• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Actually, If you ask me, it's been getting special treatment

The Creeper Edition 3DS
Multiple Minecraft commercials on Nintendo's Youtube page...
In most Switch ads, Minecraft is the only third party game to be prominently featured among the first party titles..

Nintendo knows Minecraft is big, and they likely want to milk it for all it's worth

Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not against Steve, I'm just against the notion that his series can't just be costume related like other 3rd parties have been.

I have little siblings, and they love buying skins in games like fortnight and are obsessed with Minecraft and the collaboration skins that game brings. Minecraft Mii costumes would sell ridiculous amounts of money based on this notion alone. It already happens in many "service" games kids like to play these days.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bayonetta didn't do at all well on the Wii U and switch combined yet she "won" the ballot for Smash 4 DLC.
To be honest, how well a game did financially is not a good indicator of popularity, even though I don't think she got the most votes.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
We’re taking about the Grinch hoax again?

I will say that “INCINEROAR IS LEAKER BAIT THE INSIDERS ARE BEING PAID OFF!!!!!” was the most annoying **** ever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be honest, how well a game did financially is not a good indicator of popularity, even though I don't think she got the most votes.
The ballot was rigged
Chosen 2 weeks in
we were cheated and lied to

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
We’re taking about the Grinch hoax again?

I will say that “INCINEROAR IS LEAKER BAIT THE INSIDERS ARE BEING PAID OFF!!!!!” was the most annoying **** ever.
Incineroar WAS leaker baid. The insiders WERE being paid off.

And now we wait *prepares shots*

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
That's my point though. Nintendo just does what they want. It's not only due to sales and iconism (of course they play a part). It's just whatever they feel like works as DLC.

I'm just saying Minecraft Mii costumes would make stupid amounts of money, regardless if Steve is a character or not.

D

Deleted member

For Godzilla, it is either Jet Jaguar... Or just a stage.

Godzilla isn’t like Ridley: he needs to be taller than any building that comes to our minds, that’s something that the character always had to feel like a greater menace or powerful being.

Jet Jaguar, however, is known for being able to change sizes. Thanks to this, he can be the fighter to represent Godzilla, with his Kaiju size being the Final Smash.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not against Steve, I'm just against the notion that his series can't just be costume related like other 3rd parties have been.

I have little siblings, and they love buying skins in games like fortnight and are obsessed with Minecraft and the collaboration skins that game brings. Minecraft Mii costumes would sell ridiculous amounts of money based on this notion alone. It already happens in many "service" games kids like to play these days.
Still, you gotta remember how huge Minecraft really is, it wasn't just a an American phenomenon, it was a worldwide phenomenon, even in Japan... Minecraft is the poster boy of modern gaming and regulating to Mii costumes is just stupid... Especially when Microsoft of all things, owns it, and they probably want some hefty money to give out the rights...

A character is the way to go in my opinion... It makes sense from a marketing and a financial standpoint

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Sakurai did tell us to use our imaginations, so we can make up our own cutscenes and story. It goes along with the series's theme of the characters being toys, and the world and battles being imaginary. So every player gets to make their own story, which actually sounds like a lot of fun.
So our headcanons are canon?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If a franchise as big as Minecraft were just Spirits, they would've shown them in the Direct...
It'd be ridiculous to pay so much money for something as ludicrous as Minecraft, only for some PNG images

Not necessarily.

As others have said, there could be mii costumes abound. However, the big idea is if, per say, Spirits wil be added alongside DLC, which a few have speculated to be the case.

Now, say the Minecraft spirit, stage or costumes are present, they can easily accompany a Microsoft rep like Master Chief or Banjo Kazooie to name a few.

And it makes sense. STEVE'S more of an avatar, so of course he'd fit in as a mii costume. Or a character/hazard/boss in a Minecraft stage. As opposed to being the Microsoft fighter.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
For Godzilla, it is either Jet Jaguar... Or just a stage.

Godzilla isn’t like Ridley: he needs to be taller than any building that comes to our minds, that’s something that the character always had to feel like a greater menace or powerful being.

Jet Jaguar, however, is known for being able to change sizes. Thanks to this, he can be the fighter to represent Godzilla, with his Kaiju size being the Final Smash.
7e179dd3-90c7-49a6-8ab1-0ccc35afd72f.png

Just to prove you wrong, I'm going to campaign for Godzilla in Smash. He's technically not a manga character, so he has an above 0% chance of happening. :p

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Not necessarily.

As others have said, there could be mii costumes abound. However, the big idea is if, per say, Spirits wil be added alongside DLC, which a few have speculated to be the case.

Now, say the Minecraft spirit, stage or costumes are present, they can easily accompany a Microsoft rep like Master Chief or Banjo Kazooie to name a few.

And it makes sense. STEVE'S more of an avatar, so of course he'd fit in as a mii costume. Or a character/hazard/boss in a Minecraft stage. As opposed to being the Microsoft fighter.
We gotta remember that this is Nintendo choosing the DLC, they probably wouldn't want to promote franchises that aren't on their consoles like Banjo Kazooie or Halo, when they can promote one that is prominent on their consoles like Minecraft. From a marketing standpoint on Nintendo's end, Steve is the way to go in terms of Microsoft representation...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
  1. One of the DQ Party Members, including the main hero in any of the games
  2. Gen 8 Pokemon (...Melmetal)
  3. Edelgard. Final smash is 3 houses. Like villager's except 3.
  4. Sakurai Self Insert OC
  5. Galeem (Human Form) (Cory in the House Costume)
There we go, our 5 DLC fighter pack fighters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still, you gotta remember how huge Minecraft really is, it wasn't just a an American phenomenon, it was a worldwide phenomenon, even in Japan... Minecraft is the poster boy of modern gaming and regulating to Mii costumes is just stupid... Especially when Microsoft of all things, owns it, and they probably want some hefty money to give out the rights...

A character is the way to go in my opinion... It makes sense from a marketing and a financial standpoint
Minecraft is popular, but it is not the dominat brand of marketing.
Grand Theft Auto, PUBG are comparable to it too in terms of marketing. Fortnite is new, but it is still very popular and Nintendo has marketed it just as much as Minecraft.
263263263263263263263.jpg

Minecraft is probably more popular than all of those three games I mentioned, but it is not dominant. I heard PUBG is very popular in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
  1. One of the DQ Party Members, including the main hero in any of the games
  2. Gen 8 Pokemon (...Melmetal)
  3. Edelgard. Final smash is 3 houses. Like villager's except 3.
  4. Sakurai Self Insert OC
  5. Galeem (Human Form) (Cory in the House Costume)
There we go, our 5 DLC fighter pack fighters.
compare-vita2.jpg
YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Melmetal's national dex number is 809, meaning it's a Gen 7 Pokemon.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
M
Minecraft is popular, but it is not the dominat brand of marketing.
Grand Theft Auto, PUBG are comparable to it too in terms of marketing. Fortnite is new, but it is still very popular and Nintendo has marketed it just as much as Minecraft.
View attachment 177786
Minecraft is probably more popular than all of those three games I mentioned, but it is not dominant. I heard PUBG is very popular in Japan.
Can't believe we're getting John Fortnite and Phil PUBG for smash DLC.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
We gotta remember that this is Nintendo choosing the DLC, they probably wouldn't want to promote franchises that aren't on their consoles like Banjo Kazooie or Halo, when they can promote one that is prominent on their consoles like Minecraft. From a marketing standpoint on Nintendo's end, Steve is the way to go in terms of Microsoft representation...
That may seem to be the case, until we look at the other possibilities.

Sure, Nintendo do have Minecraft on board their platforms, but chances are, they may also realize that Steve might not actually be the most hyped for as a fighter in the Smash community. So killing two birds with one stone by making him more a costume while also maybe a stage while having a different Microsoft rep could prove to be the more lucrative option by far.

So, let's consider this. The N64 Classic being in the works would be a keen reason to get Banjo and Kazooie, striking a beneficial deal with Microsoft on that front.

Similar case with Master Chief, especially if Nintendo say, get MC dlc in Minecraft, or maybe see if Microsoft is willing to pull a Minecraft with the Halo series. It was almost in the DS lineup at some pint after all. And if Final Fantasy VII finally coming to Nintendo territory is any indication, Nintendo are good at burying hatchets.

And with how much of a mess Xbox One and its alleged exclusivity is going, Microsoft have never been more open to the idea.

In fact, one could argue that they get more exposure by not having Minecraft take up all slots of the dlc, instead if being a component of what could plausibly be much, much more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom