• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
I sometimes think about things so deeply and ask for other's opinions, and then all I got was: "It's not that deep lol"

Those two who are in a little argument right now? At least appreciate that you get such detailed responses. That's something you can both appreciate about the other, right?

We have fun here.
I know, right? I wish someone would write me a long, detailed response when I get into an argument. You can tell that each word was typed in with care, meticulously woven together to create that wall of text above.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Not sure about Agumon or Digimon in general. I guess virtual pet could be consider a video game and they don't lack games either. However, I feel like a Tekken/Soul character would fit in more since they have a thicker background through gaming. But once again, surprise factor could work into Agumon's favor.

Man, that Joker announcement really threw things out the window.
With all the transformations removed from the game, such a mechanic would make him into a unique character.

You summoned me masters

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just finished my last tough exam. Can't wait to go home and play finally start playing Ultimate.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Good news! I'm getting better at the game!

Bad news: My friends are also getting even better at the game.

And I still can't play Daisy worth ****.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Lol this is my first Smash game on release where I'm actually an adult and not a child.

That feels really weird to think about, but I guess it's true.

Also, this CPU decrease for the challengers is stupid. I wanted to have some bragging rights for not having died much, although I will say that a few of the fights had the CPUs mostly kicking my ass.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Not sure about Agumon or Digimon in general. I guess virtual pet could be consider a video game and they don't lack games either.
If :ultgnw: is considered a video game, then Digimon can be considered a video game.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I mean, I couldn't see Bayonetta without being violent as well, she literally has Torture Attacks in her games. Violent characters are allowed in Smash Bros, Bayonetta and Joker have shown that.
Tbh, I have never played a Bayonetta or Persona game in my life or seen a lot of gameplay from either so I never really had much of an idea but at least I’m learning. *shrugs*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Sakurai played a game, so he'll add a character from it" isn't a good argument and second pic just proves some translator in Treehouse likes Undertale.
I mean, to be fair, it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. Lest we forget that Sakurai namedropped Zelda and Castlevania specifically as being formative games for him before Simon and Richter were added, and that he praised Persona 5's UI to the point where it not only inspired Ultimate's, but to the point where Joker was added to Smash. He also praised Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and seemed almost remiss that he couldn't add Rex in Ultimate, so he made a Mii costume for him as a bonus.

Obviously it's not a guarantee, but one could have just as easily wrote off Joker before his reveal if someone brought up Sakurai's thoughts on Persona 5 as being in his favor.

Last edited:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Lol this is my first Smash game on release where I'm actually an adult and not a child.

That feels really weird to think about, but I guess it's true.

Also, this CPU decrease for the challengers is stupid. I wanted to have some bragging rights for not having died much, although I will say that a few of the fights had the CPUs mostly kicking my ***.
This is the first Smash I get to buy by my own as an adult as well.

Feels good man. In the Brawl era I had to wait like one year long to get a Wii and the smash bros game.

And yes, I dont like the cpu decreasing thing as well. In fact, I love challenges.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Bayonetta seems like a braindead game from what I've seen. At least in the beginning where you literally can just press one button the whole time to win.

Can't wait to see the lore expanded upon though, so I might get Bayo 3 just to note all the pieces of lore

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m about to get prepared to fight Galleem...but right after I rescue :ultryu::ultlink::ultpikachu: cause I want them

D

Deleted member

"Sakurai played a game, so he'll add a character from it" isn't a good argument and second pic just proves some translator in Treehouse likes Undertale.
I remember Sakurai saying at some point that he feels like he can't talk about games he enjoys because people will automatically assume that he's hinting towards Smash content.
Some things never change.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Not sure if mentioned but Gamexplain has their interview with suda51 and they discuss the possibility of travis in smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
tfw people say "Omg isabelles final smash is great!!" Even thonis just a reskinned Villager final smash and they respond with "No, kts different"
Power of emotions.

Also, maybe they like town halls better than homes?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For those interested in who the strongest Smasher really is...:

WHY IS THIS SO CUTE OH GOSH INKLING WITH HER LITTLE DRAWING AND HER TRYING TO SAY "KIRBY" AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Samus's panel is the very definition of wholesome.
I thought this was fairly common knowledge. Kirby is the only charater besides Ness whose final bosses are often cosmic horrors that can consume all light and life in the universe. And he defeats them by beating them up. As opposed to having to cause them to have some kind of existential breakdown like Ness does.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I remember Sakurai saying at some point that he feels like he can't talk about games he enjoys because people will automatically assume that he's hinting towards Smash content.
He's not the only one. Ed Boon likewise stopped talking about Smash because it got a whole bunch of Twitter followers asking about Scorpion in Smash.

I feel like game development directors aren't allowed to talk about ANYTHING but their respective games, lest they get stampeded.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Bayonetta seems like a braindead game from what I've seen. At least in the beginning where you literally can just press one button the whole time to win.

Can't wait to see the lore expanded upon though, so I might get Bayo 3 just to note all the pieces of lore
Honestly Bayonetta can get pretty difficult. If you go in expecting button mashing one button to get you far you will likely see the game over screen a lot. Aside from that though the games are designed around being as stylish as possible so doing a variety of moves is encouraged.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I made this little trailer thing. The title is a joke, obviously. But what do you think of the trailer? Keeping in mind that a 15 year old put it together in Windows Movie Maker, of course. :p

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: *breathes*
Smash Fans: “ZOMG It’s a Smash hint Durhhhhh!”

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this and there is probably a lot of legal mumbo jumbo for this but thinking about it. If Sakurai wants to make Smash more about gaming as a whole rather than keeping it within the scope of Nintendo. Why not make Smash multiplat at that point? I mean, you're adding characters that appeal more to audiences outside of Nintendo, why not give them easier access to the series then?

Its like opening up a vegetarian restaurant in an area where most people prefer to eat vegetarian food and running that for a number of years and then suddenly have a lot of meat food that you want to sell as well. Why not branch out at that point? (Not sure if that's a good analogy but hopefully you get the idea...)

I personally don't mind third parties with little to no history with Nintendo, but I think I would still like for them to not go too overboard with them. At least not yet, ease things in just slowly for now, like they did with Sonic and Snake back in Brawl when third party inclusions first became a thing.
Because Nintendo owns "Super Smash Bros" and most of the characters in it, not Sakurai, and Nintendo doesn't do multiplat. It's that simple. They'd be darned if they let Mario and Link on the Xbox or Playstation.

D

Deleted member

Because Nintendo owns "Super Smash Bros" and most of the characters in it, not Sakurai, and Nintendo doesn't do multiplat. It's that simple. They'd be darned if they let Mario and Link on the Xbox or Playstation.
Funny thing, there was a demo for a Marvel game with Link and Samus in it about a decade ago, but it was on the Playstation version, so Nintendo declined the offer...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not just that. It's a system seller. They sell the Switch at a loss in hopes that they can get lots of people to buy the software for it. Allowing their biggest 2018 hit to be purchased on other platforms kills that idea entirely. It'd be stupid.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This is a way too emotional approach to the subject.
I've seen people cry when Ridley got in. I saw the same with K. Rool. People get emotional over these characters. I'm just giving an analogy for how I feel when characters who have done so much for Nintendo are not featured in Smash while ones that was barely a part of it got in over them. It doesn't sit right with me. Personally speaking. And it's not that I dislike those characters or don't think they aren't welcome. It's just you'd think 3rd parties who are chummy with Nintendo would get the honor to be a part of the gang before they did. Especially when some of them (like Cloud) have this huge legal hullabaloo behind them while someone like Rayman would work just fine and get plenty of content.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I made this little trailer thing. The title is a joke, obviously. But what do you think of the trailer? Keeping in mind that a 15 year old put it together in Windows Movie Maker, of course. :p
i dont know what i expected but it probably should've been that

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ultimate had a new patch, but aside from it, no. It was pretty uneventful.
Well, I know that, and I still have nothing to do...

Mad they removed the invisible bomb glitch, though. Glad they fixed Greninja's tongue at least (for his screen KO).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom