• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
My hot takes for the 5 DLC characters, with very little reasoning behind them, but given the fact that we got Joker, I think the ball is in anyone's court.

1. Joker
2. The Weighted Companion Cube
3. Sarah Kerrigan
4. Sub Zero
5. Master Chief

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My hot takes for the 5 DLC characters, with very little reasoning behind them, but given the fact that we got Joker, I think the ball is in anyone's court.

1. Joker
3. Sarah Kerrigan
4. Sub Zero
5. Master Chief
Who are 2 and 3, exactly?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

1. Joker
3. Sarah Kerrigan
4. Sub Zero
5. Master Chief
Okay, there's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And then there's using the bottom of the barrel itself as a character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Portal and Starcraft.

2 is literally a box with a heart on it that doesn't do anything but act as a weight for buttons.
I still stand by my statement that Chell is to Companion Cube as Johnny 2x4 is to Plank.

"What's that, Companion Cube?" Ignore Chell being mute.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
A few months ago after the August direct, I drew an image predicting the rest of the base roster.
View attachment 183623
Two outta 7 seven ain't bad!

So I did it again!

View attachment 183622

This time, I decided to predict 4 safe picks and a "wild card". If I get any of these right I will laugh.

Erdrick
Dragon Quest is big. Like, really big. It's one of the biggest games ever in Japan, every release is like a national holiday. I still love Geno, but looking at it rationally A Dragon Quest character makes the most sense. people would pay for Dragon Quest, especially Japanese people. the only issue would be the composer, who's a grade A prick. But I don't think it'd be that much of an issue. If worse comes to worse we'll get some sloppy Midi songs.
Can be substituted for a SE character in general.

Master Chief
Halo is a big deal, and i'm sure Master Chief is the dream character of many. However you could substitute Master Chief with Banjo or Steve, basically any Microsoft rep. Reggie and Phil have been talking, and that doesn't guarantee anything, but I have a feeling...

Crash
Crash Bandicoot has been making a triumphant return, and what better way to celebrate this return than with Smash? I really feel this one, and I think i'd be the most surprised if he didn't get in. Can you imagine if one of Playstation's original mascots got to tussle with Nintendo and Sega's big boys?
It'd be that famous commercial all over again.

Frisk
This is it, my wild card. The one I have the least confidence in, but i'm gonna keep pushing for. Undertale was like, the biggest indie game of 2015. It was all over the place, you couldn't escape it. That's why it's so hated now actually. But if you ignore the memes and the fanbase this is a really good game. I think it was big in Japan too. Shovel Knight, the star of another huge indie game, got to be an Assist Trophy. So I don't think an indie character is out of the question. Besides, wouldn't this be just as out there and surprising as Joker? I can't say I expect it, but it's more likely than you think. I put Frisk here because a side character has never gotten in before the main character, so no Sans. If I get this one right I will legit think i've developed psychic power.

Welp, there it is. Will I be right? Probably not, but we'll never know until we see! And hey, if I get 2 outta 4 that's still half right.

Honorable mentions to Dante, lloyd, Yuri, Eudrick, Monster Hunter, Poochy, Bandanna Dee, Edelgard, Phoenix Wright, and a whole bunch of other characters I didn't even think of.
Man I want to see you do Asriel God of Hyperdeath in this style. Would commission you to do it but I aint got no money to spend on that with christmas shopping to do >_<

D

Deleted member

1. Joker
3. Sarah Kerrigan
4. Sub Zero
5. Master Chief
2 would actually be the perfect Portal rep tbh
Portal and Starcraft.

2 is literally a box with a heart on it that doesn't do anything but act as a weight for buttons.
I did not come here to hear Companion Cube slander, I will not stand for this!
I still stand by my statement that Chell is to Companion Cube as Johnny 2x4 is to Plank.

"What's that, Companion Cube?" Ignore Chell being mute.
So the Companion Cube is a lovecraftian being who could easily kill you if it wanted to but it doesn't because it knows how to supress 10% of its bloodlust?

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If Smashboards was a game, I'd be a spirit at best.

On the off chance I'd be a fighter, I'd be a middle tier that most people forget is even playable.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So pretty much everything from the drop system can be bought in the shop, and no duplicates(barring spirits)?

Wow that's nice.
With Spirits, sometimes you actually want dupes (e.g. you need Gordo to Summon both Knuckles and Togepi, neither of which are available on the Spirit Board, to my knowledge).

World of Light has a specific collection of about 600 Spirits (give or take), which you can only fight once per playthrough; besides bosses, all of the Spirits in World of Light can also be found in the Spirit Board.

The Spirit Board has the bulk of the Spirits you can find, and it seems that it actually has a kind of algorithm to prevent duplicates from showing up (well, "prevent" is a strong word). From what I can tell, when it switches out bounties, it slants more towards giving you Spirits you haven't freed yet.

Finally, there are Spirits that can only be bought in the Adventure Mode Shops (and there are some Spirits that can only be summoned using Spirits bought from said shops). Examples include Majora's Mask (the object) and the Blast-o-Matic. The Blast-o-Matic costs 10,000 SP, so... yeah... word of warning on that.

Majora's Mask is needed to Summon the Moon (naturally), and the City Tripper (bought from Funky's Shop) is needed to Summon the Master Cycle.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm noticing that people have already "completed" the game(All spirits, music, mii outfits, fighters).

Is it really that easy to farm Music/Mii Costumes this game? It was an ungodly pain in the *** in 4.
I've gotten all the characters, music and 100% completed Spirits mode. I only have about 200 Spirits left to get from the Spirits board and the remaining Mii Fighter costumes which I'm assuming are locked behind the challenges board since I haven't been seeing any new ones pop out from the shop for sometime now. Other than that, yeah I'm more or less done too and just wrapping things up until future DLC comes along.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
S+ tier is everyone here tbh. I give the general thread **** sometimes but the regulars here are actually really nice people to discuss Smash with.

F tier is reserved for like a single dude who used to be a regular here until I think they got banned for making a racist joke about Indians.

D

Deleted member

I have no idea how the users tier list discussion went but @Cutie Gwen is top tier and that's non-discussable.
Only user with more like than her is Swamp Sensei but he gets hard countered by the Stoopid Unikorn since his teaching moves are ineffective against him.
You guys were tier listing the thread?

I'm probs bottom of F. Sure, I may seem like I have a good combo game, but my approach is non-existent and I don't have any pressuring projectiles. No dis-joints on hitboxes to save me either. Recovery is also pretty so-so.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey!!! I'm settled in my vacation now. Let's see how long I can be on here...

FYI it turns out my parents like in Sedro-Woolley

..........near Bellingham

I thought they still lived in Everett...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
S+ tier is everyone here tbh. I give the general thread **** sometimes but the regulars here are actually really nice people to discuss Smash with.

F tier is reserved for like a single dude who used to be a regular here until I think they got banned for making a racist joke about Indians.
I aint no S+. I dont deserve no S+

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Nuh uh... the highest I am is probably a low B, and that's being generous...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What tiers we would each be?

I’d definitely be Brawl Ganondorf level - casuals have loads of fun, but I’m not even considered viable in a legit meta.

D

Deleted member

If Noipoi, Zinith, Smashing Ramen, Opossum, staindgrey, and Alastor017 aren't in your SSS+++ Ascended Tier, you're doing it wrong.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
>When someone doesn't put me in SSS+ tier
You sometimes strike me as the cool guy a lot of people want to be friends with so that could put you in high tier range.

Me, I’d put myself in the middle like mid/lower B to C tier.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Where's Wyoming in the tier list?

...Me, not the state. Everyone knows that is F tier! Jeez!

Sorry for demeaning your state, local tornados.

Last edited:

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
My DLC predictions:
Note: in this order
2. A Yoshi rep. Having only one Yoshi character and yet having him represent AN ENTIRE SERIES is pretty strange to me. But who would it be? Maybe a baby Yoshi would do nicely. Being different from say, baby mario in the sense that baby Yoshi would have unique abilities that may even change his playstyle. Maybe something along the lines of a quick zoner, with bubble breath and the like. Just throwing things out there. Additionally, another possibility is Poochy, since nintendo has kinda been advertising him along with Yoshi. Stage would include Wooly World modified a bit and just called "Crafted world" (explaining why WW was cut from SSBU altogether) and song would be a toss-up. Baby Bowser fight remix would be an easy guess.
3. Bandana Waddle Dee. GOD I wanted Marx to be in so much! But since he is a boss, I think we can eliminate his chances, or at least reduce it to <1%. Simply put in b/c he's a popular choice. Kinda like K. Rool, except he's the only popular character left on the fighter ballot. Stage would most likely be something from Star Allies, and music would most likely be Void Termina theme.
4. Fire Emblem Three Houses rep. Don't know anything about the series, but having Chrom as the only new FE rep and ALSO being an echo strikes me as off. Can't judge what stage/music will be included, since, again, don't know much about the series.
5. Master Chief. WOAH WOAH WOAH NOW put down your pitchforks. I feel that if Nintendo and Microsoft are all buddy-buddy like they say they are, the character they would choose would come from the question: "Who would make this game ULTIMATE?" Now, a hybrid nintendo microsoft character from the late 90's (Banjo) would cater to older fans, we already have a lot in terms of catering to old fans: old Ganon, returning vets, RIDLEY, K. ROOL for heaven's sake! Now, about why Master Chief would be a much better pick:
a. ULTIMATE. Since he's such a recognizable character, it would truly make this game feel like EVERYONE IS HERE.
b. Mass appeal. Halo has stretched across over a decade, being as old as melee.
c. Relevancy. Unlike Banjo, Halo is going to have a new installment coming SOMETIME, being Halo Infinite.
d. Uniqueness. Again, sorry to bash the ol' bear and bird, but it might be hard to distinguish the moveset from Duck Hunt, at least with normals or aerials. Master Chief would be truly unique.
You could honestly pick anything for stage and song. A good pick for both stage and song would be the Final Warden fight from Halo V, but anything could really work, in any installment to be honest.

Why didn't I pick:
Sora/Geno: Have no faith in Square Enix
Waluigi: Since Ultimate's development time was quite short, I am fairly certain that the devs didn't want a single minute of their time remodeling and programming assist trophy to be undone just to please memers.
Sans: Moveset would be too hard to inspire, is kind of a slap in the face to Earthbound reps, as you're now getting somewhat fangames in over a second Mother/Earthbound semi-clone. Plus, moveset would be too uninspired. Like, it would just be bones and hearts.
Goku: I feel that having Dragon Ball be in its own fighting game series would be the logical decision.
Dixie Kong: Seems like a waste of a DLC spot. Would probably attract less hype than Isabelle.

But who knows? I may be completely wrong and they would just add in Box Boy, because Nintendo is never truly predictable 100% of the time.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My DLC predictions:
Note: in this order
2. A Yoshi rep. Having only one Yoshi character and yet having him represent AN ENTIRE SERIES is pretty strange to me. But who would it be? Maybe a baby Yoshi would do nicely. Being different from say, baby mario in the sense that baby Yoshi would have unique abilities that may even change his playstyle. Maybe something along the lines of a quick zoner, with bubble breath and the like. Just throwing things out there. Additionally, another possibility is Poochy, since nintendo has kinda been advertising him along with Yoshi. Stage would include Wooly World modified a bit and just called "Crafted world" (explaining why WW was cut from SSBU altogether) and song would be a toss-up. Baby Bowser fight remix would be an easy guess.
3. Bandana Waddle Dee. GOD I wanted Marx to be in so much! But since he is a boss, I think we can eliminate his chances, or at least reduce it to <1%. Simply put in b/c he's a popular choice. Kinda like K. Rool, except he's the only popular character left on the fighter ballot. Stage would most likely be something from Star Allies, and music would most likely be Void Termina theme.
4. Fire Emblem Three Houses rep. Don't know anything about the series, but having Chrom as the only new FE rep and ALSO being an echo strikes me as off. Can't judge what stage/music will be included, since, again, don't know much about the series.
5. Master Chief. WOAH WOAH WOAH NOW put down your pitchforks. I feel that if Nintendo and Microsoft are all buddy-buddy like they say they are, the character they would choose would come from the question: "Who would make this game ULTIMATE?" Now, a hybrid nintendo microsoft character from the late 90's (Banjo) would cater to older fans, we already have a lot in terms of catering to old fans: old Ganon, returning vets, RIDLEY, K. ROOL for heaven's sake! Now, about why Master Chief would be a much better pick:
a. ULTIMATE. Since he's such a recognizable character, it would truly make this game feel like EVERYONE IS HERE.
b. Mass appeal. Halo has stretched across over a decade, being as old as melee.
c. Relevancy. Unlike Banjo, Halo is going to have a new installment coming SOMETIME, being Halo Infinite.
d. Uniqueness. Again, sorry to bash the ol' bear and bird, but it might be hard to distinguish the moveset from Duck Hunt, at least with normals or aerials. Master Chief would be truly unique.
You could honestly pick anything for stage and song. A good pick for both stage and song would be the Final Warden fight from Halo V, but anything could really work, in any installment to be honest.

Why didn't I pick:
Sora/Geno: Have no faith in Square Enix
Waluigi: Since Ultimate's development time was quite short, I am fairly certain that the devs didn't want a single minute of their time remodeling and programming assist trophy to be undone just to please memers.
Sans: Moveset would be too hard to inspire, is kind of a slap in the face to Earthbound reps, as you're now getting somewhat fangames in over a second Mother/Earthbound semi-clone. Plus, moveset would be too uninspired. Like, it would just be bones and hearts.
Goku: I feel that having Dragon Ball be in its own fighting game series would be the logical decision.
Dixie Kong: Seems like a waste of a DLC spot. Would probably attract less hype than Isabelle.

But who knows? I may be completely wrong and they would just add in Box Boy, because Nintendo is never truly predictable 100% of the time.
If an Undertale character got in it'd be Frisk, not Sans.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If Noipoi, Zinith, Smashing Ramen, Opossum, staindgrey, and Alastor017 aren't in your SSS+++ Ascended Tier, you're doing it wrong.
I feel like you're putting me a bit too high,

I had a rocky start here on these boards...

I should be an SSS++ Tier at max

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom