• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
*Old man voice*

Back in my day, for those of us who didn't have friends or extra controllers, we had to leave our Gamecubes on for almost an entire day just to unlock ONE characters.

You young'uns don't know how good you have it.

D

Deleted member

Man it feels like that ‘People only buy the game to stare at the select screen’ joke is more real than I’d like to admit.
For the record, I do understand the complaints, but I think they’re a tad overblown.

D

Deleted member

Okay. We've got six to seven days left until Ultimate releases. I can do this.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
*Old man voice*

Back in my day, for those of us who didn't have friends or extra controllers, we had to leave our Gamecubes on for almost an entire day just to unlock ONE characters.

And we didn't have cloud saves. If our memory card ****ed up we were equally as ****ed!

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
*Old man voice*

We dont even HAVE to unlock stages this time! It is kind of sad, and a little weird to start of with 103 stages, but 8 characters.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Look, you wanna know why I don't like the unlock thing? I'm 16 years old. I go to high school 6 hours a day, and I only have 3 hours of privacy time. It will take months to unlock everything. Before you mention summer vacation, I'm usually busy around then too.
Just enjoy the actual matches, and before you know it, you'll have so much fun, that you'll forget about unlocking characters as your main goal...
Get some friends or family members to just play some VS Matches with you...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
*Old man voice*

****ing too right.

Leave the GameCube on for twenty hours and don't let your parents turn it off because it didn't save if you didn't quit the match! Pray it didn't overheat or get bumped! And if you were one of those kids who couldn't afford a memory card? Have fun unlocking everyone every single time!

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
The unlocking isn’t going to be that long, just do a match or two on Classic Mode or play bits of Adventure when you have the time and you’ll get it them.

D

Deleted member

I’m kinda glad that most of the roster is unlocked now. I remember feeling like there were so many characters in smash 4 and to a lesser extent brawl that it felt like I was too overwhelmed to actually try out everyone properly. This new unlock stuff kinda remedies that a bit.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Oh btw spoilers

There was a problem fetching the tweet
New game + confirmed

Flyboy

Smash Hero
We dont even HAVE to unlock stages this time! It is kind of sad, and a little weird to start of with 103 stages, but 8 characters.
God, the days of unlocking characters and then doing something you couldn't even replicate just to randomly unlock 75m or Hanenbow.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to try and get my family members to play me in Ultimate. I might body them though, seeing as how they've never played a Smash game ever lol.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thinking about the unlock..will we have to unlock dlc characters?
Yes, we will. We will start out with the original 8 and then unlock everybody else from there.

Edit: Oops... my bad. I didn't see you put DLC in that post. To answer your question, no we don't have to unlock the DLC characters. They will automatically be unlocked in the game after you buy them.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm so glad there's lots of character unlocks to give me an artificial sense of progression, because I can't feel accomplishment any other way than by having the full roster locked off from me until I complete an arbitrary single player task and beat 65 easy CPU challengers.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
God, the days of unlocking characters and then doing something you couldn't even replicate just to randomly unlock 75m or Hanenbow.
Don't forget we had to play Smash Tour a handful of times to get Pac-Land.

Literally gave us **** for playing ****!

Shroob

Sup?
Survive 15 minute Mult-man melee just to unlock a single stage.

Hope your hand doesn't cramp while holding Down+B on DK, and you couldn't even automize it out of fear a random Wire-Frame would hit you.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Sheesh, what happened to the days when people were thilled when they unlocked everything because they could go brag to their friends? Now everyone wants everything unlocked immediately.

Where's the sense of accomplishment in that?
A lot of people don't find being forced to use characters they don't like for hours at a time to get at the ones they do want to be fun. It becomes less accomplishment and more a tedious grind to get to a point in the game where they get to play the character they want.
Past that a lot of the fun in the earlier days was not knowing who was going to unlock, it was a surprise when you started unlocking characters, which even if they didn't reveal all the characters this time around would likely not be a surprise due to how widespread info can be on the internet.

Even past that this extra requirement is completely arbitrary, it doesn't challenge the player in any real way so it's not like it actually adds anything to the process for us outside making it a little bit more annoying to unlock the characters outside of WoL or classic.

What's to even brag about here? It's not like you have to do some challenge to get the characters. Just do what you normally would with another random requirement tacked on and you will have everyone regardless after a while. That's kind of the problem here.

People were fine with WoL unlocks and classic while awkward was considered good, even the ten minute timer was considered alright. But this requirement just feels like an arbitrary thing that doesn't actually add any actual challenge or nuance to the process while adding a bit more tedium. It feels superfluous and the defenses of "but effort!" and "but accomplishment!" kind of fall flat as no additional effort is really needed for this and thus feeling more accomplished over it would be silly to begin with.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Yeah, honestly I'd rather have like half the roster unlocked w/ half the stages unlocked rather than it being skewed towards one or the other.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I’m kinda glad that most of the roster is unlocked now. I remember feeling like there were so many characters in smash 4 and to a lesser extent brawl that it felt like I was too overwhelmed to actually try out everyone properly. This new unlock stuff kinda remedies that a bit.
And I think that's what sells it for me. I never had time to actually play people in Smash 4 because I kept unlocking people and so many people were already unlocked. Now I can go through each classic one by one and then have an extra person to try out at the end.

It's all about the Switch's philosophy of rewarding short bursts of play and as someone who only gets the chance to play in short bursts thanks to having a full time job and debilitating mental problems that **** my focus up for extended periods of time I super super appreciate this.

D

Deleted member

*Old man voice*

I actually have fond memories of leaving the game on overnight to get Mewtwo in the morning.

Especially since Mewtwo was the biggest reason I got hooked on Melee in the first place when I saw him at a friend's house.

It felt almost like waiting for Christmas morning or my birthday.
You know, back when that sort of thing was really exciting as a kid. :p

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Look, you wanna know why I don't like the unlock thing? I'm 16 years old. I go to high school 6 hours a day, and I only have 3 hours of privacy time. It will take months to unlock everything. Before you mention summer vacation, I'm usually busy around then too.
My dear child, you dont even know what busy is yet. And I say that in a genuinely nice way. Wait till you get to college, then work life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as I’m joking about the unlock stuff, I think the complaints are valid. Some people just want to get to their main right away or try out everyone’s immediately, and unlocking can be seen as tedious. It does all come down to preference in the end.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The way I see it is this. In general, I'd prefer if all characters were available from the start.

BUT

Considering how wonderfully they've implemented Classic Mode unlocks, with branching unlock paths and each Classic Mode being unique, I think it's nifty. Plus it's an easy way to get the "Do Classic with Everyone" achievement that always shows up.

Also as soon as I get Ultimate, I'm doing Yoshi's Classic Mode twice to get Chrom. :p

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm a full-time nursing student who works three 12-hour shifts at a hospital, and I'm still excited about unlocking everything.

I get that everyone is different, but you're exaggerating how long this will take you. Even if you only play 30 minutes a day, you should still have everything unlocked in less than a month by playing WoL.

A lot of people don't find being forced to use characters they don't like for hours at a time to get at the ones they do want to be fun. It becomes less accomplishment and more a tedious grind to get to a point in the game where they get to play the character they want.
Past that a lot of the fun in the earlier days was not knowing who was going to unlock, it was a surprise when you started unlocking characters, which even if they didn't reveal all the characters this time around would likely not be a surprise due to how widespread info can be on the internet.

Even past that this extra requirement is completely arbitrary, it doesn't challenge the player in any real way so it's not like it actually adds anything to the process for us outside making it a little bit more annoying to unlock the characters outside of WoL or classic.

What's to even brag about here? It's not like you have to do some challenge to get the characters. Just do what you normally would with another random requirement tacked on and you will have everyone regardless after a while. That's kind of the problem here.

People were fine with WoL unlocks and classic while awkward was considered good, even the ten minute timer was considered alright. But this requirement just feels like an arbitrary thing that doesn't actually add any actual challenge or nuance to the process while adding a bit more tedium. It feels superfluous and the defenses of "but effort!" and "but accomplishment!" kind of fall flat as no additional effort is really needed for this and thus feeling more accomplished over it would be silly to begin with.
Well, some people view things differently. For me, I'm excited that Ridley and Rosalina are locked (extra incentive to play the game), and I look forward to the challenge of relying on characters I'm not used to playing with to unlock the ones I really want.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm so glad there's lots of character unlocks to give me an artificial sense of progression, because I can't feel accomplishment any other way than by having the full roster locked off from me until I complete an arbitrary single player task and beat 65 easy CPU challengers.
Can't it work both ways? :confused:

I'm so glad this roster of over 70 characters is unlocked from the beginning. I was so worried that I would actually have to do stuff, but I'm so glad that's not the case anymore! Classic Mode? World of Light? VERSUS MATCHES??? Why would I ever want to do those? No one should be expected to actually play the game just to unlock the roster!

Shroob

Sup?
There's also a lot of nostalgia attached to it.

For people that grew up with 64 or Melee, unlocking the characters was one of the most exciting things.

I remember getting into a fight with Marth and was thinking "Who the heck is this?!"

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Honestly I'd gladly pay like five bucks to have everyone unlocked from the start. I wanna try the new characters asap

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
*Old man voice*

It was such a ****ing dumb unlock method, but for some reason I liked it. It was just interesting to me that I had to leave my GameCube on for a full day just to have a chance to unlock Mewtwo. Because that's another thing people forget. Even when you meet the unlock criteria for a Smash character, nothing's guaranteed because you still have to fight them.

Man, when my 20 hours were up and I quit out of that match, my heart was beatin' a million miles an hour because I thought if I failed the unlock battle, I'd have to leave my Cube on for ANOTHER 20 hours.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Honestly, just find out how to unlock your mains (like Bayo and Marth for me) and plan the easiest way to unlock them, play the s*** out of your main as new characters to show up and things should be decent. Don't worry too much about unlocking everyone at once.

I can just play Mario classic for Sonic, then play Sonic classic for Bayonetta, then I can unlock Marth from WoL easily. From there, I can do whatever I feel like and slowly unlock new character.

D

Deleted member

I have a solution to the unlock debate. Hear me out here.
What if the game had all the characters unlocked from the start, but to actually get the game you have to unlock it by doing 5 hours of manual labour. See, everybody wins!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Too me, I feel like there's barely any purpose to play through any of the modes at first if you don't have a good chunk of the characters locked in the game.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Here's a kirby star allies spoiler without context for the heck of it. Don't click if you want spoiled
no context.png

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As much as I’m joking about the unlock stuff, I think the complaints are valid. Some people just want to get to their main right away or try out everyone’s immediately, and unlocking can be seen as tedious. It does all come down to preference in the end.
It depends on the game to me.

As said, I play WWE games. I play WWE games specifically to make my own characters. The unlock system in that game is a tedious virtual currency system usually locked behind modes and gameplay that aren't really a ton of fun. Because I want all the entrance and clothing parts immediately, I buy the $1 unlock everything DLC on day one. So I get the merit of wanting that.

But like...Smash isn't a tedious game. It has a whole ton of modes to try and a ton of characters to enjoy. You play the game as gaming all stars to unlock more gaming all stars. It's all been part of the excitement to me. I've been avoiding who unlocks who because I'm looking forward to having fun in classic mode for an hour and unlocking someone before bed. Then I can get all excited about playing the new character in the morning.

I dunno, man. I guess an Unlock Everything DLC (or cheat code if we go way back) is cool and I fully admit in a lot of older games I usually enter the Unlock Everything codes ASAP when I can but that's because I'm looking for a quick experience with them, not a game I can sink hours into like with Smash.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
My only disappointment about the character unlocks is you cant use your amiibo to unlock them. I think it would have been neat, and fit into the theme of Smash Bros.

"Yeah, all the toys are fighting eachother, so I BROUGHT MY OWN".

I will just have to figure out the best route to get Mewtwo, Ridley and Palutena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom