• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Could Crash’s chances improve after the debunk of Kathalina?

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master
Could Crash’s chances improve after the debunk of Kathalina?
With them debunking basically every other notable Western character, they've probably heard about Crash.
I don't know if this news makes them more or less trustworthy though, as I personally didn't trust them in the first place.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Could easily be just spirits. Especially if a different Microsoft rep joins the fray.
If a franchise as big as Minecraft were just Spirits, they would've shown them in the Direct...
It'd be ridiculous to pay so much money for something as ludicrous as Minecraft, only for some PNG images
It could easily be a slew of Mii costumes. I only am taking Vergebens claims as fact at this point, and content could mean many things.
Same thing for Mii Costumes.... It would have been proudly featured in the Direct...
Also, getting the likely expensive rights to use Minecraft for something as small as Mii costumes is kinda dumb...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So it seems like Katalina was a Liam Shovel Knight situation?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So I think that this makes it official, that no matter what, Pokemon gets a special reserved roster slot for each Smash game... Makes sense to me with a franchise that big, and with over 800 possible choices...
Well, it is the most profitable media franchise in the entire world. Bigger than Star Wars, even. So it has the biggest appeal of any franchise in Smash. Out of all the franchises to get special consideration, it's the one that makes the most sense.

Also, given that Pokemon is so formulaic in its gameplay, making the character in advance of a game is easier than other games. Because while gameplay and character design/abilities are more likely to change for other games, Pokemon has a "fill in the blanks" quality where each Pokemon fills a certain mold, no matter how unique they are. Once they're penciled in for the Pokemon game, they're not going to be much different in the final product, so they're reliable in that sense.

Compared to, say, ARMS, where a character's design and abilities might change throughout development, and the early design and concepts might be different from the final game.

So, my guy Incineroar got picked because of his unique personality and potential? I knew Sakurai was a man of culture.

I'm really excited to play World of Light. Even if the story is a bit lacking my years of fanfic experience will surely help fill in the gaps.
Sakurai did tell us to use our imaginations, so we can make up our own cutscenes and story. It goes along with the series's theme of the characters being toys, and the world and battles being imaginary. So every player gets to make their own story, which actually sounds like a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member

I mean, nearly everyone who wants her is clearly bandwagoning. Katalina is pretty much an unknown, secondary character from a currently Japanese only Gacha game (yes, an RPG is coming out to the west eventually) whom I have never heard anyone on this site talk about until Hitagi mentioned her.

I would make the same claim about Steve because I never heard anyone claiming him either before Vergeben said Minecraft, but I'll leave that off the table because it's Minecraft.
As someone who used to do this...

Can we maybe not claim character support is "bandwagoning "? There is no factual way to prove something like that and it comes off as simply trying to downplay a character request because some people don't like it.

D

Deleted member

Zoe's chances have gone up by about 0.001%
Y'all are gonna get annoyed again

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Soulcaliber, perhaps?
The negotiations still seem to be with Nintendo. It’s probably for Project Re: Link and possibly the ArcSys fighting game to come to the Switch. It would make sense considering their 5% stake that they’d want a Platinum game that is probably gonna make a lot of money in the Japanese market to come to their system.

It also makes more sense why Hitagi heard about Katalina specifically, she’s a secondary character in the gacha, but front-and-center in Re: Link.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
RIP Katalina. We will never forget how hot you were... Still a chance for her in Season 2 or completely dead? someone fill me in

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Thank god Katalina isn't in Smash. I knew Nintendo had too much integrity to do such a thing.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
pe by some miracle we get Zael from Last Story in. He's very niche, but his inclusion would mean a remaster of Last Story for Switch, I'd be overjoyed at that.
Now that I think about it, if Hitagi is legit(which I’m doubting anyway but whatever) then the first party swordsman could be Saki. I doubt it’s a Dragalia lost character cause a)probably too new and b) Nintendo seems to want avoid crossing Dragalia Lost over with first-party Nintendo ips.
Back to Saki though
-obscurity would explain why Hitagu doesn’t know him
-has been an assist for the past two games and was pretty interactive but has been cut for some reason
-has been added as a mii costume oddly enough despite his AT being cut
-Sakurai took inspiration from Sin and Punishment for KI:U so he’s clearly familiar with the series
-if Nintendo choosing the DLC means that they gave Sakurai a list of potential characters he could use, Saki could be on that list because the list is bigger than we think or Nintendo has plans for Sin and Punishment
Granted, there is Hitagi saying spirits won’t be DLC, but it’s possible he didn’t know saki was a spirit, and it’s unclear if it’s merely his opinion or not (if the latter, who would he know that?)
IDK man, I’m just spitballing, trying to incite discussion.
Uh? saki? A little out of the left field ... although i think it couldl be a Sakurai's pick... but since he said that wasn't directly involved on the DLC pick... it certainly would be weird, unless a Sin and punishment unkown revival on the horyzon..

I really hope he is not the dragalia's lost protagonist? you sure he didn't said first party lancewoman? XD or axewielder?

Zael would also be super weird... another character taht should bebase game instead of DLC unless big Last Story news incoming.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If a franchise as big as Minecraft were just Spirits, they would've shown them in the Direct...
It'd be ridiculous to pay so much money for something as ludicrous as Minecraft, only for some PNG images

Same thing for Mii Costumes.... It would have been proudly featured in the Direct...
Also, getting the likely expensive rights to use Minecraft for something as small as Mii costumes is kinda dumb...
Except that's an assumption you shouldn't be making right now. We clearly know of quite a few Mii costumes not advertised in the direct. Nearly all of the past Mii costumes we got were shown in pre-release smash directs.

Example: A nintendo direct shows off 2 DLC characters, their stages, music and several new mii costumes added to the store. Minecraft would be no exception.

I'm not denying that Steve can't or won't be a character, I'm just saying it's just as realistic Minecraft content are just Mii costumes since that is all Vergeben has specified.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
We live in a world where Steve is more likely to get in the game than either Bomberman or Banjo... Oh god

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
RIP Katalina. We will never forget how hot you were... Still a chance for her in Season 2 or completely dead? someone fill me in
Pretty sure she's completely dead. She probably has no chance for this game at all

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Except that's an assumption you shouldn't be making right now. We clearly know of quite a few Mii costumes not advertised in the direct. Nearly all of the past Mii costumes we got were shown in pre-release smash directs.

Example: A nintendo direct shows off 2 DLC characters, their stages, music and several new mii costumes added to the store. Minecraft would be no exception.

I'm not denying that Steve can't or won't be a character, I'm just saying it's just as realistic Minecraft content are just Mii costumes since that is all Vergeben has specified.
With a franchise as big and as iconic as Minecraft, it'd be dumb to shaft it to Mii Costumes... Period...
Especially when Nintendo is choosing the characters, and they seem to be pushing Minecraft quite a lot

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Since when?

I’m glad she’s not if legit.
Hitagi, aka the only reason she's even a topic of discussion in the first place, said he spoke too soon about Katalina and believes the discussions around her were not for Smash.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Thank god Katalina isn't in Smash. I knew Nintendo had too much integrity to do such a thing.
Why is she treated like she's the plague? What's wrong with her being in Smash? You may not want her, but that doesn't mean no one wanted her

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
As someone who used to do this...

Can we maybe not claim character support is "bandwagoning "? There is no factual way to prove something like that and it comes off as simply trying to downplay a character request because some people don't like it.
Except there is evidence on here. I've been watching this thread for 6 months now. Katalina never came up as a character before Hitagi.

Go ahead and search the name/Granblue before August, it's not there.

Yes, there can be fans, but I'm like 99% sure nearly everyone's reaction here to her was "what?" "Who?" Or "why?" when initially rumored and it didnt cross anyone's mind like it is now.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Only by a fraction of a fraction because Katalina being debunked left a spot
Even when it comes to Hasbro characters, Zoe Trent has her work cut out for her...
Optimus Prime, Twilight Sparkle, and even Mr. Monopoly are more likely to get in before her...

Never thought I'd talk about Mr Monopoly on a Smash related forum

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zoe's chances have gone up by about 0.001%
Y'all are gonna get annoyed again
Jet Jaguar and the Fantastic Four also got higher chances thanks to the debunk of Kathalina.

I can’t wait to bring the Clobberin’ Time to my rivals, and smash them with my foot as a giant Kaiju.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Yeah I felt so, I was just thinking about you. I assumed you're either having a blast with your BD or just sick. Anyways, you're all well now, that's what matters.
Well that's certainly a sign of maturity. You're on a right track ;)
You're on point with that. Ni no Kuni art was actually done by Studio Ghibli :) It's a dream game for someone like me X)

Music:
GoW: Excellent choice. 117: Didn't fly.
Chibi Robo GC was his best. I think though, this is the best track the game had to offer, perhaps you might agrre X)
Glinting Cosmic Mambo

It is the traditional DQ battle theme, so you won't find fans complaining. I'm not that well versed in DQ world, lore or music, but yes, looking from the outside it kinda sound bland. I guess that's how it is in DQ games, it's kept so traditional. Even the sfx btw.
Yeah being sick is no fun, Im still a little sick, but I am feeling better. And haha thanks I try to be mature in making decisions.
Oh no wonder it looked so familiar, Im with you I love Studio Ghibli films, my favorites are Spirited Away, Priness Mononoke & Where the Wind Rises. Having a character in that art style would be really interesting.

I hadn't heard that Chibi robo track before, forget what I said about the other one, I prefer this one that Spanish guitar part is amazing.
I really wish Nintendo would add some more of their older music tracks to Smash, so that in that way they still get some sort of representation.

To be honest the music outside the game sounds very bland, it might just be because im not familiar with the game. However when I was looking for a really catchy DQ music track they all kind of sounded the same to me. There were some that were better than others, but the music from DQ11 really sounded just kind of ok.

Whats your opinion on the DQ composer? I heard that he is famous for not wanting to share his music outside of DQ games. Wouldn't this hurt a DQ rep? Also the fact that Yoko Shimomura the composer of Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG is already working on Smash Ultimate. Might help the chances of Sora or Geno over a DQ rep. Unless somehow Nintendo can convince Sugiyama to lend them his music, but I kind of doubt he will given his reputation. Also Sugiyama has been in a bad spotlight lately due to his views.

I finally found that Samurai Warriors music track I was looking for, its called Rescue

I could see them adding this song to the wrecking crew stage, Cody's theme its also a song from Final Fight

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It’s probably less about integrity and more about risk. Katalina would be the most predictive character ever, even more so than Corrin (at least they were first-party). And that’s assuming those other Granblue games are even coming to the Switch.

For all they knew, Granblue could crash and burn in the West, and disappear in ten years. There’s an expectation for third-party characters to be iconic and worth the price, if Katalina were rejected by Western fans then it could erode faith in the DLC and the fighters pass over here. They would probably rather give her “slot” to someone who is guaranteed to appeal to both markets and increase consumer confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom