• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double K

Smash Lord
Yes actually. There's a lot of purist out there who think all censorship is evil, no matter how justified or how minor. And probably some weebs who think that creepy minigame was the best possible addition to FE conceivable to.
Honestly, the alternative we got was having Elise come into the room asking for a tickle fight and then a fade to white with Corrin on their back on the bed, looking as if they just ****ed.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Yes actually. There's a lot of purist out there who think all censorship is evil, no matter how justified or how minor. And there's probably some weebs out there who think that creepy minigame was the best possible addition to FE conceivable too.
All censorship is ABSOLUTELY evil, are you kidding me?
I can't believe I'm actually arguing this. I didn't think there were people who genuinely believed this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I apologize, but there is nothing that pisses me off more than when someone goes "OH YOU'RE JUST MAD THE CREEPY PETTING GAME IS GONE"
This isn't bait like I usually post btw, I'm being serious.
Okay, that's fine, I also have problems with it (ahemNilessupportahem). It's definitely not something you need to be rude about.

But it's also at least an average translation by most standards.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This may be a stupid question, but what do the numbers in World of Light actually mean? I mean the numbers at the top-right, under the attack/shield/grab symbol. I understand it's probably the spirit's "power", but there was a Magnus spirit towards the end (I'm almost finished) where it was already an attack spirit, but it said that Ike had "increased attack power", so it confused me, since I would assume it already had increased attack power. I mean, isn't that what the number signifies?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well I'm glad youall taking Sylux spirit seriously. I just put Porky there as I didn't know what would bring that up.. or maybe he just fell from the list.
Also, that Tidus laugh is weird.. like a bird.
I'm just ribbing you, lmao. Dunno about the rest though.

Also, Tidus' forced laugh is super funny to me. I don't know why.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
On the whole DQ thing, I just wanna ask since I’m not familiar with the series, is there one game in the series that people consider the best/most important? Like does the series have an equivalent to FFVII?
DQV

Get ready to tear up

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pft, fates's localization is terrible, actively changing entire character personalities and removing content, but fates's plot was terrible to begin with so in a way that's an improvement. Just makes it all the more fun to hate.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Hot take: Fate's translation was fine. People like to yell and complain.
No, it was a genuinely atrocious localization and most people who actually play both would tell you otherwise. The fantranslation was too jilted but it's pretty obvious that the localization dated itself with bad dialogue, awkward choices and outright rewrote a lot of scenes to not even resemble their original depiction which significantly changs the tone. Most obvious support is Saizou/Beruka C which becomes 4 ellipses instead of being about a cold realization of how detached and sociopathic they've become due to being killers.

In early dialogue, the whole "Elise, act like the adult that you technically are" is such a monumentously stupid read that if you wrote that in an actual book your editor would tell you to **** off. There is a thousand and one ways you could write a line like that without making it that awkward.

"Elise, act like the noble we expect you to."
"Elise, you're royalty. Watch your manners."
"Elise, act your age."
"Elise, you're not a child, stop acting like one."

Kanna's S rank supports were rewritten so they can't be romantic because obviously it's not okay despite the game letting you have sex with either Elise or Sakura already as if that isn't creepy enough already.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
This may be a stupid question, but what do the numbers in World of Light actually mean? I mean the numbers at the top-right, under the attack/shield/grab symbol. I understand it's probably the spirit's "power", but there was a Magnus spirit towards the end (I'm almost finished) where it was already an attack spirit, but it said that Ike had "increased attack power", so it confused me, since I would assume it already had increased attack power. I mean, isn't that what the number signifies?
I assume it's a measurement of how hard the spirit's AI is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe I'm actually arguing this. I didn't think there were people who genuinely believed this.
I don't like censoring in principle, but I'm not going to complain about cosmetic changes (like they did to Palutena or Corrin in Smash), because they don't affect the characters at all, really.

Omission of that mini-game? Understandable, just look at how Western fans reacted to it. It's simply not something that translates between cultures well.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think the ironic thing about the backlash to FE amie getting cut was that it was probably cut because of backlash. You guys should have been at Serenesforest on the day of the Japanese release. It was total insanity. It also probably explains why the swimsuit shop was cut, people really weren't happy about that either.
Honestly, the alternative we got was having Elise come into the room asking for a tickle fight and then a fade to white with Corrin on their back on the bed, looking as if they just ****ed.
...Yeah, I won't lie, it was still pretty creepy.

I personally would rather of had the feature cut entirely. It should never have been in an FE game of all things in the first place. Sometimes FE:Fates just had no idea what it was trying to be.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's how strong the spirit is.

If you have a spirit with a higher number, the fight'll probably be easy. If the number is lower, you're gonna have a bad time.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
On the whole DQ thing, I just wanna ask since I’m not familiar with the series, is there one game in the series that people consider the best/most important? Like does the series have an equivalent to FFVII?
The equivalent to FFVII in Japan is DQIII (the one where you get to play as Erdrick after two games of just mentioning his legacy), but the equivalent of FFVII in the West would probably be DQVIII, the most well-known protagonist here is just called "Eight" (the one with an orange bandanna) and it's probably more comparable since it's a 3D game for the PS2. So I guess DQIII is more like the critical darling in Japan like FFVI, but they'll probably pick Erdrick instead of Eight tbh

D

Deleted member

I just realized earlier that there's no Bobble hat Inkling in Splatoon.

And that makes me sad, as I can't play as this wholesome cinnamon roll:

Bobble_Squid_Roster_1.png

~Rolling is my speciality!~

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
No, it was a genuinely atrocious localization and most people who actually play both would tell you otherwise. The fantranslation was too jilted but it's pretty obvious that the localization dated itself with bad dialogue, awkward choices and outright rewrote a lot of scenes to not even resemble their original depiction which significantly changs the tone. Most obvious support is Saizou/Beruka C which becomes 4 ellipses instead of being about a cold realization of how detached and sociopathic they've become due to being killers.

In early dialogue, the whole "Elise, act like the adult that you technically are" is such a monumentously stupid read that if you wrote that in an actual book your editor would tell you to **** off. There is a thousand and one ways you could write a line like that without making it that awkward.

"Elise, act like the noble we expect you to."
"Elise, you're royalty. Watch your manners."
"Elise, act your age."
"Elise, you're not a child, stop acting like one."

Kanna's S rank supports were rewritten so they can't be romantic because obviously it's not okay despite the game letting you have sex with either Elise or Sakura already as if that isn't creepy enough already.
I still maintain that "Rawr arrrggh rawr! That's dragon for 'I love you!'" is the worst dialogue ever written in a video game.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When they "censored" Fates they eliminated a support where Corrin literally drugs a lesbian character so she falls in love with you, of the opposite gender. In Fates she was just made Bisexual and I feel like even though it could've been done better it didn't seem as Homophobic as the Japanese version.

So, no, all censorship is not evil. Plain and simple.

Double K

Smash Lord
I still maintain that "Rawr arrrggh rawr! That's dragon for 'I love you!'" is the worst dialogue ever written in a video game.
I've seen worse, but this is another one. The actual translation is one of the most stiffly written things if you translate it because the language equivalent does not exist in English. But you could have fixed the problem by simply editing the artwork used to be a smiling/crying Kanna saying simply, "Mommy/Daddy!"

When they "censored" Fates they eliminated a support where Corrin literally drugs a lesbian character so she falls in love with you, of the opposite gender. In Fates she was just made Bisexual and I feel like even though it could've been done better it didn't seem as Homophobic as the Japanese version.

She was bi in the Japanese version too. She can S-rank with guys in the original and the whole point of the branch was that she gets too horny when she sees girls and can't focus so you make her see everyone as a dude.

D

Deleted member

There should have been an Inkling customization feature exclusive to them. Change my mind.
Duuuuude, that would've been amazing.

I understand why there isn't, though. Would probably be really hard to program.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fundamentals of the universe:
  1. Heat will always go from hot objects to cold objects
  2. You can't create or destroy energy
  3. All Smash discussions will turn into Fire Emblem discussions

Noipoi

Howdy!
Fundamentals of the universe:
  1. Heat will always go from hot objects to cold objects
  2. You can't create or destroy energy
  3. All Smash discussions will turn into Fire Emblem discussions
4. When it's not a Fire Emblem discussion, it's a Pokemon discussion.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've seen people say things like that.

"It ruins the creator's original artistic vision".

Having read the translations of the original version, I don't think it was intentionally homophobic. He actually gave her a potion to make himself look like a girl to her so he could help her get better at staying calm around girls, not to cure her "homosexuality".

It was still poorly written and had unfortunate implications though, so I am still 100% in the opinion that it was for the better it got changed.

D

Deleted member

Only thing I'm gonna say on this Fates silliness is this:

I had fun with the game, and liked it a lot. One of my top 3 3DS games, actually. You can't change my mind, and I can't change yours. Why be so upset about it, lol. :p

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Putting it in spoilers just to be safe.

The top right number is the opponent's base power along with what type it is, with red = power, blue = defense, green = grab, and grey = neutral.
The "Increased Attack Power" is basically one of the many conditions that will be in effect in the battle.
To put it shortly, in your example, the opponent is a power type, the base power is the number, but the "increased attack power" makes said opponent hit even harder than the base number would imply when that effect triggers during battle. You'll see many battles with a condition like or identical to this.

I hope I understood right and answered your question.
[/spoiler

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord

I had fun with the game, and liked it a lot. One of my top 3 3DS games, actually. You can't change my mind, and I can't change yours. Why be so upset about it, lol. :p
"Why be upset that this thing I liked got ruined because the localization team was a bunch of **** nuggets?"

Gee, I wonder.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I see your all talking about Fates's sin of a localization. I just wanted to chime in and remind everyone of the worst moment from the localized version.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Fates... I won't lie, I didn't dislike it. There were quite a few characters I really enjoyed and it was fun after I stopped taking it seriously too much.

Still far from my favorite, but I can't say I regret playing it.

D

Deleted member

"Why be upset that this thing I liked got ruined because the localization team was a bunch of **** nuggets?"

Gee, I wonder.
Lol, alright then. You have the right to dislike it! However, I think you're wasting your time trying to change the minds of those who don't hate it. If someone's fine with it, then whatevs, their opinion, right? Best to move on with life rather than have a petty argument about a silly video game.

Double K

Smash Lord
Lol, alright then. You have the right to dislike it! However, I think you're wasting your time trying to change the minds of those who don't hate it. If someone's fine with it, then whatevs, their opinion, right? Best to move on with life rather than have a petty argument about a silly video game.
It's not "You like this thing? **** uou!"

It's "This game had an atrocious localization that actively damaged the final product and soured a lot of people on the game"

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Since everyone was making tier lists before. Here's my tier list for new series likely to get in Smash Ultimate's DLC(whether it's the current Fighter Pass or a Season 2 Pass).

S Tier(Very Likely)

Dragon Quest, Tales Of

A Tier(
Pretty Likely)

Resident Evil, Minecraft, Banjo-Kazooie, Chrono Trigger(If DQ fails through)

B Tier(
Has a possibility)

Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Souls, Crash Bandicoot

C Tier(
Not likely, but a small possibility)

Tomb Raider, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, Doom

D Tier(
Pray for that possible Miracle Here)

Yokai-Watch, Golden Sun, Puyo Puyo, No More Heroes, Halo, Ray Man, Shantae, Shovel Knight

E Tier(
E is for E....nope they have a huge near impossible barrier.)

Everyone else

F Tier(Fatality Tier)

Mortal Kombat

G Tier(Goku Tier)

Dragon Ball

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i dislike fates for reasons other than the localization

the localization looks soooo much funnier than the original. like that one everyone keeps linking is hilarious and the japanese original is so damn dry and boring

don't you people want fun in your video games????

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because that's how discussion works.

It'd be easy enough to just never talk about anything and have everyone live in their own secluded echo chambers, but that's kinda boring.
I mean, by your logic, we should never try to change anyone's opinions ever.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

I'm actually really harsh on Fates sonetimes but the reason for that is because I want to see FE be something better, not because I want to make everyone else hate it.

There's a lot if things Fates did so, so right but also a lot of things it did so, so wrong. Like I can be having a ton of fun with Conquest's amazing map design one moment but then be cringing the next when I see that Elise's s-support is now available, and I hate how things like that can ruin such an otherwise fantastic game for me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since everyone was making tier lists before. Here's my tier list for new series likely to get in Smash Ultimate's DLC(whether it's the current Fighter Pass or a Season 2 Pass).

S Tier(Very Likely)

Dragon Quest, Tales Of

A Tier(Pretty Likely)

B Tier(Has a possibility)

Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Souls, Crash Bandicoot

C Tier(Not likely, but a small possibility)

D Tier(Pray for that possible Miracle Here)

Yokai-Watch, Golden Sun, Puyo Puyo, No More Heroes, Halo, Ray Man, Shantae, Shovel Knight

E Tier(E is for E....nope they have a huge near impossible barrier.)

Everyone else

F Tier(Fatality Tier)

Mortal Kombat

G Tier(Goku Tier)

Dragon Ball
Nice list (lol G tier) but I'd put Tekken slightly higher. It did got content in Smash before, after all.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

S Tier(Very Likely)

Dragon Quest, Tales Of

A Tier(Pretty Likely)

B Tier(Has a possibility)

C Tier(Not likely, but a small possibility)

D Tier(Pray for that possible Miracle Here)

E Tier(E is for E....nope they have a huge near impossible barrier.)

Everyone else

F Tier(Fatality Tier)

Mortal Kombat

G Tier(Goku Tier)

Dragon Ball
Can we just do all C-tier? Most of those sound great.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Because that's how discussion works.

It'd be easy enough to just never talk about anything and have everyone live in their own secluded echo chambers, but that's kinda boring.
I mean, by your logic, we should never try to change anyone's opinions ever.
I get what you mean, but when both parties are determined to not have their minds changed I think it's best to end that discussion. It's a fruitless effort at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom