• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Imagine an alternate universe where the Microsoft buyout happend a couple years later so Banjo and Kazooie made it into Melee. And Ultimate marked their triumphant return after a decade of people thinking it was impossible.

Now imagine a universe where they were never in Melee. And made it into Ultimate as a DLC character as a special present and thank you to the long time fans. This is that timeline.

Last edited:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Imagine an alternate universe where the Microsoft buyout happend a couple years later so Banjo and Kazooie made it into Melee. And Ultimate marked their triumphant return after a decade of people thinking it was impossible.
Well, Melee had a very short development span.

Snake and Sonic were wanted in Melee, but they couldnt make it, so they waited for their turn in Brawl.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Good news! I'm getting better at the game!

Bad news: My friends are also getting even better at the game.

And I still can't play Daisy worth ****.
Im not going to say get good (god i hate that STUPID MEME) but I will say keep at her, you'll break through. I had a hard time learning Lucario in Brawl back in the day, and eventually took Lucario in Brawl to tourneys. Maybe take a week away from her then come back refreshed.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Im not going to say get good (god i hate that STUPID MEME) but I will say keep at her, you'll break through. I had a hard time learning Lucario in Brawl back in the day, and eventually took Lucario in Brawl to tourneys. Maybe take a week away from her then come back refreshed.
Oh, I know. I played a ****ton of Melee and was in the Brawl competitive scene for about three years. But I more or less skipped Smash 4 and getting back into the swing of things was much harder than I thought.

Daisy, though... Gah. I want to main her, but the moveset is so jarring and unlike me. Lucina's definitely my best right now, no question.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release
Character you've played the most
Character you're confident the most with so far
Character you picked up you never thought you would
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet

Here's me

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release:ultwolf:
Character you've played the most :ultwolf:
Character you're confident the most with so far :ultwolf:
Character you picked up you never thought you would :ultyounglink:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultpokemontrainer:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet N/A

osby

Smash Obsessed
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultpokemontrainer:
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release::ultisabelle:
Character you've played the most ::ultpalutena:
Character you're confident the most with so far ::ultzelda:
Character you picked up you never thought you would ::ultkirby:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold ::ultrichter:(more or less)
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet :ultness:

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

1. :ultlink:

2. :ultlink: (I will have...)

3. :ultlink: (I will be...)

4. Uh...depends. I have a lot of characters I considered maining and such, so for obscure ones (to me), :ultsnake:.

5. To be honest, :ultzelda:. Still may give her a chance later, at least.

6. I had fun with him in Smash 4, but as for right now, :ultolimar:.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Alrighty then! :)

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultyounglink:
Character you've played the most: :ultlink:
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultlink:
Character you picked up you never thought you would: :ultinkling:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold: :ulttoonlink:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet::ultzss:

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultincineroar:
Character you've played the most: :ultlucas:(also :ultlucario:)
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultlucas:
Character you picked up you never thought you would: :ultwolf:
Character you've intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold: :ultkirby:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet: :ultmario:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've come to the conclusion that Spirit Battles are just not worth the frustration most of the time. Sure it's nice to see all these characters in some form in Smash, but legit the most difficult matches?

The ones that make you want to take your Switch to Gamestop and get 12 dollars store credit for it are the characters people actually give a damn to see about in Smash.

I like a challenge, but some of these are just not even the fun kind of challenge.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So me pointing out your obvious deflection and incompetence to follow up on your own points means I'm guilty of "desperately wanting the attention"? I'm just trying to have a discussion here buddy. No need to get defensive.

1. Something you don't seem to understand is how owning specific IPs in overseas environments works for the native land. I tried to explain it in my original post, but I'll try harder this time:
Say your name was Bob and you owned an ice cream parlor. You called this Bob's Ice Cream Parlor. Now say you had a gentleman with well-kept black hair, a suit and tie, and glasses come up to you with a very pretty looking business card saying he was the American representative for a Swiss advertising agency named Swiss Relations. You give the gentleman a call and he explains to you how his company takes a 20% cut of all your internal margins in exchange for representing your ice cream parlor. This includes marketing, dealing with lawsuits, potentially working with partners to make your product better. All the good stuff. You accept his offer without any additional conditions, and sign on to a 1-year contract. Bob's Ice Cream Parlor is now owned by Swiss Relations, and they agree to take all of your profits and return 80% of them to you on a certain basis; usually bi-weekly, like a standard paycheck.
Now, say Swiss Relations is a really crap company. They hire dime-an-hour lawyers to help you through a lawsuit and you lose because of it, costing you millions of dollars. They run a few internal advertisements but otherwise, there's no real marketing for your product. They come up with no good ideas and because of that, your business is down 15% on the year, on top of the 20% you're giving them. They're a parasite to your company, and that's terrible because they own you now and you can never get rid of them! Right? Well no, not exactly. After the contract runs out, you can not sign a new one and instead take back your company; there's no contract binding your company to them anymore, so the original clause defining the company is the only one that stands, which in this case would be that Bob's Ice Cream Parlor belongs entirely to Bob. Swiss Relations is no longer involved in your company.

Now, the main thing to take here is by signing a contract where you agree to a specific royalty amount, you're not actually giving them 20%. What you're actually doing is giving them 100%, and they're agreeing to return 80% to you. Even though, legally, the contract states that you're forfeiting the entire company, or in FromSoftware's case, the entire IP in exchange for being returned a net sum on a specifically stated basis, the company really doesn't belong to Swiss Relations (or Bandai Namco) outside of that specific contract. After the contract expires, you can choose whether or not to sign a new one. Clearly, you want to be a good supporter of the company or IP in the specific area, whether it be to a certain market or just based on geography outside of a certain area. Otherwise, they can drop you and never look back.

This is how it is with FromSoftware and Bandai Namco when it comes to Dark Souls outside of Japan. No, I don't work for either company, but to say the general logistics of law don't apply to someone handling a specific IP would be foolish. Sure, Bandai Namco WOULD have some representation in the IP outside of Japan, but not as much as you seem to think. This is something Bandai Namco would still, very likely, agree with just because Dark Souls and FromSoftware is huge for them and something they'd rather not lose if they have the choice. Calling Dark Souls and/or Solaire a "Bandai Namco representative" would be correct in some ways, incorrect in others, and as a whole just VERY misleading.

2. Oh, no. I was just bringing up my uncle to explain where I get my information from. He has nothing to do with this situation at all and I fully apologize if I made it seem like I was trying to give him any authority. You can forget I even mentioned him if you'd like.

3. But, do you know how the legal negotiations would go? You seem to be trying to completely disregard my entire argument just because I wouldn't know how negotiations would go, but you don't seem to know either. The fact here is that I'm simply just trying to use the knowledge of the system that I, personally, know to explain how things could go. Nobody here knows for sure, and trying to emphasize legal jargon in an internet forum discussion about a video game is foolish and I think you trying to say I'm the fallacious one in this situation is laughable.
Just to mention, I've already agreed that Bandai Namco would have to be involved in the negotiations, just not in as wide of a scope as you seem to think. So I'm confused as to why you keep bringing it up.

4. I think it's funny that you open up this point by saying "it's nothing more than opinion passed off as fact" because when have I EVER said anything of mine in my original post should be taken as fact? I'm literally just trying to have a conversation, and how do you converse among facts? You don't, you converse among opinions because they're the only thing that can be refuted! This is an internet forum; take everything anyone says with a grain of salt! Why do I even need to tell you this?
4.1 - If I'm oversimplifying something, explain to me how I am, not just that I am.
4.2 - I personally don't believe that we're gonna get 5 outrageous wildcards; I've been saying for quite some time that the last 1 or 2 reveals will likely be very obvious, but surprising just because we were expecting something bigger. I don't really see why I need to have sources when I'm just making personal predictions? Honestly not sure if you even know what you're arguing for anymore.
4.3 - The Sakurai interview is a great point to make, and just shows how little we really know. "It has to be Lloyd" being supplemented by points of how big Symphonia was for the West can be a huge turning point for why he makes it in IF a Tales rep does, but we can never be too sure until it does happen. But looking at the past, the fact that it took Ridley 2 full games to make it in after all the Western hype around him during the Brawl speculation era, despite an onslaught of Fire Emblem characters that not too many people cared about outside of Japan making it in amidst the Ridley-less timespan, leads me to believe that Sakurai still values what his homeland wants over what his Western fans want.
It's ALL speculation and guessing what could happen based off of what little info we have so far. We can both agree with that, right? That none of us know for sure what will happen, and we can only speculate? Unless you have insider information; that'd be great! Then I wouldn't need to argue since it would be factual information, considering FACTS CAN'T BE ARGUED, ONLY THE OPINIONS SURROUNDING THEM. And that, my friend, is exactly why we're even arguing in the first place.

I almost feel like you didn't even fully read my original post when you call it biased, not well-worded, and not supporting of my own points. I feel like I did a great job not inciting any bias into it, and defined my own points quite well (which, let me remind you that I only "accused" you of not supporting your own points because you literally didn't, you quite literally deflected without actually explaining your points). Why do you think I didn't, just because I disagree with you or is there something more to it? Let's have a conversation, man. No need to get upset over a video game.
The tone of your original post came off as hostile to me, and I hastily responded in kind to that; my apologies for escalating the situation and coming off as hostile myself.

You do make some good points, though I believe Solaire falls into the complicated realm of "teh licensing issues!" that Sora and Erdrick have to deal with constantly given that he is between two companies. I'll agree to disagree with you.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've come to the conclusion that Spirit Battles are just not worth the frustration most of the time. Sure it's nice to see all these characters in some form in Smash, but legit the most difficult matches?

The ones that make you want to take your Switch to Gamestop and get 12 dollars store credit for it are the characters people actually give a damn to see about in Smash.

I like a challenge, but some of these are just not even the fun kind of challenge.
Protip. Some of the strongest Legend Rank Spirits aren't obtained through directly getting them, the best ones are often Summoned Spirits and Enhanced Spirits.

Example: Isaac (Dark Dawn) is one of the strongest Grab Type Legend Spirits, and all you need to do is Summon Isaac using Garet, Ivan and Mia, then enhance him. He has the skill "Energy Shot Attack/Resistance ↑" and has three slots.

Thinking about it, does Isaac even have a Spirit Battle? I haven't seen one.

Untouch

Smash Master

I think this is notable, not because of the names, but the fact that Nintendo gave at least two characters to Xander Mobus as a red herring. (Rayman and Altair)
To me this suggests that Nintendo thinks that Western characters are at least believable to throw in as a red herring for the announcer. They're also both Ubisoft characters but whatever I don't think that means anything.

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release :ultyounglink:
Character you've played the most :ultcorrin:
Character you're confident the most with so far :ultcorrin:
Character you picked up you never thought you would :ultsamus:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultisabelle:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet :ultluigi:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
WELP! I know what I'm doing.

Do you need to start at 5.0 or do you just have to end over 5.0?
End, so I started at 3.0. Even then, you'll probably end up around 8.0, so there's some room to sweat.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Protip. Some of the strongest Legend Rank Spirits aren't obtained through directly getting them, the best ones are often Summoned Spirits and Enhanced Spirits.

Example: Isaac (Dark Dawn) is one of the strongest Grab Type Legend Spirits, and all you need to do is Summon Isaac using Garet, Ivan and Mia, then enhance him. He has the skill "Energy Shot Attack/Resistance ↑" and has three slots.

Thinking about it, does Isaac even have a Spirit Battle? I haven't seen one.
He does.
You fight against 4 fighters, 1 at a time, while the Isaac assist trophy auto-spawns. The fight ends in a Mii in Isaac's costume. IIRC you can fight it very late into adventure mode. Or early. I honestly can't remember anymore.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Oh, this should be fun!

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultsimon:
Character you've played the most: :ultinkling:
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultinkling:
Character you picked up you never thought you would: :ultpichu:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold: :ulticeclimbers: (on hold)
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet: :ultrosalina:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Guys, let me ask you all

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release:ultzelda:
Character you’ve played the most: :ultpalutena:
Character you’re most confident with: :ultpalutena:
Character you picked up that you never thought you would::ultpeach:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped or put on hold: :ultpichu:
Veteran from previous game you’ve used but aren’t clicking with yet::ultzss:

KMDP

Smash Legend
End, so I started at 3.0. Even then, you'll probably end up around 8.0, so there's some room to sweat.
The image for the Challenge is certainly... interesting.
He does.
You fight against 4 fighters, 1 at a time, while the Isaac assist trophy auto-spawns. The fight ends in a Mii in Isaac's costume. IIRC you can fight it very late into adventure mode. Or early. I honestly can't remember anymore.
Thanks.

I'm not that far into the Dark World yet.

D

Deleted member

Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Wanted to play the most::ultridley:
Played the most::ultkrool:
Most confident with::ultkrool:
Unexpected pickup::ultinkling:
Put on hold::ultganondorf:
Can't click with::ultness:
I want to like Ness, but there's something about him this time that simply doesn't feel right. I still really enjoy this iteration of Ganon, but K. Rool has stolen my heart in a way no other big body has.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Character you wanted to play the most pre-release: :ultisabelle:
Character you’ve played the most: :ultisabelle:
Character you’re most confident with: ::ultisabelle:
Character you picked up that you never thought you would::ultkrool:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped or put on hold: :ultdarksamus:
Veteran from previous game you’ve used but aren’t clicking with yet::ultsnake:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character you wanted to play the most pre-release :ultshulk:
Character you've played the most :ultshulk:
Character you're confident the most with so far :ultcloud:
Character you picked up you never thought you would :ultike:
Character you intended to play, but have dropped/put on hold :ultrichter:
Veteran from a previous game you've used but aren't clicking with yet :ultmarth:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Character I played the most: :ultchrom:
Character you're confident the most with so far: :ultchrom:

Character I picked up you never though you would: No one lmao idc about the others
Character I intended to play, but have dropped/Put on hold: :ultrichter:
Veteran from a previous game I used but aren't clicking with yet: :ultmarth:
Bonus question: Veterans you're loving the **** out of it even though you weren't that much enjoying it before: :ultcloud::ultpalutena:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Guys, let me ask you all

Here's me

Character I wanted to play pre-ultimate: :ultinkling:
Character I've played most: :ultpalutena:
Character I'm most confident in so far: :ultpalutena:
Character I didn't expect to enjoy: :ultzelda:
Character I intended to play, but fell out: :ultrichter:
Veterans I used to play that aren't clicking: :ultsonic::ultmegaman:

Last edited:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Honestly, after a week with Ultimate, it's honestly not feeling so "ultimate" anymore for me.

The complete lack of Home-Run Contest, Event Mode, Stage Builder (kinda), Target Smash, 10-Man/3-Minute Smash, Trophies, etc. combined with my general (albeit personal) dislike of anything involving Spirits is seriously starting to make this game go from "amazing" to "OK" for me, and that breaks my heart. Every mode is just "you fight something", which is good for Smash, of course, but since that's all there really is, it doesn't feel unique to me at all.

I understand that Sakurai put his blood, sweat and tears into this game as he always does and I'm glad for that, but it honestly feels pretty empty for me.

To put it as a metaphor, it's like being told you're gonna be getting a really delicious cake albeit with pictures only taken from certain angles, only to lift up the tin and see that 3 out of the 8 slices are missing. But you're promised bite-size (but still pretty tasty) chocolate-chip cookies in the future to try and make up for it. Those are just snacks, and you were still underwhelmed by the main course.

Still nice, but doesn't substitute what's not there at all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not Smash related, but I just realized every Nintendo direct until it's release there will be a ''THIS CHARACTER IS REVEALED" for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

And that's wild.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom