• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
******, I was making wishes for death against Sugiyama last night-- which I still stand by.

The difference is knowing when the conversation calls for it. Don't bring up a goddamn non sequitur statement so you can talk politics when 99% of the people in the thread would rather avoid it because it's a subject that never ends well
Versus what, the ESRB leak? Circular conversation about the Grinch leak?
I get that you dont like the conversation, but if you continue to try to silence me, in a way that is incoherent with the rules of this forum, I'm only going to scream louder. The more you play God the more others will feel their horns.
Youre not a savior, and your imperial attitude has overwhelmingly been irrationalized.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Rule 7 is literally that we don't bring up politics in any thread
This is rule seven:

7. No Alternate or Impersonator Accounts

Individuals are prohibited from holding more than one account without express, advance permission from the staff. Alternate accounts may be banned without warning. Any infractions that are issued to alternate accounts may be reissued to the corresponding primary account, in addition to other punishments. Do not create a new account to get around a ban or other punishment; these punishments will simply be extended or made indefinite. Allowing a banned user to use your main account to evade a ban will result in both your account, as well as their main account, both receiving an infraction or an indefinite ban.
Accounts created to impersonate other individuals or entities are not permitted.
  • Ban Evasion - 2 Points, 14 Days
  • Alternate Account/Impersonation - Indefinite Ban

Shroob

Sup?
I get that you dont like the conversation, but if you continue to try to silence me, in a way that is incoherent with the rules of this forum, I'm only going to scream louder. The more you play God the more others will feel their horns.
Youre not a savior, and your imperial attitude has overwhelmingly been irrationalized.
Dude, cut the drama out.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This post got really weird really fast.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
This is rule seven:

7. No Alternate or Impersonator Accounts

Individuals are prohibited from holding more than one account without express, advance permission from the staff. Alternate accounts may be banned without warning. Any infractions that are issued to alternate accounts may be reissued to the corresponding primary account, in addition to other punishments. Do not create a new account to get around a ban or other punishment; these punishments will simply be extended or made indefinite. Allowing a banned user to use your main account to evade a ban will result in both your account, as well as their main account, both receiving an infraction or an indefinite ban.​
Accounts created to impersonate other individuals or entities are not permitted.​
  • Ban Evasion - 2 Points, 14 Days
  • Alternate Account/Impersonation - Indefinite Ban
https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...-rules-and-guidelines-read-this-first.446330/

I'm referring to these rules

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Dude, cut the drama out.
You're right. I should ask if Yoshi is a top or a bottom.

I'm not being disrespectful. You dont want to read it, you can block my posts. Legitimatley, I find your response uncalled for given the parameters of this site.

We can move on to other ballots. Thanks.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Is she 10 years old or a member of the ****** species?
Harvins are basically the setting equivalent of halflings, usually standing at less than one meter tall. The girl on the chicken is the youngest at 16, while the rest are all 20+

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've been watching old Smash 4 speculation videos. Every time they say something like "Man, this looks like the biggest Smash ever!" I can't help but giggle.

They have no idea what's coming!

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Hypothetical:

Squad Strike with 3 stocks becomes the de facto ruleset for Ultimate. Who are your three?

I'd go Pac, Yoshi and G&W

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Smash takes from a lot of different games that attract different crowds. Smash is a celebration of all things Nintendo and video games. For this reason, the competitive scene and competitive elements must exist. Rejecting the chaotic part of Smash is in no way wasteful. You can't "waste" what you didn't want in the first place. Competitive play will never get boring, because that's what competitive players want to play.

Let's make myself an example. When I play a video game, I want to analyze the game and come up with the best strategy to win, and items are 100% RNG wildcards. My way of enjoying Smash reflects the fact that Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are my all time favorite franchises. I love competitive, Smogon-like Pokemon gameplay, finding the best way to defeat bosses and solve puzzles in Zelda, training my units and finding out the coolest ways to clear maps in FE and building an OP team to stomp the superbosses in Xenoblade.
Games like Mario Party and Mario Kart just don't appeal to me. They are too irrational, full of spur of the moment chaos that just makes me shake my head and switch games.

To me, craziness and chaos is not part of enjoying video games, it's something that kills my enjoyment. I want to feel in control, I want to plan, I want things to follow a logical pattern that I can unravel. How can I enjoy Assist Trophies and Pokeballs when things like Palkia and Skull Kid show up and take all that away? When a box randomly turns out to be a bomb for no reason, or turns out to be full of many useless items? It doesn't feel like the risk/reward of attacking an enemy unit with a 70% hit rate in FE or using Fire Blast in Pokemon. The "reward" in a Pokeball may turn out to be a Goldeen instead of being punished by Palkia, or a super weak Pokemon that doesn't help at all.

Last time I played Mario Party with my friends we all ended slightly frustrated and just stopped after a short while. We opted instead to play competitive friendlies in Smash and enjoyed the rest of the day. Last time I played Classic mode I quit because I got tired of dumb items and stage hazards getting in the way of the game. If I have to play with items, I'd rather not play. It's not fun, because that's not the type of game that I like to play.

Smash needs to maintain competitive elements to be a true celebration of Nintendo/video games.

I played Brawl for over a thousand hours, I went to many locals for years, and every time I tripped, I felt like the game was punishing me for playing how I want. It's like the game wanted to reject me and my style of playing. I've never looked back at Brawl, not once, after Smash 4 came out, and I don't plan on ever playing it again. Melee? 64? I can play and enjoy, but Brawl? **** Brawl, with a big, bold capital F.

It's borderline insulting when a game that's supposed to be a celebration of video games spits on the reasons you like video games in the first place.
See, that's part of my problem. If Smash is a celebration, then it should feel like a party, not a chess match. If you like playing chess matches, good for you! I do, too! But I don't necessarily go to a big, noisy party and then try to play chess in the middle of it. Brawl was my favorite Smash for a while because it was taking the Nintendo franchises I love just as much as you do and having them interact in crazy, joyful, bizarre ways (in a storyline, no less) that are uniquely Nintendo. If I wanted a strategic, no-frills fighter, I'd go elsewhere.

But even still, SSBU is implementing things like hazards off, Battlefield and Omega forms, etc, to try to accommodate a community that the game is still not focused on. I may be wrong in my estimation, but it just feels like the competitive community acts like they're being snubbed and personally attacked because Smash has never been about them, which has always seemed, well... childish to me. I don't mean to offend, and I'm happy to agree to disagree, accept that there are different strokes for different folks, and all those cliches. I just don't get the other side.

Double K

Smash Lord
Hypothetical:

Squad Strike with 3 stocks becomes the de facto ruleset for Ultimate. Who are your three?

Squad Strike is pick 3 characters and when one is stocked, you move to another?

****, I'd need to experiment a lot

See, that's part of my problem. If Smash is a celebration, then it should feel like a party, not a chess match. If you like playing chess matches, good for you! I do, too! But I don't necessarily go to a big, noisy party and then try to play chess in the middle of it. Brawl was my favorite Smash for a while because it was taking the Nintendo franchises I love just as much as you do and having them interact in crazy, joyful, bizarre ways (in a storyline, no less) that are uniquely Nintendo. If I wanted a strategic, no-frills fighter, I'd go elsewhere.

But even still, SSBU is implementing things like hazards off, Battlefield and Omega forms, etc, to try to accommodate a community that the game is still not focused on. I may be wrong in my estimation, but it just feels like the competitive community acts like they're being snubbed and personally attacked because Smash has never been about them, which has always seemed, well... childish to me. I don't mean to offend, and I'm happy to agree to disagree, accept that there are different strokes for different folks, and all those cliches. I just don't get the other side.
The stage list is likely a preliminary thing that will be expanded upon in later months, so don't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Hypothetical:

Seriously considering picking up Villager just so I can do a gardening-themed squad with Olimar and Piranha Plant.

Otherwise, looks like it'll probably be Olimar, ROB and Piranha Plant.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Indeed.

Here is something more important that you aren't all considering-- Harvins

I feel like Granblue owes so much to the amazing art of Hideo Minaba (artist for many FF games). It really is gorgeous. I wish there was a gacha with art done by Rui Komatsuzaki (the Danganronpa artist), that would be lit.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hm. i dont understand why this game receives different rules than the rest of the forum. Its illogical in a way that I'm sure will not be held by others. But I will respect the stated, random forum-generated rules.
There's the universal rules, which apply to all of the forums, and then there's the more individual forum rules dedicated to the specific needs of different sections. It's pretty normal in large forums like this.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

If Smash Ultimate cannot appeal to all sides, I dont feel all sides have their ears open.
Granted, I'm not a competitive player, and i have a bias for the fun of a game over 1000 bucks I could potentially win at a tournament.
That said, the game isnt even out yet so I dont see how the competitive side could really pose a legitimate argument against this game.
I'd love to hear why I'm wrong- I just do not see it.

Double K

Smash Lord
I feel like Granblue owes so much to the amazing art of Hideo Minaba (artist for many FF games). It really is gorgeous. I wish there was a gacha with art done by Rui Komatsuzaki (the Danganronpa artist), that would be lit.
Well, Fate/Grand Order at least has two characters, who are basically Komaeda and Kirigiri

Edmon Dantes, the Count of Monte Cristo

Cleopatra

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was just looking at the Smash Bros page....
It is still so odd to me to see "Other fighters from this series" and then to not see
-Dixie Kong
-Meowth
-Toad

I know we discuss this in circles all the time, but I'm back down the loop.
This. It's depressing that they are still not playable in Smash. 5 games. 20 years. And they are still not playable.

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
I've been watching old Smash 4 speculation videos. Every time they say something like "Man, this looks like the biggest Smash ever!" I can't help but giggle.

They have no idea what's coming!
I totally agree with you on that! :kirby:

This game is truly shaping to be one incredible collaboration. I mean, looking at what we have just so far, it's hard not to appreciate all the hard work Sakurai and his team have done, and my god, will I be playing this game a ton. Took the day off for it (had a ton of vacation time to use anyway) and having some friends over to play together.

Oh Smash brothers, thanks for being so awesome!! :D

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yo, I know that y'all are feed-up about Hitagi, but HEY LOOK. Guess who was right about him saying "I haven't heard anything"/"nothing" about some SE-REP (Mainly Sora/Geno/Neku)
But it's also something very important, since he explain the **** that people missinterpret or say about him and Vergeben like Youtubers, and here Papagenos

I guess I have to respond to PapaGenos to some sorts here but I'll pin this message.

I have heard the 7 SE reps that Vergeben has stated being talked about as well. The problem is that I have to be really vague right now because I can't really show signs of which characters are showing up as being more likely as of now. I also realized that people are misinterpreting what I say so I'll state it here. When answered no to the SE reps, it more like they aren't confirmed being real just yet. As far as all the other non-SE characters, I said no because I actually haven't heard anything of them being a character or they have been de-confirmed. I want to make that very clear.

Also, I haven't back tracked on Steve. This is what I mean by PapaGenos checking his sources. It wasn't just for his Banjo leak, it was for all of his videos. He's gotten stuff about me and Vergeben wrong multiple times, and he just needs to check sources or correct his mistakes when making videos. PapaGenos you aren't a bad youtuber (although your videos tend to drag a bit too long), but you need to correct your mistakes because we get **** from people because of you.

As far as my confidence in what characters are being decided I have very good sources, so I have a lot of confidence. That being said, if I'm ever wrong (which I haven't yet), it's usually because of a misunderstanding on my end, not my sources.
Source

NineS

Smash Lord
******, I was making wishes for death against Sugiyama last night-- which I still stand by.

The difference is knowing when the conversation calls for it. Don't bring up a goddamn non sequitur statement so you can talk politics when 99% of the people in the thread would rather avoid it because it's a subject that never ends well
not to be that guy, but y'see folks.
this is why we shouldn't do politics
this is why i don't like politics.
not in smash.

On another note, HEY! This thing is in Smash:

Just wanted to remind you all that this thing right here in in smash.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This. It's depressing that they are still not playable in Smash. 5 games. 20 years. And they are still not playable.
I legitimately just want to understand.
I get that not everyone sees them as important... but they are certainly Nintendo All Stars.
We can debate to the end of the earth if that is important- but they certainly are characters identifiable to the genre.
I just dont see why they arent in yet.

Ironically, Dixie Kong the most. She is the only 'forbidden 7' character to not get in. You could argue Tetra/Toon Zelda, but we have a new Zelda that seems pretty hybrid toon to me.
I legitimately just want to understand.

Double K

Smash Lord
not to be that guy, buty'see folks.
this is why we shouldn't do politics
this is why i don't like politics.
not in smash.

On another note, HEY! This thing is in Smash:

Just wanted to remind you all that this thing right here in in smash.
Oh god, Jiggs has a little elvis curl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom