• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Not sure how old you are but older games would have eaten you alive.

This is merely time consuming.
...in a multiplayer game that will have a lengthy lifespan.
You know what? **** it, keep defending your ****ing king Ultimate. Glad to know I can't complain about something that bugs me.

Shroob

Sup?
I kinda don't like the idea of content locked behind owning other games, ngl, no matter how minor it is.

If someday I end up getting every.single.spirit in Ultimate, I'll know there's Spirits I don't have due to them being locked behind a 60$ paywall.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not sure how old you are but older games would have eaten you alive.

This is merely time consuming.
...in a multiplayer game that will have a lengthy lifespan.
God I'm about to sound like a cranky old **** but when I was 16 I was all about reflecting projectiles and blasting through Subspace Emmissary and constantly running into and unlocking characters.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
It's not actual distance you walk. Just in-game distance.

Considering nobody noticed it with the ten minute timer without datamining it, it is a minuscule issue.
That’s what I’m realizing now. The mechanic does affect all game modes but it should only be noticeable in VS matches if the distance is small. It shouldn’t be an issue in Classic or WoL I suppose.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Sensing a bit of tension here. Let’s calm down lads.
Well you know what, I Wish I had a right to complain about things that bug me in video games without seven million people telling me I'm wrong. ****ing hate gamers, that's why I don't consider myself one.

D

Deleted member

Oh, you can get the Spirits normally at a later date?

Well that's fine then.
Oh I was going to say that exclusive spirits for buying other games annoys me. If they’re only temporarily limited it’s fine.
What’s interesting though is that this confirms DLC spirits unrelated to the pack can be a thing.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Mind that the tweet also says this
"It will be added to the spirits board in the future, so you will be be able to complete and obtain the theme."
so it's NOT content locked behind other games. Merely something unlocked instantly if you happen to own a game.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
So apparently having save data in Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee allows you to get these two spirits.

View attachment 180990
So does having one file get you both spirits or do you only get the one pertaining to your version? I kind of like this but Im also kind of miffed if Im going to be required to buy a bunch of other outside things to be able to have a complete spirit collection in the game. Games having content absolutely requiring you having to go out and purchase another product to get at is honestly not something Im a fan of

Edit: Looks like my concern was Greninja'd

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sheesh, what happened to the days when people were thilled when they unlocked everything because they could go brag to their friends? Now everyone wants everything unlocked immediately.

Where's the sense of accomplishment in that?

D

Deleted member

God seriously.

Just play the game, dudes. It's how it's been. Unlocking things can be fun. Just give it a go.
This.

People ******** about the time it takes to unlock everyone, and I'm like "....I'm going to be spending most of my video game time playing the game anyway."

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
See, I'm the other guy in that argument. Makoto is the better sister hands down.

Also I feel like this is what our conversations would turn to at times if we didn't have rules and censors and all that. .
I know if this place didnt censor us, this persona convo would be so so so much fun and even more funny

D

Deleted member

Well you know what, I Wish I had a right to complain about things that bug me in video games without seven million people telling me I'm wrong. ****ing hate gamers, that's why I don't consider myself one.
You’re perfectly within your right to complain. I apologise if you feel people are hounding you for your opinions. Just in the same way you can complain however, people can disagree.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Sheesh, what happened to the days when people were thilled when they unlocked everything because they could go brag to their friends? Now everyone wants everything unlocked immediately.

We lost our sense of pride and accomplishment after the Battlefront 2 controversy.
(Being serious and sarcastic at the same time here)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Why do you people leach onto people who get mad so easily?
I'm mostly just baffled at how mad you get at trivial ****. Like maybe it's a generational thing or a personality thing but when I was in high school talking about games via the Internet as you played them was like, fun.
You are not at all a "cranky old ****", I mean, you were only playing Subspace, at the age of 16, after all. :p
I mean, I'm estimating. I'm 27 now. I know I played Brawl in High School because I would check the Dojo every morning at the computer lab with my friend. But I sure feel like a cranky old **** when I get on here and see people ten years younger than me get worked up about really weird stuff. Or when people ask how I was possibly in the speculation scene before Melee as if the internet didn't exist in the year 2000.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
To move away from the topic, I always think this when I hear "Ridley is too big!!":
"You want something too big? Big the ****ing cat is a beach ball, and yet he's able to run fast and use floaties half his weight"

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You know what? **** it, keep defending your ****ing king Ultimate. Glad to know I can't complain about something that bugs me.
Strange reaction.
There's many things Ultimate didn't get right.

However, complaining about this just screams of people being salty that:

a. Their main isn't in the initial roster
b. Have to play the game they like to get stuff in the game they like
c. "Waste" 11 hours/a week unlocking characters in a game that supports cloud saves.

It will take about, what, 23 hours less than Melee to unlock everyone? And that game had about 10 unlockables with most of them being clones.

Untouch

Smash Master
The notable thing about the two spirits is that these spirits at the moment aren't in the game.
Only the Pikachu and Pikachu Libre fighter spirits are.
Spirits can be added post-launch it seems.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I'm estimating. I'm 27 now. I know I played Brawl in High School because I would check the Dojo every morning at the computer lab with my friend. But I sure feel like a cranky old **** when I get on here and see people ten years younger than me get worked up about really weird stuff. Or when people ask how I was possibly in the speculation scene before Melee as if the internet didn't exist in the year 2000.
Get out of here old man. You aren’t hip enough to hang out with us fresh young kids.
ow my back hurts

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone not remember that Melee had the same exact way with if you own Wind Waker, Sunshine, or Pikmin you’ll get a trophy for the games

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Look, you wanna know why I don't like the unlock thing? I'm 16 years old. I go to high school 6 hours a day, and I only have 3 hours of privacy time. It will take months to unlock everything. Before you mention summer vacation, I'm usually busy around then too.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Unlocking Pichu, for me, takes day, yet I have fun with the characters.

I just want to have fun, guys, let's calm down

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, you wanna know why I don't like the unlock thing? I'm 16 years old. I go to high school 6 hours a day, and I only have 3 hours of privacy time. It will take months to unlock everything. Before you mention summer vacation, I'm usually busy around then too.
I got two periods of thirty minutes a day and that was during the summer. If anything this is value for money. Like, yeah, you won't get your main immediately but I didn't know who Ness was in 64 until I unlocked him and then I played as him exclusively for a while. Like, play a game to have fun. Experience all of it. Explore every inch of it. In the words of Persona 5, Take Your Time.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

We got lives that makes it difficult for us to sit down and grind out things like this and because we realized how much of an artifical made up barrier it is and how shallow that "sense of accomplishment" is when everyone's going to do it anyways?

Trust me, I ****ing dodged 200 lightning bolts in Final Fantasy 10 and that took far longer than this will probably ever take.
And you know what I realized after doing that?

Grinding arbitrary **** for arbitrary unlocks, in a multi-player fighting game specially, is stupid.
It's tedious.
It's boring.
And most importantly It's not why I buy these types of games.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Strange reaction.
There's many things Ultimate didn't get right.

However, complaining about this just screams of people being salty that:

a. Their main isn't in the initial roster
b. Have to play the game they like to get stuff in the game they like
c. "Waste" 11 hours/a week unlocking characters in a game that supports cloud saves.

It will take about, what, 23 hours less than Melee to unlock everyone? And that game had about 10 unlockables with most of them being clones.
I think it also has to do with the unlock methods of fighting games nowadays.
Most fighting games these days (excluding DLC) have their full (or almost full) base roster playable from the start.
Having to unlock 66 characters isn't very appealing to the people who are used to a large selection from the get-go.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well, you're definitely not old, nor are you cranky, okay? :)

D

Deleted member

Like, I don't see the big deal.

The characters don't have any specific unlock methods anymore that you have to go out of your way to do just to unlock them.

All you have to do is....play the game.
Which is like the secondary method of unlocking fighters since Melee, only without the specific number of matches again.
Just play the game and -poof- someone's ready to be unlocked.
/shrug

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Just wait until you are working 60 hours a week, that will be so much worse. :p

On an unrelated note, if they can add spirits post launch, maybe we will get some more indie ones in the future? Even if it is not an assist trophy, getting represented in smash is good advertisement for hard working creators.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I miss the days when we would have to play through Smash to find out who's in the game. Unlocking Mewtwo for the first time in Melee was a experience I'll never forget. I would much prefer it to be that way instead of the reveals and the Internet spoiling everything.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
And while you are unlocking things you can still hop in any mode you want and even play online.
You just won't have access to a few characters until they're unlocked. But the game can still be played.

If the modes needed a certain amount of characters to be unlocked people would have a point to complain about this, but...they're not. Every stage is available too.

Play the game and characters will come to you. There's no deadline to unlocking characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom