• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
im willing to give most of these characters people suggest a shot but seriously ya'll slime? come on. that character screams assist trophy at most.

if a new character from zelda came out as dlc and it was a bokoblin people would lose your minds.

you may not want it to be a dq protagonist, but that is what it would be. look at FE there are many many more interesting characters than the main lord but none of them have gotten in in 5 games. the acknowledgment of tiki and black knight as assist trophies was very encouraging.

the hard truth for some people here is that their childhood favorites aren't that big to nintendo as a company and not worth the effort or investment in dlc.

stop using PP as some sort of door to open the possibilities to other generic enemies or small-time characters. it doesnt do that it is sakurai being sakurai the one random character we always get
64-jiggs
melee- game and watch
brawl- R.O.B.
smash 4-wii fit
ultimate- PP
you can identify these characters as saukrai picks because they have similar issues and patterns.

i dont know much about rob in brawl but wii fit and game and watch each had issues on hitboxes, move functionality, and didnt seem as tested as other characters. melee game and watch shield didnt even cover his entire body. to me that suggests that these characters were finished late and tested very little during development. Sakurai is a troll (we love him for it) but these character inclusions are more for humor imo than anything else. plus a certain type of player loves these characters.
by making PP dlc they can take their time and make sure the character actually is functional in all aspects before release.
my other theory is that PP was supposed to be in the base game but time ran out. i think we will learn that a few years down the road.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Though I'm gonna maintain the real reason why Cloud only speaks Japanese is so he can call the other fighters names behind their backs, occasionally you will hear Marth and Roy giggle when he says something. Rosalina turns curiously and asks if he said anything. They deny everything.

Headcanon: Cloud is **** talking everyone in Japanese and only Roy and Marth understand what he says.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Though I'm gonna maintain the real reason why Cloud only speaks Japanese is so he can call the other fighters names behind their backs, occasionally you will hear Marth and Roy giggle when he says something. Rosalina turns curiously and asks if he said anything. They deny everything.

Headcanon: Cloud is **** talking everyone in Japanese and only Roy and Marth understand what he says.
It's been a while since I've heard this "every foreigner must be swearing at us behind our backs" thing... it made me feel old.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Question; why is Steve so hated in Smash? Is minecraft really that bad?
Like Idon said, it all boils down to the community most of the time which can be toxic. Then again, any fandom has their toxic bunch and it tends to spoil the rest of the apples in the barrel.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I wish that they could not make him blocky ......and just an normal dude ? is that too basic or odd for Minecraft? yeah but still

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wish that they could not make him blocky ......and just an normal dude ? is that too basic or odd for Minecraft? yeah but still
literally what would be the point then

you're literally doing what roblox did to their blocky guys

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's been a while since I've heard this "every foreigner must be swearing at us behind our backs" thing... it made me feel old.
I mean not every foreigner is. That's just stupid, dumb, and racist fear mongering for the whole ''SPEAK ENGLISH!" thing.

I just like my Cloud to be a silly man who does silly things like say ''Let's Mosey!" and curse people out behind their backs.

He's more interesting that way than the emo-tastic man Advent Children tried to make him out to be.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A

Headcanons like these lose all meaning when you switch the language setting to the original Japanese...unless you’re the Mario cast, the Mother kids and Captain Falcon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sure the aesthetics must please its audience, but it's just not my thing. If I wanted Minecraft content in Smash, I'd rather see Dragon Quest Builders instead.

Also, I fail to see what pandas have to do with cats.

Eh, Pichu made it, and I'd hesitate to call him important to anything outside "may-lay veteran thoooooo"
Yeah, him and PP alone should force people to re-evaluate Smash's supposed "all-star" criteria, because it doesn't exist. If people remember a character enough and they're from a non-licensed video game, they can potentially get in.

I think that Rare panel is happening now if I am not mistaken?
Yes, it's just about Sea of Thieves.

Oh, man - I just went to visit my parents for the weekend and pulled out my old WiiU Smash. It's...

well, honestly it's not as bad as I thought, I was just bummed for a few missing vets and newcomers I wanted. Now I'm really ready for :ultpokemontrainer::ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle:. But I did find a few pictures on my old SD card and the trophy gallery that are fun. I'm gonna miss that a bit...click to embiggen
View attachment 177240
my first picture when I first got the game. I'm excited to see how Link/Zelda have improved - especially now that it looks like Zelda is no longer trash.
View attachment 177241
I took this with my mains and one of my major wants. Can't believe it's finally happening...
View attachment 177243
Same with this one. I can finally see all of these battles!
View attachment 177242
One of my favorite shots here
View attachment 177244
I took this on release. Who's just a trophy now?
The end of an era indeed. So long, regular trophies, and thanks for the trivia.

f2e.jpg_large.jpg

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I know it is a Sea of Theives panel, but weren’t they suppose to talk about other things as well?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just like my Cloud to be a silly man who does silly things like say ''Let's Mosey!" and curse people out behind their backs.

He's more interesting that way than the emo-tastic man Advent Children tried to make him out to be.
Which is why I'm looking forward to FFVII Remake. That is, assuming SE doesn't implode before then...

Typical Japan giving older looking characters younger ages.
Because growing up sucks.

No, seriously, if you end up as a salaryman, it's a dead-end job that involves you going on overtime and barely getting to see your wife and kids.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
If Sakurai sticks to the source material to make the character, like he does with all 3rd party reps, the animations incredibly limited and awkward.
I really hate the bendy limbs stuff that youtubers do, it's really uncanny and even more awkward to me.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
Minecraft Steve's optimal time was Smash 4, when Minecraft was still making the headlines and big bucks on YT

Now though, Minecraft is old news compared to Roblox, which itself is now old news compared to Fortnite

Therefore, the most optimal newcomer is Fortnite.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Well, knowing that we've seen pretty much every character alt so far, here's two questions. What is the worst single alt in the game, in your opinion, and who do you all think has the worst set in the game overall?
Single worst: Yellow Pac-Man
Worst Set: IMO Ganondorf or Lucario

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
View attachment 177248

They did exactly what you wanted. The backlash was so strong they had to can it.
>that human avatar

Well at least that they tried to include Rothro that looks like r15 but taller. And believe it or not, it's working. Many people are making their avatars into some meme people, disgusting avatars, and others that I can think of.

I even hate that human avatar, so yeah.

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
Well, knowing that we've seen pretty much every character alt so far, here's two questions. What is the worst single alt in the game, in your opinion, and who do you all think has the worst set in the game overall?

Not sure myself, but I'll say :ultwiifittrainer: for the 2nd one, and...not sure about the 1st one.
I love sonic but all his alts are just different shades of blue! Awful.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Minecraft Steve's optimal time was Smash 4, when Minecraft was still making the headlines and big bucks on YT

Now though, Minecraft is old news compared to Roblox, which itself is now old news compared to Fortnite

Therefore, the most optimal newcomer is Fortnite.
Hitagi did say that there might be another western third party character alongside Steve... What if it's the Fortnite Guy?
(I'm kinda joking)

D

Deleted member

...are you still in high school or something where that's still actually a thing? These days, outside of a school setting, you're more likely to be bullied by a geek than anything.
Are you not familiar with the "Gamers Rise Up" meme?

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
Hitagi did say that there might be another western third party character alongside Steve... What if it's the Fortnite Guy?
(I'm kinda joking)
he arrives off the battle bus onto the battlefield
he dances after every KO & in his victory animations + taunts
neutral b- build structure
side b- grenade
up B- glider
down b- set trap
he uses various guns and an axe for his standard attacks
his final smash is aim-able rocket launcher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.