• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh boy

The theory is that...

There's 3 missing slots in the music menu.

What this may be potentially implying, is that there will be 3 new franchises added to the game.
Not third parties necessarily-went and edited that.

I'd bin this, except...Nintendo and Sakurai is totally fine with hiding this stuff right in plain sight. Remember the box theory?

So...give it some thought.
Sounds plausible, but unfortunately, it's not verifiable until the last dlc character comes out OR we get 2 1st party characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have a hard time believing it means they planned exactly that when deciding on the shape of the lists and everything. I just don't, sorry. The stage select isn't going to be filled out either, there's going to be one slot left. The music select screen could not fill out completely or it could (more likely) extend down to the next row.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I have a hard time believing it means they planned exactly that when deciding on the shape of the lists and everything. I just don't, sorry. The stage select isn't going to be filled out either, there's going to be one slot left. The music select screen could not fill out completely or it could (more likely) extend down to the next row.
And I had a hard time believing they organized a pre-rendered box in a September Direct so that it would fit with a pattern including Ken and Incineroar.
Here's the thing. They do plan exactly like that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That theory is one of the smaller-cornerstones of the Grinch leak, since Rhythm Heaven, BK, and Golden Sun were three 'new' franchises while Mach Rider's music had been shown alongside the Misc. series.

To note, that coincidence leak that had Joker also only had 3 new franchises.

I feel it's just a coincidence for now.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That theory is one of the smaller-cornerstones of the Grinch leak, since Rhythm Heaven, BK, and Golden Sun were three 'new' franchises while Mach Rider's music had been shown alongside the Misc. series.

To note, that coincidence leak that had Joker also only had 3 new franchises.

I feel it's just a coincidence for now.
I mean, I don't know why any leaks need to come in to this.

This is just evidence they may have been planning with 3 new series in mind.

I don't see why it's necessarily a coincidence.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I don't know why any leaks need to come in to this.

This is just evidence they may have been planning with 3 new series in mind.

I don't see why it's necessarily a coincidence.
I was just saying that the 3 Music slot theory isn't anything new is all, it's existed for as long as the Grinch Leak did, which is kinda funny since Shishoe brought it up first in favor of the leak, despite being against it wholeheartedly.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I was just saying that the 3 Music slot theory isn't anything new is all, it's existed for as long as the Grinch Leak did, which is kinda funny since Shishoe brought it up first in favor of the leak, despite being against it wholeheartedly.
Been completely forgotten about, just saw someone bring it back up so I decided to do so as well.

Shroob

Sup?
While it's far too early to say for certain:

Another ballot, or some form of popularity contest, almost feels like it's going to happen. The ballot was a massive PR success when it first started for Smash 4, I cannot imagine that they won't try something similar later down the line.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Another ballot, or some form of popularity contest, almost feels like it's going to happen. The ballot was a massive PR success when it first started for Smash 4, I cannot imagine that they won't try something similar later down the line.
Oh good ****ing god I don't want to imagine another year of Ballot arguing in 2020
wait
oh god what the **** the final dlc will probably be out in 2020
what the **** I JUST REALIZED THIS HOW AM I GONNA SURVIVE HELP ME

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh good ****ing god I don't want to imagine another year of Ballot arguing in 2020
wait
Agreed. I don't think I can survive another "the ballot was rigged!!!" and voting wars period.

Though, I guess it won't be that bad now that we have K.Rool, at least.

Shroob

Sup?
wait
You'll survive with probably getting a characters every 2-3 months if I had to guess.

If the final end date for DLC is Feb 2020, and we can assume that Piranha Plant is coming out in Feb due to the Amiibo, a release schedule of a character every 2-3 months seems logical.

Considering there's only 5, I can't see them doing like, a bunch reveal ala E3 2015.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You'll survive with probably getting a characters every 2-3 months if I had to guess.

If the final end date for DLC is Feb 2020, and we can assume that Piranha Plant is coming out in Feb due to the Amiibo, a release schedule of a character every 2-3 months seems logical.

Considering there's only 5, I can't see them doing like, a bunch reveal ala E3 2015.
So like....
Feb: PP release, Joker showcase, #2 trailer
E3: #2 release, #3 trailer
August: #3 release, #4 trailer
November: #4 release, #5 trailer
Feb 2020: #5 release

...what do y'all think?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I sure as hell hope they do. I do think a second wave is possible. But in that case, the stage list still won't match up. And I don't think they'd do another "page" or whatever.

I can see two at E3, but that's about it. All five are supposed to be out by Feb 2020.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So like....
Feb: PP release, Joker showcase, #2 trailer
E3: #2 release, #3 trailer
August: #3 release, #4 trailer
November: #4 release, #5 trailer
Feb 2020: #5 release

...what do y'all think?
Probably something similar to that.

I think the DLC will start in Feb with Piranha Plant, and end in Feb a year later, giving us 6(7) characters, with probably a "We're announcing the ULTIMATE Fighter Ballot!" thrown in there somewhere.

Also you forgot to release Joker.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Because of Fourside representing Station Square and “Open Your Heart” being played (Also confirmed on Smashwiki)

Maybe, though it’s weird she’d be the first opponent as well as before Magnus
Just because someone went on a wikia and wrote something doesn't make it "confirmed", that site isn't official.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
wait
Yeah, I'd rather not have anymore ballots create more controversy within the Smash community.
And considering the last ballot was used I both Smash 4 and Ultimate, I'd rather not think about of the possibility of another character pass

Shroob

Sup?
Ya'll hatin' the ballot.

That's how we got "EVERYONE IS HERE" and K.Rool.

Yeah, it was miserable, but sometimes you have to deal with **** to get rewarded in the end for it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If nothing else, the smash ballot was really fun. I loved seeing all these sects make their own movements and graphics rallying people to vote for their character.

Shroob

Sup?
Does anyone have any idea what the "presents" feature in Vault is going to be used for? I wonder if we'll be getting occasional free DLC through that.
If I had to guess, that's where the free Spirits/Piranha Plant will show up.

Kinda like Mystery Gift ala Pokemon.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ya'll hatin' the ballot.

That's how we got "EVERYONE IS HERE" and K.Rool.

Yeah, it was miserable, but sometimes you have to deal with **** to get rewarded in the end for it.
But it was in another game. I don't think fan votings are the best resource for DLC.

If nothing else, the smash ballot was really fun. I loved seeing all these sects make their own movements and graphics rallying people to vote for their character.
"Fun". I guess if you like tribal flame wars and conspiracy theories that will result in a nuclear meltdown.

Okay, I'll stop exaggerating.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If a new ballot applied to more DLC characters for Ultimate specifically, rather than the next installment last 4's largely did, then I'd be all for it.

With several major players like K. Rool, Ridley, Isabelle, and Bayonetta already being apart of the roster, I'd be very interested in seeing who else another ballot could help bring in at this point. I'm sure Dixie Kong would place fairly highly, at least.

Shroob

Sup?
But it was in another game. I don't think fan votings are the best resource for DLC.
It's a PR stunt more than anything.

I'm in the camp that Bayonetta was going to win the poll regardless since datamining kinda infers it, but you know what it was good for?

Publicity.

Smash 4 had been out for about half a year when the ballot was announced and our first DLC character was available, with a 2nd announced. That, along with the ballot, was a HUGE publicity stunt for the game and was an amazing PR move by Nintendo.

With soo many fan favorites already in Ultimate, I'd honestly love to see who rivals the "Kutthroats" this time on their level of dedikation.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
The more i thought about it, i definitely think one of the DLC Charcters is Jibanyan considering the series popularity in Japan and Level 5's relationship with Nintendo. There's no way Nintendo wouldn't want Jibanyan in Smash

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh boy

The theory is that...

There's 3 missing slots in the music menu.

What this may be potentially implying, is that there will be 3 new franchises added to the game.
Not third parties necessarily-went and edited that.

I'd bin this, except...Nintendo and Sakurai is totally fine with hiding this stuff right in plain sight. Remember the box theory?

So...give it some thought.
I'm pretty sure that this Music Theory 2.0 means nothing.

First of all, of course its not a perfect square. It's for the same reason the CSS or stage select screen isn't one - most numbers don't form perfect squares or rectangles. I doubt they're thinking "we need to add exactly three franchise to form a perfect rectangle, no more no less".

Second of all, the box theory had something else major going for it, which was that it seemed to have accommodated for Ken. If it weren't for Verg leaking Incineroar as well (and the fact they the probably wouldn't have ended the reveals with just a single echo fighter), the box theory could have been used to argue that there's 1-2 characters left rather then 2, since it wouldn't have had to have been completely filled in.

Finally there's that Ultimate, in it's current form, is meant to be a complete product. It'd be strange for them to design their UI around DLC that possible hadn't even been fully finalized rather then designing it around its current state. Of course they'd still want to make it easy to accommodate for DLC, but I still don't think they thought "hey lets leave out exactly three open spots for the DLC just in case".

Even if we do get exactly three new franchises I won't buy this. It'd probably just be a very possible coincidence.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

First of all, of course its not a perfect square. It's for the same reason the CSS or stage select screen isn't one - most numbers don't form perfect squares or rectangles. I doubt they're thinking "we need to add exactly three franchise to form a perfect rectangle, no more no less".

Second of all, the box theory had something else major going for it, which was that it seemed to have accommodated for Ken. If it weren't for Verg leaking Incineroar as well (and the fact they the probably wouldn't have ended the reveals with just a single echo fighter), the box theory could have been used to argue that there's 1-2 characters left rather then 2, since it wouldn't have had to have been completely filled in.

Finally there's that Ultimate, in it's current form, is meant to be a complete product. It'd be strange for them to design their UI around DLC that possible hadn't even been fully finalized rather then designing it around its current state. Of course they'd still want to make it easy to accommodate for DLC, but I still don't think they thought "hey lets leave out exactly three open spots for the DLC just in case".

Even if we do get exactly three new franchises I won't buy this. It'd probably just be a very possible coincidence.
Nah, the stage select screen was definitely made in mind for at the very least 5 stages, and I really doubt that extra 6th slot won't be put to use.

In the current game, they could have made a perfect square with all the stages that we had+random, but they knowingly left a bunch open for dlc.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The characters announced already mess up the character roster. They don't fit perfectly or anything, its going to have to expand again to fit all 6.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
There are two words that are gonna give me a complex when I play Smash Ultimate:

"EXPLOSIVE FLAME!!!"
My friend Kenny was a MONSTER with Palutena in 4 though he had many versions with different custom moves. I’m curious as to how he’ll adapt now that he’s limited to one play style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom