• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem deserves all the characters it has in Smash and plus a few more. You can't change my mind.
I don't know if I'd say "deserve", but FE's representation in Smash isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. A couple of them are just clones, so we actually have fewer unique FE reps than Zelda reps. Three Awakening reps may seem unfair until you realize Awakening was the game that put FE back on the map. Corrin gets a lot of hate, but even if he/she wasn't added in Smash 4 as DLC, the character still would have been in Ultimate anyways. I think the only thing that would annoy me in regards to FE's reps is if we get Byleth instead of Edelgard with an axe for a potential Three Houses newcomer for DLC. He looks way too similar to Marth and also uses a sword. I wouldn't be angry at his inclusion, but rather a little bit annoyed.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Anything new from the Leak Kingdom?

I saw that the supposed Nintendo Swordfighter isn't from any of the major Nintendo Swordfighter series, so I don't know who it could be. I'd say Dragalia Lost but I don't know what it has other than dragons and anime/manga-style art.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Credit to whoever created/collaborated on this, because this is truly the most blessed image of the speculation cycle. The true banner that even the Grinch couldn't steal.

You know... looking at this image.

When Smash Ultimate comes out and people rip the character models.

Somebody out there better damn well remake "Fabulous Secret Powers" with Simon.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to address something:

While I was originally the one who said that DLC was planned when the original roster was decided in December 2015, I've since come to doubt that statement a little more. The DanMan051 The DanMan051 's argument about context got me thinking that we (read: I) might've taken the statement too far in applying it, and I'd like this to be known before others go spreading it around the internet (I'm sure it already is, Sakurai help us all).

Obviously, DLC has been in planning stages for a while, seeing as both Minecraft and Square Enix content have been known about for months but have yet to appear in the game, which signifies that they'll likely be DLC. However, Senrou_Hitagi's comments about recent talks between Nintendo and Cygames (occurring about 1-2 months ago) make me think that DLC could've been planned much later than December 2015, or at the very least plans for DLC were flexible up until negotiations began.

Ultimately I believe that DLC wasn't planned out as a whole, but characters were planned individually as negotiations occurred. This would explain why information about certain DLC elements (Minecraft, Square Enix, Cygames) came out at different points, because nothing was known until negotiations either ended (in the case of Minecraft, Pre-E3, and Square Enix around September) or began (in the case of Cygames, around October, which makes it absolutely last second in terms of negotiation and planning if Senrou is to be believed and Katalina is going to happen).

What I'm saying is that negotiations, and therefore planning, for DLC could've occurred anywhere from December 2015 to October 2018, with different characters being planned at different times. I wouldn't necessarily give up hope for more recent characters (i.e. Rex and Pyra, Bethesda Rep, Crash Bandicoot, etc.), but I also wouldn't get them up either.

Nintendo characters in particular seem to be facing an uphill battle as well, given Verge's other statement that Sakurai prioritizes third party characters for DLC over first party characters.

I'll make sure to pour one out to the fans of whoever got cucked out of Smash by Katalina.
Log back in after two weeks and am not sure what I find more funny, the fact I got tagged about all this or that the last sentence is now pretty much moot with Hitagi heavily walking back the Katalina claims now.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hitagi talked to me right now...

Said:

"all the stuff i got Bandai Namco doesn't point to a conclusion
so for all i know they could releasing false info
but
as far as my sources say
Agumon is a no
just think of me like Hand sanitizer right now"

"i killed 99.9% chance of it being true
but that .1%
could be a sliver of hope "
My favorite arc of Smash speculation was when Graizen Graizen somehow got a leaker to be his friend just like that.

Keep us posted dude.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
While we're talking B-K, and as someone who has really only dove deep recently, I'm always surprised they are talked about way more than Crash, especially with Crash's recent return to popularity with the new game. Heck, even Spyro just got relaunched and I think he's really not even worth talking about when it comes to getting into Smash at this point.
I think the reason for that is because Crash is mainly associated with Sony like Cloud, whereas Banjo-Kazooie are pseudo-Nintendo characters. And since Smash fans buy Nintendo consoles to play Smash, they're more familiar with Banjo. At least, that's what I think.

D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem deserves all the characters it has in Smash and plus a few more. You can't change my mind.
Meh, I'm fine with it.

Doesn't stop me from wanting Kirby and Zelda stuff more, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ultimate speculation, man. I remember the days when a Bethesda rep was almost a lock for base game.
Given that Bethesda only began working with Nintendo in 2016 or so, after the project plan for Ultimate was put together, that was always unlikely, just like ARMS and XC2 characters.

For DLC, though? Much more likely.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Given that Bethesda only began working with Nintendo in 2016 or so, after the project plan for Ultimate was put together, that was always unlikely, just like ARMS and XC2 characters.

For DLC, though? Much more likely.
This was before E3, back when we were unsure of what exactly the game even was and were assuming work began in April 2016 at the earliest.

GameFAQs considered a bethesda rep to be a lock?

Man, I envy their optimism.
...Whenever I look at something on gamefaqs, though, it seems more like pessimism to me... Am I looking at the wrong parts of GameFAQs?
No, gamefaqs is always pessimistic. Any character created in the past 15 years being considered a near-lock isn't optimistic for them.
What was funny were all the topics calling Vergeben a liar and saying that they'll "hold the after party for when the Grinch Leak is proven real"; multiple accounts with years of use got shuttered over that deal.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
The puff needs more stuff.

And Zelda needs more than three Links. I demand 1 more Zelda and two more Ganons! Make it even.
A buff to Pokémon is a buff to the characters I play. I just hope there isnt a garbage tier pokemon on this smash cycle. I am also hoping Piranha Plant remains outside the worst tier.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
:ultcorrin:
*Transforms arm into spear, impales the ground then follows with a flying kick*

*Transforms hand into terrifying mouth, launches projectile then bites*

*Sprouts wings and gets a boost of horizontal momentum*

*Shreds opponent with flaming chainsaw sword*

Smash Fans "Swordfighters all play the same. We need Edelgarde, she'll be way more unique because she uses a different type of pointy stick!"

And don't get me started on the people who delude themselves enough to lump Robin into that "boring swordfighter" group.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Well with my wants for DLC being deconfirmed as well, I'm happy to say I expect nothing anymore.

Whatever the characters are, I hope they're not Piranha plants. It'd be pretty damn lame if the entire pack was goomba, koopa, squid, lakitu, and regular boo.

It’s Blooper, not squid.

And yeah, you may find that lame, that sounds like a dream come true for me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Smash Fans "Swordfighters all play the same. We need Edelgarde, she'll be way more unique because she uses a different type of pointy stick!"

And don't get me started on the people who delude themselves enough to lump Robin into that "boring swordfighter" group.
NO, BUT ZACH

ShE woULd COmplETe ThE WeaPoN trIANglE

Noipoi

Howdy!

Corrin is the best Fire Emblem character on the roster and you can't convince me other wise.
(Smash wise, in the actual Fates game Corrin sucks)

Xeno324

Smash Rookie
The moon was actualy a giant Sharigan I think. And the Rabbit Girl on The Moon exists and is God, a really pissed God.

On top of Epoch, the ship you get in game.
It makes sense cuz of *Spoilers that I wont mention cause I dont know how they work on board* and it could represent all the ages you can visit. And we can have the non-playable party menbers in the driving seat.

Radical Dreamers was a thing in the Chrono series. I dont know what but it exists.
It was what inspired the Chromo Cross equal

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Is Disney really such a huge obstacle? Really? What reason do they have to be difficult regarding Sora?

I don't understand all the cynicism regarding third party companies when we've already seen how eager most of them are to work with Sakurai and Nintendo, and let Sakurai call the shots.
  • Konami allowing Snake back, despite the animosity between the company and his creator, Kojima.
  • Konami allowing a boatload of Castlevania content that's all classic.
  • Konami also allowing other content as Spirits or Assist Trophies, despite their notorious attitude over the past 3-4 years.
  • Capcom allowing Ken as an Echo Fighter, and having his classic design instead of his nasty SFV design.
  • Capcom allowing Monster Hunter content that isn't pushing Monster Hunter World.
  • Capcom and Konami not demanding that Richter/Ken be full characters instead of less-substantial Echo Fighters.
  • Square Enix letting Sakurai choose Cloud instead of some more recent "promotional" character.
  • Sega allowing Sonic to be in the game for the third time in a row, plus additional characters as Assist Trophies or Spirits.
  • Sega allowing Bayonetta, despite her relative lack of commercial success compared to their other franchises.
  • Bandai Namco allowing Pac-Man to have his classic design instead of his more recent design.
  • Bandai Namco not shoving in another one of their characters like Heihachi, despite them developing the game.
  • Microsoft publicly expressing an openness to allow Banjo Kazooie in Smash, as well as mentioning their cooperation with previous Rare IP's.
  • Microsoft working with Nintendo to establish historic crossplay between their consoles.
  • Microsoft allowing content from their other IP's in Minecraft on Nintendo platforms, including Banjo Kazooie and Halo.
I think most Smash players are more cynical and cutthroat than the companies they're being cynical about. You'd all make good businessmen.
Disney fearmongering tends to be used a lot by Geno fans who want to assure themselves that Sora poses no threat to their character's chances, as well as hardcore Nintendo purists who hated Cloud's inclusion.

NineS

Smash Lord
Oh boy! It's time for the DLC image leaks! Things are about to get interesting, folks

Where's our top-notch image analysts? I'm actually a little excited for this next phase of Smash Speculation.
The image leaks, although they brought hell and disappointment to some, were always some of my favorite bits. You know, as long as they're decent.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
GameFAQs considered a bethesda rep to be a lock?

Man, I envy their optimism.
...Whenever I look at something on gamefaqs, though, it seems more like pessimism to me... Am I looking at the wrong parts of GameFAQs?
Not really, they've seemed really pessimistic the entire time. It's almost like 4chan Lite.

They're also low-key a PlayStation fan site--most of their active users are loyal to PlayStation, so there's often blanket pessimism thrown towards Xbox and Nintendo.

This was before E3, back when we were unsure of what exactly the game even was and were assuming work began in April 2016 at the earliest.
Of course, that information wasn't public yet. But even by power of deduction, Skyrim didn't come to the system until late 2017, and Ultimate had to have been in development since 2014 at the earliest, so even then Bethesda's relationship with Nintendo would've been very fresh, especially compared to all the other companies Nintendo's been dealing with for decades. It'd also be rather uncertain, since there would be no way of telling how well that relationship would go (e.g. EA and Activision's early support for the Wii U that was abandoned as soon as the Wii U's failure was evident), so how embarrassing would it be for Dragonborn or Doom Guy to show up in Smash after the Bethesda relationship went sour?

Thankfully, Bethesda and Nintendo are doing well, so that's not an issue. I know if Dragonborn shows up, my brother will freak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom