• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I think if anything it's that we're simply running out of characters to choose.

A new Zelda rep, Geno, Rex & Pyra, Heihachi, Banjo-Kazooie.

Those are, at the very least, five characters that would fill the Fighters Pass and make everyone satisfied, if that's what Hitagi is saying.

And y'know what? You can just end it there. No more characters, because really after that, who is now left? Another Final Fantasy VII character? Funky Kong?
There's no way we're getting a Fire Emblem: Three Houses rep and a Pokemon Gen 8 rep, that's for sure.
did you quote the wrong person or do you really think that a character not happening this set of dlc deconfirms them for a potential second set

D

Deleted member

Eh,

I think a lot of people would be angry if Heihachi were to be the only 3rd party that is not Banjo/Geno to make it into the dlc roster
Well, who'd be left then?

Sora? Master Chief? A Bethesda rep?

Because trust me, as much as I'd be excited for those for many reasons, there are a lot of things that hold these guys back, in some shape and form. We already have Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter get upgraded in ways, but oddly enough not Tekken?

D

Deleted member

We are getting the La Li Lu Le Lo in the Fighter Pass, and you will have to like it.

It is an order.

D

Deleted member

If we’re getting a Tekken character, I’d much rather have Yoshimitsu (preferably with a Soul Calibur 6 alt).

Bionichute

Smash Champion

Because trust me, as much as I'd be excited for those for many reasons, there are a lot of things that hold these guys back, in some shape and form. We already have Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter get upgraded in ways, but oddly enough not Tekken?
i can assure you that your list of characters would not actually satisfy me, and i think you're projecting on that front. there is literally no way any possible combination of characters could be satisfying to Everyone

D

Deleted member

Crash Bandicoot.

D

Deleted member

did you quote the wrong person or do you really think that a character not happening this set of dlc deconfirms them for a potential second set
Don't get me wrong, I'd be down for a second round of DLC, but the problem lies with the characters that are left to put into Smash. People will say "Oh, Piranha Plant is in, sky's the limit", but that's simply not the case when it's a clear fact that the Mario enemies are an iconic part of gaming and Nintendo. We already have Goomba and Monty Mole in Super Mario Party, Petey Piranha back in Mario Tennis Aces, and probably another role I'm forgetting.

Not to mention, the Petey Piranha boss battle in Subspace is pretty iconic too, for being the first official boss in Smash, so Piranha Plant actually does hold a lot of weight.

I'm all for more characters, but I'm just starting to feel like we're almost reaching the end.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

If you've been paying attention to the last few pages, there's still one longstanding franchise is Smash that's been left in the dust with at least 2 viable characters...

KMDP

Smash Legend
But “Everyone will enjoy it!” :glare:
Ah, the old assumption that everyone has the same tastes, thoughts and feelings regarding a subject and nobody ever differs in opinion.

Seriously, Hitagi is a fool if they believe that.

Just as a thought experiment: let's say Katalina gets in and ends up as the next :4bayonetta:, you can bet your ass that very few people will actually enjoy that, especially because Katalina is an actual nobody to the Western audience (and therefore won't have very many people rising to her defense). And people thought crowds booing Bayonetta at the E3 invitational and EVO finals was bad? :laugh:
-----------------------------
Regardless, for a Western-made Third Party Character, I'd say Crash Bandicoot is probably the best option, because he's a) Popular in Japan and b) already making a comeback.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Plenty of other 3rd parties many people want from the represented companies like Lloyd, Phoenix Wright, Sonic rep, etc

And yes I do find it odd that the fighting game giant that is Tekken didn't get at least an assist trophy

D

Deleted member

If you've been paying attention to the last few pages, there's still one longstanding franchise is Smash that's been left in the dust with at least 2 viable characters...
I agree, we really need a new F-Zero character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, Golden Sun.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm in the same boat. I'll gladly take more Smash content... but if the second wave is as big as the first one, the DLC alone would approach the cost of the game itself. That just seems sort of extreme to me.

For my own sake, I'm assuming these are the last five Smash Ultimate characters. And then the last Smash characters... for a very long time.
Honestly, I’d love another season.

The ‘leaked’ characters aren’t interesting me, so I’m considering not buying the fighter pass. Even so, you’re paying for a fighter and a stage and music, so there is a lot there. I’d love if we got cheaper cosmetic DLC or extra echoes outside of the packs as well.

That’s the fun part about DLC: it is optional. I’m leaning towards not buying the parts that I don’t really need. If they give me a great character though, then I’ll go for it.

I do agree that this should be the last Smash for a while, but because of that, I’d like long support. Once a game stops getting supported, it starts to die off.

And yes, I know that people in competitive are being ‘forced’ to buy all characters to keep up with the meta. However, as a casual, I see this as “I choose to keep up and play competitively, so it’s my choice to buy characters I never play” rather than “Sakurai is putting a gun to my head and stealing money from my wallet.”

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I'd be down for a second round of DLC, but the problem lies with the characters that are left to put into Smash. People will say "Oh, Piranha Plant is in, sky's the limit", but that's simply not the case when it's a clear fact that the Mario enemies are an iconic part of gaming and Nintendo. We already have Goomba and Monty Mole in Super Mario Party, Petey Piranha back in Mario Tennis Aces, and probably another role I'm forgetting.

Not to mention, the Petey Piranha boss battle in Subspace is pretty iconic too, for being the first official boss in Smash, so Piranha Plant actually does hold a lot of weight.

I'm all for more characters, but I'm just starting to feel like we're almost reaching the end.
there isn't an "end", because we don't know if an end could even happen. all speculation about spirits deconfirming people is entirely that, speculation, and there isn't exactly a reason why assist trophies can't become playable characters

you're singing doom and gloom mostly because you don't personally have that many more characters you could want in

D

Deleted member

Crash Bandicoot.
I would love Crash in Smash, and also CTR is the best Crash game.

But I just don't know if his previous Sonic-esque relationship with Nintendo before the N. Sane Trilogy is enough to bolster him, especially when he's, at the end of the day, primarily known as a mascot for Sony. I do think the N. Sane Trilogy and his popularity in Japan has helped him very recently, but the Switch release of Crash was this year in the Summer, long before any decisions could be changed.

Who knows, really.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ah, the old assumption that everyone has the same tastes, thoughts and feelings regarding a subject and nobody ever differs in opinion.

Seriously, Hitagi is a fool if they believe that.

Just as a thought experiment: let's say Katalina gets in and ends up as the next :4bayonetta:, you can bet your *** that very few people will actually enjoy that, especially because Katalina is an actual nobody to the Western audience (and therefore won't have very many people rising to her defense). And people thought crowds booing Bayonetta at the E3 invitational and EVO finals was bad? :laugh:
I thought it was because people were being sore losers.

D

Deleted member

Plenty of other 3rd parties many people want from the represented companies like Lloyd, Phoenix Wright, Sonic rep, etc

And yes I do find it odd that the fighting game giant that is Tekken didn't get at least an assist trophy
Out of all of those choices, I actually do see Phoenix Wright having a shot. He is still pretty popular in Japan, but what about Americas and Europe? I'm not asking that as in "Are they REALLY that popular", I just wanna know if they still got that oomph for Phoenix, because it has been quite the while since the last Ace Attorney game.

And if Sakurai can make a moveset for Piranha Plant and Phoenix has a UMVC3 moveset, there's no excuse.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
“Satisfying to everyone”
The desperate Golden Sun Fan in me is screaming to the gods right now
satisfying to everyone but also including shill characters steve and granblue lady aka probably the least satisfying characters you could come up with

KMDP

Smash Legend
If Crash Bandicoot ends up in Smash, he needs to have two different trailers, one for the West and one for Japan.

For maximum hilarity, they should be made for the opposite culture, with no translation.
I thought it was because people were being sore losers.
I believe the Bayonetta EVO thing was more about the two finalists being sore winners (and obviously not taking the event seriously, disrespecting both the audience and every other contestant who participated).

Unless that's not what you were talking about.

Noipoi

Howdy!
R.O.B. has been sitting there for over a decade and still only has one rep. That's a travesty.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
satisfying to everyone but also including shill characters steve and granblue lady aka probably the least satisfying characters you could come up with
I always thought Katalina would be cool cause she would be a Lancer-ish...also I would much rather have Creeper over Steve if we even get a Minecraft Rep. Creeper, funnily enough, has more personality than Steve.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I do agree with Zinith here, if I'm following this discussion correctly. While there's still quite the overlap between the Mario and Yoshi series they are still separate when it comes to Smash. Most main Mario characters have been in the Yoshi series but none of them use their designs from that game nor do that have the Yoshi symbol. I'm not gonna use the word 'deserve' here but it would be nice to get another Yoshi rep, especially if it's Kamek.

D

Deleted member

there isn't an "end", because we don't know if an end could even happen. all speculation about spirits deconfirming people is entirely that, speculation, and there isn't exactly a reason why assist trophies can't become playable characters

you're singing doom and gloom mostly because you don't personally have that many more characters you could want in
You couldn't be more farther from the truth. Had we not gotten that statement from Sakurai about how Ultimate's DLC is being handled, I would've had a lot more choices to go from, but since Nintendo had a more prominent stake in this iteration of Smash's DLC, I can't help but to try and think of what people would want and what Nintendo would want.

And now with Hitagi on record saying "people will be satisfied", I can't help but to be more realistic when it comes to who should be the next Smash character, as much characters I'd love to see.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Out of all of those choices, I actually do see Phoenix Wright having a shot. He is still pretty popular in Japan, but what about Americas and Europe? I'm not asking that as in "Are they REALLY that popular", I just wanna know if they still got that oomph for Phoenix, because it has been quite the while since the last Ace Attorney game.

And if Sakurai can make a moveset for Piranha Plant and Phoenix has a UMVC3 moveset, there's no excuse.
Phoenix Wright is, at the very least, infamous in the West among gaming culture, even if people haven't played the Ace Attorney series, they've at least heard of him.

As someone who wants both Nick and Crash, I still think Crash is the better option.
“Satisfying to everyone”
The desperate Golden Sun Fan in me is screaming to the gods right now
Come, ShadowGamer, the best place to scream at gods is the peak of Mt. Aleph.

Untouch

Smash Master
Also just because this guy hasn't heard anything about a character doesn't mean they're out.
I seriously doubt much info about DLC has gotten out yet (including Katalina).

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
R.O.B. has been sitting there for over a decade and still only has one rep. That's a travesty.
R.O.B. should've at least gotten a stage

Then go to bed.
Honestly it's almost eight in the morning and i'm assuming most of us stayed up. That's not very healthy, we all should rest.
And stay hydrated.
It's nearly 5 a.m. where I'm at, but I'm used to the odd schedule

D

Deleted member

Phoenix Wright is, at the very least, infamous in the West among gaming culture, even if people haven't played the Ace Attorney series, they've at least heard of him.

As someone who wants both Nick and Crash, I still think Crash is the better option.
I'll say this, though, I think unanimously the internet can agree that Pursuit ~ Cornered! is on Guile's Theme levels of notoriety. I can't think of anyone who doesn't know that song.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If these DLC characters mainly consist of third-party characters whose games I may or may not have played before, then no, I would not consider that "satisfying". That being said, a lot people here would likely be absolutely elated by a list like that.

What I find to be satisfying could be a complete letdown to the person next to me. A single person saying the DLC is satisfying doesn't really mean much when opinions on who should get in Smash have been scattered all over the place since Ridley and K. Rool got in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'll say this, though, I think unanimously the internet can agree that Pursuit ~ Cornered! is on Guile's Theme levels of notoriety. I can't think of anyone who doesn't know that song.
That's what I was getting at.

Phoenix Wrong, Boot to the Head, MvC:3, Unlimited Corners, Sprite and Music use in Internet Arguments for Role-Playing Purposes: all feathers in Phoenix Wright's cap.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The "satisfying to everyone" comment assumes there's diversity in the picks (in terms of the video game playing audience, not that type of diversity). Will it appeal to all tastes, like one character appeals to the mobile audience, one to the advanced hardcore players, one to casuals, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom