• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
And then you make it worse by complicating things for people who want a specific character (RIP Palutena mains).
What's specifically bad about unlocking Palutena? I thought most unlocks were random aside from WoL but I'm probably behind and incorrect :laugh:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What's specifically bad about unlocking Palutena? I thought most unlocks were random aside from WoL but I'm probably behind and incorrect :laugh:
There's a priority list and in classic mode some character unlock specifically from other classic modes.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Guess I'm going back to the day 1 plan of bum-rushing WoL's bazillion spirits battles.
That or whatever the hell classic mode's chaining system is.

Hopefully the AI sucks because I don't want to be stuck dealing with an ubercharged Incineroar Machamp spirit battle.
Classic is honestly your best bet if you want every character decently quickly.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Mario was first. Not Kirby. Also why???????
I said Kirby because he's the sole survivor of WoL. But I enjoy unlocking characters because it feels really rewarding and adds more time to the game. It gives you something to do when 60 characters need to be unlocked, and seeing the roster grow bit by bit is satisfying. I'm hoping the unlocks are random because then it'll be kind of like a surprise!! :laugh:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The orders aren't random... at all.
Everything is in a set order.
Palutena is the last character unlocked through VS.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God seriously.

Just play the game, dudes. It's how it's been. Unlocking things can be fun. Just give it a go.
Like, look, I get wanting an Unlock All option. I play WWE games for God's sake and I always buy the Accelerator so I can get to CAW making with all the parts, but at the same time this is so much more streamlined than other games with unlocks. Play a few matches, beat a few classic modes, get the people and learn some stuff along the way.

I dunno man.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I said Kirby because he's the sole survivor of WoL. But I enjoy unlocking characters because it feels really rewarding and adds more time to the game. It gives you something to do when 60 characters need to be unlocked, and seeing the roster grow bit by bit is satisfying. I'm hoping the unlocks are random because then it'll be kind of like a surprise!! :laugh:
It's take much longer. Also, some people don't like playing as Kirby just to unlock the classic 8. I'm cool with WOL and all, but not outside of it.
- A Kirby main.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
God seriously.

Just play the game, dudes. It's how it's been. Unlocking things can be fun. Just give it a go.
The amount of salt about having to unlock things that will be done after the first week is asinine. After that you'll have a good 6-9 years with the full unlocked roster.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Palutena tmk is the very last unlock going by the matches played method. Not sure about the other unlock routes but I don't recall her being too fast to get to there either.

On the topic of this requirement it honestly just feels arbitrary to me. The unlocks for the most part already feel kind of random and convoluted with everything else and the timer, I don't get why the distance requirement is even needed outside making it more convoluted for no real reason.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The amount of salt about having to unlock things that will be done after the first week is asinine. After that you'll have a good 6-9 years with the full unlocked roster.
And that's a nice lifespan.

People had to leave the game on for twenty hours in Melee to unlock Mewtwo. You had to beat Adventure Mode at exactly a certain time and difficulty to fight Giga Bowser. Etc etc. This is ****ing stupid.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
God seriously.

I don't think the timer/distance lock method is bad for unlocks.

The real problem for most people is that we have to unlock 66 characters to get to the full roster.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
So apparently having save data in Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee allows you to get these two spirits.

Let's Go Spirits.jpg

D

Deleted member

6-9 years? Huh, just realised that we’re probably gonna be waiting a long-ass time for the next smash game. Probability until like, 2025. Man that year feels so distant.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
You heard it here, apparently it's salt for wanting an actual good method of unlocking that doesn't require distance. Distance doesn't even mean effort, it's just tedious. And again:
https://okaycool.ca/2018/06/16/super-smash-bros-ultimate-unlocking-characters-adds-more-purpose/
we’ve streamlined the conditions for unlocking fighters and we want to make the process interesting so it feels like you are constantly recruiting popular characters to your side.
Explain how this unlock method is streamlined

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think the timer/distance lock method is bad for unlocks.

The real problem for most people is that we have to unlock 66 characters to get to the full roster.
I guess to me it's all part of the fun. Unlocking people in Smash 64 and Melee was hype as ****. We've known this to be the case since day one, that we would constantly be running into characters via the unlock feature. I'd rather "play the game and constantly get characters" over "beat classic mode on very hard or **** you".

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Ok now that I’ve calmed down a bit, at least this mechanic shouldn’t get in the way of unlocking characters in Classic which is what I plan to do to get Ridley and K. Rool but I did plan on getting everyone else quickly through VS. Oh well, guess it gives me time to lab and test out the croc and dragon but the mechanic still makes my blood boil a bit.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You heard it here, apparently it's salt for wanting an actual good method of unlocking that doesn't require distance. Distance doesn't even mean effort, it's just tedious. And again:
https://okaycool.ca/2018/06/16/super-smash-bros-ultimate-unlocking-characters-adds-more-purpose/
we’ve streamlined the conditions for unlocking fighters and we want to make the process interesting so it feels like you are constantly recruiting popular characters to your side.
I PLAY-A THE GAME
I GET-A THE CHARACTER
OHHHH!!!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So apparently having save data in Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee allows you to get these two spirits.

View attachment 180990
Interesting, I wonder if we'll see similar Spirit inclusions happen over the course of DLC since I imagine adding someone like Byleth from Three Houses through this method could be a form of easy promotion for both games.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's not actual distance you walk. Just in-game distance.

Considering nobody noticed it with the ten minute timer without datamining it, it is a minuscule issue.

KMDP

Smash Legend
But, Wyoming!

Unlocking characters requires effort.

Nobody wants to put effort into their video games anymore.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
On a side note, what was it that made you believe the discord guy? Was it who he was, or can you not tell us?
I really didn't believe it at all, at first.

Then Isabelle happened and I was like "Hey Papa, I got this info that might have a shred of credibility."

In the end, it was legit.

D

Deleted member

Why can’t I just pay 20 bucks and unlock all the characters instantly? /s

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The thing is that logic applies to literally every arbitrary in-game timer.
The rest of the game is affected by the previous timers, but when those are in place you're stuck with a gimped version of the game.

No one saying that this is ruining Smash or anything, but it is a pain for the day or 2 you have to deal with them, especially for people that don't have access to their switches a lot of the time.

It's just an unnecessary archaic pain in the neck that doesn't need to exist.
Which is especially telling when the only case made for why it needs to exist is "it's not that bad."

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
It's not actual distance you walk. Just in-game distance.

Considering nobody noticed it with the ten minute timer without datamining it, it is a minuscule issue.
I don't care if it's distance in mid air, it's still annoying, especially for unlocking 60+ characters

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don't care if it's distance in mid air, it's still annoying, especially for unlocking 60+ characters
Not sure how old you are but older games would have eaten you alive.

This is merely time consuming.
...in a multiplayer game that will have a lengthy lifespan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom