• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
With a franchise as big and as iconic as Minecraft, it'd be dumb to shaft it to Mii Costumes... Period...
Especially when Nintendo is choosing the characters, and they seem to be pushing Minecraft quite a lot
Except that's your personal opinion lol.

I honestly don't see all of this "Nintendo is pushing minecraft" content people keep talking about. Nintendo pushes it just like they push any other 3rd party game that comes to their systems. The only difference is Minecraft is practically it's own subgenre.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can I get uhhhhh source for that?

If so though...thank the stars. The last thing we need is another anime nobody with a sword in Smash.
"Another" implies we already have an "anime nobody" though.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Why is she treated like she's the plague? What's wrong with her being in Smash? You may not want her, but that doesn't mean no one wanted her
She'd be the result of pure business, and business alone. Barely anybody in the community knew about, let alone asked for her before this. She has absolutely no significance to Nintendo or videogames in general. Tell me why she SHOULD be in Smash.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
some people like to speculate that we are getting microsft content, like a lock and that could be a minecraft stage with Banjo Kazooie.. or something like that.

Not happening.

If Minecraft content is in, is to represent minecraft, if banjo kazooie is in, is to represent rare. there starts teh story, and there ends the story.. i slike expecting rayman with an assasins creed stage because heh, ubisoft,

Obviously Microsoft benefits directly out of that 2 possible deals (banjo kazzooie a little less unlikely though unless tyhye planning on using that brand for.... something :V) but even if Minecraft doesn't represent Micorosoft, Microsoft still benefits that Minecraft stays super relevant, and starts being associated with teh big boys. ( i mean.. they payed an obscene ammount of money for it, may as well reap the benefits)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I honestly don't see all of this "Nintendo is pushing minecraft" content people keep talking about. Nintendo pushes it just like they push any other 3rd party game that comes to their systems. The only difference is Minecraft is practically it's own subgenre.
And is being loved between Nintendo and Microsoft

D

Deleted member

Even when it comes to Hasbro characters, Zoe Trent has her work cut out for her...
Optimus Prime, Twilight Sparkle, and even Mr. Monopoly are more likely to get in before her...
"Mr. Monopoly" is actually named Rich Uncle Pennybags.
Show some respect to the man, he works hard.
Is there even gonna be a Season 2?
We can only hope, but I'm sort of leaning towards yes since Ultimate is coming out early in the Switch's life and it would make sense to support it for at least a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Even when it comes to Hasbro characters, Zoe Trent has her work cut out for her...
Optimus Prime, Twilight Sparkle, and even Mr. Monopoly are more likely to get in before her...

Never thought I'd talk about Mr Monopoly on a Smash related forum
BOI
Triggered.png

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Should we even trust their Steve claims too at this point? I really don't even know what think at this point
Yes, because Hitagi is still sure of Steve. He's the one character he is sure of and has always been sure of, more so than Katalina.
Wait, the Grinch leak was fake?
I sure hope you're not being serious.
It's true though. Optimus Prime has already been in a fighting game with Simon Belmont and Snake, so the groundwork is already there.

Also Transformers is just better than Littlest Pet Shop. Especially if you only like it for waifu reasons.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Where are people getting the 1st party sword user from?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
...Considering nobody answered my question and I already found out, I’ll take that as a yes.

It always felt like Steve and Katalina were the Kencineroar of DLC.

Granted, Steve might still have a chance but I’m a bit more hopeful now for whoever gets in now that she’s out of the picture.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Is there even gonna be a Season 2?
There’s absolutely nothing suggesting a Season 2. Sakurai has referred to the 5 as “the DLC” characters, and his tweet from last week seemed to suggest that if your character isn’t in this set of DLC their chance is over.

I’d honestly be surprised if we get a Season 2. I feel like everyone genuinely thinking there will be one is kinda already bracing themselves for their favorite not getting in the five.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Actually, If you ask me, it's been getting special treatment

The Creeper Edition 3DS
Multiple Minecraft commercials on Nintendo's Youtube page...
In most Switch ads, Minecraft is the only third party game to be prominently featured among the first party titles..

Nintendo knows Minecraft is big, and they likely want to milk it for all it's worth

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I tried telling ya'll Katalina made no sense for Smash.

Glad to hear Hitagi made a dumb dumb with her.

D

Deleted member

Also Transformers is just better than Littlest Pet Shop. Especially if you only like it for waifu reasons.
It's a great show, for one thing.
And second, Zoe is a better waifu than yours or anyone's waifu
You're just jealous

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's how the Grinch Leak is still real........
THEY'RE ALL GOING TO BE DLC AND THAT WAS THE COMPLETED BANNER WITH ALL THE DLC EXCEPT INCINEROAR WAS EXCLUDED BECAUSE HE WAS ADDED TO THE GAME AT THE VERY LAST SECOND (THE LITERAL DAY BEFORE RELEASE) SO THAT'S WHY HE'S NOT ON THE BANNER.

The Grinch "leak" was always fake, and only lasted as long as it did because people liked the roster it presented.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
And is being loved between Nintendo and Microsoft
Source me on that exact feeling between them lol, because while Minecraft is big, its big literally on everything its on. Bayonetta didn't do at all well on the Wii U and switch combined yet she "won" the ballot for Smash 4 DLC. Relevancy or not, Nintendo is going to put whoever the **** they want in Smash. Minecraft being popular for 10 years doesn't dictate them getting a spot. Nintendo choosing Minecraft to be a character gets them a spot.

If Minecraft gets in, it's because they got in and Sakurai agreed, not because "they can't be Mii costumes only".

Minecraft could be Mii Costume content just as easily as them being a character. Many other 3rd party characters were Mii costumes only in collaboration

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Except there is evidence on here. I've been watching this thread for 6 months now. Katalina ever came up as a character before Hitagi.

Go ahead and search the name/Granblue before August, it's not there.

Yes, there can be fans, but I'm like 99% sure nearly everyone's reaction here to her was "what?" "Who?" Or "why?" when initially rumored and it didnt cross anyone's mind like it is now.
As much as I dislike the notion of character support being labeled as "bandwagoning," especially in regards to characters it should definitely not apply to (e.g. Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Geno), but your point is solid here.

Most characters' support is "grassroots" in that it comes from a character just having a lot of love and support to draw people to voice their request, but a lot of characters get their support from "leaks" that raise the prospect of them being in the game, and then suddenly there's all this support for the character that didn't exist and wouldn't exist beforehand.

Steve would probably have half as much support if Vergeben didn't say there'd be "Minecraft content" in the game, and this Katalina character wouldn't have nearly any support if this Hitagi fellow didn't claim she'd be in the game.

Sometimes it doesn't even take that. The Shantae thread on here exploded after the August 8 Direct when Shovel Knight was deconfirmed, going from less than 50ish pages to over 500 over the course of a couple of months, based on nothing other than the strange notion that "If Shovel Knight isn't playable, then that means Shantae must be playable!" She definitely had significant support before the Direct, but things got out of hand for no concrete reason in August. It wasn't until the Grinch hoax that the momentum was put to a halt.

It could be said, though, that these "leaks" or prospects of characters being in the game can introduce them to people who've never known about them, just as certain characters actually being added to Smash introduces those characters and their franchises to new audiences, thus creating more awareness and support for them. But it isn't as "authentic" as when a character has simply existed and been wanted for years and years for no other reason than people have liked the character and really support their inclusion.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
THEY'RE ALL GOING TO BE DLC AND THAT WAS THE COMPLETED BANNER WITH ALL THE DLC EXCEPT INCINEROAR WAS EXCLUDED BECAUSE HE WAS ADDED TO THE GAME AT THE VERY LAST SECOND (THE LITERAL DAY BEFORE RELEASE) SO THAT'S WHY HE'S NOT ON THE BANNER.

The Grinch "leak" was always fake, and only lasted as long as it did because people liked the roster it presented.
Besides, the Grinch Leak had nothing to do with chairs, it had to be fake.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'll be real I downloaded Minecraft on my Switch for the first time since my roommate likes it and wanted me to at least try it out and uh it's a really really good game and while I don't exactly get how the avatar would translate moveset-wise I'm definitely not opposed

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
There’s absolutely nothing suggesting a Season 2. Sakurai has referred to the 5 as “the DLC” characters, and his tweet from last week seemed to suggest that if your character isn’t in this set of DLC their chance is over.
I’d honestly be surprised if we get a Season 2. I feel like everyone genuinely thinking there will be one is kinda already bracing themselves for their favorite not getting in the five.
Pretty much how i feel, the way they presented the DLC suggests that's all we're getting, even if it makes sense to do a second season of DLC it doesn't mean they're gonna actually do it.
If it's a bad joke about Fire Emblem, there are 7 characters. If not, I don't get it.
Forgot about chrom for a hot minute

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

We need to stop calling it a leak and start calling it a hoax, because that's what it actually was. Calling it a leak puts it beside actual leaks, while calling it a hoax will help inform people that most "leak" claims are actually made up.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Should we even trust their Steve claims too at this point? I really don't even know what think at this point
Their perfect track record is true on other games, but as far as I know we haven't see them be right yet on Smash leaks. Given the fact they aren't even backpedalling now instead they are flat out doing a U turn. I wouldn't trust their claims, they seem to not know what they believe.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Luckily for you, he said that it's not From Zelda, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade...
In before it's a sword welding grass starter Pokemon from Gen 8
I take back what I said earlier...

God has blessed us twice in the same day.

Except Elma would have been cool no lie.

D

Deleted member

If a miracle happened, and we got a Marvel rep, i can have hopes about seeing the Fantastic Four as the ones chosen:

-Started Marvel as we know it today.
-Could involve a creative and diverse moveset similar to Duck Hunt’s.
-Nice ideas for skins, with one opening the idea of including Spider-Man to the moveset.
-Stan Lee always wanted to see them back to glory, being the team that he wanted to see the most after the Fox deal.
-The return of the main line of comics recently, which could boost the chances as a form of promotion.
-The Thing just feels natural next to cartoony or fictional characters like Mario, DK, Mewtwo or even Megaman.
-They could come with cool stuff related to Doctor Doom.
-The stage could involve cameos of characters like Galactus, Silver Surfer, the Watcher, the Avengers or even Black Panther.

For Godzilla, however, i can only see Jet Jaguar.

D

Deleted member

If a miracle happened, and we got a Marvel rep, i can have hopes about seeing the Fantastic Four as the ones chosen:

-Started Marvel as we know it today.
-Could involve a creative and diverse moveset similar to Duck Hunt’s.
-Nice ideas for skins, with one opening the idea of including Spider-Man to the moveset.
-Stan Lee always wanted to see them back to glory, being the team that he wanted to see the most after the Fox deal.
-The return of the main line of comics recently, which could boost the chances as a form of promotion.
-The Thing just feels natural next to cartoony or fictional characters like Mario, DK, Mewtwo or even Megaman.
-They could come with cool stuff related to Doctor Doom.
-The stage could involve cameos of characters like Galactus, Silver Surfer, the Watcher, the Avengers or even Black Panther.

For Godzilla, however, i can only see Jet Jaguar.
The Marvel rep is gonna be Stan Lee himself boi

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Luckily for you, he said that it's not From Zelda, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade...
In before it's a sword welding grass starter Pokemon from Gen 8
No one has provided a source on the Fire Emblem claim yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom