• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I like unlocking characters. I grew up playing Melee with my older brother and it was fun unlocking things.

I do understand that it can be tedious to some people though, especially with 66 characters to unlock.

I guess it's just a personal thing. I got a whole weekend to burn playing Ultimate, so I'm content with the amount of stuff I get to do.

Also, praise be to the Smash devs for making CPUs good. Smash 4's were way too perfect in certain areas. Most of these CPUs I've seen play like actual people, so the void in my soul for not having any friends (that play Smash) will be filled.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Whoa day one patch confirms adding lets go pikachu and eevee spirits?

This real?
Yes. We're getting Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee spirits (if you have the specific game) w/ a Day 1 patch.
They will be available later on though w/o needing a copy of Let's Go.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Whoa day one patch confirms adding lets go pikachu and eevee spirits?

This real?
Damn. Even the day one patch has been pirated. You guys are cold.

I’ve heard mixed information about this, but are you going to be able to do all of the paths in World of Light? Or do the paths permanently lock off when you pick one?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

I’ve heard mixed information about this, but are you going to be able to do all of the paths in World of Light? Or do the paths permanently lock off when you pick one?
Is the patch pirating a joke or something

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Has anyone thought about what will happen here if the first DLC character DOESN'T show up at the game awards?
honestly this is to be expected... i think that the only reason that we are expecting it's announcments is due to leakers and the small reggie teaser. But really the teaser could be from a character announcment to a announcment of a day one patch dlc that adds new modes (some of teh names were datamined) so, while is good to be optimistic I don't think that a DLC announcment is 100% confirmed in VGA awards

Regarding Unlocks.
Yes we need an easy way, maybe a free dlc?
I mean.. i actually like the unlocks system and unlocking things the traditional way will be fun.

But i don't think it will be as fun for a TO to do it for every switch they are going to use ._.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

I think when one is chosen, the other 2 are blocked until that path is completed.

I don't anything concrete on that though, so take it w/ a grain of salt.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Man, I find it so frustrating that the way to unlock Snake through classic is with Meta Knight, but there's no indication as to what unlocks Meta Knight through Classic...

I REALLY hope my only hope of getting Snake isn’t largely going though WoL. It's not that I don't want to play it, but I'd really like to get Snake relatively quickly.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think when one is chosen, the other 2 are blocked until that path is completed.

I don't anything concrete on that though, so take it w/ a grain of salt.
Ok. That makes sense. I hope it’s not to difficult. Like, with Subspace Emissary you had a difficulty select. I’m not interested in a grind fest. I especially hope that that skill tree applies to every character universally and that each one doesn’t level up separately. I do not want to have to do the whole mode as Kirby just because he’s your first starter and he’s the one that levels up most.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So... does anybody know if there will be a character or two that will always be the first ones you unlock no matter what method you do at first?
I know the first five I plan to unlock in Classic are King K Rool, Isabelle, Pichu, Lucario, and Bowser Jr

I still wanna know how to get Zelda in Classic mode

D

Deleted member

IIRC, didn't someone make a spreadsheet on which characters you need to use to unlock other characters?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I think some of you guys are a little too harsh on people that don’t like the way Ultimate seems to be going with unlocks. I used to be pro unlocking characters. I liked the idea that for some of the roster, you have to work a bit more like complete a certain challenge, or play a certain character, and have the unlockable be in the spotlight a bit.

But that’s for some of the roster. The problem here is that unlike previous games where they give an extended cast of characters to work with. Ultimate limits you with just 8. It’s a nice verture, but at least with prior games you could at least start off the game and go in a match with a greater chance that any characters you may be interested in are already available. Here, if you don’t like any of the original 8, you’re going to be out of luck for a while.

And this is where it starts to become more of a grind, since now you have the siren go on for 60+ fighters... and it’s all randomized. If there was another thing I liked about unlocking characters, it was the criteria to unlock them. I think Smash 4 did it best since since I liked how some of the unlocks had you needing to play as Link to get Ganondorf, Marth to get Lucina, etc. It at least gave me some idea of how I’m going to unlock someone and expect it, and in the end, it was pretty neat. But with Ultimate, you need Link to get King K. Rool? And it goes even more wacko from there.

The way Ultimate is taking unlocks looks tedious more than anything since the order of unlocking characters seems random and it ends up being more of crossing your fingers and hope for the best sort of situation. I would’ve enjoyed it if we had at least 30 characters, and the requirements for some of the unlocks are reasonable like “using X character to unlock character related to X”. But the roster looks weird with just 8 peeps and no clue on when the others show up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope, but it’s getting there. It updates quite often. I would suggest favoriting that page so you can keep up to date on it.
Got it.

Some of the unlock methods seem weird. Use Luigi to unlock Ike? Use Isabelle to unlock Pichu? That doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Am I late in finding out that the final boss for some characters in Classic are just other characters?

Iridium

Smash Hero

Crowd: "Chrom! Chrom! He's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!"

Except for recovering.

D

Deleted member

Almost all the unlocks make no sense.

But they’re specific, for some weird reason.
Guess Sakurai wanted people to actually play World of Light, so he made the outside unlock methods really specific? That's the only thing I can think of.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Crowd: "Chrom! Chrom! He's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!"

Except for recovering.
Watching this Chrom player pisses me off because we see
>No N-air strings
>No Up-air strings
>Barely any combo
It's VERY frustrating, especially after watching more "suited" matches :drflip:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Guess I'm one of the people who actually likes the inclusion of the 10 minute timer.
Well, you're definitely not old, nor are you cranky, okay? :)
Are you sure about that?

Because you see, when Flyboy removes his mask...
1543721643196.png

BAM!
Flyboy Flyboy Exposed!

D

Deleted member

MOTHER****, I JUST GOT OFF WORK AND NATEDRAKE OR SPAWN PROBABLY TEASED SOMETHING FOR THE VGAS.

Sorry gang for the late notification. Here's a spare link when the VOD goes up.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You guys are overthinking this.

I'm just gonna play through World of Light. Then beat Classic with everyone I can. By the time that's done, I'll probably only be missing a couple characters and I can just let them unlock themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom