• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My humor isnt a hit with some peeps lol but yeah, What I meant was I hope we get a FE character just so yall can see how foolish you all are being, being so scared of a FE character. Just said it in a creative way
Fair enough. I guess I shouldn't project like that based on my own experiences.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mean, Smash is sort of depicted more of a sporting event then a bloody, violent fight to the death. When you KO someone they don't actually die or anything.
...Most of the time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Animal Crossing never came off as "promoting peace" at all to me. It came off as you living a regular life and doing nearly whatever you want in a village that has animal villagers as well. Peace isn't really a key factor to it nor encouraged as something important.

Undertale's main point is that peace is highly important and a focus of the main story(and it's encouraged heavily to the point of overly telling you not to hurt others over and over and over again. It's a major theme to it. It doesn't mean you have to outright follow the intended theme, but it's laid on heavily too much to ignore. Animal Crossing? Eh, no, it doesn't do that). Trying to go violent is actually discouraged. Not comparable to Animal Crossing where it doesn't really discourage you from doing anything specifically. It's just a regular life instead.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Reception of the final product aside, the Yooka-Laylee KickStarter was incredibly successful. Why? Because there was demand for a Banjo-Kazooie like game. We've seen a rise in merchandise because of the 20th anniversary. And honestly, the fact that people are still talking about the series to this day and talk about the characters' potential inclusion in Smash. The series is not like Croc or Gex, the latter of which is more of a punchline nowadays, there's not much demand for those franchises to return as much as Banjo.

I'm not saying Banjo-Kazooie was a world-changing series, Minecraft or Halo are smaller series, or their inclusion in Smash is guaranteed (as much as I don't like to admit it, Steve does seem more likely), but I think saying the Banjo series barely left any legacy is just flat-out wrong
i mean banjo kazooie arguably also revolutionized the 3d platformer genre, especially tooie with its almost open world style

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Thing about Undertale is its take on Pacificism that people overlook. You can still fight and be a pacifist. You just gotta avoid killing. Pretty much what Smash is and does.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reception of the final product aside, the Yooka-Laylee KickStarter was incredibly successful. Why? Because there was demand for a Banjo-Kazooie like game. We've seen a rise in merchandise because of the 20th anniversary. And honestly, the fact that people are still talking about the series to this day and talk about the characters' potential inclusion in Smash. The series is not like Croc or Gex, the latter of which is more of a punchline nowadays, there's not much demand for those franchises to return as much as Banjo.

I'm not saying Banjo-Kazooie was a world-changing series, Minecraft or Halo are smaller series, or their inclusion in Smash is guaranteed (as much as I don't like to admit it, Steve does seem more likely), but I think saying the Banjo series barely left any legacy is just flat-out wrong
i mean banjo kazooie arguably also revolutionized the 3d platformer genre, especially tooie with its almost open world style
These right here.

SM64 introduced an awesome open-world style, Banjo-Kazooie expanded it, and Nintendo promoted both, even placing B-K on the same level as Mario, Pikachu and Donkey Kong.

Fans clamored for a new game for a long time, and when they finally got one, some people liked it while others still liked the characters (of course) but couldn't believe they threw out what made B-K's gameplay (although some who felt this way still liked it as well).

Yooka-Laylee came, not B-K but was a spiritual successor, apparently it was buggy and the gameplay was weird compared to B-K's idk (haven't played it), and people are still wishing for the bear & bird's return.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This works both ways buddy

I think Sylux, King Boo, Edelgard, Gen 8 Pokemon and Town Kid would be weak in comparison to Poochy

See how subjectively putting down characters is annoying?
Yes, but all of them could bring unique things to Smash Bros; Poochy is literally just a dog. You can't even argue against that like you could argue against Bandana Dee being "Hat Goomba," he is literally a dog. You may scream when Poochy is revealed, but I feel like his inclusion go down worse than Piranha Plant or the very likely reveal of Erdrick.

It's not even Crafted Poochy, which would promote Yoshi's Wooly World. It's regular Poochy, from the regular Yoshi's island series, which defeats the whole purpose of promotion.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You also have to think about the potential toys come to life backstory Smash has.

If Sans or Papyrus or whoever got in? It's just an action figure of them fighting an action figure of someone else.

It just means the kid who owns all these 74 plus toys (seriously he or she's a spoiled brat) really really really wanted to see who would win in a battle between them and whatever other all-star.

And at heart that's all Smash really is a bunch of grown men, women, and kids acting out the childhood fantasy of ''X would totally beat Y in a fight!"

D

Deleted member

No I just think that every bit of material you have for Sans is his boss fight which is basically a screen effect like Pong in Smash.
Isn't that how it worked for Ness and Lucas, but on the other side of the screen?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Aang fight's all the time and he's a pacifist, he just refuses to take a life.

Who's to say an Undertale character can't do the same?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh my god dude why are you telling me this I even said I support Poochy...but he definitely goes against what seems to be the spirit of the DLC.
What is the spirit of the DLC?

Is it what Reggie said that they'd be "unexpected?" Why wouldn't that apply to Poochy? Or is 3rd party characters the only criteria that fits?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Its true though we have enough FE and Pokemon reps. Let other franchises have some more exposure.
Still missing Lyn.
Still missing Hector.
Still missing Eevee.
Still missing Gen 3 and 5 (but I'm not so desperate for that I'd take Gardetelle)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's an objectively wrong statement, paisano.

there are never enough Pokemon. Ever.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:):ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

Don't you think that's quite enough? At this rate may as well call it Super Pokemon Bros. guest starring other characters.

Let other franchises have a turn please.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
You also have to think about the potential toys come to life backstory Smash has.

If Sans or Papyrus or whoever got in? It's just an action figure of them fighting an action figure of someone else.

It just means the kid who owns all these 74 plus toys (seriously he or she's a spoiled brat) really really really wanted to see who would win in a battle between them and whatever other all-star.

And at heart that's all Smash really is a bunch of grown men, women, and kids acting out the childhood fantasy of ''X would totally beat Y in a fight!"
is that even the plot of smash bros anymore? it feels like that kind of got abandoned after smash 4. trophies aren't even in ultimate

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
What is the spirit of the DLC?

Is it what Reggie said that they'd be "unexpected?" Why wouldn't that apply to Poochy? Or is 3rd party characters the only criteria that fits?
Characters that will actually appeal and sell to people.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:):ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

Don't you think that's quite enough? At this rate may as well call it Super Pokemon Bros. guest starring other characters.
People whining about Pokemon don't know JACK **** about overrepresentation. In Capcom vs. SNK 2, there were twice as many Street Fighter characters as Smash has Pokemon. You couldn't even make an all-Capcom team without resorting to one Street Fighter.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Thing about Undertale is its take on Pacificism that people overlook. You can still fight and be a pacifist. You just gotta avoid killing. Pretty much what Smash is.
People like to overexaggerate the violence in Smash. It's cartoon violence, not Mortal Kombat. Smash is actually less violent than Undertale, where characters actually get injured and die.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Castlevania is also different in that aspect. Persona is different in that aspect to an extent.
Simon and Joker were still our picks.

I'm going off of these patterns because there is literally no reason we can offer as to why this specific one would break.
This is true and my previous point was poorly worded. I guess Solaire would only get in if either Namco or Nintendo deemed him better financially than the Chosen Undead. I would be happy with any DS representation though.

Um, why not?

It's not like he'd taint the Fighter's Pass or anything? I think people will be willing to pay for him
He would not taint the Pass, no, but if Nintendo is concerned about individual fighter sales, then maybe. He just seems a little too PP like, and he is free for anyone who bought the game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
is that even the plot of smash bros anymore? it feels like that kind of got abandoned after smash 4. trophies aren't even in ultimate
I don't think the toys come to life is ever really gonna go away because it does fit the whole spirit (pun intended) of what Smash is.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Poochy is better than those because at least it ain't yet another Fire Emblem and Pokemon rep both which are already over represented.
And Yoshi represent his series just fine.

Why add more characters to it when the titular character himself is already here? Fire Emblem and Pokemon both have revolving casts that are popular when they are introduced, so it would make sense to add them.

Besides, haven’t we stated that Sakurai doesn’t care about “reps,” just as long as the character is fun?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Let other franchises have a turn please.
There's over 800 Pokémon.
It shouldn't be shocking that the series has loads of characters in Smash

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
When I saw Joker, my impression was that all the gatekeeping rules that plagued speculation before would be broken rather than erect new ones
And my impression was that they're going for mindblowing, huge additions that will rock our world; additions such as Doomguy/Dragonborn, BIG reveals that we could never see coming that would be almost, or even ON, the level of Cloud.

You keep talking about subjectivity. There it is.

I just don't get why you have to try to convince us Poochy would absolutely 100% be a great seller and up there with Joker instead of just saying "I would like him to be in" without providing easily refuted reasoning over and over.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Spirits are even more in line with that though.

It's a kid using the toys they have to enact battles with their favorite characters, even if they don't have toys of them. The imagination behind the concept of Spirits is more closely aligned with the idea of a kid and his toys than fighters and trophies in my opinion.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Animal Crossing never came off as "promoting peace" at all to me. It came off as you living a regular life and doing nearly whatever you want in a village that has animal villagers as well. Peace isn't really a key factor to it nor encouraged as something important.
Speaking of that, who taught Villager to even fight they way they do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom