• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, but having the bone just encourages them to reuse that bone over and over and over again. That character might not have gotten in in the first place, but I'm sure having an easy placeholder to easily carry over probably doesn't help their chances.

And while you may like that, I don't. And I'm tired of being told that that's good enough and that everyone shouldn't be disappointed with the scraps they get.
That's the thing though, no one is saying that having an assist trophy is just as good. No one reasonable at any rate. If you're dissapointed that the character is not in, that's fine, but I think blaming the costume for that is taking it at step too far and shooting the messager.

If Sakurai had the "porting a costume is more then enough" mentality I don't think we would have never gotten K.Rool or Chrom upgraded.

D

Deleted member

I'm still waiting for a proper Ranked Mode...

Seriously, how does Splatoon have one and Smash doesn't? Feels very odd.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Anyone else really curious about what specifically changed about Ice Climbers? They're one of the characters listed in the patch notes and I really hope they didn't do anything to mess with their desyncs, they're what make ICs so cool to begin with. :(

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
They nerfed the CPU difficulty for unlocks.

Ugh. I really hope they don't touch Spirits. They were fine!
Oh, and I just got my last one last night. Pittoo and then Paly at the end.

It did feel a bit disappointing running my first Classic that didn’t give me a ‘Challenger Approaching’ banner.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Smash needs to be more fresh before it can get a ranked mode.

Adding the Woomys was a good start, but the only way to achieve maximum freshocity is the add the Veemos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash needs to be more fresh before it can get a ranked mode.

Adding the Woomys was a good start, but the only way to achieve maximum freshocity is the add the Veemos.
aa1.gif

This one gets it.

Give Inkling a friend, Sakurai!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Apparently, Smash Ultimate really hates how the fight where I listened to Mewtwo's Guidance ended, because it won't let me convert the video.
(After Palutena, Viridi and Pit stopped talking, Mewtwo teleported below the stage and SD'd)
The game allows me to record everything up to the point where Mewtwo teleports below the stage, then the replay crashes and boots me out of Convert to Video mode without saving what was recorded.

Basically, it lets me record everything but the bit I want to record, because **** me, I guess. :laugh:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You guys want a little personal hot-take?

The "Next Ridley" (there will never be another Ridley, but another character might take his place as the biggest request.) won't be who you think.

It won't be Isaac, it won't be Banjo, it won't even be Geno. It'll be Waluigi.

A lot of it will just be people memeing, but those are still people shouting for the character. Ironically or not.

Waluigi will be the next character to reach meme status until he gets in, he's already halfway there.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
“Adjusted” is such a vague term. They could’ve just said what characters got buffs/nerfs or a mix of both. At least it’s something.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So which Nintendo characters do we have left that aren't "would be cool to have them" but are straight up "feels wrong that they still aren't here yet"?

I'm a big Dixie Kong supporter but she's popular irrespective of that. So is Toad, either him or Captain Toad / Toadette. Bandanna Waddle Dee also feels like a strange absence even if I prefer other Kirby characters.

I see those 3 brought up all the time, but does anyone else feel that way with any other Nintendo characters?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So which Nintendo characters do we have left that aren't "would be cool to have them" but are straight up "feels wrong that they still aren't here yet"?

I'm a big Dixie Kong supporter but she's popular irrespective of that. So is Toad, either him or Captain Toad / Toadette. Bandanna Waddle Dee also feels like a strange absence even if I prefer other Kirby characters.

I see those 3 brought up all the time, but does anyone else feel that way with any other Nintendo characters?
Dixie Kong, Toad, Bandanna Dee, Paper Mario, Waluigi. Once those guys are in, I think we can say just about all the biggest Nintendo names are here.

Last edited:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
So am I allowed in the Salty Spittoon now since I unlocked all the characters through Challenger Approaching only and before the patch?

Noipoi

Howdy!
So am I allowed in the Salty Spittoon now since I unlocked all the characters through Challenger Approaching only and before the patch?
I got everyone except Sheik, who I got through World of Light. I just barely got away from Weenie Hut Jr's.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Personally feel that way with classic Ganon too, maybe Impa and Paper Mario as well. Besides those I guess we have most of the all-stars present.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Dixie Kong, Toad, Bandanna Dee, Waluigi. Once those guys are in, I think we can say just about all the biggest Nintendo names are here.
As Noipoi said: Dixie, Toad, BWD and Waluigi are missing. Waluigi slightly less so because he's never actually been in a mainline Mario game.

I'd also include Isaac in that list, considering how successful Golden Sun was back in the day (GS1 sold about as much in 2001 as Awakening did in 2012/13). Isaac's never had timing on his side (too late for Melee, too much competition for Brawl, out of the public eye by Smash 4, etc).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

Likely a different in development philosophy between Sakurai and Splatoon's team. Sakurai has always seem to be a hesitation of putting people into ranking brackets and resort to things that a bit more vague such as the GSP that has such a high number associated with it that it doesn't mean much to most people.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I got everyone except Sheik, who I got through World of Light. I just barely got away from Weenie Hut Jr's.
Same here.

Note: unlocking everyone outside of World of Light means you have to unlock them all twice.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I definitely think Waluigi is at the top of that list for me. People love to pretend that spinoffs don’t count, but Mario Kart has a whole subset of music and stages that don’t overlap with the main Mario series. Waluigi’s definitely made it there.

Outside of Nintendo though, I put Tails in that category as well. He’s been around since 1992, and has always been the Luigi to Sonic’s Mario. Now that Sonic’s the longest-serving third party vet and has great history with Nintendo (albeit as a rival more than a promoter), I definitely thing the blue blur earned his BFF in.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I'm gonna sound biased when I say this, but a Rhythm Heaven character.
The series is big in Japan, and I'm still surprised that it has yet to have a Smash rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Namco and From Software would still have to work together to include Dark Souls in Smash, because while it is developed in Japan, it is a worldwide game, and therefore all copyright owners need to be involved in the process. It's also a lot more complex than just okaying a character; there are a lot of moving parts and Namco would be involved in that as the copyright holder

Anyways, Lloyd has a lot of other reasons for inclusion than "2.5D anime-esque JRPG protagonist," and I doubt we're getting all wildcard picks like you think we are. Thank you for giving me every reason to write that Lloyd speculation post though.

#3's coming soon everyone.
Thanks for dodging my well-worded essay of an explanation on why you're probably not and instead responding with two sentences completely unrelated to the matter at hand. Sure showed me!

today's society in a nutshell: have an opinion but be too afraid to defend it

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Toad or Captain Toad(but not both) with a Toadette alt, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee...to be honest now we have Daisy, it does feel a bit weird to not have Waluigi. Always saw those two as counterparts.

I'd also say it feels a little weird to not have either Meowth or Eevee, two of the most prominant, and likely famous Gen 1 Pokemon who retained importance through the years, but due to the way Pokemon's series is treated it's unlikely we'll get either Team Rocket's Meowth nor Let's Go's Eevee.

Maybe Tingle actually too. He's arguably the biggest face from Zelda, it's just a face the USA doesn't like.

Those feel like all the essentials for Nintendo. Krystal, Lyndis, Isaac, and Paper Mario would all be decently huge choices too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I saw a suggestion for Terry Bogard and it just feels right considering how much KoF inspired Smash. Also I know it's a joke but **** off with that Fem Terry bull**** that game is creepy as **** and if you're going to change a big muscular man into a woman, keep the goddamn muscles

Also great to see some form of patch notes

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Hey hey, does anyone know how to unlock the songs for Steam Gardens and Hyrule Castle (Outside)? Haven’t been able to find any conclusive info on this.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Apparently, Smash Ultimate really hates how the fight where I listened to Mewtwo's Guidance ended, because it won't let me convert the video.
(After Palutena, Viridi and Pit stopped talking, Mewtwo teleported below the stage and SD'd)
The game allows me to record everything up to the point where Mewtwo teleports below the stage, then the replay crashes and boots me out of Convert to Video mode without saving what was recorded.

Basically, it lets me record everything but the bit I want to record, because **** me, I guess. :laugh:
Your game was just angry that Viridi wanted Mewtwo dead

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
IMO The major missing nintendo characters are:

Dixie, Waluigi, Toad, Waddle Dee (you can argue the later two are part of peach/daisy and king dedede though)

honestly I think thats it.

you can make a good argument for the importance of some other characters like: Impa, Tingle, Paper Mario, Krystal etc... but they dont feel "missing" the way those first 4 do, they feel more like they just didnt get picked to be characters where as not having dixie/waluigi/toad/and waddle dee actually feels sort of "off".

that said the rosters nearly perfect, I cant complain.

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
So, I just found out that Isabelle's name means "It's a bell". I mean, don't quote me on this, it's just something that came to me out of nowhere when playing as her. "It's a bell", as in your currency in Animal Crossing? It makes sense!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Waluigi is overrated.

People only really just likes him for the memes really and only reason they want him. I'd argue he's not up there with the major characters.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Waluigi is overrated.

People only really just likes him for the memes really and only reason they want him. I'd argue he's not up there with the major characters. After all he's only featured in said spin-off sports games and never in any main titles as other of those characters were.
God can we stop with the Waluigi bashing

No. I've liked him since I was a child due to his goofy, dramatic mannerisms, his design, his general zaniness, and how much of a fun time he was. Screw off with that. I get it's cool to bash characters because of a bad chunk of their fanbase now, because I'm a Geno fan, but just stop.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Waluigi is overrated.

People only really just likes him for the memes really and only reason they want him. I'd argue he's not up there with the major characters.
People said this about Ridley.

People said this about K.Rool.

People say this about pretty much everyone really.

When you start to argue that people DON'T actually want something they're vocal about.... then you start to not look very smart.

Regardless, even if people just wanted him for the meme, is that a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom