• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Also don't ya'll think it's a little obvious that Nintendo would know that we're god damn nerds and take notice of who is missing a spirit?

It's just far more likely Spirits were legitimately added purely if someone in the roster could replicate that character in any sort of way or an ''effect" could be deciphered for them.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Pretty much? It's highly possible any character is likely for DLC.

So you know you 3 Smoky Progg fans get excited.
-Explain Piranha Plant's absense
-Also don't ya'll think it's a little obvious that Nintendo would know that we're god damn nerds and take notice of spaces on a box art?

Roberk

Smash Champion
People are kinda jumping to conclusions with thinking being a spirit deconfirms someone as a potential DLC newcomer, don't you think?

Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game of Smash 4, yet it didn't bar either of them. And spirits are essentially the successor to trophies.
Spirits are part of gameplay though while trophies weren't. Not definitive, but Spirits are different than trophies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Were you not here last night into this morning? We literally had the entirety of the spirit list, boss list, mii costumes, and even the story cutscenes dumped before people streamed by people going through the files.
Were they all illegally accessible for the public to play for free? Cause I don’t remember that happening before the streams. Yeah many of those things were posted, but most were leaked through text (with a pic or two) while the cutscenes...well only thing I can say about that is that those are easier to delete from YouTube than it is to delete and ban a streamer and all that (if all the cutscenes are massive cutscenes then that person whom posted it is a ballsy fool

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
-Explain Piranha Plant's absense
-Also don't ya'll think it's a little obvious that Nintendo would know that we're god damn nerds and take notice of spaces on a box art?
Wow.

Counterpoints that mean. absolutely. nothing.

As vaan has said you only take notice of the lack of Piranha Plant because you're on the look out and it helps your case.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Alright, my try. How would you all react if our DLC was..

-Tibby or Marshal (RH characters)
-Sylux
-Porky
-Neku
-Doomguy

Honorary mentions to Celica, Adeline, and every other Square possibility, These 5 are the likely ones with my bias thrown in.
NEKU AND IM SOLD

The Fighters Pass is already worth it to me because I love seeing new content but you toss one of my most-wanted in it and they could add the Water From Fluidity as a fighter and I'd be like "yeah sure!!!"

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I haven't posted in about 400 pages, and haven't seen any spoilers, and frankly I'm glad. The amiibo community for all its grief appears to be finally getting something new besides a new character or two, and that's a good day.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also some of these characters ya'll are noticing missing Spirits?

Ya'll nuts if you think:

A) They'd sell a fighter pass.
B) They'd get into Smash in the first place.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game of Smash 4, yet it didn't bar either of them. And spirits are essentially the successor to trophies.
Spirits are actually used in gameplay as opposed to mere collectables.

We have no legitimate case, especially now that we know all the Spirits, where a fighter can be equipped with a Spirit of the same name and identity. Closest is a variant with an alternative design.
Fighters get their OWN Spirits that are basically the replacement of their standard Trophies, and those Fighter Spirits are not equippable.

Look at Piranha Plant. It's DLC, and it has no Spirit in the base game. Rather, the Spirit it would get would be the forementioned Fighter Spirit for completing Classic Mode.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Piranha Plant also doesn't really have anyone in the roster that could replicate most of it's abilities.

So there's that.

Go on. Try to create a PP Spirit battle that fits as well as the ones Sakurai has cooked up for a majority of the ''major" players.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant is a special case even among DLC fighters, hacking in the 30 slots give blank ones EXCEPT for PP which means he was already planned. My argument has always been that Spirits weren't done with DLC in mind so they can't deconfirm characters because both were chosen separately. Nintendo is not gonna go "oh well, Geno is already a Spirit, we can't turn him into a fighter!"

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Okay then, I'll go. Your reaction?

Poochy
Sylux
Eight
Nightmare
Dragonborn

:yoshi:
Look, I rip on Yoshi a lot, but if people are going to argue Sylux and Porky and Adeleine and Cross are now likely just because they don't have spirits, Poochy's absence is just as big.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Guys, may it be better if we waited for the DLC to come? Also *** the rom. I want the game on my switch.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Okay then, I'll go. Your reaction?

Poochy
Sylux
Eight
Nightmare
Dragonborn

:yoshi:
1. :yoshi:YES:yoshi:
2. Don't no much about him but he looks cool.
3. My favorite number
4. I'd love for Link to get a rematch on his own turf
5. Could be an interesting choice, shouts could make a fun moveset. Hope it comes with an alt costume for each Elder Scrolls race.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant also doesn't really have anyone in the roster that could replicate most of it's abilities.

So there's that.

Go on. Try to create a PP Spirit battle that fits as well as the ones Sakurai has cooked up for a majority of the ''major" players.
Not every Spirit is acquired through a Spirit Battle.
/argument

D

Deleted member

The Cross thing is so silly because they don't have a canonical design, they literally have no official artwork to use.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sakurai must be very disappointed in these streamers
77B70D2D-34AC-45F2-AC92-D9C2975D24CD.png
77B70D2D-34AC-45F2-AC92-D9C2975D24CD.png

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Okay, but also? Who said that the DLC characters would get fighter spirits in the first place? All that was stated was that each fighter came with a stage and music and like, that's it.

It was one thing in Smash 4 to add in trophies, or include the DLC fighters in classic or whatever.

But Ultimate is a vastly different game. The DLC probably won't have anything to do with World of Light, and that's pretty much all Spirits are used for to my knowledge. So if that's true, then the DLC characters won't have anything to do with spirits, either.

I don't know. I honestly think you're all vastly limiting your speculation options because of some png files. That's just me.

D

Deleted member

Not every Spirit is acquired through a Spirit Battle.
/argument
Furthermore, by your logic, Fisher, Petey Piranha has someone that can "replicate" what he can do, but not a generic Piranha Plant. And the former is just a bigger version of the latter without a pot.

Your counterpoint has no leg to stand on.

/topic

Last edited by a moderator:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Were they all illegally accessible for the public to play for free? Cause I don’t remember that happening before the streams. Yeah many of those things were posted, but most were leaked through text (with a pic or two) while the cutscenes...well only thing I can say about that is that those are easier to delete from YouTube than it is to delete and ban a streamer and all that (if all the cutscenes are massive cutscenes then that person whom posted it is a ballsy fool
I was talking about streaming in general, not the sharing of the rom itself(which tmk only one of the streamers actually did).

D

Deleted member

Okay, but also? Who said that the DLC characters would get fighter spirits in the first place? All that was stated was that each fighter came with a stage and music and like, that's it.

It was one thing in Smash 4 to add in trophies, or include the DLC fighters in classic or whatever.

But Ultimate is a vastly different game. The DLC probably won't have anything to do with World of Light, and that's pretty much all Spirits are used for to my knowledge. So if that's true, then the DLC characters won't have anything to do with spirits, either.

I don't know. I honestly think you're all vastly limiting your speculation options because of some png files. That's just me.
This is also a good point. Fighter Spirits aren't even equivalent to Trophies because we know you can just buy them from the shop, they are literally meaningless in the long run.

I'd suspect DLC characters would still be allowed in WoL, either automatically or have a side battle added for them(as all fighters are unlocked in 1v1s on FD anyways)

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

So there's that.

Maybe a group of green Warios that don’t move around much and spam Chomp would work, if they were to do that.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Furthermore, by your logic, Fisher, Petey Piranha has someone that can "replicate" what he can do, but not a generic Piranha Plant. And the former is just a bigger version of the latter without a pot.

/topic
Flashbacks to Petey Piranha over Wario brawl mods

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Furthermore, by your logic, Fisher, Petey Piranha has someone that can "replicate" what he can do, but not a generic Piranha Plant.

/topic
Yeah, well I'm not the one who thinks Nintendo will shut out any potential all-star from giving them money, as well as any of the third parties that might be a part of this, simply because ''ACTUALLY DUE TO STORY MODE LORE AND A PNG WE GAVE YOU PRETTY EASILY~~"

Like that's just not smart business. It's really not smart business.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I love how ya'll just made up this fan rule about Spirits and as soon as a character that is one gets in as DLC ya'll gonna be all ''BUT SAKURAI SAID....'

Nah, ya'll said. YA'LL.
Here’s something that was said recently:

“With the amount of differences between Ken and Ryu, some people are wondering if Ken really is an echo fighter? Nope. I said he was, so he is an echo fighter.”

Right then and there the man gave us an example that he makes his own rules and that his perception of his “rules” is different from that of the fans as they’ve been repeatedly broken game after game.

Our speculation isn’t 100% concrete. Overtime, things pop up that change how we view the game and it’s thought behind it.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The Cross thing is so silly because they don't have a canonical design, they literally have no official artwork to use.
Robin had no official artwork either. Kris and Corrin did, but not Robin. But as seen, Sakurai basically took the default 1/1/1/1/1 look and gave them that. So the same could be applied to Cross in that they can take the Default look.......if it wasn't for the fact that Cross does, in fact, have Official Artwork! For Both Genders!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Flashbacks to Petey Piranha over Wario brawl mods
And that literally means...what exactly?

So because Petey has a giant mouth to bite with, Wario can fit the role.....but a generic mook of the same exact kind of creature all of a sudden can't have Wario fill the same role?

You and Fisher are making absolutely no sense here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberk

Smash Champion

When you team battle as a Chrom and a Robin facing another Chrom and a Mii Sword Fighter Chrom and Robin uses their Final Smash to summon another Chrom to attack Chrom and Discount Chrom as Chrom watches and as the victory animation plays for Chrom and Robin's victory there's another Chrom with Robin.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Here’s something that was said recently:

“With the amount of differences between Ken and Ryu, some people are wondering if Ken really is an echo fighter? Nope. I said he was, so he is an echo fighter.”

Right then and there the man gave us an example that he makes his own rules and that his perception of his “rules” is different from that of the fans as they’ve been repeatedly broken game after game.

Our speculation isn’t 100% concrete. Overtime, things pop up that change how we view the game and it’s thought behind it.
All of this. (Dr,mario as well as 18)

KMDP

Smash Legend

So there's that.

Kirby - Red Alt - Enemy starts battle with a Fire Flower

The best I could come up with.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
And that literally means...what exactly?

So because Petey has a giant mouth to bite with, Wario can fit the role.....but a generic mook of the same exact kind of creature all of a sudden can't have Wario fill the same role?

You and Fisher are making absolutely no sense here.
Nah, I was just commenting on the fact people used to rig Petey over Wario because having one common move was enough for people, lol.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

When you team battle as a Chrom and a Robin facing another Chrom and a Mii Sword Fighter Chrom and Robin uses their Final Smash to summon another Chrom to attack Chrom and Discount Chrom as Chrom watches and as the victory animation plays for Chrom and Robin's victory there's another Chrom with Robin.
Putting that as second on my Smash bucket list under 8-player Ice Climbers.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm out for the rest of the night gang

Keep me posted on any new leak developments

I saw that Steve is out-no idea what to think. How could it get a boss? Are we being taken on the ruse cruise?

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom