• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I Have faith
I just don't wanna cause another problem for this Board just becouse i want a Character in Smash
And there are people here that would prefer to Bully me to death than to let me enjoy my dream character

And i realy don't want that type of problem again
Or i will delete this accound
Hey graizen since you got the biggest pair out of all of us maybe you can ask Hitagi about the first party sword rep if he has any more definitive info.

Palarm

Smash Cadet
Maybe there can be revived hope for Shantae to fill the potnetial DLC Hottie spot... oh right.. spirit. FRACK.
I thought spirits didn't deconfirm?

Also we're discussing Steve being in and you say shantae will fill the hottie spot?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also, it feels like some people are exaggerating how obscure Banjo and Kazooie are. Not many are going to deny that Minecraft is ridiculously influential, iconic and popular, and fewer are going to argue Banjo is more popular than minecraft. But you can’t deny that, at least in the western gaming hemisphere, Banjo is a pretty popular character, at the very least familiar to most people who have an investment in games, and perhaps a few casual players too.
No one is saying he's super obscure.

We are saying people inflate how much he means to gaming and how much he means to Nintendo as well.

And that? That much is true.

There's been plenty of characters like him for all the companies that once were cool little shining stars.

That just fizzled out. That's sad sure, but...

They're not much more special than any of those similar to them.

I mean look at Sony when it comes to platformers from the PS1 era. Holy crap there were a lot of similar cases to Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Gonna be honest, I’m seeing WAY more Steve support here than anywhere else on the internet.
I think the point is that its those of us who spend our time obssessing over character selections over the internet are the minority in general.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Most of the ballot votes would have been cast in those two weeks, when it was advertised through official channels, gaming news sites, and fan communities like this one. Similar to how the bulk of a YouTube video's views come from its first week or two. I doubt the results changed drastically between the first two weeks to the very end of the ballot, so I don't think that choosing the character two weeks after the ballot started meant anything was "cheated." It was simply working ahead, rather than waiting until the very end and then starting work. Which makes sense, given that Smash Wii U sold very poorly compared to previous entries, hence why Ultimate was conceived that year.

The ballot started like 6-7 months after Bayonetta 2 came out. There was a lot of support for her during that time, including from major YouTubers like Maximillian. Even if the game didn't sell spectacularly, because it was on the Wii U, of course, there was still a strong support base for her during that period, especially among the hardcore gamers who were active at the time.

I don't think Sakurai was lying at all when he stated Bayonetta's performance on the ballot. She was a unique, popular, and Nintendo-exclusive character that came at the right time with the right amount of support. It's easy to question it in retrospect now that much of the Smash community has turned against her due to her dominance in the metagame, but back then, it was a very different atmosphere.

Cloud also did really well on the ballot according to Sakurai, getting more votes than any other FF character, and he's been requested since basically the beginning of time, so adding him made sense, ballot or no.
She probably did win the European ballot, Sakurai wouldn’t lie about that. So yeah, she deserved to be in. But when he said “#1 worldwide of all realizable characters”, he probably wasn’t just excluding third-parties like Banjo and Snake, he was probably also excluding characters that would have taken too much work and time at that stage, because of unique models and movesets, like King K. Rool.

But K. Rool and Snake are in now, so I’m not upset about it or anything. It mostly worked out, the ballot was definitely a huge net positive.

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
As if it wasn't clear before, perhaps we shouldn't be putting all of our blind trust in Hitagi? Sure, they've leaked other fighting game stuff correctly before, but that's *other* fighting game stuff. I'm not saying they don't have legit sources, they probably do, but if you make a mistake thinking Katalina is DLC for Smash and then find out it was a different game all together, then I don't know what to tell you, hah. Also, being interested in a sword character but not knowing a name or game they're from, but knowing it's First Party? Like... what? XD I'll take the L when the DLC is Steve, sword fighter, and whatever else comes from Hitagi if it comes to it, but surely it's not okay to blindly believe this stuff at this point.
I have the exact same suspicions over this Hitagi person. Especially with him/her mentioning so many contradicting things from all those questions they answered.

I think I rather just wait and see what Vergeben has to say on these things~

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like how you ignored the important part of the post

And yeah, we do. We have let's see, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 of them now.
Even if you don't count Kirby characters and Captain Falcon, Pokemon are more than 6.

EDIT: I forgot Marth. Still more than 6.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Sakurai did tell us to use our imaginations, so we can make up our own cutscenes and story. It goes along with the series's theme of the characters being toys, and the world and battles being imaginary. So every player gets to make their own story, which actually sounds like a lot of fun.
Makes me wonder if we'll get possible "save files " for multiple playthroughs on shaping said "story".

D

Deleted member

No one is saying he's super obscure.

We are saying people inflate how much he means to gaming and how much he means to Nintendo as well.

And that? That much is true.

There's been plenty of characters like him for all the companies that once were cool little shining stars.

That just fizzled out. That's sad sure, but...

They're not much more special than any of those similar to them.

I mean look at Sony when it comes to platformers from the PS1 era. Holy crap there were a lot of similar cases to Banjo & Kazooie.
I agree, Banjo is certainly pretty irrelevant these days and rather fizzled out, but I’d argue the fact that he’s even managed to sustain the level of popularity he has today, however limited it may be, is a testament to the relative popularity of his games in modern times. You compare him to PS1 platforming characters such as Croc (presumably), yet id say characters such as Croc and Gex or whoever have faded away far more than Banjo ever has. Also, I’m not saying anybody specifically on this forum is calling Banjo obscure, I’m just giving my thoughts on various things I’ve seen people say about Banjo. I hope my argument is clear.
I think the point is that its those of us who spend our time obssessing over character selections over the internet are the minority in general.
Yeah, I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like how you ignored the important part of the post

And yeah, we do. We have let's see, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 of them now.
Because if you read just a page before you asked, you'd see where someone posted the source. It's just a matter of not being lazy.

And do name them, please.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Even if you don't count Kirby characters and Captain Falcon, Pokemon are more than 6.

EDIT: I forgot Marth. Still more than 6.
I said "anime NOBODIES" Pokemon and Kirby aren't nobodies.

1. Robin
2. Chrom
3. Lucina
4. Roy
5. Corrin
6. Shulk

And I like three of those characters, so I don't want to hear anyone whine about "muh Fire Emblem!"

osby

Smash Obsessed

1. Robin
2. Chrom
3. Lucina
4. Roy
5. Corrin
6. Shulk

And I like three of those characters, so I don't want to hear anyone whine about "muh Fire Emblem!"
...You have interesting definitions of "nobody" and "anime".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1. Robin
2. Chrom
3. Lucina
4. Roy
5. Corrin
6. Shulk

Then what constitutes a nobody? Because over a million units sold, in the case of Awakening and Fates, kinda shows they aren't nobodies, friendo.

Also weren't you the guy pushing for Sakura Wars characters?

D

Deleted member

People change the definition of nobody and how obscure you have to be to count to suit their purposes all the time. From some perspectives Corrin is a nobody, from some they aren’t.
Yes I know I was just arguing over how obscure Banjo was shut up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh really? Go out into the street and ask 20 random people who Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, and Corrin are. Guess who most people won't know.

But being a literal who does make you one so....
Most people in the street wouldn't be able to name Link or Cloud either, hate to break it to you.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Then what constitutes a nobody? Because over a million units sold, in the case of Awakening and Fates, kinda shows they aren't nobodies, friendo.

Also weren't you the guy pushing for Sakura Wars characters?
Nobodies are the characters that most people if you ask won't know who they are.

Seven billion people in this world and I guarantee you the majority know who Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, and Link are.

1 million? Not even 1%.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
She probably did win the European ballot, Sakurai wouldn’t lie about that. So yeah, she deserved to be in. But when he said “#1 worldwide of all realizable characters”, he probably wasn’t just excluding third-parties like Banjo and Snake, he was probably also excluding characters that would have taken too much work and time at that stage, because of unique models and movesets, like King K. Rool.

But K. Rool and Snake are in now, so I’m not upset about it or anything. It mostly worked out, the ballot was definitely a huge net positive.
Exactly. The notion that Bayonetta's ballot performance was a lie and that she "cheated" is primarily people using it as justification that Bayonetta shouldn't have been added because they're frustrated by how overpowered she is, that she was added instead of X character, or both, rather than recognizing the circumstances and reasoning that support how she did well in the ballot.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Nobodies are the characters that most people if you ask won't know who they are.

Seven billion people in this world and I guarantee you the majority know who Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, and Link are.

1 million? Not even 1%.
While I do think most people know Link, they just call him Zelda
EDIT :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

1. Robin
2. Chrom
3. Lucina
4. Roy
5. Corrin
6. Shulk

Lucina, Robin, Corrin and Chrom are nobodies? They're not comparable to Kirby sure, but they're made a massive mark in geek culture. You can bet I've seen cosplayers and fannart of them at the conventions I've been to.

Meanwhile Ike, as cool as he is, is only really known because of Smashbros.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Honestly, the fact that people still talk about Banjo-Kazooie today, Yooka-Laylee was funded because there was a demand of a new Banjo-Kazooie (quality notwithstanding), and having some recent merchandise for their 20th anniversary, should tell you that the games are very much remembered fondly.

Like, we don’t see stuff like this for Gex, Croc, or Jersey Devil. Heck, the recent gameplay reveal for the MediEvil remake was kind of a drop in the bucket, as good as it looks.

I won’t pretend that Banjo-Kazooie was this super important series that sold a bazillion games and ended world hunger. But it has something several PS1/N64 era platformers don’t have, demand. Even 10 years after his last game, a game not very well received, this damn bear and bird manage to pop up in discussions every once in a while. I’m very confident that if a new Banjo game (or HD remakes of the first two) are announced, it will be seen as a big deal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1 million? Not even 1%.
And like I said, you're lying to yourself if you think Link is on the level of Mario, Luigi, DK, Pikachu, Sonic, and Pac-Man. He's nowhere near there.

And hell, nine times out of ten, if people did recognize him? They'd probably call him Zelda.

D

Deleted member

Oh really? Go out into the street and ask 20 random people who Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, and Corrin are. Guess who most people won't know.

But being a literal who does make you one so....
Mario is basically the Mickey Mouse equivalent of video games and Pikachu is the mascot of an insanely popular multi-media franchise, it's hardly a fair comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Though, from my personal point of view, perspective and opinion, Corrin is maybe a ‘nobody’, at least relative to other characters. Please do remain calm though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Exactly. The notion that Bayonetta's ballot performance was a lie and that she "cheated" is primarily people using it as justification that Bayonetta shouldn't have been added because they're frustrated by how overpowered she is, that she was added instead of X character, or both, rather than recognizing the circumstances and reasoning that support how she did well in the ballot.
Nah I just use the patch notices to say "lol yeah it was rigged wasnt that a wild trip"

:ultridley: I mean the ballot clearly had a purpose. :ultkrool:

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
So...the entire roster with the exception of the big boys, then?
For real. If this is your criteria then 30+ characters are nobodies that don't deserve a spot.

If that's how you feel? Cool I guess, got nothing against you. Just feels weird that you take the time to point out the characters from one series specifically to do so.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ok , i talked to Hitagi again, this time i asked 4 questions.
1 - Is Steve realy in the game?
2 - Who is the First Party Sword user?
3 - Is Steve looking cool in the game?
4 - Do you have a Hint on the Bandai Namco character?

And she gave me some info , here look:

For Questions 1 and 2:
Hitagi3.jpg

For Question 3:
Hitagi4.jpg

For Question 4:
Hitagi5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom