• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Robin did have the Awakening portraits but it's mot like they were being pasted over(and other materials such as the card game used the default look as the canon one already, didn't they?)

But wow, that's official artwork? Those just look like model rips
Yep. That is Official Artwork. Scanned from The Secret File: Art of Mira.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/xenoblade/images/2/24/118.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160321154415
So Cross did have Official artwork that they could've used for Spirit artwork.

And nope, The Cipher card game didn't come out until Fates came out, so Robin didn't have any Official Artwork Pose until Smash Bros.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How would everyone feel about these characters being the final newcomers (DLC)?
The President (Pikmin)
Sylux
Enzo (Bayonetta)
Crash
Banjo-Kazooie
The worst timeline by far.

No SE or Bamco rep and literal whos in the form of The President and Enzo. Sylux is okay, but Banjo & Crash feel hollow with such a lackluster lineup.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m going to go out on a limb and just make some predictions.

1) Verge was misled by some guy who happened to speak to other leakers, and the data mining has screwed them over. Steve will not be playable. There will be no Minecraft boss.

Vergeben was not the first to know the information, but appears to be the first to report his information. This time, he’s the first to report this Minecraft stuff, but pretty much no one else with credibility backs it. Rather, Ryce, a person with previously established credibility, says it’s not happening.

2) Spirits will not disconfirm fighters, but that doesn’t mean that DLC fighters will be among the spirits. There’s a distinction to make, obviously.

The idea that the team used over 1000 png images and already decided that none of them would be suitable as playable is just...nonsensical. Rather than assume a character can get a different image as a fighter spirit when completing classic, we are assuming, with no data to substantiate the claim, that these characters are automatically out.

Now, again, that’s not to say that I absolutely 100% believe Spirits are fair game. But I think it’s silly to assume that any character that is a Spirit cannot be playable. Not to mention, it’s literally a function of 2 modes in the game, and nothing more. Like you don’t even touch Spirits in the main draw of the game, and you can unlock all characters without touching either mode...probably.

Then again, just like everyone else here, I probably have no ****ing clue what i’m talking about and will be handily proven wrong, being sent to the Shadow Realm in the process.

I simply think we should hold up on assuming what spirits do and don’t support in terms of playable characters until we have more information.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Since Vergeben and Hitagi appear to be confused now is it possible we don’t even get another Square rep?

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I’m going to go out on a limb and just make some predictions.

1) Verge was misled by some guy who happened to speak to other leakers, and the data mining has screwed them over. Steve will not be playable. There will be no Minecraft boss.

Vergeben was not the first to know the information, but appears to be the first to report his information. This time, he’s the first to report this Minecraft stuff, but pretty much no one else with credibility backs it. Rather, Ryce, a person will previously established credibility, says it’s not happening.

2) Spirits will not disconfirm fighters, but that doesn’t mean that DLC fighters will be among the spirits. There’s a distinction to make, obviously.

The idea that the team used over 1000 png images and already decided that none of them would be suitable as playable is just...nonsensical. Rather than assume a character can get a different image as a fighter spirit when completing classic, we are assuming, with no data to substantiate the claim, that these characters are automatically out.

Now, again, that’s not to say that I absolutely 100% believe Spirits are fair game. But I think it’s silly to assume that any character that is a Spirit cannot be playable. Not to mention, it’s literally a function of 2 modes in the game, and nothing more. Like you don’t even touch Spirits in the main draw of the game, and you can unlock all characters without touching either mode...probably.

Then again, just like everyone else here, I probably have no ****ing clue what i’m talking about and will be handily proven wrong, being sent to the Shadow Realm in the process.

I simply think we should hold up on assuming what spirits do and don’t support in terms of playable characters until we have more information.

Didn't Haighi or whatever his name is said that Ryce was wrong in the past? Not pirahana plant, some other game stuffs that he was wrong on.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Smash Ultimate uses fresnel effects for the characters way too much.
It works for some stages, like Mario Galaxy, but they seem to be doing this for nearly every stage, even ones like Onett. It looks unnatural.

----

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This guy can't ****ing win against Sigma Ganondorf and it's really making me mad because all he needs to do is change the damn Spirit.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Didn't Haighi or whatever his name is said that Ryce was wrong in the past? Not pirahana plant, some other game stuffs that he was wrong on.
To be honest I have no idea on that, but look at it this way. We have the following:

Ryce, a guy who regardless of what particular people say, has leaked correct stuff in the past and says they haven’t heard anything on Minecraft.

Vs.

Hitagi, a person who has leaked correct stuff in the past, but when it comes to Smash has done a kickflip 1080, and landed on a rail with their crotch in terms of staying consistent with what they’ve heard.

I still see no reason to take Hitagi as gospel. Verge is a little more understandable, as I personally viewed him as entirely legit after E3. That said, DLC is a different beast entirely. I get the feeling these two have been misled at this point in time, until I see something back them up.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I have an idea. Spirits don't deconfirm, but the ones that are missing could be DLC as well.

It's possible that some characters were decided as DLC before Spirits of them were made. This could explain the lack of a Spirit for Piranha Plant and possibly others like Porky and Sylux. They were decided to be DLC, so the team was like "what's the point of making them a Spirit?". Other fighters could've been decided AFTER they were already made Spirits.

Is that a good theory? Did I figure something out?

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
This latest stream is reassuring me so far that spirits is going to be addicting an fun as heck X_X

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Seems he is switching the stream title and stuff to not get caught. Think that may be against twitch rules but not sure if they care
HE SWITCHED IT TO ROBLOX!

Anyways, it seems that he is a lot farther than the other streamers. He seems to be near an underground facility part.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hold up. Why is Arvis not a Spirit? He's one of the main villains of FE4, and his son Julius is even a Spirit. End of Despair/Edge of Adversity, the new FE4 remix, is very affiliated with Arvis because it's the song that plays as
he kills Sigurd and his army, ending the 1st Generation of Genealogy, which is one of the most significant/memorable moments in the entire series.
, yet Arvis himself isn't there amongst Sigurd, Deidre, and Julius as a Spirit?

Imagine:
>FE4 remake announced/released within the span of Smash DLC.
>FE4 remake gets a promotional character/Sakurai sees an opportunity to add a popular character from a popular game for Japan.
>Sigurd and Seliph are too boring design-wise for Smash and they get Smash 4 Robin'd by Arvis who is still significant and more unique.
>Arvis checks every fan-rule: unique design, unique moveset, and of course, he's a villain.

Don't @ me taking it seriously as a prediction, I'm just imagining a cool scenario.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
If I was told to come up with the five DLC characters, with the Spirits deconfirming fighters, I'd have to go with Sylux, Enzo, a Pikmin 4 rep, Crono and Travis Touchdown. I think Banjo-Kazooie, Isaac and Geno would be much more meaningful as base roster characters for the next game, but this bunch could be cool for DLC. I'd say Crash instead of Enzo, but I like the idea of more humorous characters being introduced to Smash, and while Crash was my introduction to video games, and I have heaps of nostalgia for him, I don't really care for him too much nowadays. Enzo would just be a blast in comparison, and I'd be able to play a character from one of my favourite games (not going to play Bayonetta, given her once Meta Knight-esque reputation, but she'd probably be my main otherwise, if she weren't so broken, just because of how much I love the first game and the characters from it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom