• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Smash ultimate’s cpus are insane...

Just going into spirits mode and fighting the
zss mgs3 boss spirit
made me wanna break my controller. Even on easy mode i had to get extremely lucky with a meteor with dk.
Yeah, she was tough. One time, I had almost won, but ran out of time, which frickin' ticked me off. My fighter was Marth and one of the ways I was able to get her continuously was by abusing Marth's Grab Down and Back-Air.

D

Deleted member

So could Reggie's quote be a hint to mostly third party DLC?

That could be a good or a bad thing

Good because its good from a business and marketing standpoint, and a lot of people will be happy if characters like Banjo or Steve get in

Bad because non of my wanteds are third party except for KOS-MOS lmao

D

Deleted member

I'd be disappointed.
Like **** gaming history. Just pick the most popular recent shooter.
Bayonetta 1 and 2 was also fairly recent and she got in. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Ghost or Soap from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 please Sakurai, the nostalgia will be incredible

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Slrsy if you're gonna make a game about NINTENDO ALLSTARS at least make them have a game on a Nintendo console
I mean, I don't disagree, but when dealing with total hypotheticals I think there are plenty of characters who would translate to the Smash formula well.

Also, I'm just saying, Reggie's comments pretty clearly made it seem like Ultimate specifically has the goal of being a great gaming crossover overall.

D

Deleted member

We have All-Stars that aren't Nintendo characters and Nintendo characters that aren't All-Stars and we have characters that are neither. I think we moved beyond it.
Ya but at least don't advertise it as the ultimate Nintendo crossover because is like 50% Nintendo and 50% randomness

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ya but at least don't advise as the ultimate Nintendo crossover because is like 50% Nintendo and 50% randomness
Where it is advertised like that?

And 50%? Let's be real, we have 11 guests in a 75+ character cast. A few more won't make or break it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm probably very late on this but...
"Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros."
https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
All bets are off. We're getting Kratos, Dovahkiin, Gex and Arthur Morgan.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Ok, so three of those four I really have no clue about and don't care, but the fourth makes up for it and then some.
So could Reggie's quote be a hint to mostly third party DLC?

That could be a good or a bad thing

Good because its good from a business and marketing standpoint, and a lot of people will be happy if characters like Banjo or Steve get in

Bad because non of my wanteds are third party except for KOS-MOS lmao
That's completely what I'm expecting.

If you watch the Nintendo store reactions from E3, it wasn't the first parties getting the big cheers. It was Sonic, Ryu, Cloud (especially Cloud). And the veterans who missed 4. So Snake got double the cheers.

It really seems like most companies are branching out their DLC to third parties. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the characters we end up getting is an out-there third party pick. And there will be LOADS of salt. Still, I can't see a fourth-rung somewhat niche Nintendo first party character generating anywhere near as much hype as a third party.

I've pretty well decided I'm not going for the fighter pack until I see who's in it and decide if the completionist in me needs it. Or if any of them look awesome and have great stages. Or if there's someone announced to hype me to the point i stop caring.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bayonetta 1 and 2 was also fairly recent and she got in. Just saying.
Yeah, and it should've been Dante
Ahem, anyway I could understand why they chose Bayonetta due to its continued existence past 2008 being owed to Ninty, (or "1st in Europe among realizable choices" if you believe that), but Tracer would just be Nintendo going "Hm, what's popular nowadays? That." without any regard as to if she'll even be important over the next few years.

In short, doomguy tho

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Honestly a third party centric pass would be great. Of course there's Nintendo characters I love and still want in, but third parties have also been some of the hypest announcements in Smash history.

Some big third parties I'd be interested in seeing:

- Kratos + Atreus
- Dante
- Dovahkiin
- Tails/Eggman

Feel like these guys could bring real interesting movesets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I gess i will start supporting burnout car for smash
You do that, fam.
Yeah, and it should've been Dante
Ahem, anyway I could understand why they chose Bayonetta due to its continued existence past 2008 being owed to Ninty, (or "1st in Europe among realizable choices" if you believe that), but Tracer would just be Nintendo going "Hm, what's popular nowadays? That."

In short, doomguy tho
I disagree, but Doomguy for DLC Ultimate would be the hypest thing ever.

D

Deleted member

There are two genders: Nintendo All-Stars and burnout cars, educate yourself.
Burnout car has nothing to do with Nintendo so he/she/it?? Is perfect yes I intend to be difficult but i think i have whined enough

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Ok, so three of those four I really have no clue about and don't care, but the fourth makes up for it and then some.

That's completely what I'm expecting.

If you watch the Nintendo store reactions from E3, it wasn't the first parties getting the big cheers. It was Sonic, Ryu, Cloud (especially Cloud). And the veterans who missed 4. So Snake got double the cheers.

It really seems like most companies are branching out their DLC to third parties. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the characters we end up getting is an out-there third party pick. And there will be LOADS of salt. Still, I can't see a fourth-rung somewhat niche Nintendo first party character generating anywhere near as much hype as a third party.

I've pretty well decided I'm not going for the fighter pack until I see who's in it and decide if the completionist in me needs it. Or if any of them look awesome and have great stages. Or if there's someone announced to hype me to the point i stop caring.
I don’t know how to feel about how DLC will work out. I don’t feel like every pick will be 3rd Party, but at the same time, you make an extremely valid point in your post.

Anywho, *slams fist on table* SORA! SORA! SORA!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
CF3CBD66-E5A1-43E8-9972-FE0AF44EF27D.jpeg

I’m probably gonna look like this in a second for saying so and I’ll eat my words if someone like Doomguy makes it in, but am I the only one that thinks any protagonist from a first-person game would not led itself well to the style of this game?

Hey, stop quoting Hamlet...
Et tu, Dylly?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 182309

I’m probably gonna look like this in a second for saying so and I’ll eat my words if someone like Doomguy makes it in, but am I the only one that thinks any protagonist from a first-person game would not led itself well to the style of this game?
I guess. I don't even root for her particularly, but for example, Tracer would fit into Smash well.

Also not familiar with the character, but Doomguy seems campy enough to work in Smash.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 182309

I’m probably gonna look like this in a second for saying so, but am I the only one that thinks any protagonist from a first-person game would not led itself well to the style of this game?
Snake is the closest thing we have to that but he's just a lot of explosives i think a fortnite rep could fit this slot even though fortnites not a first person shooter but people would actually go insane if that happened

D

Deleted member

You feel like Bayonetta was a better pick than Dante?

Preposterous.
No, no. I think Dante's awesome and would 100% be amazing and he and Bayonetta are equally amazing. I disagree with the notion that guest characters have to have history with Nintendo to be in Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There are two genders: Nintendo All-Stars and burnout cars, educate yourself.

*insert "why not both?" memes*
Because there are only so many resources.
023whs5edpv01.jpg

I could say "why not just everyone ever" and everyone knows it's because it just isn't happening.

D

Deleted member

No, no. I think Dante's awesome and would 100% be amazing and he and Bayonetta are equally amazing. I disagree with the notion that guest characters have to have history with Nintendo to be in Smash.
If thats the case then speculation about dlc wouldn't really be relevant because it could literally be any video game character ever

D

Deleted member

If thats the case then speculation about dlc wouldn't really be relevant because it could literally be any video game character ever
No **** not ever video game character can be in one game. I'm just saying I don't thinks a guest character needs to have history with history to be in Smash.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not FPS, I just mean first-person in general. To me I feel like it’d be hard to have a character’s personality and familiarity show through and feel like you’re playing said character when in the source game you’re not really focused on the character since you’re looking through the character’s perspective. I dunno if I’m getting what I’m trying to say across, am I wrong for thinking this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom