit censor design. Problem solved, even if the glorious sweater puppies have to be locked up :V.
I mean, I love her anyway, but I'd also want her playable just to see the fanbase catch on fire. It'll be way worse than anything Sans or Steve would bring.
Incineroar_for_the_soul.png

If it happens, be sure to save me some too!

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 183922

I mean, I love her anyway, but I'd also want her playable just to see the fanbase catch on fire. It'll be way worse than anything Sans or Steve would bring.
View attachment 183923
"I've heard you want an axe user. Here. Now never ask me for anything again."

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
View attachment 183922

View attachment 183923
667BC430-B458-4DD8-A2ED-684443E07BD2.jpeg

Eevee did not appreciate that.
Tom on the other hand...
B9456C28-C2DE-4F9E-AE63-63F8CEC01FCA.jpeg

Also hope your kidneys still function after ingesting all that salt.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Depending on the game, there is cultural precedence--- ie Futaba's dialogue in P5 had a lot of 2chan memes
I'd be okay with it if it was just Futaba...

I mean, it's not really a problem for me but sometimes it's too obvious that original text had no memes or 90s lingo.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I..dont recall memes in any of the three scenarios...now Tri Force Heroes, on the other hand..
There were a few placed throughout the supports and stuff and some other places too. One support between two characters actually got completely cut out for the "ninjas talk in ellipses" joke for example. Iirc a character or two got their entire personality changed into jokes which was quite...honestly annoying.

This....is honestly something that kind of makes me angry. They took a whole conversation showing the two characters personalities and some of their hang ups and turned it into a dumb ninja joke.

Fates is bad enough as it is but the localization made it even worse. The face petting thing being removed I honestly think was overhyped both positively and negatively imo but apparently some character backstories were also shared through that so we apparently lost some story content which just gets on my nerves.

Double K

Smash Lord
I'd be okay with it if it was just Futaba...

I mean, it's not really a problem for me but sometimes it's too obvious that original text had no memes or 90s lingo.
It's actually usually because it's unintelligible if done properly.

There were a few placed throughout the supports and stuff and some other places too. One support between two characters actually got completely cut out for the "ninjas talk in ellipses" joke for example. Iirc a character or two got their entire personality changed into jokes which was quite...honestly annoying.

This....is honestly something that kind of makes me angry. They took a whole conversation showing the two characters personalities and some of their hang ups and turned it into a dumb ninja joke.

Fates is bad enough as it is but the localization made it even worse. The face petting thing being removed I honestly think was overhyped both positively and negatively imo but apparently some character backstories were also shared through that so we apparently lost some story content which just gets on my nerves.
Effie went from a girly lady who was embarrassed by her strength into a meathad who talks about how awesome her muscles are and how swole she is.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
What do you guys think is the least fitting spirit battle? So far, for me they have to be Gengar and Rouge. Donkey Kong and Fox just don't fit for those, I mean shouldn't Rouge at least be a female character since her whole thing is being sexy? I know she's also a thief and a rogue, but then she should be Wolf if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom