• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The "satisfying to everyone" comment assumes there's diversity in the picks (in terms of the video game playing audience, not that type of diversity). Will it appeal to all tastes, like one character appeals to the mobile audience, one to the advanced hardcore players, one to casuals, etc.?
Doubt it. There being characters that would satisfy casuals would dissatisfy hardcore fans.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i just don't think its worth singing doom and gloom over there being "no characters left" when we don't even know what the first dlc character is and how sakurai feels about double assist trophies/spirits. saying that there's no characters left after this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this point, because there is very obviously thousands of characters that are not in smash that could be in smash

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So my prediction is now Edelgard, Crash, Erdrick, Katalina and Steve.

Could see Byleth over Edelgard and Slime over Erdrick, but we'll have to wait and see. It's a shame that Rex will get passed over. both XCX and XC2 were released at the wrong time.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
the obvious thing with this "satisfying to everyone" comment is that its specific enough to stew interest in, but not so specific that there's actually any dedication towards it

if he says nothing and keeps being vague, he can keep up all this attention while also not technically being wrong and being metaphorically killed by the internet

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Are any of you guys doing these characters like Endrik and Katalina and sora for example because you actually want them and not because youe jumping on the bandwagon?

i feel like half of these are bandwagon picks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The "satisfying to everyone" comment assumes there's diversity in the picks (in terms of the video game playing audience, not that type of diversity). Will it appeal to all tastes, like one character appeals to the mobile audience, one to the advanced hardcore players, one to casuals, etc.?
If anything, I can guarantee you whether it'd be Katalina or any other mobile game franchise, they'd become the most controversial inclusion - and for good reason.

There are plenty of reasons why mobile games are pretty meh at best, but after the most recent Blizzard fisaco going on right now with not just with Diablo: Immortal, but them on record saying "most of our best devs are now producing mobile games for ALL our IPs" RIGHT AFTER the Diablo: Immortal announcement, I don't think any gamers would be happy to see a mobile game series that would have almost completely non-existent history with Nintendo suddenly join the ranks of Mario and Link in Smash.

People don't have faith in mobile game franchises simply due to a lot of obvious facts, but most notably with how some companies are taking this route. At the very least, Nintendo puts out that their mobile pursuits are an entirely different breed and will never obtrude their main focus. But imagine your favorite character not getting in, yet someone who looks like they came from Great Value-brand Fire Emblem joins the roster from a mobile game franchise?

The main purpose of these DLC sets is that they wanna sell them. Putting in a mobile game franchise of the likes of Granblue Fantasy and Dragalia Lost does not fit, nor will ever fit that purpose.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Are any of you guys doing these characters like Endrik and Katalina and sora for example because you actually want them and not because youe jumping on the bandwagon?

i actually really just want slime but everyone that's saying they want katalina is probably bandwagoning

D

Deleted member

People in the smash community bandwagoning? Say it ain’t so.

Although Erdrick did have some legit support before all these rumours appeared.

KMDP

Smash Legend
i actually really just want slime but everyone that's saying they want katalina is probably bandwagoning
Of course people think Katalina is getting in.

It is what the great and powerful Vergeben has decreed.

Untouch

Smash Master

theres been dragon quest support forever, most of the supporters just thought it was impossible until now

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i'm going to take initiative and say that if granblue lady comes out and i see people start saying "oh i actually wanted her in all the time"

no you ****ing didn't

you heard of her from the leak and just didn't want to say that smash bros could possibly ever make a mistake

osby

Smash Obsessed
Seriously WTF was Fat Princess?
Hey, she was one of my favorite characters in that game. And I think the problem was missing characters, not existing fighters.

Let's be honest its because she is now some people's waifu. :p
Ah, good old "if a female character got in, it's because she's someone's waifu" argument. What was the last time I saw this? Bayonetta? Lucina? yeah, I know it's a joke

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
theres been dragon quest support forever, most of the supporters just thought it was impossible until now
I most definitely remember Erdrick and Slime support before all of this...
Absolutely true.

It's sort of similar to people coming out of the woodwork en masse to support Skull Kid when they thought he had a chance, they weren't necessarily bandwagoning, they just didn't see the point of showing support until that point.

D

Deleted member

So what's the rundown so far? Steve, Katalina and a DQ rep?

Eh, can't say that it's good or bad. Depends on who the DQ rep is...
Terrible line-up, if you ask me. If these characters get in, then ****ing Poochy should get in. Not saying that you put out a terrible list, I'm sure you probably made this rundown because of these names keep getting thrown out and about.

There are a lot of things that hold back these characters, and if anything, I'd be very, VERY shocked if Dragon Quest even makes it in at all. You have the main composer who's a Japanese nationalist and the franchise still needing to put in work to get popularity over in the West and Europe. Remember that 3.1-2M copies of Dragon Quest XI comes from Japan, the 800K are probably from various countries.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
playstation allstars is good actually and is still better than smash bros in a lot of different factors (stages, character personalities, actually interesting playstyles)

D

Deleted member

PlayStation All-Stars has a pretty interesting history. If you look at all the backstory, it really feels like the devs were just doing the best they could but nobody outside of the team had any faith in the game at all, not even Sony.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hell, if I played that game, I wouldn't care that Crash isn't in as long as I got to play JAK AND ****ING DAXTER!!! I'd have loved that :yoshi:
I actually liked a lot of characters in that. Sly Cooper, Kat, Nathan Drake, Parappa the Rapper, Sir Dan... but a few 'all-stars' wouldn't hurt.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
playstation allstars had sir dan in it so its objectively better than smash ultimate sorry i don't make the rules

D

Deleted member

PlayStation All-Stars has a pretty interesting history. If you look at all the backstory, it really feels like the devs were just doing the best they could but nobody outside of the team had any faith in the game at all, not even Sony.
Don't forget that Sony used a Wii and probably Brawl for "inspiration".

Yeah.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's a shame, really. Even story modes were pretty impressive.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Lets be real, Dragon Quest makes perfect sense. It's the next big 80's/early 90s franchise to add.

Pac-Man - Dragon Quest - Castlevania - Metal Gear - Street Fighter - Mega Man - Final Fantasy - Sonic the Hedgehog

This looks pretty much perfect to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
New developers and all. I feel bad for the team.

...Though could we please stop with the "you need to KO the enemy in some special circumstance just to win" crap that Dissidia did? That's great for challenge modes/alternate gameplay. Just ringing them out or removing their HP is good enough, really.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, of course it flopped, then.

The tragic part is, I'm among the crowd who might have bought into PS All-Stars if it had, like, Crash, Snake and Cloud in it, but it didn't, so I didn't bother (one character (Raiden) was not enough to justify buying the game for me).

D

Deleted member

Lets be real, Dragon Quest makes perfect sense. It's the next big 80's/early 90s franchise to add.

Pac-Man - Dragon Quest - Castlevania - Metal Gear - Street Fighter - Mega Man - Final Fantasy - Sonic the Hedgehog

This looks pretty much perfect to me.
Seeing a lack of Ninjas and/or Gaidens in that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom