• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Trap is the scientific term I believe
(more seriously though, yeah he’s a guy)
I've spent an entire decade thinking Saki was some chick that occasionally came out of an assist trophy. Wow.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Holy **** apparantly Ridley got buffed with the final build demo, his Up B works properly now, his goddamn tail has dummy priority and sweetspot down B ignores shields. I haven't seen any footage and the source is a youtube comment on Mew2King's analysis but holy ****
Oh god. The down B sweetspot ignores shields? God, that is going have so much mix-up potential. Imagine making your opponent guess whether you'll nair or down b.
I actually got to play as Ridley this Saturday and the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience, which happens to be close by me. Waited in line for three hours and then got two chaotic 2.5 minute games with my family and friend who came with me, where all items were on at max frequency on randomly selected stages (and we got two small ones), so my first game as Dark Samus was a complete blur. Couldn't tell you much about that one, because I couldn't even stand still for a short period of time.

Second game as Ridley, though, was a lot of fun. I won that game, thought I didn't get to use his Side-B or Down-B, which was disappointing. Again, too many players, too many items. I mainly won off of his great Smash attacks. Also each game I got my Final Smash off at the very end, but the countdown doesn't stop for them, which I think is stupid, but oh well.

If I get a chance to go back to the event, and provided there isn't a hugeass line that I have to wait in for three hours, I'll try and test this out. Not sure what dummy priority is, or how his Up-B would've changed, but I can definitely test if Down-B goes through shields.

D

Deleted member

what is Sin and punishment even about anyway?
First game is set in dystopian future of 2007(keep in mind the first game was released in 2000), humans are struggling with famine, scientist create a new species for humans to raise as food, species mutates and become violent monsters called Ruffians, you play as Saki have to fight them off.
(Keep in mind I haven’t yet gotten around to playing the first sin and punishment so this is just from reading the wiki)

D

Deleted member

I actually got to play as Ridley this Saturday and the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience, which happens to be close by me. Waited in line for three hours and then got two chaotic 2.5 minute games with my family and friend who came with me, where all items were on at max frequency on randomly selected stages (and we got two small ones), so my first game as Dark Samus was a complete blur. Couldn't tell you much about that one, because I couldn't even stand still for a short period of time.

Second game as Ridley, though, was a lot of fun. I won that game, thought I didn't get to use his Side-B or Down-B, which was disappointing. Again, too many players, too many items. I mainly won off of his great Smash attacks. Also each game I got my Final Smash off at the very end, but the countdown doesn't stop for them, which I think is stupid, but oh well.

If I get a chance to go back to the event, and provided there isn't a hugeass line that I have to wait in for three hours, I'll try and test this out. Not sure what dummy priority is, or how his Up-B would've changed, but I can definitely test if Down-B goes through shields.
A lot of people seem to think DS is gonna be pretty poor and Ridley might have hidden potential. While I'm happy to hear good things about Ridley, DS' stuff is kinda worrying.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Basically his tail attacks beat Mega Man's projectiles. And his Up B only allowed 4 directions at the E3 demo, apparantly you can do more than 4 directions now

D

Deleted member

What if the Nintendo swordfighter is from a Brand-New IP that they had just started when the roster was finalized, and then they reveal the game in a Direct early next year, and then follow it up with the new fighter?
Just saying

osby

Smash Obsessed
Basically his tail attacks beat Mega Man's projectiles. And his Up B only allowed 4 directions at the E3 demo, apparantly you can do more than 4 directions now
I'm pretty sure everything in the game beats Mega Man's projectiles.

D

Deleted member

What if the Nintendo swordfighter is from a Brand-New IP that they had just started when the roster was finalized, and then they reveal the game in a Direct early next year, and then follow it up with the new fighter?
Just saying
A lot of people would get salty at that, I bet. Some people in this fan base like to get hung up on "legacy" and instantly throw venom at super new things because "They aren't important enough yet/ever will be".

Inklings got a shocking amount of that hurled at them from certain communities during the Smash 4 DLC era, actually.

D

Deleted member

A lot of people would get salty at that, I bet. Some people in this fan base like to get hung up on "legacy" and instantly throw venom at super new things because "They aren't important enough yet/ever will be".

Inklings got a shocking amount of that hurled at them from certain communities during the Smash 4 DLC era, actually.
I guess...
So probably Mii Costume + First New Character next game, if that's the case?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
A lot of people seem to think DS is gonna be pretty poor and Ridley might have hidden potential. While I'm happy to hear good things about Ridley, DS' stuff is kinda worrying.
I'm used to it. Samus was my 4th/3rd character as I played Smash 4 over the past 4 years. Though she did get a substantial set of buffs in one of the last patches, so hopefully as balance goes on with Ultimate, she, and by extension Dark Samus, will get better.

Even if that doesn't happen, I'm kind of okay with it. It just means that Dark Samus/Samus players will be doing so out of love for the character, rather than their competitive viability. I've always felt bad for the people excited for Cloud and Bayonetta, only for them to be the two best characters in the game, so everyone's playing them for their viability, and the people who play them because they love the character get the same hate the "tier whores" do. If that happened to Dark Samus, I'd be a sad boi.

Though the fact that my brother's three favorite characters (Simon, Mewtwo, and Pikachu) are all seemingly top-tier does put me in a worrisome position...

Ah, some protection against projectiles is nice. The fact that I'll be fighting against Simon as Dark Samus is going to be a pain in the rear, since he can apparently block all projectiles with ease. I wonder how Ridley will fare against him.

I didn't really notice how the Up-B worked when I played, though I was under the impression that it was omnidirectional, like Fox's. I'll test it again if I get the chance.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just saying
That would make sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. But if it were a DLC character that was planned from the beginning, wouldn't Nintendo have announced the game by now?

D

Deleted member

That would make sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. But if it were a DLC character that was planned from the beginning, wouldn't Nintendo have announced the game by now?
Nah, they know how we are by now. They'd keep it a surprise to prevent leakers name-dropping the character.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Nah, they know how we are by now. They'd keep it a surprise to prevent leakers name-dropping the character.
Yeah but they're not gonna hold off on announcing a new game, especially if the game's almost done, just for a surprise factor from a totally different game

D

Deleted member

Just saying
I mean it could happen if Nintendo forced Sakurai to use a specific 5 characters, but unless they have a direct sometime soon, wouldn’t they have announced the game by now?

D

Deleted member

Yeah but they're not gonna hold off on announcing a new game, especially if the game's almost done, just for a surprise factor from a totally different game
They would if the other game is Smash
and also who's to say the game is almost done? New IPs take a long time you know

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
They would if the other game is Smash
and also who's to say the game is almost done? New IPs take a long time you know
How long do they take? More than three years to announce them? Games usually don't take longer than four or five years to completely develop, and they're usually announced around a year before release

D

Deleted member

How long do they take? More than three years to announce them? Games usually don't take longer than four or five years to completely develop, and they're usually announced around a year before release
Well
Uh
It was just an Idea don't psychoanalyze it

D

Deleted member

I'm used to it. Samus was my 4th/3rd character as I played Smash 4 over the past 4 years. Though she did get a substantial set of buffs in one of the last patches, so hopefully as balance goes on with Ultimate, she, and by extension Dark Samus, will get better.

Even if that doesn't happen, I'm kind of okay with it. It just means that Dark Samus/Samus players will be doing so out of love for the character, rather than their competitive viability. I've always felt bad for the people excited for Cloud and Bayonetta, only for them to be the two best characters in the game, so everyone's playing them for their viability, and the people who play them because they love the character get the same hate the "tier whores" do. If that happened to Dark Samus, I'd be a sad boi.

Though the fact that my brother's three favorite characters (Simon, Mewtwo, and Pikachu) are all seemingly top-tier does put me in a worrisome position.
I know how you feel for sure. Luigi is getting hit pretty hard this game, but I'm still gonna have him in my rotation regardless, because I love Luigi and have had him in my character rotations since Smash 64.

Also, as happy as I am to see Inkling and Isabelle get praise from competitive players, I hope they aren't too good. I'd rather not get judged for simply playing as my favorites. :(

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
what is Sin and punishment even about anyway?
You're better off just looking up the plot on Wikipedia and watching Youtube videos, as it's one of those over-the-top meta sci-fi anime based games in the vein of Evangelion that's hard to make sense of. The game was dubbed entirely in English with Japanese subtitles but never left Japan until the Wii Virtual Console.

Saki - Main hero, has a gun/laser sword, can turn into a giant Ruffian (think Giga Bowser/mech suit)
Airan - Main heroine, is playable for half of the game,
Achi - Villain, secretly an alien, is the love interest in the second game,
Isa - Saki/Airan's son, protagonist of the second game
Ruffians - Mutants

If you like Star Fox 64, you'll probably eat this series up. Both are on the Wii U Virtual Console, and the second game can be picked up for under $13 new.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I know how you feel for sure. Luigi is getting hit pretty hard this game, but I'm still gonna have him in my rotation regardless, because I love Luigi and have had him in my character rotations since Smash 64.

Also, as happy as I am to see Inkling and Isabelle get praise from competitive players, I hope they aren't too good. I'd rather not get judged for simply playing as my favorites. :(
I'm still scratching my head over Luigi's changes. Seems like they absolutely butchered him for no reason.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Isabelle is my favorite, and I don't care if she's garbage competitively, I'm still gonna play as her the most because she's my gurl. And honestly it doesn't matter to me if she's "good" or "bad" because I'm not a competitive player, so it doesn't matter to me either way. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom