• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, are Echo Fighters now getting a bunch of hate that I missed or something?
Not from what I've seen. More people like Richter over Simon and Ken's been nothing but well received. Even Dark Samus is seen as the slightly better Samus in this game. Though she could have been real unique if they used her boss moves like the rapid fire.

I might use Dark Samus more if she meshes with me better than Samus.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So, are Echo Fighters now getting a bunch of hate that I missed or something?
I haven't seen much. Maybe people are dissapointed that some have no gameplay difference.

Honestly i'm a little sad we got so few. I mean, literally take :ultmetaknight:'s DMK alt, tatter the wings, and deepen the voice or something. There we go, we now have another echo fighter. :4alph: just needs 4 alts to make the jump to being an Echo.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And you know... any kind of mechanical difference.
Nah, just change his miscellaneous animations.
The differences between Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus are extremely miniscule compared to the others.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nah, just change his miscellaneous animations.
The differences between Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus are extremely miniscule compared to the others.
That's why I said "any kind of"

D

Deleted member

I haven't seen much. Maybe people are dissapointed that some have no gameplay difference.

Honestly i'm a little sad we got so few. I mean, literally take :ultmetaknight:'s DMK alt, tatter the wings, and deepen the voice or something. There we go, we now have another echo fighter. :4alph: just needs 4 alts to make the jump to being an Echo.
So, in other words, we're back at square one?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
And you know... any kind of mechanical difference.
Aren't :ultdarksamus:,:ultdaisy:, and :ultrichter: purely cosmetic changes? But if more is needed, swap out the Purple Pikmin for Rock Pikmin and swap out Olimar's Ship for his (I'm not a Pikmin fan, I'm just going off what I've overheard)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm surprised people were treating third party characters like locks until the last minute just because they can be clones.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aren't :ultdarksamus:,:ultdaisy:, and :ultrichter: purely cosmetic changes? But if more is needed, swap out the Purple Pikmin for Rock Pikmin and swap out Olimar's Ship for his (I'm not a Pikmin fan, I'm just going off what I've overheard)
Dark Samus has an Up-Smash that hits lower at the start, allowing her to hit characters like Diddy Kong while Samus can't. Unless that was changed and I didn't know that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Almost 1:1.
They're essentially alternate costumes, but there's some minor changes.
  1. Richter's holy water does elemental damage rather than fire damage, meaning it won't set off bombs and the like.
  2. Dark Samus has a slightly better roll and her phazon effects give a tiny bigger hitbox for moves that use it.
  3. I think, nothing confirmed for daisy.
It doesn't actually matter at all, but hey, for some reason it's there.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Almost 1:1.
They're essentially alternate costumes, but there's some minor changes.
  1. Richter's holy water does elemental damage rather than fire damage, meaning it won't set off bombs and the like.
  2. Dark Samus has a slightly better roll and her phazon effects give a tiny bigger hitbox for moves that use it.
  3. I think, nothing confirmed for daisy.
I forgot about Dark Samus' roll animations. With these clone characters, I'm sure they'll be changed over time if they return between titles. Look at where Luigi, Falco, or Ganondorf started out as. They've branched out more and more each game from their original counterparts. Though yeah, it'd be nice if they were as different as Ken is from Ryu, no doubt about that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I forgot about Dark Samus' roll animations. With these clone characters, I'm sure they'll be changed over time if they return between titles. Look at where Luigi, Falco, or Ganondorf started out as. They've branched out more and more each game from their original counterparts. Though yeah, it'd be nice if they were as different as Ken is from Ryu, no doubt about that.
I think Ken and Chrom are special exceptions because one comes from a fighting game where he already has gameplay differences, and the other was influenced by the other Awakening echo+Sakurai thinking Chrom would just be something between Marth and Ike.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Or they could just go the Lucina Dark Pit route and keep them the same. Forever.
Which, I honestly think, is far more realistic.

Dark Samus is going to be forever tied to normal Samus and that's going to be pretty lame.

D

Deleted member

Echo Fighters are fine. They add fan favorites that don't take time to develop and a lot of them make sense. People are mad at them because deep down, they think they stole their wanted characters place on the roster. They can get over themselves.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm surprised Shadow wasn't an echo.
Don't remind me...

Possibly... but then again, Lucina and Dark Pit are pretty much the same from Smash 4 in terms of their clone status, so who knows.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Echo Fighters are fine. They add fan favorites that don't take time to develop and a lot of them make sense. People are mad at them because deep down, they think they stole their wanted characters place on the roster. They can get over themselves.
Some people are mad because they think they could've unique and... that's it I guess.

You know, why couldn’t some of the echoes have inherited some of the custom moves from the last game to differentiate them more?
Probably because customs weren't made with competitive balance in mind and most of them were pretty awkward.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nah, no one reasonable thinks they steal slots or whatever.
I just feel they aren't really true to the source material and they get stuck with their cloned moveset.
You know, why couldn’t some of the echoes have inherited some of the custom moves from the last game to differentiate them more?
Not just echoes.

Give Ganondorf his wizard's dropkick.
That single move was Ganondorf's saving grace

It's beautiful.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I think there's more examples of clones being made more unique in the following games than there are ones that aren't. So there's always a chance.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, I think there's more examples of clones being made more unique in the following games than there are ones that aren't.
Well clones seem pretty fair game for continual changes. Even the doc got changes, for some reason.

Echoes though, seem like their entire point is not taking up a lot of resources.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well clones seem pretty fair game for continual changes. Even the doc got changes, for some reason.

Echoes though, seem like their entire point is not taking up a lot of resources.
Echoes seems like a reasonable conclusion of having over seventy characters. It really depends on which route next game roster will take.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Some people are mad because they think they could've unique and... that's it I guess.

Probably because customs weren't made with competitive balance in mind and most of them were pretty awkward.
Fair enough, but I mean they could’ve been the adjustments to balance out them in the transition to Ultimate, and I think some of them were viable and interesting like the Dropkick mentioned above.

Even the doc got changes, for some reason.
Hey! Don’t knock that d-air.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Good lord, Pit plays so much differently in this game. He's actually pretty fun to use now.

But I'm only using :ultdarkpit: for that sweet victory theme

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I guess. But to me clones and echoes are essentially the same. Even if Dark Pit and Lucina didn't get a ton of unique elements, others have like Doc, as you mentioned. Along with the gradual changes Luigi, Falco, Lucas, and Ganon got. While T.Link and Y.Link have their own differences from Link and this is exaggerated a bit more now since Link has different bombs, no grappling hook, and a different FS.

Still, that's far off in the future, so it's nothing to worry about right this second. I do agree some customs could have been used for characters, especially in the creations of new echoes/clones. One of the reasons I wanted Protoman (aside from the fact that I like him as a character) is that he could be used as a great way to bring back Mega Man's customs like Beat, Ice Slasher or Shadow Blade, while letting Mega Man's base moveset remain similar to before. On top of having him take twice as much knockback like in MM9 and MM10.

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all. Been playing a lot when I get home from work. Finally unlocked all the characters tonight. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but haven't really been drawn to coming here with the speculation down for the next few months probably.

So, has it been pretty dead?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey y'all. Been playing a lot when I get home from work. Finally unlocked all the characters tonight. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but haven't really been drawn to coming here with the speculation down for the next few months probably.

There's still the DLC characters mind ya...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

No.
Less traffic, but not dead.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I do not know why but Isabelle angers me alot. I don't know if its her fishing rod, or the fact that she's unique instead of Dark Samus or Dark Pit, or the fact that I find the "innocent shouldn't be hurt" posts on her really annoying.

or ive just spent too long playing quickplay and it's the middle of the night and im just getting cranky at everything

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release
Character you've played the most
Character you're confident the most with so far
Character you picked up you never thought you would
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release :ultzelda::ultdaisy::ultrichter:
Character you've played the most :ultlink::ultcloud::ultdaisy:
Character you're confident the most with so far :ultlink::ultcloud:
Character you picked up you never thought you would :ultsimon:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultinkling:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet :ultyounglink::ultzelda:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom