• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I still laugh at ''Square doesn't care about Geno/Super Mario RPG."

Yet they advertise Geno in the biggest crossover in gaming history by letting Sakurai sell him (thus giving them money) as a Mii costume and then allow him and AN EXTRA character from Super Mario RPG to come back in another capacity in Ultimate.

They also let Nintendo sell it on Virtual Console and the SNES Classic. This also is advertising and getting money off this cult thing.

I think what people mean when they say this **** is ''Geno is a blip in the big Square radar." which does not equal ''Square doesn't care about Geno/Super Mario RPG."

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Its why i cant see DQ being in smash: Its music. If it was extremely hard to get 2 songs for cloud, why would Nintendo even try and go for DQ music, where its music is even more notorious to use by outside parties, and especially since the composer is a terrible person?

With Sora allegedly deconfirmed by him, its Sephiroth, Chrono, or Geno as a possible result. We do need confirmation from him now. Its out and pretty soon gamefaqs will report on this and call him out, so lets be patient.

Last edited:

capri_

Smash Rookie
How is that my problem?

Sakurai talked about a streamlined method of unlocking characters.

There isn't one.

That's pretty ****ty of them imo. People love to call Sakurai a "liar" and "troll" unjustly, but this one feels like a blatant lie, or pure incompetence.
Compared to how slow you it was to unlock characters in the previous games I'd say it is pretty streamlined this time

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Why are they keeping him if they want to keep all the music for Dragon Quest? And then I thought that FFXV development was so bad enough.
They share the rights with him. He bails/the fire him, neither of them can do anything with it.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
We don't have a full list on what the Spirits do and which fighters they use, but there is a picture of Roll Caskett's(AKA Megaman Legends Roll) Spirit.

So the idea is that she possesses Isabelle, she is joined by a Diddy Kong and by the looks of it, the Hocotate Bomb is going to be used alot.
OH MY GOD IT'S ON THE PILOTWINGS STAGE THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER EVER EVER I AM GENUINELY TEARING UP AT THIS LEGENDS LOVE

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS MODE.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Misinformation. Geno is a popular speculation pick, so it'd be natural to think he's the SE rep. If SE releases a list and Geno is on it, people will believe it's Geno when in reality it's someone else.
Or shockingly this is also an equal opportunity that people seem to be writing off:

People write it off (like is exactly happening) as ''Square wouldn't do that over ___" and because he's such a small cult thing people just assume ''That's obviously not it." and they gravitate towards the big names and thus write off the little train that could.

Or you know there's also the very real possibility this list is B.S. and there's no grand Square scheme to cover up Geno/DQ/FF/Whoever.

Because they don't ****ing care.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
right now
Crunchii = Sonic

By the way, this tweet comes at same time crunchii's YT channel got removed
Ah, the wonders of bizarre fanfiction...

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
How is that my problem?

Sakurai talked about a streamlined method of unlocking characters.

There isn't one.

That's pretty ****ty of them imo. People love to call Sakurai a "liar" and "troll" unjustly, but this one feels like a blatant lie, or pure incompetence.
Technically speaking, isnt
Unlock *insert name here* by beating classic with so and so
considered a streamlined method? The good news is there's always
0.0 difficulty level so you can bang them all out in a day at most

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Why are they keeping him if they want to keep all the music for Dragon Quest? And then I thought that FFXV development was so bad enough.
Dragon Quest has a HUGE legacy due to it being like 30 years old, the composer has the rights to ALL of his songs and it's just incredibly difficult to forfeit thousands of songs because then they'd have to start from scratch. Hell, they'd probably have to remove all digital releases until they modify the soundtrack considering how Capcom handled their ghost composer controversy

D

Deleted member

Fixed some grammar. It's disconfirm instead of deconfirm, and periods go inside of quotes if you end sentences with them.
Okay seriously, don't come into a thread meant for casual discussion and start being a grammar nazi. It's not gonna get anyone on your side.
I still laugh at ''Square doesn't care about Geno/Super Mario RPG."

Yet they advertise Geno in the biggest crossover in gaming history by letting Sakurai sell him (thus giving them money) as a Mii costume and then allow him and AN EXTRA character from Super Mario RPG to come back in another capacity in Ultimate.

They also let Nintendo sell it on Virtual Console and the SNES Classic. This also is advertising and getting money off this cult thing.

I think what people mean when they say this **** is ''Geno is a blip in the big Square radar." which does not equal ''Square doesn't care about Geno/Super Mario RPG."
Eh, we don't know anything anyway, that's why it's called speculation. People talking definitively about which characters definitely will and definitely will not get in are missing the point.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Or shockingly this is also an equal opportunity that people seem to be writing off:

People write it off (like is exactly happening) as ''Square wouldn't do that over ___" and because he's such a small cult thing people just assume ''That's obviously not it." and they gravitate towards the big names and thus write off the little train that could.

Or you know there's also the very real possibility this list is B.S. and there's no grand Square scheme to cover up Geno/DQ/FF/Whoever.

No, Square definitely cares about covering its leaks.

Picture a time you've heard of any other Squenix character in a crossover leaked before their announcement. The Automata music slipup with SC6 doesn't count.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Dragon Quest has a HUGE legacy due to it being like 30 years old, the composer has the rights to ALL of his songs and it's just incredibly difficult to forfeit thousands of songs because then they'd have to start from scratch. Hell, they'd probably have to remove all digital releases until they modify the soundtrack considering how Capcom handled their ghost composer controversy
One question remaining, If DQ composer dies, does Square get to keep the DQ music?

Because that's one thing I'm curious about it

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No, Square definitely cares about covering its leaks.

Picture a time you've heard of any other Squenix character in a crossover leaked before their announcement. The Automata music slipup with SC6 doesn't count.
Eh. That doesn't really equal or mean anything. Just because a leak has never happened doesn't stop the most important thing here.

Let's say tomorrow a picture of the Square rep gets loaded to 4Chan. It's authentic as hell.

Square. Won't. Give. A. ****.

You know why? Because in the grand scheme of things? Even if something leaks? They still get the dollah dollah dollah bill ya'll.

And that's the only thing they're gonna care about when it comes to a crossover. Not ''OH NO IT MIGHT LEAK".

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Ahhh I see our (The GenoBros) little secret got out. This is quite a bit to take in.

So is anyone feeling DQ or can that finally be on the back burner for possible Square Reps?

In all honesty, the most likely, at this time to be our rep is Chrono, Geno or Sephiroth.

Geno is the Smash fan favorite, but like many have said he is a small blip on the Square Radar.

Chrono would be incredible to be honest! I believe he 8s co-owned by Armor Project. Might be wrong.

Sephiroth would be really neat to see. Simon's range, eat your heart out! But something I thought of, would we see another FF7 stage? Bayo didn't get a new one NOR did Capcom.

It could go either way.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Sakurai: "Actually, I wanted Geno to be playable, he would be perfect for Smash!" *laughs*

>gets a Mii costume with a unique tagline
>gets one of the only Square Enix spirits in the game

Clearly he's a joke and nobody cares about him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One question remaining, If DQ composer dies, does Square get to keep the DQ music?

Because that's one thing I'm curious about it
idk Japanese culture about this but either that or he puts it in his will. Japan's being a lot more progressive than 4channers would let you believe so hopefully regardless what happens, the rightowners would at least be decent people

D

Deleted member

Anyways, SE doesn't really care about Geno. Speak to anyone who knows anything and they'll tell you that. Verge even made a comment saying something similar to this, but I'm too lazy to find it. The spirit can be explained by how easy it is to ask for a .png instead of a playable character. Same thing with the Mii costume.

Sora is...an interesting case. Like I said, some people say he's in (Spawn Wave), and others say he's not (one of Verge's sources), and I wouldn't trust any definite statements because no one knows who it is.

The only way we'll find out who the SE rep is is when they're actually revealed. I'm convinced of this.
See where you’re coming from, but I just don’t think it’s reasonable to say ‘Sora still has a chance’ and then say ‘Geno’s out’.
Ultimately both statements hold the same weight. They’re both coming from th same midddle-man, and we don’t know which sources said what. That other stuff on geno and sora’s chance are fine, but I don’t see them as particularly relevant here, more to the characters’ general chances.
Sorry for the late reply btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

That too. The other side of the argument is that it's refuge in audacity and they're using the list to hide Geno by surrounding him with larger names. Based off of what I know though, I'm more inclined to believe my former point. Like I said though, I honestly believe we won't know who the SE rep is until they're revealed.
Okay seriously, don't come into a thread meant for casual discussion and start being a grammar nazi. It's not gonna get anyone on your side.
>Implying I have people on my side
tumblr_inline_n327sfUDU01r3x7o0.jpg

Being serious, I simply want everyone to become better writers; It's not like I'm using it to discredit anyone or anything. I'm also open to being corrected myself, as KMDP KMDP did to me last night.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
The pessimism inside of me wants to say that Slime isnt even considered, one of Verge's sources is messing with him.
The optimism inside of me wants to say that Slime isnt a name going around too much because he's in and Square Enix doesn't want to give his name out.
The realist inside of my wants to say that every name on the list is equally important because even the leakers truly don't know who is in yet.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: "Actually, I wanted Geno to be playable, he would be perfect for Smash!" *laughs*

>gets a Mii costume with a unique tagline
>gets one of the only Square Enix spirits in the game

Clearly he's a joke and nobody cares about him.
I have a feeling a few people consider those fighting words...
What’s bad about it’s

It’s stating Bayonetta is nerfed

Isn’t?
Nah, she got a buff. RIP The competitive Smash scene's sanity lol.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The pessimism inside of me wants to say that Slime isnt even considered, one of Verge's sources is messing with him.
The optimism inside of me wants to say that Slime isnt a name going around too much because he's in and Square Enix doesn't want to give his name out.
The realist inside of my wants to say that every name on the list is equally important because even the leakers truly don't know who is in yet.
For what it's worth buddy;
You've always been super respectful about the Squenix rep. If Slime's in, I'm happy for you.
He's my most wanted DQ rep. Though I want none really.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
**** it's easy to write Geno and Mallow off especially when you put their image in the game as well.

That could be a part of Square's play by play for all we know.

Get people thinking ''Well, that's all he got." and then you hit them with the DLC.

Again it's just speculation, but it's also something I thought about.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I say let's put the Square Enix character on the back burner, it's really hard to tell who it could be, I say let's just wait it out till Decemeber 6th. Square has a lot of characters they could choose from.

For all we know this character is someone that's suppose to be a big surprise reveal and that's probably why even leakers aren't sure of who it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom