• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I love how ya'll just made up this fan rule about Spirits and as soon as a character that is one gets in as DLC ya'll gonna be all ''BUT SAKURAI SAID....'

Nah, ya'll said. YA'LL.
Forgive my pottymouth, but this. This is the biggest reason why the fandom p*sses me off so much; they make up a bunch of phony rules based on their own personal interests and desires to the point where it can elevate from subtle disappointment to directly bashing the development team, no matter what happens. People thought they hated Donkey Kong due to the franchise's treatment in 4, but now I'd say they're feeling pretty f***ing stupid right about now.

Don't believe your own rules, don't expect ANYTHING from the future. Just go with the flow, and see what happens.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The thing is let's use Elma for an example.

Oh boy all you do is give her fighter spirit a different piece of artwork.

Problem. Solved.

Same for even more controversial characters like Geno.

Let's throw a hypothetical out there.

What if the fighter isn't just Geno but Geno & Mallow.

Now you have a new tag team fighter and thus need new artwork.

Or you know you just give Geno new artwork in his fighter spirit, since there's literally like one piece of artwork for the dude.

But really with the more promoted fighters unlike him? There's literally millions of pieces of artwork to make for their Fighter Spirit.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
> Verg says there's a Minecraft boss
> The boss list has been datamined

Bruh, what? He's evidently digging himself a hole. Is this in addition to Steve or what? I'm also aware that it hasn't been identified whether the boss list has been completely found out or not, but man.

Should be interesting if any other leaker has heard this, because he's still the only major leaker saying this. Losing faith, and I wouldn't even be mad if he's wrong at the point because I don't even want the latest information to be real.
Oh no you’re talking smack about Verge. All his fans are gonna ***** at you that a minecraft boss is happening cause verge said so.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Piranha Plant being the only major Mario enemy not to have a spirit, kind of throws a wrench in that.
This is confirmation bias at work. There's no Monty Mole, Dry Bones, Paratroopa (despite all three being constants in the main games and making multiple playable appearances in various spinoffs). People only notice characters are missing when it helps their case.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think she should fight with her sword 'hidden' by a whirlwind until she uses her final smash. EXXCALIBAH!!
The only downside to this is that it'll potentially be a problem with a game like Smash, where hitboxes are a highlight in training mode now. It's one thing to learn about the properties of your character's moves provided you can see a opaque model for it, but it's another to rely on a near-invisible weapon with potentially-dodgy hitboxes.

I mean hey, if Mario can shoot fireballs without the aid of a fire flower powerup, I'm sure Nasu would be cool with Artoria using Excalibur over Invisible Air, at least in Smash's context.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's kind of odd to me that yesterday almost no one had issues with the game being datamined but there are a few today wagging their fingers about streaming the game. Not saying they are the same people but it's just kind of an odd difference between the two situations
one set of leaks were just songs and Pit talk...the other leak involves the entire story mode and other sorts of gameplay and illegal ****s

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
The only downside to this is that it'll potentially be a problem with a game like Smash, where hitboxes are a highlight in training mode now. It's one thing to learn about the properties of your character's moves provided you can see a opaque model for it, but it's another to rely on a near-invisible weapon with potentially-dodgy hitboxes.

I mean hey, if Mario can shoot fireballs without the aid of a fire flower powerup, I'm sure Nasu would be cool with Artoria using Excalibur over Invisible Air, at least in Smash's context.
Mario can already do the fire in his own games.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This is confirmation bias at work. There's no Monty Mole, Dry Bones, Paratroopa (despite all three being constants in the main games and making multiple playable appearances in various spinoffs). People only notice characters are missing when it helps their case.
Wrong, I noticed those ones were missing but they didn't help my case, so I didn't say anything about them.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Oh no you’re talking smack about Verge. All his fans are gonna ***** at you that a minecraft boss is happening cause verge said so.
Stop being ridiculous, man. People aren't "****ing" on people that don't believe in Verge.

Shroob

Sup?
This is a terrible mindset to have.

Just because people follow the leak scene, does in no way mean they're a leaker's 'fans', this term gets thrown around way too much to try to stifle leak discussion.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's kind of odd to me that yesterday almost no one had issues with the game being datamined but there are a few today wagging their fingers about streaming the game. Not saying they are the same people but it's just kind of an odd difference between the two situations
For me, datamining is a fun way to explore the files of the game and see cut content, potential content, how the whole thing was made, stuff like that. I do not approve of leaking the WoL cutscenes in the slightest, though.

Streaming the game fully before release date is a little lame but more acceptable because hey, it was gonna come out anyway. Forcing your system to play something you shouldn't be playing is, again, a little lame, but eh. Have fun.

Dumping the game and advertising a download with a crack in your stream is very not cool to me.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
one set of leaks were just songs and Pit talk...the other leak involves the entire story mode and other sorts of gameplay and illegal ****s
Were you not here last night into this morning? We literally had the entirety of the spirit list, boss list, mii costumes, and even the story cutscenes dumped before people streamed by people going through the files.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
For me, datamining is a fun way to explore the files of the game and see cut content, potential content, how the whole thing was made, stuff like that. I do not approve of leaking the WoL cutscenes in the slightest, though.

Streaming the game fully before release date is a little lame but more acceptable because hey, it was gonna come out anyway. Forcing your system to play something you shouldn't be playing is, again, a little lame, but eh. Have fun.

Dumping the game and advertising a download with a crack in your stream is very not cool to me.
I agree with throwing the rom out for people to get honestly. That is ****ty no matter what.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Erdrick because token "SE character" that's being speculated heavily. Dragon Quest III is a big deal for both Square-Enix and the fandom.

Marshal because unusual omission from a RH Spirit when literally everyone else featured in Smash as a Trophy is present and then some. Also similar to the Chorus Kids in design, who were likely going to be in Smash 4.

Cross because he's not a Spirit while Elma is :V.
Weakest one yet; could replace him with someone else.
I feel like Tibby might be more likely than Marshal due to being the main character of Megamix which is more recent while Fever came out back in 2011. I'd love both, though.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman

Bruh, what? He's evidently digging himself a hole. Is this in addition to Steve or what? I'm also aware that it hasn't been identified whether the boss list has been completely found out or not, but man.

Should be interesting if any other leaker has heard this, because he's still the only major leaker saying this. Losing faith, and I wouldn't even be mad if he's wrong at the point because I don't even want the latest information to be real.
Here's the thing: Verg's careful. Almost too careful actually. And he knows it's confusing, he said so himself. So if he says Minecraft has a boss, then I'm guessing we're getting boss DLC.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Tibby might be more likely than Marshal due to being the main character of Megamix which is more recent while Fever came out back in 2011. I'd love both, though.
Tibby is another possibility, but I went with Marshal because he (along with Sam and Miss Ribbon, who would probably be involved in his moveset somewhere) was a trophy in Smash Wii U, but is not a Spirit. And due to his similarities to the Chorus Kids.

Though now that I see that the Sneaking Spirits aren't a Spirit (lol) either, perhaps that's not as strong as a point....

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why can't I make a joke post without being met with an unnecessarily hostile response?
I wasn't hostile in the slightest in the post.

Perhaps look up the definition my friend.

If anything I misunderstood your attempt at humor and made a joke-y response post back. :)

Saetanigera

Smash Ace

I wouldn't be calling for Mitsurugi's invisible sword. We'd have the constant whirlwind effect around her blade to keep her visually distinct from all the other sword wielders. Win-win.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
People are kinda jumping to conclusions with thinking being a spirit deconfirms someone as a potential DLC newcomer, don't you think?

Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game of Smash 4, yet it didn't bar either of them. And spirits are essentially the successor to trophies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I think what people with games should do is just record playing usual matches, and make videos for youtube that arent live, so they wont be able to tell where it's from. more matches for everyone to see... :)

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
The thing is let's use Elma for an example.

Oh boy all you do is give her fighter spirit a different piece of artwork.

Problem. Solved.

Same for even more controversial characters like Geno.

Let's throw a hypothetical out there.

What if the fighter isn't just Geno but Geno & Mallow.

Now you have a new tag team fighter and thus need new artwork.

Or you know you just give Geno new artwork in his fighter spirit, since there's literally like one piece of artwork for the dude.

But really with the more promoted fighters unlike him? There's literally millions of pieces of artwork to make for their Fighter Spirit.
I was thinking the same thing this past week! My most wanted is Shantae, and she's a spirit using her HGH art. So what? There's four other games to choose from, and plenty of art to go around (I prefer Pirate's Curse). Other characters such as Goku (the one Nintendo owns) and Bandana Dee also have seperate renders to go by, so they're still on the table (have you seen Dee's Star Allies render?! It's gorgeous!) One snippet of art out of plenty others shouldn't add up a crushed dream.
Besides, with 1000+ Spirits to choose from, who do they even have left to pull from? It just doesn't add up.

D

Deleted member

I'd be actually disappointed. Like, the only two good-ish characters in that list are Marshal and Erdrick. Porky and Adeleine are practically whos and Cross is just boring.

Another reaction question, but how would you all react if we get a Crono Trigger remake for Nintendo Switch in the style of Octopath Traveler and get Crono for Smash alongside that?

I'd be more than okay with that.
Chrono Trigger remake with Octopath's engine is literally my wettest of dreams. I mean, CT was based off FFVI's engine so it would be funny to see something like that happen again.
Also, full voice acting. I'd buy 3 copoes, one to play, one to keep in the case and a final one to do naughty stuff with

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

The thing that bothers me more about this supposed Minecraft boss isn't that it doesn't appear on the datamined boss list, it's that Minecraft doesn't appear on the datamined list of franchises represented in the game.

But Jet Force Gemini is there, even though it's not owned by Nintendo nor does it have any content. If we assume it's cut content, or even if we assume it's a hint at future content, in either case, it establishes Nintendo hasn't been very thorough in scrubbing that list.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Alright, my try. How would you all react if our DLC was..

-Tibby or Marshal (RH characters)
-Sylux
-Porky
-Neku
-Doomguy

Honorary mentions to Celica, Adeline, and every other Square possibility, These 5 are the likely ones with my bias thrown in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also don't ya'll think it's a little obvious that Nintendo would know that we're god damn nerds and take notice of who is missing a spirit?

It's just far more likely Spirits were legitimately added purely if someone in the roster could replicate that character in any sort of way or an ''effect" could be deciphered for them.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Pretty much? It's highly possible any character is likely for DLC.

So you know you 3 Smoky Progg fans get excited.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

-Sylux
-Porky
-Neku
-Doomguy

Honorary mentions to Celica, Adeline, and every other Square possibility, These 5 are the likely ones with my bias thrown in.
Doomguy would be incredible.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

-Sylux
-Porky
-Neku
-Doomguy

Doomguy and Neku are rad

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
So what you are saying is that Renamon should be in Smash as a playable character :p Considering the absence of Krystal I can accept that :p
My gut tells me Piranha Plant is the "cut character" from the datamine, but my attention to the amount of detail and variety of attacks and animations in general Krystal has worries me she was cut due to Nintendo hitting the reset button on Star Fox with the release of Zero, hence why she looks so much more "complete" than other AT's. Those hitboxes are insane to say the least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom