• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not FPS, I just mean first-person in general. To me I feel like it’d be hard to have a character’s personality and familiarity show through and feel like you’re playing said character when in the source game you’re not really focused on the character since you’re looking through the character’s perspective. I dunno if I’m getting what I’m trying to say across, am I wrong for thinking this?
We have a lot of avatar characters, I don't think it's really a valid concern. As long as the said character has a design, that is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No, no. I think Dante's awesome and would 100% be amazing and he and Bayonetta are equally amazing. I disagree with the notion that guest characters have to have history with Nintendo to be in Smash.
Well that's just a personal opinion of mine.
I'd prefer characters have some legacy attached to them then just be an on-the-moment what's popular in 20XX before whatever next popular thing overtakes it and the previous falls into obscurity.
Like Dovahkiin, despite my personal gripes with his game, did kickstart the whole "open-world" craze like no other. Same with Steve and Minecraft.

Tracer? Tracer's just Blizzard's take on the arena shooter genre, when they themselves have already pioneered the RTS genre and the MMO genre like no other franchise has ever even gotten close to doing.

If you want to go with an arena FPS rep, at this point, I'd rather take the Scout from TF2. Or hell, go even more old-school and pick up the Ranger from Quake.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
So, I know the classic modes of Ness, Pit, Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu are references to fights and characters from that series, but what are the specific references of anyone knows?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I was away from my computer when the trailer started, so I showed up right around the time Yusuke was like "have you already sent a calling card?"

I immediately unplugged my headphones from my computer so I could hear what was happening right away, and then when that Smash logo showed up on the envelope. I screamed. And continued to scream for about 5 minutes.

In the end, I screamed so much I actually ended up hurting my throat. Heheh.
I screamed so hard I woke my parents up lol.

They weren't happy with me the next day to say the least, but it's okay because I got Joker.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah but those avatar characters are from games where they’re on screen most of the time. Not so much with first-person games.
Funnily enough...
Doomguy is one of the rare FPS characters that does have expressions that you can see in gameplay

He's also one of the rare FPS characters with a discernable personality despite his silence.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Earlier people were saying that any video game character no matter the importance can make it to smash and i was seeing how long they would stay by is but i gess Thanos is not really a vido game character
I mean
Yeah
He isn't

We mean characters who originated from video games

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Well that's just a personal opinion of mine.
I'd prefer characters have some legacy attached to them then just be an on-the-moment what's popular in 20XX before whatever next popular thing overtakes it and the previous falls into obscurity.
Like Dovahkiin, despite my personal gripes with his game, did kickstart the whole "open-world" craze like no other. Same with Steve and Minecraft.

Tracer? Tracer's just Blizzard's take on the arena shooter genre, when they themselves have already pioneered the RTS genre and the MMO genre like no other franchise has ever even gotten close to doing.

If you want to go with an arena FPS rep, at this point, I'd rather take the Scout from TF2. Or hell, go even more old-school and pick up the Ranger from Quake.
Tracer/Overwatch is not an in-the-moment fad that will fall into obscurity any time soon.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I completely just realized we didn't have any 3rd party Mii costumes in the base game of Smash 4 either. So that's giving me hope they're eventually re-adding some of that stuff along with some new costumes. Even if we have to buy them all over again.

I at least want the Tails and Knuckles costumes back.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
My one month begins now. I hope you're happy. Why do I hate myself so much?

Also, I'm loving ultimate! King K Rool is even more fun than I thought he'd be!! :D

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So, I know the classic modes of Ness, Pit, Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu are references to fights and characters from that series, but what are the specific references of anyone knows?
Mega Man’s and Ryu’s should be obvious from the song choices, and I’ll have to look back into Earthbound to speak for Ness

As for everyone else as far as I can gather:
:ultdarksamus:-I don’t know yet
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr:-Twinbellows?
:ultganondorf:-Magnus
:ultbayonetta:-I’m gonna say Medusa
:ultfox:-Tails
:ultfalcon:-Speed, just speed in general
Metal :ultsonic:-Chaos
Three:ultkirby:-I guess Sonic Heroes in general
:ultsheik:-Shahra (Secret Rings)
:ultincineroar:-Zavok (

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I already asked this but it got buried in controversy but can you use a 3DS as a controller?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Mega Man’s and Ryu’s should be obvious from the song choices, and I’ll have to look back into Earthbound to speak for Ness

As for everyone else as far as I can gather:
:ultdarksamus:-I don’t know yet
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr:-Twinbellows?
:ultganondorf:-Magnus
:ultbayonetta:-I’m gonna say Medusa
:ultfox:-Tails
:ultfalcon:-Speed, just speed in general
Metal :ultsonic:-Chaos
Three:ultkirby:-I guess Sonic Heroes in general
:ultsheik:-Shahra (Secret Rings)
:ultincineroar:-Zavok (
Metal Sonic = Chaos?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
How many sales do you guys think Ultimate will get in its first month?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Metal Sonic = Chaos?
Because of Fourside representing Station Square and “Open Your Heart” being played (Also confirmed on Smashwiki)

I'd say Dark Lord Goal, who wears armor and also floats around.
Maybe, though it’s weird she’d be the first opponent as well as before Magnus

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
The final battle of Megaman’s classic mode is a reference to the final boss of Megaman 2.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh boy

The theory is that...

There's 3 missing slots in the music menu.

What this may be potentially implying, is that there will be 3 new franchises added to the game.
Not third parties necessarily-went and edited that.

I'd bin this, except...Nintendo and Sakurai is totally fine with hiding this stuff right in plain sight. Remember the box theory?

So...give it some thought.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh boy

The theory is that...

There's 3 missing slots in the music menu.

What this may be potentially implying, is that there will be 3 new franchises added to the game.
Not third parties necessarily-went and edited that.

I'd bin this, except...Nintendo and Sakurai is totally fine with hiding this stuff right in plain sight. Remember the box theory?

So...give it some thought.
That's possible, I guess. 3 out of 5 fighter pass characters bringing new franchises sounds plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom