• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
*Old man voice*

Back in my day, for those of us who didn't have friends or extra controllers, we had to leave our Gamecubes on for almost an entire day just to unlock ONE characters.

You young'uns don't know how good you have it.
What made this worse for me was that I had the bad luck of having to do that requirement twice within the same week since my save data got deleted. Compared to that, the unlock methods of 'Beat Classic mode with character X' or 'play WoL' are a walk in the park by comparison.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's a kirby star allies spoiler without context for the heck of it. Don't click if you want spoiled
Speaking of star allies, man it annoys me that you have to unlock the ability free-space. I completely understand why, it’s cause they don’t want you always having access to certain abilities and want you to experience getting new ones all by your own. But it’s annoying when you just want to try out a dream friend’s moveset and it feels like there’s nowhere to test it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I guess people like me are in the minority now. I don't like having everything handed to me from the start, and unlocking characters has always been something I enjoyed. However, with a roster of more than 75 characters and a heavy emphasis on competitive play, I guess those days are over.

Regardless, I'll be one of the few to continue supporting locked characters. It's fun, it's addicting, and it gives me an extra incentive to keep playing.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Can't it work both ways? :confused:

I'm so glad this roster of over 70 characters is unlocked from the beginning. I was so worried that I would actually have to do stuff, but I'm so glad that's not the case anymore! Classic Mode? World of Light? VERSUS MATCHES??? Why would I ever want to do those? No one should be expected to actually play the game just to unlock the roster!
i wouldn't have as much of a beef with this if this was actually, you know, streamlined

when the best/quickest way to unlock characters is literally closing and opening the game, why not just include a cheat code? that way peeps that want to take their time can and TO's and whatnot aren't pressured.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Who are you guys going to be maining when we start out with the original 8? I'm going to be shortly maining DK. :)

It depends on the game to me.

As said, I play WWE games. I play WWE games specifically to make my own characters. The unlock system in that game is a tedious virtual currency system usually locked behind modes and gameplay that aren't really a ton of fun. Because I want all the entrance and clothing parts immediately, I buy the $1 unlock everything DLC on day one. So I get the merit of wanting that.

But like...Smash isn't a tedious game. It has a whole ton of modes to try and a ton of characters to enjoy. You play the game as gaming all stars to unlock more gaming all stars. It's all been part of the excitement to me. I've been avoiding who unlocks who because I'm looking forward to having fun in classic mode for an hour and unlocking someone before bed. Then I can get all excited about playing the new character in the morning.

I dunno, man. I guess an Unlock Everything DLC (or cheat code if we go way back) is cool and I fully admit in a lot of older games I usually enter the Unlock Everything codes ASAP when I can but that's because I'm looking for a quick experience with them, not a game I can sink hours into like with Smash.
I have good memories with the THQ Xbox 360 WWE games. I remember creating video game and anime characters in CAW mode and then uploading them to the community.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I guess people like me are in the minority now. I don't like having everything handed to me from the start, and unlocking characters has always been something I enjoyed. However, with a roster of more than 75 characters and a heavy emphasis on competitive play, I guess those days are over.

Regardless, I'll be one of the few to continue supporting locked characters. It's fun, it's addicting, and it gives me an extra incentive to keep playing.
My issue with this is less having to unlock characters but that this extra requirement is kind of senseless and meant to do nothing but make it take longer for the sake of it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
i wouldn't have as much of a beef with this if this was actually, you know, streamlined

when the best/quickest way to unlock characters is literally closing and opening the game, why not just include a cheat code? that way peeps that want to take their time can and TO's and whatnot aren't pressured.
>Play classic mode for 5 min
>Oh **** you unlock a characters everytime you do that!
>Every once and a while you can just do a Versus match, every 10 min just to unlock someone
>Every 2 classic mode you can get 3 characters
>Playing the game is too much of a assle to unlock characters

I'm confused, you will basically unlock a characters VEEEERY quickly, I was watching a streams, guys got every characters by doing classic and VS in like 3-4 hours.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I'm with you on this one. While I get that competitive players and the like will want to start labbing from day one, there's got to be at least a part of everybody that enjoys the unlocking of all the characters. I mean, I'm hosting a party Friday (Dec.7th) evening where almost 20 people (myself and my gf included) will be ready to play.

Getting this game at midnight at a Gamestop about 20 minutes away from my house means I probably won't be home until 12:30ish, and there's no way I'm going to be able to sleep while having this game in my possession. So i'll probably play for a few hours and then pass out, then go right back at it when I wake up in the morning. It's going to be a challenge for me to unlock the whole roster before friends start coming over at around 4-5pm. I could cheat my way through and unlock a character, then back out to the title screen and do it again, but I want the experience that every other Smash game has given me.

I'm probably going to start with a match as Mario as I've always done, unlock the character that follows, then play Classic as Mario to get Sonic, then play as Link to get K.Rool, play a round to unlock somebody again, then play as Samus, then as Dark Samus...it's going to be a good time for me on Friday night.

Now it just needs to be Friday, and I'm set.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

While similar to Vaan, I am not a fan of unlocking characters in a multiplayer game, my problem more lays in here:

My issue with this is less having to unlock characters but that this extra requirement is kind of senseless and meant to do nothing but make it take longer for the sake of it.
like I joke about Subspace Emissary a lot but at least Subspace Emissary was a foolproof way to unlock all the characters without turning the game on and off.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Honestly I'd gladly pay like five bucks to have everyone unlocked from the start. I wanna try the new characters asap
That'd be such a scummy, yet genius way of making easy money...
Nintendo has made some controversial decisions in the past, but they'd never stoop that low...
At least, I hope

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

Oh yeah I definitely agree that a cheat code should be an option, would be a neat little thing if doing the Konami Code unlocked the whole roster or something LOL

And I can see how 66 characters is A LOT, especially to those who already don't like unlocking things. But I think unlockable characters are cool and nifty and seeing them go would be a shame. If you start off with everyone I'd find it hard to go through modes like Classic.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
what the heck is up with this unlock method.

11 hours.

11 hours.

they said streamlined.

this is anything but streamlined.
Wait, was this thread not aware of the exploit that allows you to unlock characters within 1.5 hours, or was that a lie?

Are you guys all really just now finding out about the 10 minute limit? Haven't we known this for a few days already?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
There's also a lot of nostalgia attached to it.

For people that grew up with 64 or Melee, unlocking the characters was one of the most exciting things.

I remember getting into a fight with Marth and was thinking "Who the heck is this?!"
I remember reading in Expert Gamer magazine about Ness and Captain Falcon and having no clue who they were. I kept wondering what stages you'd have to fight on and getting super excited when I bet my brother this "Captain Falcon" guy would show up on Zebes and getting it right. When we realized his punch was Falcon-shaped we thought it was the coolest thing ever.

During Melee, my friend knew more about Fire Emblem than I did. When they released FE on GBA she was mad because "they changed Roy and Marth's names to Hector and Eliwood!". Of course we later found out that that was obviously completely untrue, but it's fun looking back.

I'm not saying my nostalgia should outweigh people's desires or critiques but I do think it's important to consider the whole package and such.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That'd be such a scummy way of making easy money...
Nintendo has made some stupid decisions in the past, but they'd never stoop that low...
At least, I hope
Lmao how is it "scummy"? Let me have everyone from the start. Unlocking 66 characters is tiring

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now I see what this is all about. You guys do realize you can still unlock characters through a number of Vs. Matches and World of Light right? Why the complaints about this distance thing in Classic Mode. I'd love to unlock my boi :ultkrool:right away but I ain't gonna complain as I'll get him eventually.

Tip of advice. Fast way of doing Vs. Mode is Stamina putting CPUs or such at 1%. There simply as that.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
>Play classic mode for 5 min
>Oh **** you unlock a characters everytime you do that!
>Every once and a while you can just do a Versus match, every 10 min just to unlock someone
>Every 2 classic mode you can get 3 characters
>Playing the game is too much of a assle to unlock characters

I'm confused, you will basically unlock a characters VEEEERY quickly, I was watching a streams, guys got every characters by doing classic and VS in like 3-4 hours.
so if i just keep running classic mode with all of the characters i'll get everyone in 3-4 hours?

if so, that's streamlined. All I want when it comes to streamlined is completing a mode getting me all of them because I'm bound to complete a mode anyways.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Lmao how is it "scummy"? Let me have everyone from the start. Unlocking 66 characters is tiring
Because then they made the conscious decision to have 66 characters as secret, but then at the same time offer a payment method to bypass all that.

Could easily be seen as exploiting impatient people's lack of patience ;)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sheesh, what happened to the days when people were thilled when they unlocked everything because they could go brag to their friends? Now everyone wants everything unlocked immediately.

Where's the sense of accomplishment in that?
When I unlocked everything (that was worth unlocking) in Super Smash Bros. Brawl within the weekend of it's release I was the talk of the School Yard.

Can't get that kind of respect if everything is already unlocked for you.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You know what? **** it, keep defending your ****ing king Ultimate. Glad to know I can't complain about something that bugs me.
10/10 best Official comeback

You're more than allowed to complain about trivial things but if it's trivial people will say so

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're basically paying for a cheat code
It's not really a big deal, honestly. People play games the way they want to. The only bad thing is when you force others to play it your way entirely.

Cheat devices were never a bad thing. People are just enjoying the game their own way. Sometimes it helps frustration levels.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
so if i just keep running classic mode with all of the characters i'll get everyone in 3-4 hours?

if so, that's streamlined. All I want when it comes to streamlined is completing a mode getting me all of them because I'm bound to complete a mode anyways.
Yes, all characters are unlockable in classic mode. And apparently, it also stack up with the timer thingy. So you will unlock everyone REALLY quickly.

D

Deleted member

Distance thing is dumb though. It’s not even a big deal, it’s just like, why implement it in the first place?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Distance thing is dumb though. It’s not even a big deal, it’s just like, why implement it in the first place?
Do you people still ignore Vs. Matches (Especially putting CPUs at 1% in Stamina) and World of Light? I think this distance thing is only restricted to Classic Mode.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Probably because they want you to take the time to use some characters you normally wouldn't use otherwise...
Makes perfect sense to me, honestly

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you people still ignore Vs. Matches (Especially putting CPUs at 1% in Stamina) and World of Light? I think this distance thing is only restricted to Classic Mode.
Probably because they want you to take the time to use some characters you normally wouldn't use otherwise...
Makes perfect sense to me, honestly
I’d get that, but the 10 min timer already kinda encourages that, and apparently the distance limit is super small anyway. I just don’t see the point.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It's not restricted to just Classic; it's everything
That's the reason why they implemented this.
So that you wouldn't be able to do that all the time.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not a huge fan of having to unlock 66 characters, but at least it means that the single player content will feel more meaningful than Smash 4. I can't remember how many characters were unlockable in Smash for Wii U, but I'm pretty sure it was less than ten, so once all of them were unlocked, trips through Classic and All-Star modes felt like a slog.

At least here, there's going to be something pushing me forward, even if it means that I'll have to wait a while to play as Snake, Ridley, K. Rool, Bayonetta, etc.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Unlocking characters will require you to move a certain distance it seems...
Sorry peeps the vs mode flower with 1hp trick is now officially R.I.P

They even remembered the reset trick you have to walk a distance total as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom