• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ya'll have such a fear of things that are actually juggernauts in gaming with moveset potential being in Smash...

But won't bat an eye at things that are just sort of...''Okay you have a sizable fanbase sure, but you're not like exactly lighting the world on fire either."

Ya'll are wild sometimes I swear.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That may seem to be the case, until we look at the other possibilities.

Sure, Nintendo do have Minecraft on board their platforms, but chances are, they may also realize that Steve might not actually be the most hyped for in the Smash community.

So, let's consider this. The N64 Classic being in the works would be a keen reason to get Banjo and Kazooie, striking a beneficial deal with Microsoft on that front.

Similar case with Master Chief, especially if Nintendo say, get MC dlc in Minecraft, or maybe see if Microsoft is willing to pull a Minecraft with the Halo series. It was almost in the DS lineup at some pint after all. And if Final Fantasy VII finally coming to Nintendo territory is any indication, Nintendo are good at burying hatchets.

And with how much of a mess Xbox One and its alleged exclusivity is going, Microsoft have never been more open to the idea.

In fact, one could argue that they get more exposure by not having Minecraft take up all slots of the dlc, instead if being a component of what could plausibly be much, much more.
Okay fair... You make some pretty good arguments
We'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, to me personally, "blocky guy who can terraform and craft and wields a pick axe" sounds a lot more interesting than "bear who shoots eggs out of his bird friend," but maybe that's just me.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
View attachment 177787
YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Melmetal's national dex number is 809, meaning it's a Gen 7 Pokemon.
It could still be Gen 8 if it’s like Victini. The worse thing is the index number which is 891 for Meltan. If it were Gen 8, they probably would have started over at 901, like how Gen 6 started over at 701 (Furfrou) and Gen 7 started over at 801 (Mareanie). So unfortunately, Meltan and Melmetal are probably still Gen 7 like you said.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean, to me personally, "blocky guy who can terraform and craft and wields a pick axe" sounds a lot more interesting than "bear who shoots eggs out of his bird friend," but maybe that's just me.
Shhhh. Banjo is a gaming icon and Minecraft is a big poopy head.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The ballot was rigged
Chosen 2 weeks in
we were cheated and lied to
Most of the ballot votes would have been cast in those two weeks, when it was advertised through official channels, gaming news sites, and fan communities like this one. Similar to how the bulk of a YouTube video's views come from its first week or two. I doubt the results changed drastically between the first two weeks to the very end of the ballot, so I don't think that choosing the character two weeks after the ballot started meant anything was "cheated." It was simply working ahead, rather than waiting until the very end and then starting work. Which makes sense, given that Smash Wii U sold very poorly compared to previous entries, hence why Ultimate was conceived that year.

The ballot started like 6-7 months after Bayonetta 2 came out. There was a lot of support for her during that time, including from major YouTubers like Maximillian. Even if the game didn't sell spectacularly, because it was on the Wii U, of course, there was still a strong support base for her during that period, especially among the hardcore gamers who were active at the time.

I don't think Sakurai was lying at all when he stated Bayonetta's performance on the ballot. She was a unique, popular, and Nintendo-exclusive character that came at the right time with the right amount of support. It's easy to question it in retrospect now that much of the Smash community has turned against her due to her dominance in the metagame, but back then, it was a very different atmosphere.

Cloud also did really well on the ballot according to Sakurai, getting more votes than any other FF character, and he's been requested since basically the beginning of time, so adding him made sense, ballot or no.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
She'd be the result of pure business, and business alone. Barely anybody in the community knew about, let alone asked for her before this. She has absolutely no significance to Nintendo or videogames in general. Tell me why she SHOULD be in Smash.
Barely anyone in the American community knew her, but that's not the case in the Japanese community. Also, while this doesn't specifically apply to her, we don't have many female newcomers, or female characters in general, so more are welcomed

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ya'll have such a fear of things are actually juggernauts in gaming with moveset potential being in Smash...

But won't bat an eye at things that are just sort of...''Okay you have a sizable fanbase sure, but you're not like exactly lighting the world on fire either."

Were that juggernauts on Gamecube, SNES or N64, hmm? Think so. I'm sure none of them will be a thing in 60 years, unlike *looks the smudged writing on hand* Banwho and Kazowhat.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Barely anyone in the American community knew her, but that's not the case in the Japanese community. Also, while this doesn't specifically apply to her, we don't have many female newcomers, or female characters in general, so more are welcomed
I don't think we should add a character because of its gender.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Nah, that isn't just you... I'd prefer Steve too
Ya'll have such a fear of things that are actually juggernauts in gaming with moveset potential being in Smash...

Preach it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We are getting the Fantastic Four as fighters and you will love them.

Superman too.

Palarm

Smash Cadet
It's possible although unlikely. It also wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Could have a very fun moveset.
It's more the perception smash could receive if it were in the game, I think it would put alot of people off due to the stigma around fortnite

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Counter argument to Katalina being bad.

She's in a bikini for one of her outfits... There, I've won you over.

Argument on the behalf of Steve.

Memes... Now you can applaud me.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Most of the ballot votes would have been cast in those two weeks, when it was advertised through official channels, gaming news sites, and fan communities like this one. Similar to how the bulk of a YouTube video's views come from its first week or two. I doubt the results changed drastically between the first two weeks to the very end of the ballot, so I don't think that choosing the character two weeks after the ballot started meant anything was "cheated." It was simply working ahead, rather than waiting until the very end and then starting work. Which makes sense, given that Smash Wii U sold very poorly compared to previous entries, hence why Ultimate was conceived that year.

The ballot started like 6-7 months after Bayonetta 2 came out. There was a lot of support for her during that time, including from major YouTubers like Maximillian. Even if the game didn't sell spectacularly, because it was on the Wii U, of course, there was still a strong support base for her during that period, especially among the hardcore gamers who were active at the time.

I don't think Sakurai was lying at all when he stated Bayonetta's performance on the ballot. She was a unique, popular, and Nintendo-exclusive character that came at the right time with the right amount of support. It's easy to question it in retrospect now that much of the Smash community has turned against her due to her dominance in the metagame, but back then, it was a very different atmosphere.

Cloud also did really well on the ballot according to Sakurai, getting more votes than any other FF character, and he's been requested since basically the beginning of time, so adding him made sense, ballot or no.
Can I print and frame this?

D

Deleted member

Not good enough for me.
I would prefer Crash and a Zero Suit Samus skin which gives them the Fantastic Four uniform.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Anyway, Melmetal will be our gen 9 rep. I rest my case.

Gen 10 will be pretty awesome to see in Ultimate tbh

D

Deleted member

I mean, this was possible in Smash 4 and in Ultimate and they are both E10+ games.
ohh come.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The ballot was rigged
Chosen 2 weeks in
we were cheated and lied to
You're kind of dropping into conspiracy land there and making quite a few assumptions with not much evidence to support it. The only statement that is likely true is your 2nd one, where Bayonetta was likely chosen earlier then originally stated. Frankly, the most likely thing that happened is Bayonetta did well enough in the Ballot that they could use it as a point of focus during her announcement. If Bayonetta had indeed not done well in the ballot they likely just would of not mentioned the ballot at all. They likely took advantage of a situation that just happened to occur. It makes far less to me that the entire ballot was rigged just to give a few taglines on an announcement they already had planned.

I'm going to go with Occam's Razor on this one. Cheating and lying requires some kind of evidence they we were indeed lied to or the information was misrepresented. I've seen no evidence to this being the case since we do not have the ballot results to compared to and most statements related to the ballot itself have been pretty vague at best with very few promises being made about it.

D

Deleted member

Personally I’m of the opinion that Bayonetta has being heavily considered for DLC even before the ballot and likely would have been in anyway, but she did decent enough on the ballot for them to pull the trigger in the first week or so.

beans

Smash Lord

Argument on the behalf of Steve.

Memes... Now you can applaud me.
Please, I'm a man of culture.
bunny suit with egg weapons or go back to gacha hell

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

Graizen

Smash Champion
Game :
Predictions / Dreams for 3 DLC slots

1 - Bandai Namco : Heihachi / Klonoa
2 - Square Enix : Erdrick / Crono
3 - Microsoft : Steve / Steve

Pakky

Smash Hero
D

Deleted member

I mean, this was possible in Smash 4 and in Ultimate and they are both E10+ games.
View attachment 177788
What do we need to do to give her a Justin Bailey alt? I need that to be a thing.

Besides that, i am fine with these two skins, but they don’t justify a spot for a newcomer.
A newcomer needs to attract for stuff that isn’t a bikini skin, because then anything could literally join just by that alone.

A newcomer needs appeal, cool movesets with a balanced use of it and also any relation with Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom