• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Not liking a character doesn't make them nobodies.
Case in point: Bayonetta.

Many people (not me) dislike even her games, but she has proved to be the face of Platinum Games and a cool franchise to work with.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh really? Go out into the street and ask 20 random people who Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, and Corrin are. Guess who most people won't know.
Mario, Sonic and Pikachu are the most extreme examples you could have chosen.

Try asking random people on the street who Mario, Sonic, Pikachu and Olimar are. Guess who most people won't know.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Though, from my personal point of view, perspective and opinion, Corrin is maybe a ‘nobody’, at least relative to other characters. Please do remain calm though.
...eh, they have a presence outside of Smash. It's more than I can say for Roy, Ice Climbers or Captain Falcon.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Yesterday, I came into the thread having a serious discussion on who would actually win a Death Battle.

Today, I come into the thread to a discussion of what makes a character anime and what the definition of a subjective term is.

What a time to be alive.

D

Deleted member

...eh, they have a presence outside of Smash. It's more than I can say for Roy, Ice Climbers or Captain Falcon.
Wow, I completely forgot about Roy. Maybe that’s evidence.
Captain falcon I’d argue has become popular because of smash, alongside the ice climbers to a far lesser extent, but I’m not sure that counts, so it just again comes down to how you define ‘nobody’.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So...the entire roster with the exception of the big boys, then?
It's fun seeing people worm to justify that their waifu simulator deserves the same amount of characters as the world's most iconic gaming franchise.

And then we have Katalina, the literal nobody who started this whole argument in the first place.

You can like Fire Emblem, but you're fooling yourself if you think it's even on the level of most franchises in Smash.

And then there's the fact we have four Marths... ya'll want more characters because they aren't unique enough for your taste but the fact over half of the cast from the series play pretty similar doesn't bother you - which is it?

If I, a massive Zelda fan, think three Links is redundant, why do you justify it when it's not even true to the character?

D

Deleted member

Ok , i talked to Hitagi again, this time i asked 4 questions.
1 - Is Steve realy in the game?
2 - Who is the First Party Sword user?
3 - Is Steve looking cool in the game?
4 - Do you have a Hint on the Bandai Namco character?

And she gave me some info , here look:

For Questions 1 and 2:
View attachment 177800

For Question 3:
View attachment 177801

For Question 4:
View attachment 177802
Maybe there’s a chance that the character isn’t any of the ones named?
We can’t say for sure, but the possibility exists, so i don’t know what to say.

We can expect to not get leaks about the moveset, according to these claims, so the debates would be more interesting.

D

Deleted member

It's fun seeing people worm to justify that their waifu simulator deserves the same amount of characters as the world's most iconic gaming franchise.

And then we have Katalina, the literal nobody who started this whole argument in the first place.

You can like Fire Emblem, but you're fooling yourself if you think it's even on the level of most franchises in Smash.

And then there's the fact we have four Marths... ya'll want more characters because they aren't unique enough for your taste but the fact over half of the cast from the series play pretty similar doesn't bother you - which is it?

If I, a massive Zelda fan, think three Links is redundant, why do you justify it when it's not even true to the character?
I couldn't give two ****s about Fire Emblem. I'm just pointing out that your comparison is flawed.

Noipoi

Howdy!

For Questions 1 and 2:
View attachment 177800

For Question 3:
View attachment 177801

For Question 4:
View attachment 177802
We're all arguing about anime, meanwhile Graizen's getting work done.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mario, Sonic and Pikachu are the most extreme examples you could have chosen.

Try asking random people on the street who Mario, Sonic, Pikachu and Olimar are. Guess who most people won't know.
The point is there aren't seven short spacemen who pluck veggimals from the ground who all look slightly different from each other.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>when everyone's talking about anime nobodies and you're sitting here pushing the most nobody of anime nobodies.
1540524301407.png

D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem deserves all the characters it has in Smash and plus a few more. You can't change my mind.

D

Deleted member

We're all arguing about anime, meanwhile Graizen's getting work done.
That’s why i find him as a nice user.
He actually brings cool stuff to talk about, and is now helping us in regards to Hitagi.

D

Deleted member

The point is there aren't seven short spacemen who pluck veggimals from the ground who all look slightly different from each other.
I kind of wish we had the other captains. Definitely not as separate characters, but as alts at least. Let me play as the President.

Also Alph should've been an echo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Most of the ballot votes would have been cast in those two weeks, when it was advertised through official channels, gaming news sites, and fan communities like this one. Similar to how the bulk of a YouTube video's views come from its first week or two. I doubt the results changed drastically between the first two weeks to the very end of the ballot, so I don't think that choosing the character two weeks after the ballot started meant anything was "cheated." It was simply working ahead, rather than waiting until the very end and then starting work. Which makes sense, given that Smash Wii U sold very poorly compared to previous entries, hence why Ultimate was conceived that year.

The ballot started like 6-7 months after Bayonetta 2 came out. There was a lot of support for her during that time, including from major YouTubers like Maximillian. Even if the game didn't sell spectacularly, because it was on the Wii U, of course, there was still a strong support base for her during that period, especially among the hardcore gamers who were active at the time.

I don't think Sakurai was lying at all when he stated Bayonetta's performance on the ballot. She was a unique, popular, and Nintendo-exclusive character that came at the right time with the right amount of support. It's easy to question it in retrospect now that much of the Smash community has turned against her due to her dominance in the metagame, but back then, it was a very different atmosphere.

Cloud also did really well on the ballot according to Sakurai, getting more votes than any other FF character, and he's been requested since basically the beginning of time, so adding him made sense, ballot or no.
Lord knows. This. I for one, am glad that my 5 votes mattered one way or another.

And we don't have anything actively contradicting it either.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yesterday, I came into the thread having a serious discussion on who would actually win a Death Battle.

Today, I come into the thread to a discussion of what makes a character anime and what the definition of a subjective term is.

What a time to be alive.
Anime? Anime is any form of animation that isn't a videogame

D

Deleted member

Louie, the President, Brittany and Charlie all as Echoes and semi-clones of Olimar. Let the Pikmin revolution begin.
Alph is still an Olimar skin tho.
>when everyone's talking about anime nobodies and you're sitting here pushing the most nobody of anime nobodies.
View attachment 177804
Ha, you're like a little baby, watch this
*Makes a thread for an Etrian Odyssey character*

D

Deleted member

Louie, the President, Brittany and Charlie all as Echoes and semi-clones of Olimar. Let the Pikmin revolution begin.
Alph is still an Olimar skin tho.
I'm not sure if I hate this or love this.

I'd definitely main President though.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
While we're talking B-K, and as someone who has really only dove deep recently, I'm always surprised they are talked about way more than Crash, especially with Crash's recent return to popularity with the new game. Heck, even Spyro just got relaunched and I think he's really not even worth talking about when it comes to getting into Smash at this point.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I kind of wish we had the other captains. Definitely not as separate characters, but as alts at least. Let me play as the President.

Also Alph should've been an echo.
I'd be totally fine with the other captains being alternates. Because in that case, they play exactly the same, not extremely minor tweaks. If Roy/Chrom/Lucina all got shoved into Marth's slot and were alts, I'd be fine with them too.

It's the same way I feel about Richter. Alt material. Ken? Alt material (though at least they made him faithful to his source material.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace

For Questions 1 and 2:
View attachment 177800

For Question 3:
View attachment 177801

For Question 4:
View attachment 177802
Names being thrown around huh? Really hoping one of those names starts with a "Klo" and ends with a "noa". Besides that, nice job on getting more information.

D

Deleted member

I mean, to me personally, "blocky guy who can terraform and craft and wields a pick axe" sounds a lot more interesting than "bear who shoots eggs out of his bird friend," but maybe that's just me.
I wish I could engrave this on my tombstone
I want that franchise to get a villain playable in Smash.

I love my villains.
Have you heard of our lord and savior, the Black Knight?
Edit: https://youtu.be/UwmD6Ms3KGY
Linked because I only now realized there are bad words in the thumbnail

D

Deleted member

This Louie talk reminds me of this really cool drawn Louie moveset someone on 4chan made a few months ago. It basically had him as a unique character, with a moveset revolving around bugs and riding a titan dweevil.
It was cool, I hope someone here has it saved.

D

Deleted member

While we're talking B-K, and as someone who has really only dove deep recently, I'm always surprised they are talked about way more than Crash, especially with Crash's recent return to popularity with the new game. Heck, even Spyro just got relaunched and I think he's really not even worth talking about when it comes to getting into Smash at this point.
The problem with Spyro isn’t just the fact that he returned yesterday, but also that he is unknown in Japan due to the awful ports he got there.

Crash isn’t just popular and likely as DLC, but he is also huge in Japan. I would love to see Spyro alongside him, but at best he joins after the Bandicoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom