• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Characters who definitely fits "unexpected".

Agumon (Digimon)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Dovahkiin (The Elder Scrolls)
Master Chief (Halo)
Neku (The World Ends With You)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Poochy (Yoshi)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
Sylux (Metroid)
What about Doomguy?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
He also has way more voice lines than any other modern Persona protag. P3 and P4 protags only ever spoke during battle, and even then that was just to call out Personas. Joker talks when you save, when you get answers right in class, and even in the middle of dungeons sometimes.
He also has a lot of interesting unused voicelines alongside his normal ones.

I love these, they're fantastic.

"LET ME EXPLAIN"
"AND THAT'S IT"

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also on the subject of DLC my dream five "Unexpected" pack would be Joker, 2B, Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, and James Bond.

My other unexpected pack which is more plausible would be Joker (it is so weird that THIS is the confirmed guy), Neku Sakuraba, Lloyd Irving, Professor Layton, and Sans.

I also don't think that Dovahkiin is out of the conversation. If anything he should be a much bigger name. I'm with Luigi The President Luigi The President on this one. A company with a big recent Nintendo partnership, a game that was a phenomenon internationally, a character with a unique high fantasy moveset that would aesthetically both stand out and fit right in? You don't get better than Dovahkiin.

A Style Savvy rep can't be discounted either, I feel. A first party, unusual fighter, a demographic that doesn't have a lot of representation in Smash (outside of maybe Isabelle), and would be a ton of fun.

I know I said I'm basically retired from speculating because, hell, I got Joker so anyone else feels greedy. Haha. But hey, it's fun to consider these things.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Smash ultimate’s cpus are insane...

Just going into spirits mode and fighting the
zss mgs3 boss spirit
made me wanna break my controller. Even on easy mode i had to get extremely lucky with a meteor with dk.

And I’ve seen videos of the level 9’s, those things are horrifying.

But good thing is they play more like real people now (close as possible in smash anyway ) going for baits and frame traps that feel like something a real player might do.

And since I likely won’t be subbing to Nintendo online, until they make it actually good anyway, least the cpus in ultimate will provide some actual training, as well as entertainment, literally the only smash game that it’s fun to watch lvl 9 cpu fights.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Mario has been around for decades and his personality is about as bland as can be.

Now Wario, that's a likable character. Simply for the fact that he has an actual personality.
mario not having a personality is a very common false fact

he doesn't have a super deep character, but he still has enough to make him endearing

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Also on the subject of DLC my dream five "Unexpected" pack would be Joker, 2B, Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, and James Bond.

My other unexpected pack which is more plausible would be Joker (it is so weird that THIS is the confirmed guy), Neku Sakuraba, Lloyd Irving, Professor Layton, and Sans.

I also don't think that Dovahkiin is out of the conversation. If anything he should be a much bigger name. I'm with Luigi The President Luigi The President on this one. A company with a big recent Nintendo partnership, a game that was a phenomenon internationally, a character with a unique high fantasy moveset that would aesthetically both stand out and fit right in? You don't get better that Dovahkiin.

A Style Savvy rep can't be discounted either, I feel. A first party, unusual fighter, a demographic that doesn't have a lot of representation in Smash (outside of maybe Isabelle), and would be a ton of fun.

I know I said I'm basically retired from speculating because, hell, I got Joker so anyone else feels greedy. Haha. But hey, it's fun to consider these things.
Nooo don't leave us Flyboy

Was Joker your most wanted?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
mario not having a personality is a very common false fact

he doesn't have a super deep character, but he still has enough to make him endearing
I'd call it bland. The only way I can think to describe his character is "excited" and "a good guy".
Not to say mario needs to be interesting or anything. His games are usually full of personality and are very tightly designed. But in general, not necessarily a protagonist I find to be anything other than uninteresting

D

Deleted member

Struggling with how to properly aim Splat Bombs on Inkling. I feel like I'm probably using them wrong, gonna flub around in some CPU matches to test some ideas out. Then, I'm off to finally try WoL! So excited! :D

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If I had to choose the remaining DLC characters for Ultimate, they would be:
Sora
2B
Master Chief or Steve
Scorpion

Although any new characters are guaranteed to make me pleased, I really think it would be great if Nintendo decided to go big for the rest of the newcomers and chose more third party characters that would hype up a lot of people just like the rest did. There aren't any heavy hitter first parties left in my opinion. Sure. Characters like Dixie Kong, Paper Mario, and Bandana Dee would make a lot of people on this forum happy, including me, but there's absolutely no way that most normies, like the main audience of the Game Awards and Fortnite fans, would get fired up and excited over any of those. After the reactions to Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, Joker, etc., it should be clear by now that the majority of gamers prefer heavy hitter third parties. I find it ridiculous that some users on here hate the addition of third party characters, especially those that have little to no history with Nintendo (who cares?) so much that they unironically believe their inclusions taint the roster. It's true that Smash used to solely be about Nintendo history, but we have moved beyond that point a decade ago. Now, Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole. It's truly the ultimate crossover experience in gaming. I say let the floodgates open!

Also, the reason I'm not discussing anything like World of Light, unlocking characters, gameplay, etc. right now is because I'm not getting the game until Christmas.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nooo don't leave us Flyboy

Was Joker your most wanted?
Oh don't worry, I'm not going anywhere! I'm just wholly satisfied with the Fighter's Pack after getting Joker so I don't see myself dissecting all the little hints and insiders and such like I did in the lead up to the game's release.

And yeah, basically. He was my most-wanted that I never dared to even dream of. Phoenix Wright and Elma were always more plausible, and Phoenix especially competed with Travis as my "dare to dream" most-wanted, but Joker was my perfect newcomer I knew would never happen. Like, he was tied with Marina Liteyears, who is my nostalgia pick, and that's kind of a big deal. I screamed so loudly when he turned that envelope around that I got lightheaded, started crying, and scraped my knee on the living room carpet. I don't feel bad though because my roommate was reacting in much the same way. :) Persona 5 is one of my top three games of all time. The idea that if we got 2B my top five favorite games of all time would all be represented in the greatest crossover of all time is just insane to me.

Potato_

Smash Lord

I also don't think that Dovahkiin is out of the conversation. If anything he should be a much bigger name. I'm with Luigi The President Luigi The President on this one. A company with a big recent Nintendo partnership, a game that was a phenomenon internationally, a character with a unique high fantasy moveset that would aesthetically both stand out and fit right in? You don't get better that Dovahkiin.

I'm shying away from speculation purely because of how the picks are going to be so unexpected. Part of me wants to preserve that surprise factor so I can get another Joker moment.

Also yes please Neku it would be amazing.

Struggling with how to properly aim Splat Bombs on Inkling. I feel like I'm probably using them wrong, gonna flub around in some CPU matches to test some ideas out. Then, I'm off to finally try WoL! So excited! :D
Inkling is REAL weird to me, like you I find the splat bombs hard to aim and generally I don't know what moves kill.

I have no idea what to do on them.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Joker was my perfect newcomer I knew would never happen. Like, he was tied with Marina Liteyears, who is my nostalgia pick, and that's kind of a big deal. I screamed so loudly when he turned that envelope around that I got lightheaded, started crying, and scraped my knee on the living room carpet. I don't feel bad though because my roommate was reacting in much the same way. :)
I was away from my computer when the trailer started, so I showed up right around the time Yusuke was like "have you already sent a calling card?"

I immediately unplugged my headphones from my computer so I could hear what was happening right away, and then when that Smash logo showed up on the envelope. I screamed. And continued to scream for about 5 minutes.

In the end, I screamed so much I actually ended up hurting my throat. Heheh.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
OH NO!!!

I was trying so hard to unlock characters and I'm missing a Dovahkiin discussion! Thanks for the heads up, I need to inject my two cents :shades:

Man, Dovahkiin's the dream. I really would like to see him come with several race/gender options as skins, and we absolutely need Fus Ro Dah as a neutral special so Kirby can copy that.

I think that one of the reasons he'd fit so well in my mind is that the concept isn't just "oh, cool character!" It's also how he'd fit with the rest of Smash as a whole. Think about it - the helmet is ridiculously iconic to the point that just that helm can symbolize the whole game. And there is a character in Smash whose entire gimmick is putting on a hat to steal others' moves. This writes itself. Also, Fus Ro Dah, the most well known of shouts and the first one you get, is entirely designed around pushing people away. The final version just ragdolls characters and flings them around. People naturally looks at that to shout other NPCs off of the highest cliffs, which instantly became a meme. Now, if only there were a fighting game series where the entire point was to knock someone off the platforms and into the abyss...

Pity Marth took the most obvious Classic mode theme. Still, I feel like it'd be easy enough to get something useful, and Rathalos is the natural final boss of the run. All of this almost fits too well.

Also don't forget that it's also on every other GOTY list (granted, from 8 years ago...), and even was the first Western game to get perfect in Famitsu. Yeah, Bethesda's in a hole now and they keep digging, but the DLC would have already been decided (and if anything, Beth needs the good PR right about now). Besides, TES and Fallout are two different series, and TESOnline hasn't been a ****show. And think of the memes of Todd Howard porting Skyrim to Smash :laugh:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why did you need to explain to me what **** is about? That wasn't even my question.
Well, I just tried to make the connection between that and the role of it with the character. Sorry if I came across as just trying to sound smart. If the explanation didn’t help, I apologize!

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Anyone know how we are meant to beat both dracula forms on the highest intensity without dying?

D

Deleted member

I'd like to see Dante, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, and Lloyd as DLC Fighters.

D

Deleted member

What would happen if one of the DLC characters were either Tracer or Genji from Overwatch?

D

Deleted member

I know there is a question thread but i don't want to wait 5-10 hours but can you use a 3ds as an controller??

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm probably very late on this but...
"Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros."
https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
All bets are off. We're getting Kratos, Dovahkiin, Gex and Arthur Morgan.
I can already hear the cries of Nintendo purists.

D

Deleted member

"Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros."
https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
Come on Doomguy, Come on Doomguy, Come on Doomguy.

D

Deleted member

Tracer would be pretty awesome, not gonna lie. I feel like she would fit aesthetically and have a great moveset.
Slrsy if you're gonna make a game about NINTENDO ALLSTARS at least make them have a game on a Nintendo console

WaxPython

Smash Ace
This game is actually really classic nintenhard at times.

Side note but doesanywejre knkw where this supposed rematch a challenger that we failed to beat place somewhere in the menus is? I want another crack at ganondorf who cheap shot me

D

Deleted member

Slrsy if you're gonna make a game about NINTENDO ALLSTARS at least make them have a game on a Nintendo console
Cloud
Joker

Side note but doesanywejr;e knkw where this supposed rematch a challenger that we failed to beat place somewhere in the menus is? I want another crack at ganondorf who cheap shot me
Shows up after a certain amount of time in games and more in the bottom right

Last edited by a moderator:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
*looks quietly at a sackboy plush*

Is it your time...? Has it finally come?

Potato_

Smash Lord

Side note but doesanywejre knkw where this supposed rematch a challenger that we failed to beat place somewhere in the menus is? I want another crack at ganondorf who cheap shot me
In Games and More, in the bottom right corner there will be a yellow door when you can rechallenge. It takes a few matches or ingame time for them to appear there though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
We have All-Stars that aren't Nintendo characters and Nintendo characters that aren't All-Stars and we have characters that are neither. I think we moved beyond it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom