• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
All right people, time to stop talking about DLC, we have a new Famitsu column from Sakurai about the latest Direct. Here are some highlights.

Ken:

He’s different from Ryu in so many ways, one almost wonders whether or not we should even call him an Echo Fighter… Nope. I said he was, so he is.
Well, there it is, folks. Looks like the Echo Fighter label is much more arbitrary than we all thought. Ken is definitely more of a clone compared to the other Echo Fighters, but because Sakurai wants to call him one, that's what he is.

Incineroar (the whole paragraph):

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace.
So once again, Sakurai gave Pokemon an open slot, like with Greninja. He was chosen because of his pro-wrestler style, which is something no other character has. This explicitly highlights how character selection has just as much to do with the character's personality as it does their significance or moveset potential. Which is something I appreciate about almost all the newcomers in this game: they all have a unique personality that they bring to the table, and it's made me more accepting of the characters I wasn't initially too excited for when they were announced. I think the only newcomer without much personality (at least as displayed in Smash) is Chrom.

Trophies (the whole paragraph):

During the planning stage, I had decided on getting rid of the trophy collecting element of the game fairly early on. It felt a bit rash to continue doing so than it originally did, given all of the fighters that have been included up until now. I felt that it would be best to divide my strength among other aspects of the game; making the trophies took quite a bit more effort than people might think.
Looks like the ~800 trophies in Smash 4 were a bigger problem than we could've thought if Sakurai threw them out early on for this game. Making hundreds of HD models is difficult. Grabbing PNG files is not.

Spirits Mode:

I think that “Spirits” – which one could say is Smash Ultimate’s biggest theme – will be easier to understand once you’ve played it. As such, I’m not really going to touch on it until after the game is released, at which point I’ll try to summarize the mode’s design, etc.
So we still don't know everything about the mode, obviously, and it won't be spelled out until after the game is out. Fun that we'll get to discover things on release day!

Matchmaking:

In previous works, as fighting games, we boasted both asynchronous and synchronous communication for matches; in this game, matches will be completely synchronized. If there’s no signal from either end, the match will “freeze” so that neither player can do anything no matter what. Proximity is the top deciding factor.
Looks like they're taking the game's netcode very seriously. It'll definitely have better netcode than Smash 4, which is a definite plus.

Elite Smashes:

Smash veterans can enjoy true battles, as this prevents them from being pitted against beginner players.
I love the emphasis on "true" here. So for those players that really want to test their skills, this is the place to do it. It'll beat practicing against Level 9 CPU's, that's for sure, and definitely beat For Glory matchmaking.

Piranha Plant:

The game is basically finished, but we’re still working on adjusting Piranha Plant since he’s such a unique fighter. It’s obvious that he stands out from the crowd, so I recommend that you all pre-order the game!
So Piranha Plant was chosen because he's so weird, but it looks like that takes more time to tweak and balance than an average fighter, of course. Looks like Sakurai really couldn't help but add at least one weird fighter this game, even if it couldn't make it before the game was finished. Considering the mostly positive reaction, though, seems like he went with the right one.

Galeem:

Did you see him in the game’s “Adventure Mode” cinematic? He obliterated the entire cast with beams of light in one fell swoop! If the opportunity presents itself, I’d like to write more about this mode bit by bit, but there’s just too much to say about it!
Looks like we might get another situation like with SSE, where a lot of the story/backstory that didn't make it into the game was instead written out on the Smash Dojo. So there is going to be somewhat of a substantial story, it seems, even if there's no extra cutscenes or levels and just the Spirit battles and the map. It definitely seems barebones still, but it doesn't look like it'll be completely absent of story.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I only main characters I like in Smash, I mean I play everyone but I really only main Shulk and Zelda chars since their my favs outside of Smash

D

Deleted member

Spirits power up your fighters, right? I wonder if I could assign Incineroar a spirit that fixes his abysmal recovery...
A Spirit that boosts his speed might be your best bet (I'm pretty sure the speed stat affected jump height in Smash 4, right?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Isabelle is my favorite, and I don't care if she's garbage competitively, I'm still gonna play as her the most because she's my gurl. And honestly it doesn't matter to me if she's "good" or "bad" because I'm not a competitive player, so it doesn't matter to me either way. lol
That's me with Incineroar. He isn't looking that amazing, but i'll play him no matter what!

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm confused about spirits, Sakurai has made them sound like they function like custom equipment from smash 4, giving similar boosts.
Do they have random stats equipped too? I know you can level them up. One of my biggest problems with custom equipment was the grind and randomness involved.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
All right people, time to stop talking about DLC, we have a new Famitsu column from Sakurai about the latest Direct. Here are some highlights.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace.
So once again, Sakurai gave Pokemon an open slot, like with Greninja. He was chosen because of his pro-wrestler style, which is something no other character has. This explicitly highlights how character selection has just as much to do with the character's personality as it does their significance or moveset potential. Which is something I appreciate about almost all the newcomers in this game: they all have a unique personality that they bring to the table, and it's made me more accepting of the characters I wasn't initially too excited for when they were announced. I think the only newcomer without much personality (at least as displayed in Smash) is Chrom.
So I think that this makes it official, that no matter what, Pokemon gets a special reserved roster slot for each Smash game... Makes sense to me with a franchise that big, and with over 800 possible choices...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm STILL waiting for the Grinch Leak guy to tell us how the **** he did it

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not to beat a dead horse, but Hitagi has totally backpedaled on Katalina.
https://www.reddit.com/user/Senjoug.../just_a_quick_update_not_answering_questions/
"Totally backpedaled" is an overstatement.

Dude jumped the gun similar to Liam Robertson with Shovel Knight in Sm4sh. It's not "totally backpedalling," it's more information that changes his original claim from "Katalina is in Smash" to "Negotiations for Katalina in Smash are ongoing and could be more than just Smash."

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm STILL waiting for the Grinch Leak guy to tell us how the **** he did it
The 4chan post claiming to have done it is pretty spot on tbh. Someone with basic photoshop skills makes a blurry banner, has a friend in printing print it out for them, fakes the information of some guy who works at a company that works with Namco, and calls it a day.

It's more thought than any previous leak, but still fake.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Ken:

Well, there it is, folks. Looks like the Echo Fighter label is much more arbitrary than we all thought. Ken is definitely more of a clone compared to the other Echo Fighters, but because Sakurai wants to call him one, that's what he is.

Looks like the ~800 trophies in Smash 4 were a bigger problem than we could've thought if Sakurai threw them out early on for this game. Making hundreds of HD models is difficult. Grabbing PNG files is not.

Spirits Mode:

So we still don't know everything about the mode, obviously, and it won't be spelled out until after the game is out. Fun that we'll get to discover things on release day!

Matchmaking:

Looks like they're taking the game's netcode very seriously. It'll definitely have better netcode than Smash 4, which is a definite plus.

Elite Smashes:

I love the emphasis on "true" here. So for those players that really want to test their skills, this is the place to do it. It'll beat practicing against Level 9 CPU's, that's for sure, and definitely beat For Glory matchmaking.

Piranha Plant:

So Piranha Plant was chosen because he's so weird, but it looks like that takes more time to tweak and balance than an average fighter, of course. Looks like Sakurai really couldn't help but add at least one weird fighter this game, even if it couldn't make it before the game was finished. Considering the mostly positive reaction, though, seems like he went with the right one.

Galeem:

Looks like we might get another situation like with SSE, where a lot of the story/backstory that didn't make it into the game was instead written out on the Smash Dojo. So there is going to be somewhat of a substantial story, it seems, even if there's no extra cutscenes or levels and just the Spirit battles and the map. It definitely seems barebones still, but it doesn't look like it'll be completely absent of story.
So, Incineroar got picked because of his unique personality and potential? I knew Sakurai was a man of culture.

I'm really excited to play World of Light. Even if the story is a bit lacking my years of fanfic experience will surely help fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
"Totally backpedaled" is an overstatement.

Dude jumped the gun similar to Liam Robertson with Shovel Knight in Sm4sh. It's not "totally backpedalling," it's more information that changes his original claim from "Katalina is in Smash" to "Negotiations for Katalina in Smash are ongoing and could be more than just Smash."

Should we even trust their Steve claims too at this point? I really don't even know what think at this point

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, how would you react if 2 of the 5 DLC characters were Cole and Alex from Infamous and Prototype?

D

Deleted member

Ken:

Spirits Mode:

Matchmaking:

Elite Smashes:

Piranha Plant:

Galeem:

I understand why they got rid of trophies, but I'm still gonna miss them, and I don't think spirits will be able to fill that hole.
Also I wonder how high the threshold for getting into elite battles will be, and if any old Joe Shmoe wifi warrior like me will be able to get into them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So I guess that makes the lineup seem more like:

SE character
Steve
Bamco character
Western character
First-party sword user

But honestly now I have doubts about this too. I still think Bandana Dee has good chances, and four out of five being third-party seems weird.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, how would you react if 2 of the 5 DLC characters were Cole and Alex from Infamous and Prototype?
I'm okay with Cole as long as he's not two fighters. Though I don't know the first thing about Prototype.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Should we even trust their Steve claims too at this point? I really don't even know what think at this point
remember that Verg claimed Minecraft content of some form, and I doubt it's spirits
He said that Katalina was being discussed for a different project, not for Smash Bros
Soulcaliber, perhaps?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
There is a clear divide between people who wanted Katalina and those who didn't. I, for one, wanted her.
I mean, nearly everyone who wants her is clearly bandwagoning. Katalina is pretty much an unknown, secondary character from a currently Japanese only Gacha game (yes, an RPG is coming out to the west eventually) whom I have never heard anyone on this site talk about until Hitagi mentioned her.

I would make the same claim about Steve because I never heard anyone claiming him either before Vergeben said Minecraft, but I'll leave that off the table because it's Minecraft.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I remember most people (including myself) either being annoyed by the Katalina pick or surprised because they'd never heard of her. I'm a bit surprised so many people now seem bummed that she may not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom